I Want The "Old" Multiplayer Spy vs. Merc Back!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 12, 2013 4:22:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 16, 2013 9:52:47 AM PDT
Jolly Roger says:
It's April 12, 2013, and I haven't seen ANY footage on the spy vs. merc multiplayer that Ubisoft supposedly said they were going to bring back. The developers keep saying that they want this to be one continuous game where there is a central hub to seamlessly play either multiplayer, coop or the single player. I'm sorry to sound like a Debbie Downer here, but how can they possible bring back the "true" Chaos-theory-like multiplayer if it is like the single player??!!

Like it or not (it didn't bother me at all), Ubisoft created two very different games...the single player and the multiplayer. There was no "story" to the multiplayer...the spies tried to complete their objective on different maps and the mercs tried to stop them...period. Simple, but ingenuous in implementation. It was the classic hide and seek, but on steroids.

I'm a huge old school (i.e., from Pandora and Chaos Theory) multiplayer fan, and Blacklist, like Conviction, will be a no-buy for me if the multiplayer is terrible (or not there--see Conviction--in future games). The online cry for the Chaos Theory spy vs. merc is definitely out there (and has been for YEARS), but it seems like the cries fell on deaf ears. I hope the devs don't mess it up again...for the old school multiplayers, that is. But, I don't have high hopes, particularly since we are hearing such a push to have the single player "match" the multiplayer. And without any footage on the multiplayer, I can't decide whether to even pre-order.

Posted on May 2, 2013 3:55:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 2, 2013 4:04:52 PM PDT
Rebel leader says:
They just released a trailer for SvM:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhhx2qk5cgI

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2013 4:36:15 PM PDT
Jolly Roger says:
@ Rebel leader: Hi, Rebel! Yes, I saw that today (I had that trailer calendared so I wouldn't forget to see it!). It looks VERY promising! I'm hoping they'll reveal more over the next couple of months. But, so far, they've got my pre-order!

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2013 12:53:22 PM PDT
Rebel leader says:
I just hope the core is like CT's SvM. Hopefully there's no heartbeat for mercs or distance hacking and from this trailer it seems it has neither =D. I hope they release a 1 map demo of this.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2013 11:18:18 AM PDT
Rebel leader says:
Hey previews have been released:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIeuR...layer_embedded

Posted on May 7, 2013 12:37:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 7, 2013 12:49:34 PM PDT
Jolly Roger says:
@Rebel leader: It says that the video doesn't exist when I click on the link. But, I was able to find it here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-07-splinter-cell-blacklist-preview-the-king-of-multiplayer-returns.

I was honestly a little disappointed when I heard that they were making classes with each of the spies and each of the mercs...one is the predator, the other one can use gadgets, etc. I think this is a huge mistake. I don't like having to rely THAT much on other team members since this makes having a real tight team an absolute necessity...something that doesn't happen often unless you play with the same players all the time. I feel that each merc should have the SAME abilities and each spy should have the SAME abilities...period. Now, I'm not sure if I completely understand the preview, but I thought I heard that you can select "Classic Mode" where it would be two spies vs. two mercs...like the good old days. Hopefully that mode will be where the spies have the same abilities and the mercs each have the same abilities...with NO CLASSES.

I'm happy that SvM is back, and I'm glad that we MAY (I need more info I think) have the option to play "old school." Keep posting if there are new videos. That was helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2013 2:19:01 PM PDT
Rebel leader says:
I see that the url shortened so that was the problem.

I don't like how spies are essentially like assassin's creed characters now =(. And I am also hopeful of Classic mode.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2013 3:45:30 PM PDT
Jolly Roger says:
@Rebel leader: THAT's what it is! I was thinking that there is something familiar about the spies vs. merc gameplay that I didn't like and I couldn't put my finger on it! Yes, you are exactly right! I didn't like that either as far as the spies acting like the Assassin's Creed multiplayer character, doing these moving kills and all. Like you, I am hoping that the Classic Mode takes out those "enhancements" and allows the spy to kill by (i) snapping necks (now THAT is classic!), (ii) jumping on the mercs and (ii) pulling over the ledge. Great call on that one, Rebel!

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2013 3:45:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 7, 2013 3:46:30 PM PDT
Jolly Roger says:
@Rebel leader: THAT's what it is! I was thinking that there is something familiar about the spies vs. merc gameplay that I did NOT like and I couldn't put my finger on it! Yes, you are exactly right! I didn't like that either, as far as the spies acting like the Assassin's Creed multiplayer character, doing these moving kills and all. Like you, I am hoping that the Classic Mode takes out those "enhancements" and allows the spy to kill by (i) snapping necks (now THAT is classic!), (ii) jumping on the mercs and (ii) pulling over the ledge. Great call on that one, Rebel!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Apr 12, 2013
Latest post:  May 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist - Playstation 3
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist - Playstation 3 by UBI Soft (PlayStation 3)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (245)