5.0 out of 5 stars lenk 500 torch
The Lenk 500 works great. It has more power than the smaller torches and delivers the heat needed to do the work I need. Soldering jewelry items, melting solder, making head pins, etc.
Published on March 29, 2010 by Karen M. Burns

Published 12 months ago by Colorado Contractor

5.0 out of 5 stars lenk 500 torch, March 29, 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Strongly recommend, September 22, 2011
This review is from: Wall Lenk LPT-500 Pro Torch (Tools & Home Improvement)
I purchased this for an online class I took that used heavy guage wire. It made balling up the ends of the wire so easy. I love the easy on, easy off. It just has a more substantial feel to it from the "creme brule" torch I started with.

2.0 out of 5 stars Piezo igniter didn't last long. Very expensive disposal torch., February 3, 2014
This review is from: Wall Lenk LPT-500 Pro Torch (Tools & Home Improvement)
Reason I'm writing this review is still I'm looking for a reliable, serviceable, replacement torch for my dead Lenk. I bought mine from Sears and it did last awhile, but now it sits in the garage pretty much useless unless you use a separate ignition source. The adjustable flame on mine is the older horizontal, slide style and it worked ok for what it was. One issue no one discusses is it fails to light in cold temps and/or at high altitude (above 10,000 ft). Also it's hard to light if it gets damp/rain-fouled in a backpack. In extreme conditions, I found the torch pretty much worthless; however, I don't think most people (say jewelers) have to worry about this.

Anyway, when my Lenk's igniter failed, a friend gave me a Cornwell Tools torch that was very similar but orange in color and with Cornwell labeling and slightly larger diameter body. It lasted half the time of my Lenk and seemed to leak if you didn't close turn the nob hard. It's slide control only adjusted the flame vs. shut it off too like the Link. So you had to crank on the dial counter-clockwise pretty good to prevent the butane from slightly leaking out over time...when you need it most (right?). I just got around to returning it to Cornwell for replacement. It might have a lifetime guarantee, of course, I have no idea when I'll get it back or how long it'll last next time.

Sadly, none of these torches seem to be lifetime tools and/or field-serviceable by the user. Seems they're designed like cheap cigarette lighters only these are very expensive yet disposable and made in China. Yeah, just go spend $50 a new one when the $.02 igniter fails, right? Well, I haven't bought a new one of these yet and probably won't until this customer gets what he pays for. Can you hear me now?

Fyi--I also have a couple Bernzomatic Mapp gas torches I use. These are priced around $40-$50, put out serious heat, and come with an adjustable flame plus a generous amount of (your choice) Mapp gas or propane fuel (14.1 ounces steel tank). These last a lot longer but aren't light-duty/pencil-type torches like I consider this Lenk torch or the Cornwell. Needless to say, one of these torches failed (the igniter). I called Bernzomatic and asked for a replacement igniter inside. The rep said they don't sell any parts. So I solved the problem. I ordered 100 of these igniters from China at $.02/ea and with some very minor mods, this torch is now 100% serviceable as far as the igniter is concerned. Bottom-line is it's pretty wasteful to throw away all these torches just because the $.02 igniter fails...not to mention the inconvenience of a $50 tool suddenly going worthless when you really need it. They should sell replacement igniters for $5/ea and they'd make over 4000% profit on the part alone and keep customers happy. Honestly, it's hard for me to recommend any of these torches with confidence although admittedly I haven't many of them. But I will say this from what I do know: it's a good thing these torch companies aren't in-charge of cordless tools or they'd probably be driven by non-replaceable triggers that wear-out in months.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love this torch, February 2, 2011
This review is from: Wall Lenk LPT-500 Pro Torch (Tools & Home Improvement)
The first on of these I owned did everything you could want and was quite hot compared to most butane torches, I used it alot and it lasted for several years. had to find another one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Short lived. P.O.S., June 12, 2013
This review is from: Wall Lenk LPT-500 Pro Torch (Tools & Home Improvement)
It was an ok torch while it lasted, but it shoulda lasted longer than 6 months. At first the safety lock wore out and after you turned torch off it stayed on. Next the igniter went out and now I have to manually light it with a Bic, and you cannot lock it in the on position, so know you have to hold the on button while heating it... not happy. I just placed an order for the Blazer Big Shot, I hope this is the last one I will ever buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just tried to use item for the first time and igniter is not working, March 20, 2014
This review is from: Wall Lenk LPT-500 Pro Torch (Tools & Home Improvement)
My first mistake was receiving this item and leaving it untouched in the original packaging until 3 days ago. I prepared to use it and could not get it to work. I have a friend that uses the very same torch so I took it to her yesterday. We discovered that the igniter is not working as the black button should click when pushed in. This is not happening. I'm going to try to contact the 3rd party for help with the resolution. The thought of having paid close to $50 for something that I can't get to work is making me kind of sick. Update - called Wall Lenk this morning and explained the situation. They were awesome and are sending a replacement. I've gone with a 3 star rating since there was an issue with the original product but the company is correcting the issue.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wall-Lenk LPT-500 Pro Torch, August 3, 2013
This review is from: Wall Lenk LPT-500 Pro Torch (Tools & Home Improvement)
I bought this torch because of the recommendation by Kim St. Jean in her new book (which I also purchased) "Metal Magic." She says that she uses this torch for all of the projects in the book, from soldering to enameling on copper. Ii needed a torch that would work on at least medium solder, if not hard solder.

This torch does flame hotter than my micro torch, but I still cannot melt hard solder with it, and it takes longer than I expected to flow medium solder. It's great for annealing, especially larger pieces, as it has a big flame. I don't like that I cannot control the size of the flame, to make it fine enough to really zero in when soldering on small pieces. So the control I was hoping for is not there. I can see that it WOULD be great for enameling, as the flame is quite strong.

My only real dissatisfaction is that it is HARD to push the button to ignite the flame. My hands are not that strong, and a man would probably not have this problem. I wish they'd taken into account that not everyone has hands of steel!

However, the price was about half of the cost through other supply sources, and at least I can now use medium solder when doing a complex assembly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice torch, November 3, 2014
Rebecca R. Chase (Fairfax,, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wall Lenk LPT-500 Pro Torch (Tools & Home Improvement)
great torch. Altho I have another torch, this one is a little more powerful and works great for 14 gauge wire and also for brass and bronze. It's a little harder to turn on than my other one, I have to use both hands to push the button to turn it on. So I only use it for heavier gauge wire and metals that don't "melt" as easily as sterling silver.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best torch ever!!!, April 27, 2014
This review is from: Wall Lenk LPT-500 Pro Torch (Tools & Home Improvement)
This is the fourth butane I have used for jewelry making and I LOVE IT! Flame is the hottest and anneals a piece of copper 2 X 6 inches rapidly. Unlike the other large butane torch I own, the LENK is easy to start and then turn the "on" switch. I am left handed with significant finger deformities from arthritis and found another jumbo torch impossible to turn on due to the location of the on switch.The gas tank capacity is more than adequate. The other large torch fuel tanks were inadequate. If you have been trying to find a butane torch a step up from the creme brulee size, this is the torch for you.

I'm am a metal smith student at the intermediate level and use the torch for annealing for fold forming, heat patina, and soldering,

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good purchase, June 11, 2013
This review is from: Wall Lenk LPT-500 Pro Torch (Tools & Home Improvement)
I bought this as a gift for my friend. We are both into metal smithing and this was recommended to me. I really like it. I haven't had any issues and it has lasted quite awhile

Wall Lenk LPT-500 Pro Torch