- Save 5% on your order with Disney Vault. Enter code DISNEYV5 at checkout. Enter code DISNEYV5 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
- Save 1% on your order with Disney Vault. Here's how (restrictions apply)
- Save 5% on your order with Amazilla Media. Enter code AMAZILLA at checkout. Enter code AMAZILLA at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Walt Disney Treasures - Behind the Scenes at the Walt Disney Studio
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Special Offers and Product Promotions
During the '50s, Walt used his studio as a backdrop for several episodes of the Disneyland TV series. "The Story of the Animated Drawing" traces the history of the medium, including re-creations of Emil Reynaud's Théâtre Optique (1892-1900) and Winsor McCay's vaudeville routine with his landmark film Gertie the Dinosaur (1914). "Tricks of Our Trade," which focuses on the creation of Sleeping Beauty, shows staged footage of four of the celebrated "Nine Old Men"--Marc Davis, Milt Kahl, Frank Thomas, and Ollie Johnston--sketching. In the DVD bonus material, host Leonard Maltin traces the development of the studio facilities from a Los Angeles garage to its present location in Burbank. Maltin also chats with Disney legend Joe Grant, who cowrote the "Baby Weems" sequence in Reluctant Dragon. Recorded at the time of Grant's 94th birthday, the artist displays the sly wit that continues to inspire animators. (Unrated: Suitable for all ages: cartoon violence) --Charles Solomon
Top Customer Reviews
Disc One opens with "A Trip through the Walt Disney Studios." This was the first short of this kind Disney did. It also served as a promo to movie houses for Snow White. The optional pop-ups are interesting, and I loved getting a chance to see the first studio.
"How Walt Disney Cartoons are made" is a slight edit released to the general public to build excitement for Snow White. Both of these were included on last year's release of that movie.
The last item on the first disc is "The Reluctant Dragon." In it, Robert Benchley takes a tour while trying to find Walt to pitch a story idea. There are several fun animated sequences as well.
Disc Two is three episodes of Disneyland that break the animation process down further. This is the real meat of the set. They are a fun mix of explanation and clips from their movies and each end with a segment from Fantasia.
"The Story of the Animated Drawing" has a fascinating look at the history that lead up to Disney. I'd never realized some of what came before. This one is shown in black and white, but it still interesting to watch.
"The Plausible Impossible" focuses on story-telling in animation. It features the famous "Music in Your Soup" sequence that was cut from Snow White. This was the first time I'd seen it all the way through, and I'm shocked it was cut.
The last episode, "Tricks of Our Trade," focuses on things animators do to help them draw realistically. Not much I didn't know here, but still fun to watch.Read more ›
BEHIND THE SCENES AT THE WALT DISNEY STUDIO - DISC ONE
* Welcome and Introduction by Film Historian Leonard Maltin
FEATURES AND SHORTS
*A Trip Through The Walt Disney Studio (Short, 1938)
*How Walt Disney Cartoons Are Made (Short, 1939)
*The Reluctant Dragon (Feature, 1941)
DISC ONE SUPPLEMENTAL FEATURES
* Video Feature: "Leonard Maltin's Studio Tour"
For his television programs, Walt Disney often invited viewers right onto the lot at his Studio in Burbank. In this new video element, Leonard Maltin uses Walt Disney's own television programs to create a unique tour around the Disney Studio lot, from 1954 to today.
* Behind The Boards On Baby Weems
A look at this uniquely animated section of Disney's The Reluctant Dragon
* The Reluctant Dragon Gallery
* Walt Disney Studios Gallery
BEHIND THE SCENES AT THE WALT DISNEY STUDIO - DISC TWO
* Welcome and Introduction by Film Historian Leonard Maltin
TV EPISODES (47 min. each):
*The Story Of The Animated Drawing (TV Episode, 1955)
*The Plausible Impossible (TV Episode, 1956)
*Tricks of Our Trade (TV Episode, 1957)
DISC TWO SUPPLEMENTAL FEATURES
* Film Historian Leonard Maltin provides individual introductions to each feature
* Radio Program "Tour of the Disney Studio"
* Radio Program: "Tour of the Disney Studio" (1946) from the Walt Disney Productions Sound Department.
* Kem Webber Gallery: Through this thumbnail still gallery, you can see behind-the-scenes photos of the Disney Studios, as well as backstage peeks at the making of each of the films and programs featured in this compilation.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
The best Disney Treasures collection ever made... this is quite the gem... This is a perfect buy for any Animator, Animation Lover, Fan, or Fanatic. Read morePublished 2 months ago by J. Hathaway
Sadly both discs are faulty. This is unusual for Amazon marketplace. Their products are usually very good. All other disney products i have purchased have been perfect.Published 3 months ago by John of Birkdale Queensland
There is a bunch of stuff here that other reviewers have listed so I'll skip that. The best part IMHO is the terrific behind the scenes look at the Disney cartoon operation c. Read morePublished 14 months ago by Al Hence
I had only seen the excerpted cartoon of "The Reluctant Dragon" before. It's so good to see it in its full context. Read morePublished on January 14, 2014 by Kevin D. Levellie
The end of Wave two of the Walt Disney Treasures series rounds out with another great nostalgia piece from the Studios' golden years. Read morePublished on September 5, 2013 by DR SHOCK
The end of Wave two of the Walt Disney Treasures series rounds out with another great nostalgia piece from the Studios' golden years. Read morePublished on October 26, 2010 by ! MR. KNOW IT ALL ;-b
If you love Walt Disney, and Disney animation, you need to have this set.Includes some very rare footage, including the deleted scene from Snow White "How They Got The Soap Out Of... Read morePublished on October 3, 2010 by Patricia Block
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Animation
- Movies & TV > Boxed Sets > Classics
- Movies & TV > Boxed Sets > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Boxed Sets > Documentary
- Movies & TV > Boxed Sets > Drama
- Movies & TV > Boxed Sets > Kids & Family
- Movies & TV > Boxed Sets > Westerns
- Movies & TV > Classics
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Kids & Family
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment > All Disney Titles
- Movies & TV > Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment > Animated Movies
- Movies & TV > Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment > Walt Disney Treasures