5.0 out of 5 stars No spoilers in my review
If you've not read 1 & 2, don't read this one until you do. They're a prerequisite. Yes, the "flash back" scenes are a necessary evil to all books in a series, and this one is no exception. However, don't rely on them to completely clear things up for you. If you do, you'll be missing out on some A+ story telling.

I read the book, from start to finish, not...
Published on April 1, 2012 by Road Rage

3.0 out of 5 stars Book 3
I'm giving this 3 stars, but I still like the series. Usually, if I give a book 3 stars I don't usually continue with the series. But with three books in, I feel like I should continue. And I still love all the characters, especially Jayne, she is extremely self centered, but with a great heart. I think her swearing is her redeeming quality with me.
I think the...
Published 15 months ago by heather

5.0 out of 5 stars No spoilers in my review, April 1, 2012
This review is from: War of the Fae: Book 3, Darkness & Light (Kindle Edition)

I read the book, from start to finish, not being able to put it down. I think it took me about 3 hours (maybe less) to read it, and I was seriously ticked that I was already done with it. I couldn't put it down!! I try to drag these books out as I read them because I know it'll be a long wait before the next one comes out, and I went against everything that screamed at me to slow down and I kept drinking it in.

Jayne does not disappoint, nor do her friends. While she is growing and recognizing her bad choices, she still acts like the kid that she is and runs head on into one thing or another, willing to deal with consequences later. I love that about her! There were twists and turns in the book that I thought could've been played up a little more, but it seemed like they were cut short. I think part of that comes from me not wanting the book to end, but I still wanted to see a little more "something" in some areas of the book. That's not a bad thing at all. It's just me wanting more. There weren't as many "LOL" scenes in this book, but that's ok. I do hope to see a few more of those in the next book because that's part of what makes this a well rounded series, in my opinion. I did learn a few new curse words which were actually pretty funny. Nope. Jayne's potty mouth is just as bad as ever, and that's ok! I wouldn't want to see Jayne change too much. I'm also usually pretty good at figuring out where authors are going with things, but Elle has surprised me in some of the scenes, which I really love!

Overall, this is a fantastic book in a fantastic series that should not be missed by anyone who loves Fae books. It's not your typical Fae story line that follows the traditional "fae" beliefs and mythology, which makes it really refreshing! Well done, Elle Casey!

5.0 out of 5 stars OH EMMM GEEE!!!! Elle Casey truly delivers a fantastic story series!!!, April 22, 2012
This review is from: War of the Fae: Book 3, Darkness & Light (Kindle Edition)
Ok I have got to say that that I have never been brought into a book so deep before as this series has. Elle Casey is freaking brilliant! I just finished the books 1, 2 & 3 in little over 4 days, thankfully due to slow nights at work hehe. In books 2, & 3 she gives a bit of information of explanation of the previous books (if you didn't read them. (side note: (which by the way is extremely generous of Elle to do). I couldn't imagine her books getting any better than they already are. I love Jayne's character. The comedy in some of the things that are said in all of the books just crack me up and totally love that. In book 3 near the end, I actually started getting teary eyed a bit. All 3 of these books have brought me into them emotionally. Her descriptions of places, people and things are so vivid that it puts you at the scene imagining the person, features, places and its amazing. This book is by far so suspensefull that I absolutely can...not...wait until book 4 comes out. I will be the first in line to buy it. GIVE US MORE ELLE! Love....LOVE....LOVE this book. Please I encourage you all to read these books in order, Elle Casey does not disappoints and truly delivers a fantastic story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best One Yet!, March 31, 2012
TKV (CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: War of the Fae: Book 3, Darkness & Light (Kindle Edition)
This installment of the series certainly is a little darker. There is a war starting and people are choosing sides. There's kidnapping and torture and betrayal. Not was Jayne betrayed by one friend, but another friend goes Dark Fae. Yet, through it all Jayne stands strong and stays true to her character. The subtle ways Jayne has changed since the series began are portrayed very well. She does a lot of growing up in this book, but she is still her smartypants self.I absolutely couldn't put it down (obviously since I'm writing this review the day it was released). Even though the war is revving up and some pretty bad things happen in this book, there is still a lot of laugh out loud humor and funny situations.

3.0 out of 5 stars Book 3, May 17, 2013
This review is from: War of the Fae: Book 3, Darkness & Light (Kindle Edition)
I think the only reason I will keep on reading the books though, is just to find out what happens to all of her friends. The author has done a great job in making this group a family that it will be hard to say goodbye to them. The best scenes are of them together, making fun of each other.
The first book was great, the 2nd book was good because you learn all about the fae, and the 3rd was extremely frustrating. To be honest, and this is a really bad habit of mine, but I have read some of the spoilers on the next books, particularly who she is going to end up with. And I'm extremely not happy with that, but that's just a particular opinion of mine. I am partial to the guy who the author builds up in the last 3 books as a great guy, rather than a guy who reminds Jayne of her evil step dad, who is going to suddenly change his personality.
Also, Jayne is smart, and she comes up with great questions that should be answered, but she tends to either put them aside or dismiss them altogether.
Overall, after reading the first two books I recommended this book to people, but now after the 3rd book I will be reconsidering my recommendation.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, January 11, 2014
This review is from: War of the Fae: Book 3, Darkness & Light (Kindle Edition)
This book disappointed me so much. Jayne was very annoying in so many ways. Every chapter was a repeat of what happen in the last book, a waste of my time. I constantly found myself skipping paragraphs because it was repeating the same thing. This writer needs to get it together.

5.0 out of 5 stars The War Begins for Jayne and Friends., March 21, 2013
**This Review Contains Some Spoilers**

The one thing I can always count on from author Elle Casey, is her uncanny ability to hook a reader into a story or series, and tie them relentlessly into the journey of not only the main protagonist, but also all supporting characters, both good and not so nice. The War of the Fae series is perhaps one of the best examples of this magical connection with her readers. Casey has created a whole world of characters that you very quickly care very much about.

The third book in the War of the Fae series, Darkness & Light, answers many of the questions left hanging by it's predecessor, Call To Arms, and kicks the story into high gear with a lot more action and drama than you can see coming.

We again find main protagonist, Jayne Sparks Blackthorn, adjusting to her life as a "Changeling", learning to move from the human world to her new Fae world. The power she is capable of calling up to her manipulation, known as "The Green", or Earth, is now linked to another element that she can wield, Water.

But all that power is not always an easy thing to manage. Jayne again finds herself stumbling in the dark with no guide as to how she can control these huge elemental forces of Earth and Water. But being in the possession of great power also leaves Jayne vulnerable to those who would wish to use her as a means to accomplish dark and mysterious ends. Jayne's natural streak of rebellion and independence puts her in harms way too often.

Now re-connected with her dearest friend Tony, Jayne finally feels as if things will begin to settle down. She could not have been more mistaken. The impending war between the Light Fae and the Dark Fae means that no-one can rest, and no one is safe.

Jayne's mischievous friend Tim the Pixie accidentally doses her personal body guard and Daemon protector, Chase, with his pixie dust, and Chase turns into a bubbly giggling mess. In an attempt to get help for Chase, and hide her mistakes, Jayne finds herself turning him over to the care of the Dark Fae. When Jayne goes looking for an update on poor Chase's condition, she herself gets taken hostage.

This third book in the War of the Fae series was by far the most action packed and surprising thus far. Jayne is one of the most compelling characters in modern fiction, equal parts rebellious teenager, warmhearted friend, and accident prone klutz. I also must add the one thing that makes her absolutely hysterical to read about, her almost constant use of the F-word, with almost Tourette Syndrome like ejaculations of cuss words at the most unbelievable moments.

As with the two previous novels in the War of the Fae series, I found the writing to be nearly flawless. Casey's ability to describe some very unusual and unique circumstances in a way that makes them immediately accessible to the reader is nothing short of brilliant. The level of sexuality in these novels is very tame, hugs and kisses thrown in here and there, but nothing that any parent would have reason to be concerned about. The language, while colorful, especially where Jayne is concerned, only adds to her charm, and is not beyond a level that most teens would be exposed to in the presence of their peers.

Bottom Line: You will not be disappointed for a moment by continuing to read on in the War of the Fae series, and both Young Adults and Adults alike will be chomping at the bit for more of this fantastic story. It really helps if you have read the first two books in the series, as it definitely helps to set up the world paradigm that Elle Casey has constructed for her characters to inhabit. This is a series you can be assured is worth reading over and over again, there is just so much to love about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Magical Book. This Series Just Gets Better and Better!, March 11, 2013
This review is from: War of the Fae: Book 3, Darkness & Light (Kindle Edition)
Things are definetly starting to heat up in Darkness and Light: Book 3 of War of the Fae. The fist two books dealt with Jayne and her friends finding out they were Fae and dealt with their training and how they reacted to finding themselves in an extrodinary world with extroidinary powers. In Book 3 they're still training but the additon of Jayne's best friend to the Fae really amps up the level of that training and things start to heat up as the war between Light and Dark ignites.

I enjoyed the first two books alot and this one didn't disappoint. Jayne is still Jayne, crude language and all. Tim is still a crazy pixie with bad gas and all of their friends continue to evolve, grow and change (some in not so good of ways). This book was a little more intense than the last two due to certain events that take place along with the brewing war but as always the way Jayne deals with every situation is so much fun. I like that not all of my questions have been answered yet and I cannot wait to see what happens next. I also really enjoy that these stories are not predictable. I have no idea what's going to happen next most of the time and anything and everything can and will happen. It really keeps you on your toes. The writing is superb and Mrs. Casey really has a way with words. There's just something special about this series that brings a smile to my face, it's impossible to have a bad day after reading them (maybe they have some type of pixie spell on them?).

5.0 out of 5 stars They keep getting better and better!, September 30, 2012
M. Palmer (Orange Park, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: War of the Fae: Book 3, Darkness & Light (Kindle Edition)
I'm totally hooked. By the time I hit the cliffhanger at the end of book 2, I knew there was no hope for my new addiction. I immediately bought books 3 and 4 and started reading. I've spent an entire weekend immersed in Jayne's world and loved every minute of it. Thank you, Ms. Casey, for a truly delightful weekend. My daughter can finally borrow my Ipod and read the series for herself. ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Consistently excellent plot with colorful and fun characters, August 20, 2012
This review is from: War of the Fae: Book 3, Darkness & Light (Kindle Edition)
Another page turner from Elle Casey! I would have finished it sooner but everyday life got in the way :-)
Elle has a way of holding the readers attention and making you care so much about the characters that you can't help but cry when something sad happens (as it does at one point in this book, but I won't spoil it for you) and laughing out loud during others. I love the irreverant main character. She says all the things I wish I had the nerve to say, but can't. I find myself thinking about the characters while I'm trying to go to sleep at night, while on a run, and while at work. And just wishing that I could get back to it. It's just one of those stories that grips you from start to finish and leaves you wanting more. I really, really, really am enjoying this series! So much so that as soon as I finished this third book I immediately picked up the fourth and final one for uninterrupted reading.
Thanks Elle, for sharing your imagination through your stories. I am a contented reader and a new fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ugh! Cliffhanger, August 2, 2012
This review is from: War of the Fae: Book 3, Darkness & Light (Kindle Edition)
Wow! I'm sooo glad that I have a kindle and can just get the next book immediately. I'm hoping there's not a fifth because waiting for it to come out would be torture! Talk about a cliffhanger though! Geez! Once again Elle doesn't disappoint. Her characters are as loveable and humorous as ever. Elle's knack for colorful conversations never ever disappoints. I've learned to appreciate Jayne's swearing as just a part of her personality. She has colorful language for sure, the language of each character is unique and lively. I am slightly irritated by Tim but that's obviously what he's supposed to do. I'm sorry all of my reviews are so short. I have to start reading the next book right away and pay some attention to my kids. lol

Rate and Discover Movies