Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on December 3, 2011
Two short stories with Christmas and sex as the theme. Both of the stories are filled with errors and omissions which are sometimes laughable. It's sad that people will use Christmas as a way to sell their products. I do understand that "sex happens", even during Christmas; it just seems these two shorts had Christmas loosely written into the story so they could be marketed at this time of year. I felt that the second story was more believable than the first, but both were done in by a lack of concern for proofing and editing. Perhaps the author ought to sit on Santa's lap and beg him to bring her what she really needs for Christmas...an EDITOR.
22 comments|51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 5, 2011
Naughty or Nice - 3 Stars
Kate Carson is travelling on business and just wants to get home for Christmas with her family. A winter blizzard sneaks in to ground her plane and her hotel room has already been given to another stranded person. Derek Worth volunteers to let her stay in his suite, with some ideas of how they can keep warm in the storm.

A MacKenzie Christmas - 4 Stars
Grant MacKenzie is 30 and ready to settle down to a wife, but it looks like he'll have to look outside of his hometown of Surrender, Montana because the woman he wants doesn't seem to be interested. Annabeth Martin has long had a thing for Grant MacKenzie, but he doesn't come around anymore. She's never believed in Christmas wishes or miracles, but maybe she'll get a special gift this year.

I enjoyed these two stories, the second one a bit more than the first. I got this book as a Kindle freebie, so I was fine with the stories, but if I paid for them, I might feel a bit cheated. When I first downloaded the book, I expected a couple of PG stories, but these are definitely rated R. This was my first time reading this author and, while there are some typos and a few missing words, I still thought the author wrote well. Unfortunately, the errors are pretty glaring (I was going to title my review "... Is A Proofreader", but decided against it.) and do interrupt your reading rhythm. There was nothing particularly Christmas-y about the stories - they could have easily been set during the spring - but I didn't have a problem with that. After reading the second story, I might check out the books about his cousins. Overall, 3.5 stars.
These two stories, one a short and the other a small novella, were surprisingly detailed in their character development and imagery. Both are erotic/explicit romances, so they are not for the faint of heart.

The first short story, "Naughty or Nice", goes from zero to oh-my-goodness! in very few pages. The development of Kate's character in the first two pages was so skilfully done that it makes the speed of the relationship a bit disconcerting until you read the end and realize why. This one is definitely more explicit, and feels a bit more unreal until the resolution which explains all, but that feeling still lingers just a bit. A bit more development of Derek's character or more backstory at the end might have smoothed it out for the reader.

In "A Mackenzie Christmas", the story feels much more genuine. Coming from a large extended family, I can totally relate to Grant's need for some space which leads to the romance. The progression of the relationship, while fast, makes at least a bit more sense, given the backstory as presented. **Spoiler** Although, I felt that the proposal was too over the top for this story. **End Spoilers**

As for grammar, that does mar these tales at the most inopportune times. There aren't that many of them as compared to many kindle freebies, but you are so immersed in the plot when you hit them that they knock you out of the rhythm of the story like a croquet ball being knocked out of the game. The one that really did me in was, "Her mouth was veracious, never slackening as she felt him..." I really don't think that what was occurring had anything to do with the main character telling the truth at that moment. If the errors were fixed these stories would be solid 4 stars, maybe even 4.5.

The only other thing which really bothers me is the lack of protection/concern for the couples. In the first story, it makes more sense later on why that might be the case but for the mini-novella it makes no sense at all.

Overall, worth reading if you enjoy the genre and have thirty minutes or so to spare.
on December 28, 2011
This book has two very short stories in it. I enjoyed the second story better than the first story. Yes there is quite a few sex scenes so this book is not for the person who does not like read about that nor is this book for a teenager.

The bunnies and I give this book 4 Carrots.
on December 12, 2011
The two contemporary short stories (one in Windy Chicago city setting and the other in small town country setting) contained in this freebie are decent and memorable. The author manages to develop some back story and even secondary characters with some careful choices. The first story progresses on a twist, with an ending that's just slightly too easy and pat to be completely satisfying, and the second story's level of conflict falls a wee bit short of believable. But all in all, a good introduction to the writer's style and voice. Some word choice errors commonly found in free samples, but they rarely intruded on my reading experience. I'll be looking to read more by this writer. Recommended.
on January 5, 2012
Since this book had two short stories in it, I'll review each separately, then the book as a whole. First up is NAUGHTY OR NICE. While it started out great with good writing and decent descriptions, it quickly went downhill. Kate and Derek meet and it was at that point I should have cut my losses and walked away. But I didn't... The plot was weak and lame, the characters were TSTL, the dialog was okay though. There was spelling and editing errors. And I find it hard to believe no one caught the name mistake...

The twist at the end infuriated me. And, unfortunately, it's not the first time I've seen it. And then after that epicfail the story gets dragged on longer. I'm upset with myself for reading this one...
Rating: 0.5/5

The second story up is A MACKENZIE CHRISTMAS. This one was just slightly better than the first. The only point that made it more enjoyable was the humorous moments. The characters were okay aside from Annabeth and Grant who were TSTL. But Annabeth has the added bonus of being depressing. Yay me.

The ending was so unbelievably lame, cheesy and corny. Like with the first story, I should have walked away. *Headdesk*
Rating: 1/5

Overall, I was highly disappointed with myself for reading all of this book, even though there was HEA's all around, I wasn't happy at all. I felt the best points in both stories was the pacing and dialog. But it's not good enough to recommend based on that, this book is a waste of time, even if it is short.
on February 28, 2012
About the best thing about this story was the fact that it included a very short Mackenzie Family story that left us wondering WTF? First of all, both stories were way too short and should have been longer the author tried to cram too many details in a few pages and left me disappointed. One bright spot is I discovered the Mackenzie Family and now I'm hooked. Other than that I give this story two open mouth yawns and a fluffy pillow and a sleeping pill. Cause that's how I felt, sleepy halfway through this story and ended up shutting off my Kindle and going to bed. If it weren't for the fact that it was free I would have asked for my money back.
on December 29, 2011
Both stories would have been a lot better if they weren't so short. I always find myself wanting more with short stories, and don't tend to bother with them. But these 2 short stories were free so I gave it 4 stars instead of 3. I too noticed all of the typos and even though it threw me off a tiny bit, it didn't bother me to the point where I wouldn't finish reading. As someone else said, the author gave this as a free gift to her readers. But I also agree with the other aspect too- before you put something out there, free or not, maybe it should be proof-read. Only for your reputation as an author, if nothing else.
This was my first time reading this author, and am contemplating getting the other 3 in the MacKenzie series.
Question: It says 50 print pages on most of them- how much does that come to be in kindle pages?? (I am new to Kindle as I just got a fire for Christmas.) I don't know if I want to bother buying them if they are REALLY short stories.
on July 10, 2013
The first story had me going till the end but I like that and the second story was just a pure love story,liked them both but also like longer books and more details in the characters and back stories. All in all a good book
on December 17, 2012
For me the main female character (heroine?) in this novel was not likable. Which spoiled the book a little for me. But that is just my opinion. I would recommend it, because it was a funny read and I don't regret taking the time to read it.