4.0 out of 5 stars This is one "get-it-done" woman
"The earth was naked. For me the mission was to try to cover it with green." - Wangari Maathai

Growing up in the shadow of Mount Kenya in Africa, Wangari is surrounded by an umbrella of green trees. The trees protect the birds, provide firewood to the women of the village and help keep the soil rich for the sweet potatoes, sugarcane and maize Wangari helps to...
Published on October 20, 2008 by Armchair Interviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Topic: Great. Art: Great. Storytelling: Needs work.
Wangari's story is important, and she is an amazing woman. I always enjoy Jeanette Winter's spare and poetic storytelling.

But here, I find her storytelling flawed. I got this book for my 8 year old when her class was studying Kenya. It was a good fit of topic and tone, except the narrative was incomplete. One page Wangari is getting beaten by the police, then...
Published 11 months ago by Maria Beadnell

5.0 out of 5 stars summer project, April 2, 2014
This review is from: Wangari's Trees of Peace: A True Story from Africa (Hardcover)
this was on my son's reading list for the summer. He enjoyed it. we were even able to loan it out to a few students that did not get to purchase it

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful story for children, February 27, 2014
I shared this story with a class of 4th graders and it was a HUGE success. The true story of one woman's life, growing up surrounded by the rich green forest of Africa, and winning a scholarship to study in America. She returns to her homeland, only to find it barren. Her quest to change the landscape of her country is inspiring to all. My students quickly understood that the key factor in her successful endeavor was a good EDUCATION! One person can make a difference!:) The Green Belt Movement was started with one woman and nine seedlings--life is good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring book for any age, November 17, 2011
As a teacher, books like these are invaluable to building a classroom around activism, peace, and the power of an individual. One of my favorites.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wangari's Trees of Peace, April 24, 2011
This is a beautiful true story of how one woman can make a huge difference in her country with persistence and cooperation. Wangari Matthai's books give a wonderful picture of the complex history of Africa and of hope for the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lesson for our time., July 20, 2014
An excellent book, beautiful illustrations. Provides a wonderful example of what just one person can do when that person's example is followed by others. All children, and adults too, should be exposed to books like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars My children LOVE this book!, February 10, 2011
My twins (age 7) and son (age 5) love this book. We especially enjoy taking it to school to share during reading time with the other students. Thanks for such a wonderful book!

5.0 out of 5 stars I have bought MANY GIFT copies of this book. ..., December 3, 2014
I have bought MANY GIFT copies of this book . . . a VERY IMPORTANT BOOK of peace AND GREEN ECOLOGY . . . I will keep gifting it . . ..

4.0 out of 5 stars Advanced 6 year old loves this book, June 26, 2012
My six year old son thinks this book is really good. He is very big on environmentalism and "fairness." He was very sad about the author's imprisonment, and that part of the story may be hard for some kids to take. I look at it as a chance to talk about right and wrong and different cultures and he appreciates that so I wouldn't keep him from it. An inspiring story and great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, November 23, 2014
Good book. Quick shipment, good pricing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring story., January 20, 2014
Valeria Whiting (WILMINGTON, DE, US) - See all my reviews
Great illustrations and my 12 and 9 year old loved that the story was true. I was thrilled to learn something new as well.

Wangari's Trees of Peace: A True Story from Africa
Wangari's Trees of Peace: A True Story from Africa by Jeanette Winter (Hardcover - September 21, 2008)
$17.00 $13.90