Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on July 21, 2010
*******TREAD WITH CAUTION. MAJOR SPOILERS LIE AHEAD.*******

This entire series has been such a treat. Having a Y chromosome and all, it's kind of embarrassing to say that I have read, much less immensely enjoyed, this entire series. Wanted is no exception. Even though it was bittersweet having to see this series end, its time had come. Only so many people can die and be framed for murders they didn't commit. It ended at the perfect time, too: right before it started getting annoying.

This is by far the most twisted, convoluted, and mind-boggling book in the series. But, when we are first introduced to "Courtney," and Sara Shepard went with the "the evil twin did it!" angle, I was pretty disappointed. Then, when she revealed that she is actually Ali, I was actually angry with this book. I was thinking the series would end with Courtney actually being the sister who was dead, Ali being alive and well this whole time, and everyone living happily ever after, and that would have been a terrible ending. Of course, in Rosewood, nothing is ever, ever, as it seems. I should have known that by now.

I was actually very pleased with how Sara Shepard twisted the evil-twin thing into something much more than that. I had to read the note from the-real-Ali at the end three or four times before I really digested what was going on. The whole "the Ali that Aria, Spencer, Emily, and Hanna were best friends with wasn't really Ali at all, but really a twin named Courtney posing at Ali. And then the real Ali was thrown into a mental hospital, and then came out posing as Courtney. So the four main characters were never friends with Ali, but Courtney-as-Ali, and Courtney isn't Ali at all, but Ali-as-Courtney, and she's trying to kill them all," was definitely convoluted, but was probably the most ingenious conclusion to a series this complex. I applaud Sara Shepard for even being able to come up with a solution to all the crazy things that have been happening throughout this series.

It was also nice seeing how all the girls, pretty much, got a happy ending. They're all moving on with their lives and what-not. Emily has always been my favorite of the four, probably because she's the most tragic of them all. It was almost heartbreaking seeing how much she was clinging on to Ali's (or Courtney-as-Ali...oh, screw it) memory, and how she just couldn't accept that her first love really is gone, and how she finally had to come to terms with the fact that the-real-Ali wasn't the Ali she knew, but a girl trying to kill her. Phew, run-on sentences, anyone? Anyway, Hanna was probably my least favorite, even though I had a special fondness for her, anyway. I would want to feel sorry for her so bad, and when you finally did, she'd turn around and be such a bitch that you'd forget liking her in the first place. However, she was still an interesting character, popularity-obsessed bitch that she is.

However, I did notice a major plot hole. It's completely unbelievable that a ring marked "A" or "C" was the only thing that could possibly tell the two sisters apart. The fact that Mrs. DiLaurentis mistakes Ali for Courtney simply because she's wearing a ring with a "C" on it instead of an "A" is pretty unrealistic. However, it didn't ruin the idea for me; it was just something I noticed.

Also (am I rambling?), the one part of this book that made no sense to me was the epilogue. I milled it over three times and still don't know what it means. Is Ali alive and gone to another school, where she can wreak havoc there? That's the only conclusion I can come to.

Overall, I'm going to miss this series so much. It's unlike anything I've ever read, especially since I never read books like this. Sigh. At least I still have the TV show, hot mess that it is. And, of course, Sara Shepard's new series is coming out this December.
VINE VOICEon June 12, 2010
I admit that I love chick lit and I also love a wickedly riveting series, such as the Pretty Little Liars Series. It is a pleasant departure from the usual mean girl cliches like the "Cliques," "Sweet Valley High" and other series portraying girls at their cattiest.

Dramatis Personae

Alison "Ali" DeLaurentis: a bright, popular girl who led a clique of other rich, indulged girls. The others are more like satellites than actual friends as they know Ali is a powerful ally to have. They drop designer names every chance they get. They live in Rosewood, a suburb of Philadelphia on the Main Line. Ali, known for insidious cruelty has plenty of secrets. So do the other girls, all of whom have good reason to want Ali to do a permanent disappearing act.

Aria, an attractive, athletic brunette who was glad to escape Rosewood for Iceland. She has a yak-fur bag to which she is inordinately attached. In every installment in the series, you can count on her to reach into that damn yak-fur bag for something. I admit I did get rather sick of that damn yak-fur bag. Aria's father accepts a teaching position there and for 3 years, Aria and her younger brother by 2 years Mike, learn Icelandic and absorb Icelandic culture. Unlike Mike, Aria wants to remain in Iceland. She has a painful non-Ali related secret - she caught her father cheating with another woman. Early in the series, Aria had an affair as well and her mother was involved with a man who tried to seduce Aria. She moves in with her father, new stepmother and sibling-to-be.

Spencer, the grind who sputters at the drop of a designer hat. She earns As and other academic plaudits for real. She has long been eclipsed by her favored older sister, Melissa and has a history of bird dogging Melissa's boyfriends. The second time she does this, her cold-hearted family ostracizes her. To make a bad thing even worse, they even canceled her credit cards without telling her and stopped inviting her to meals. Melissa, a pompous Drama Queen has long reveled in her Favored Daughter status and you just want to kick her in the shins.

Hanna, the former fat girl now turned femme fatale is the weakest link in the chain. Bulimic and insecure, she clings to whoever's wardrobe is most in vogue. These girls all drop designer names and flaunt fashion like it's going out of style. Hanna's relationship with her divorced mother is more like business associates than family. (Hanna's mother works for a company called McManus & Tate, which sounds like a spoof of the advertising firm of McMann & Tate in "Bewitched" [1964-72]). Her father's fiancee Isabel has a daughter Kate who is Hanna's age and Hanna feels that she has been replaced by Kate. In this installment, Hanna receives tickets to a high end fashion show that she believes her mother sent. She invites Kate and Kate's two satellites to join her, only to discover the tickets were a hoax. A is back in town, messing with the girls' minds again. Kate and the Satellites drop Hanna, which turns out to be a good thing in the long run because Hanna is then able to reconnect with the mother she thought had jumped her ship.

Emily is still discovering that love comes in the most unexpected places. A bisexual, she finally accepts that part of her life and it is possible that Alison might have shared her feelings? As the mysterious A continues to tamper with the girls' minds, Emily is all the more convinced that A is telling her that it is past time to come out. Perhaps Alison has something to do with whoever A is?

More mysteries abound. The DiLaurentis family trots out yet another family secret, one who has devastating repercussions on the lives of all of the girls as well as the casualties from the previous installments and the man who was arrested as being A, the Advanced Stalker.

But was he? In the penultimate book, a man was arrested for stalking the girls as A, but the question of his guilt remains. The DiLaurentis' family secret leads to clues and even more questions about to do with the A incidents. Over time, readers will ride the A train to find out who A really is and what this secret means to the Pretty Little Liars, as the Rosewood 4 are called.

The Eagles' 1976 classic "Hotel California" is the town of Rosewood's Anthem as Rosewood and this series is a place where you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave. I loved the series and the conclusions (yes, conclusions) are very cataclysmic!
on June 8, 2010
I just finished this book and thought it wrapped up the series well. I'd recommend it, although it would be a good idea to read the other ones first. There were some really good plot twists and you didn't really know how the book would end until it did. I'm upset the series ended, and I hope the television show does it justice.
on November 8, 2015
This is the eighth book to the Pretty Little Liars series. We find out that it was Courteney DiLaurentis, Alison's twin sister, in the woods after the fire. And Mrs. DiLAurentis didn't want everyone knowing about courtney just yet since she had been in a mental institute this whole time. "Courtney" then reveals that she is actually Alison and that the girl they were friends with was Courtney pretending to be Alison so she could not go back to the mental insittiute, therefore locking Alison in the institute and Letting Courntey as Allison live a normal life. The girls are excited to have Ali back even though it's not the real one that they have a party at Ali's familys Poconos house. Melissa has diappeared and Spencer thinks that it was Melissa who killed Courtney. Once they get to the house it is revealed that Alison was the one who killed Courtney for stealing her life. She locks them in the house and sets the house on fire. They escape and Ali gets trapped inside the burning building before leaving Emily leaves the door open giving her somewhere to escape the house and not getting killed by it. The girls find Melissa in a closet with the corps of Ian. Meredith has her baby, HAnna and mike are back together as well as Aria and Noel
on October 13, 2011
Wanted is the 8th book in the Pretty Little Liars series and since it's been awhile since I read the series and I have to say I forgot a lot about it! I've also been watching the TV show, which is loosely based on the books, so when I read Wanted, I found myself thinking, "this isn't how it is on the show" or "I totally forgot they were together".

I just wanted to put this out there that since I first started reading the books, I was always Team Ezria, and after watching the show, which I love, I can't help but root for such an adorable couple.

Anyways, back to the book. Overall, it was a very light read, as each book is pretty short, but also very fun and entertaining. While reading the series, I kind of knew what the BIG secret was about Alison, but I definitely didn't expect it to be so twisted and I have to say that my favorite part was the big, climactic ending. I wasn't always sure who really killed Alison, and after reading Wanted, I can say that Shepard really blew me away with how crazy Alison's life really was.

Shepard stills plays on the girls' insecurity, which is a common thing in teenagers, of course, and it was fun reading about their little mishaps and misfortunes. She really plays on their memories and even the reader's ability to pick up on the subtle clues to uncover the mystery, which altogether makes this a great series to read. Poor Hanna and her issues with popularity, Sweet Emily and her unresolved feelings for Alison, Practical Spencer and her family issues, and Little Aria and her boyfriend troubles.

There's nothing but drama in the lives of these Rosewood teens and you'll easily soak up all the juicy details. I also find it very clever of Shepard to leave the ending so open, leaving room for the three additional books to the series that wasn't even planned. She's a great author and I really enjoyed the series and can't wait to read Twisted.
on July 8, 2010
I really didn't want this series to end. I couln't put the book down and ended up reading the entire book in one day. Was dying to know how everything turned out in the end (the suspense was too much). I felt that a few story lines were left unfinished, and felt that some parts were a little cliche. Although, I do think Sara Shepard did a great job of concluding the series. Loved the outcomes for each of the girls in the end. I would like to see spin-offs for some of the characters and storylines that were just touched upon. She is a fantastic writer and storyteller. I highly recommend this series. I cannot wait to read her next series "The Lying Game".
on November 14, 2012
I've like the Pretty Little Liars ever since a recommendation from a YouTube video. I had to try it out and wow, I'm so hooked on the series. I didn't see this book coming though I was wondering who's going to be A now.

Spoilers below....

I always suspected Ali wasn't really gone and the twin sister twist was great. And I'm certian she still isn't dead by the end of this book because the series keeps going. I recommend this series and book to anybody who enjoys a good read, young or old.
on October 26, 2011
I found this book to be a very fantastic read and really enjoyed the story, the characters, and the excitement of it all. This book added to the story line and helps peak the interest of the reader. Reading the books of the Pretty Little Liars series was more enjoyable then watching the tv series. The books flowed really nicely and showed how the story should truly be told unlike the tv series. Highly recommend to all...
on May 13, 2015

Writing: 8
Ending: 8

Total: 8.5

In Depth

Best Part: So much action!
Worst Part: Unbelievable Plot Twist.
Overall Feels Felt: Seriously??; WTF; Whooo!

Conclusion

Continuing the Series: yes
Recommending: yes!
Misc.: Buddy read with Sharon Mariampillai Found HERE!

Short Review: I loved this book, it was a perfect way to end most of the story lines Sara had going on. Were they believable solutions? Eh, i had trouble with some. I rather not spoiler, but i will say, i felt grasping at straws, but it was well done. I am beyond anxious to see where this series is gonna go now thou. Lots of nail biting. Especially since it's written a couple months down the road, which this have always been pretty much back to back time frames so far. Very interesting to sees.
on March 7, 2012
This was a really, really good series overall. I started reading the books once I found out the television show was based off of a book series. I was addicted from the very first sentence on the first page. This last book answered a lot of questions and tied up loose ends like why was there a picture of Ali in the institution (that was really bugging me!). The author had me guess, second-guessing, and triple-guessing my theory as to who 'A' was and who REALLY killed 'Ali'. Everything was answered! I was very satisfied. Glad there are more books to read!