5.0 out of 5 stars I may be biased but...
This is the greatest book ever. Okay, Wallace is my dog. He is fantastic and lovely and has brought so much joy into our lives. I feel so proud every time I see him on the cover of this book.
Published 22 months ago by Clara Yori

3.0 out of 5 stars Sweet story, quick read
Published 18 months ago by Katharine

5.0 out of 5 stars I may be biased but..., August 30, 2012
This review is from: Wallace: The Underdog Who Conquered a Sport, Saved a Marriage, and Championed Pit Bulls--One Flying Disc at a Time (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wallace the Book, September 6, 2012
This book is an inspirational read for anyone. It is a MUST READ for anyone with a high drive Pit Bull at home! Wallace the Book details a great example of what can be accomplished when you believe in something, get off your bum, work hard, and keep moving forward. "Talk less, do more." That is the key!

Thank you Roo and Clara for being so dedicated and responsible. You two are just as much of an inspiration as Wallace. The road to true happiness and freedom for a problem child shelter Pit is a long one filled with judgement, frustration, and fatigue. You always put your dog first and it helped pave the way for many more to come. Thank you for sharing your story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great read from Jim Gorant, August 30, 2012
Wallace is a beautifully written, intelligent and heartwarming story about dogs and humans, how they become who they are, and their capacity to succeed and overcome adversity and perception. Jim Gorant, author of The Lost Dogs, the account of the fates of the dogs rescued from the Michael Vick dogfighting operation, has written Wallace with the same perfect blend of empathy, tension, drive and drama brought to his last effort. What's really first-rate about Gorant's writing is his ability to put a dog's (in this case, Wallace) challenges in context by allowing us to see what makes a dog who he is: We glimpse into the suspicious circumstances surrounding his birth, the prey-drive training he received, the shelter system into which he was placed, and the relationship of the people who tried to save him. By letting us see the people behind the dog, we can fully appreciate how we impact our faithful companions. But we also get to see the dog behind the people; so we can celebrate how Wallace impacted, for better, worse, and ultimately better, the lives of those who let him in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Class!!!, September 12, 2012
Top marks to Jim Gorant, Wallace is a must read. Once you start reading it's impossible to put the book down. I've been following the adventures of Wallace for the last several years through Facebook and his online videos on YouTube. In all these years, I never knew that he was such a troublesome teen and that his weight pulling and disk work were ways to curb his outlandish behavior. I'd also like to commend Roo and Clara for opening themselves up and letting Jim write about their relationship, not only with Wallace and their other dogs but also their own relationship. This is a book that I will definitely read again and can't recommend enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, Inspiring book!, September 13, 2012
Kara Lifka (aubrey, tx, US) - See all my reviews
I do Pit Bull Rescue so Wallace is a household name here. I could not wait to read the book about his life. This is a wonderful book, beautifully written and so inspiring. Once I started reading it I couldn't put it down!! I've always said "We love Wallace" even though I've never met Wallace or his family. After reading this book I now understand why I have such a strong connection to a dog I've never met. With the love and guidance of Roo and Clara, Wallace became not only a Superstar in the disc world but a Hero to all of us who work so hard to save these amazing dogs. This is a story about never giving up on someone. Of seeing the greatness that lies within and coaxing it out. I will never be able to thank Roo, Clara and Wallace enough for what they have done to show the true nature of such a misunderstood and maligned breed of dog. What I can do is continue leading by example. In Roo's own words "Don't talk, do." and 'Let the dogs actions speak." Wallace's actions have spoken volumes!!
A huge thank you to Jim Gorant. You pull us into the story, into the lives of these incredible people and dogs. I felt like I was standing on the sidelines, watching Wallace play and rooting along with the crowd.
This book is not just for Pit Bull lovers or dog lovers, this is book about never giving up on those you love. Wallace, We Love You!! Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational!, September 11, 2012
Never underestimate a shelter dog. This is an incredible story of a dog who was dumped at a shelter and labelled "un-adoptable" because he went crazy in the pen. He barked; he tried to climb the walls; he threw himself against the front of the pen as people passed by. He just wanted to get out and play! A pair of great volunteers saw this and worked with him. He played, and played, and played until he became a champion disc dog! This is a great read for all dog lovers. (Or a great gift for people who don't know yet that they are dog lovers!)

4.0 out of 5 stars That's Some Pit, September 27, 2012
Perhaps not the most eloquently written work of prose, but in this case, accessibility is more important than artistry. The story of Wallace and his humans is one that everyone should read and enjoy, laugh at, learn from, and shed a few tears over (spoiler warning: the ending may be an upbeat one, but there are a few tears to be had along the way.)

My only complaint is that I wish a few of the key players earlier in the book -- the cop who took Wallace to the rescue; those at the rescue who believed in Wallace and those who didn't -- had been interviewed for the latter part of the book, after Wallace's successes. Maybe they were interviewed and their reflections didn't work for the book, but it felt like a missed opportunity, nonetheless.

Not a complex read; for those of us who love pits, not even a revelatory read; but a satisfying read nonetheless, and one I can't wait to share with friends.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sweet story, quick read, December 28, 2012
I enjoyed the book, particularly the strength and commitment of Wallace's human companions. I actually ordered it thinking it was about Ultimate Frisbee, the game. I was more than happy to find out it was about Wallace the ultimate frisbee dog. My goof resulted in a good read. The connections to the book for me were pretty amazing as I had a wonderful dog adopted through the same organization and know firsthand the impacts of celiac and thyroid related illness. I appreciated the honest commentary throughout the book. I think it would have been easy to write in hindsight about the positive aspects of saving Wallace but I feel the book is much stronger with what seems like an objective reflection on a great dog and equally wonderful people.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised, September 16, 2012
BAST (Washington, DC United States) - See all my reviews
This would have been a good piece of fiction. The fact that the story is true makes it all the more endearing. The book is a quick read that will restore your faith in humanity. And it conveys a lot about how dogs learn and thrive. I loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, August 30, 2012
Jim Gorant's story telling is human and compassionate. He brings in multiple points of view and weaves them together in a compelling story line.

The story of Wallace is not just about a pit bull, Gorant captures the process of Roo and Clara as they discover the joys and frustrations of rescue work. This book shows rescue organizations need more foster families to help the shelter dogs, of any breed, find their forever homes.

'Wallace' is more than a feel good story, it is a reminder that dogs are not on-size-fits-all. Energetic doesn't not mean unadoptable and dogs like to have purpose.

Rate and Discover Movies