4.0 out of 5 stars amusing lighthearted contemporary
Deirdre Griffin feels like a ghost when compared to her siblings. This she feel is especially true as she is at best a wilted wallflower in comparison to her charismatic brother Tag, considered the "next big thing." As his personal assistant and house sitter Deirdre puts up with a lot, but in Austin, she abruptly quits when she feels he abuses her support of him...
Published 22 months ago by Harriet Klausner

3.0 out of 5 stars Wallflower tries DWTS
Wallflower in Bloom: A Novel is not my favorite Claire Cook book but if you want a cute and quick read to throw in your beachbag this summer then this latest from the author will fill the bill.

Published 22 months ago by JerseyGirl

3.0 out of 5 stars Wallflower tries DWTS, June 21, 2012
This review is from: Wallflower in Bloom: A Novel (Hardcover)

Dee Dee Griffin is the personal assistant for her very famous brother, Tag Griffin, a self-help guru who has his entire family, including his ex-wives, helping to run his new age worship empire. But none is so hung up in his personal sphere as sister Dee Dee; she is so into his life that she finds she has no life of her own. One day the fact that Tag's life is overwhelming her own life causes Dee Dee to chuck it all and disappear for a few days. While doing her disappearing act, Dee decides to try out for Dancing with the Stars and uses her brother's bigger than life self to get her on the show.

Dee learns about herself and her value while hitting the road and joining the Dancing with the Stars show; the book deals with the author's favorite topic - a woman's search for renewal and empowerment. This is a topic that has appeared in other Claire Cook books so Wallflower in Bloom: A Novel continues in that flavor.

The second chapter is one of the funniest for me when Dee is in the elevator with what turns out to be an old college friend of her brother, Tag. Other chapters are fun but not as laugh out loud funny as this. This is not my favorite Claire Cook novel,however, it is a lively and quick read for a day on the porch or at the beach this summer.

4.0 out of 5 stars amusing lighthearted contemporary, June 5, 2012
This review is from: Wallflower in Bloom: A Novel (Hardcover)

When her on and off boyfriend tells her he is marrying the woman carrying his baby, Deirdre explodes as he had told her no children. Intoxicated by drinking Tag's vodka, Deirdre uses her sibling's humongous massive online fan base to arrange for her inclusion on Dancing with the Stars as she decides it is past time for a wallflower to bloom.

This amusing lighthearted contemporary story is a strong coming of age tale as the wallflower struggles to overcome her doubts and insecurities. The storyline is fast-paced with readers rooting for the heroine to succeed at Dancing with the Stars and in Austin with Steve the garden guru. With a nod to America's Sweethearts, fans will enjoy the comedic yet deep look at a Wallflower in Bloom.

Harriet Klausner

5.0 out of 5 stars Wallflower in Bloom, June 18, 2012
This review is from: Wallflower in Bloom: A Novel (Hardcover)
Wallflower in Bloom by Claire Cook is a perfect example of fun chic-lit that is perfect for the summer sun in a nice vacation spot. It is also fun and sassy with the author's sense of humor, so it makes it that much more entertaining to read.

Wallflower in Bloom is an entertaining summer relaxing read. I wouldn't go so far as to say it is high literature or anything, but it is fun and breezy. The author is humorous and sassy, which is just what I enjoyed most about this novel.

The main character Deirdre often made me want to shake her for some of the choices she made, but you want to cheer her on and see her succeed nonetheless. Having this character be a Dancing with the Stars replacement "celebrity" is very unrealistic, as she wasn't a celebrity, her brother was. Fans of this show will more than likely really enjoy this book because of the focus of this in the novel. I'm not a fan, so I can't say I really enjoyed this being in the novel.

Overall, I found this novel to be entertaining and sassy, thanks to the author. I think it would make for an excellent beach read or summer read in general. I recommend it to all those needing a relaxing and funny read to pass the time this summer.

* Thank you to the publisher of Wallflower in Bloom, Touchstone, for providing me with a copy of this book for review. All opinions expressed are my own.

3.0 out of 5 stars Unlikeable heroine makes this an unlikeable read, June 17, 2012
This review is from: Wallflower in Bloom: A Novel (Hardcover)
One of the best parts of summer is the slew of lighter, fun reads that are published. I love nothing better than on a hot, steamy afternoon, sitting on my sun porch and diving into one of the new novels. The covers always promise so much and I have to say the cover art on this particular novel is wonderful and drew me in.

In this novel by Claire Cook, our protagonist is Deirdre Griffin. She is a woman raised in a tight knit family with lots of sibling rivalry and off-beat parents. That family is still most of her world, even as an adult. Her brother, Tag, has become a new age guru who is adored by the public and has become the family business. They all live on or near his compound and work for him in some way, particularly involved is Deirdre who is his personal assistant and gopher. Her life is dictated by him and his whims and over the years she has come to resent it. One night she has finally had her fill and, fueled by more alcohol that is wise, manages to get herself in the running for a spot on Dance with the Stars. Is this an opportunity for her to finally break away and no longer be the family wallflower or has she just put herself in a position of complete humiliation? Only by reading the book will the reader find out.

As I said at the beginning, I had high hopes for this narrative as the premise seemed off-beat and fun plus I have enjoyed other novels by this same author. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed and almost quit reading about half way in. The heroine is so whiny and unlikeable that I almost understood why the family treated her the way they did. Instead of having a character to cheer on, I ended up not liking any of the characters and found them all irritating. The first-person narrative can come across as fresh and witty but not this time. The overuse of similes was annoying and it just felt like it was trying too hard to be funny. I am glad that I finished out the book since the last 50 pages where more enjoyable and saved it from a 2-star rating. I will give it 3 stars, but it is on the low side of 3 stars.

Bottom line: A book that tries too hard to be funny and a heroine that is unlikeable equals a book that I would not have missed by not reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must for Your Beach Bag!, June 12, 2012
This review is from: Wallflower in Bloom: A Novel (Hardcover)
Another great read! I think a big majority of women can associate with the feeling of putting others first & losing one's self. Claire Cook's newest book is witty, clever and you just want to cheer Deidre on! A must have to add to your collection of great reads!

3.0 out of 5 stars A fun beach read for its target audience, June 7, 2012
Bill Weinberger (Kirkland, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wallflower in Bloom: A Novel (Hardcover)
Don't look at me like that. Sure, 3 stars means I did like this book, and I'm not even in the target demographic (a bit too male). I'm allowed to read something different once in a while. And enjoy it. So there. Besides, I like Dancing with the Stars.

What worked for me: The deadpan voice of the first-person narrator. Given her messed up personal situation and her hapless reactions, she could have some across as whining. By keeping her reasonably level-headed, the author makes it possible for us to stick with her. And by not making her too empowered or snarky, we don't get put off, either. Beyond that, the prose, dialog, settings, and descriptions are all first-rate. There is nothing to complain about in terms of basic writing skills.

What didn't really work for me, once it occurred to me, is believing that this powerful, effective personal assistant for a popular pop figure is so easily reduced to a hapless, clueless shlub. I was also put off by the completely inane relationship she has with her brother and the rest of her family. Sure, this is the source of conflict for the story. But this is one of those conflicts that could be resolved in about two minutes if just one of the participants would act like a grown up, instead of a thirteen-year-old.

As for all of the rigmarole dealing with Dancing with the Stars and Hollywood: this is reasonably believable and mostly fun. In some ways, I wish it could have been richer. Just as it all seemed to get rolling, everything is resolved. This is perhaps due to the short length of the book. I read it in only a few hours, spread over several days. This will be a fun beach read for those in its target audience. As for the rest of us, you may like it, too (especially if you are a DWTS fan, like me).

Disclosure: I received a free copy of this book for review.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun read, was hoping for a bit more...., February 11, 2013
I have read and enjoyed all of Claire Cook 's books. They are all fun and pretty light. This one has very little description or excitement. The characters were sarcastic and selfish. There was also very little humor. It was just OK.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of laughter & heart!, February 10, 2013
Nate_9000 (St. Louis, MO) - See all my reviews
I've enjoyed every Claire Cook novel that I've read, and this just might be my favorite. She has a knack for creating quirky, funny, memorable characters--and not just the protagonist. The supporting cast of characters in her books are always just as interesting. I laughed out loud several times and couldn't put it down. So my house is a wreck, but I thoroughly enjoyed this read about a character who dares to change her life. As a DWTS fan, I loved the inside look at the show, too. I highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys fun, breezy, yet heartfelt stories. Can't wait to read another by Claire Cook!

3.0 out of 5 stars Wallflower in Bloom, February 5, 2013
Llcombs (United States) - See all my reviews
Wasn't a huge fan of this book. It was the first book by this author and i probably wont try another. She's pretty funny but the book was boring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and Witty. A Delight!, February 1, 2013
This review is from: Wallflower in Bloom: A Novel (Hardcover)
"When in doubt, eat. When in eat, doubt." Love it! Thank you for a delightful read. It is great to laugh!

ARRAY(0xa71855f4)

Wallflower in Bloom: A Novel
Wallflower in Bloom: A Novel by Claire Cook (Hardcover - June 5, 2012)
$24.99 $18.29