5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliantly original YA fantasy
(From my blog, Word Vagabond: Supporting Independent and Small Press Authors)

Published on March 8, 2012 by A. Arendt

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok if you can ignore the potty-mouths
Published 21 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliantly original YA fantasy, March 8, 2012
A. Arendt (Fredericksburg, VA 22405) - See all my reviews
This review is from: War of the Fae: Book 1 (The Changelings) (Kindle Edition)
(From my blog, Word Vagabond: Supporting Independent and Small Press Authors)

Things are not going well for Jayne Sparks. High school's never really been a dream, and now her mother's creepy new boyfriend is causing problems for her at home. When her geeky best friend Tony pulls a gun on the school bully, running away with him to Miami actually seems like the most sensible option. But joining a group of other runaways for a secret research project will change her life beyond all recognition, and might even cost her the person she cares for most.

I liked the main character of this book from the very beginning. She has a fierce, strong personality, but a good heart. I couldn't help but be on her side. She also swears- a lot- but I found that amusing rather than annoying. Tony is an awesome character, too. The friendship between them is genuine, touching and funny. I love that they can have such a strong relationship without it being in any way romantic.

The pacing and suspense in this book are perfect. There's enough description to immerse the reader in the adventure, but not enough to get bogged down in. The minor characters they encountered were fascinating and really well drawn. Unfortunately, it's impossible to go into detail without spoiling the plot, and this is a plot that's too good to spoil!

I was intrigued by the other main characters, though we didn't get to know them very well in this book. I look forward to learning more about them in the next few books. I liked the way the character of Jared was used to create conflict within the group to add to the conflict from without.

This was an extremely fun, exciting, and original book. I couldn't put it down, and I'm eagerly awaiting the rest of the series!

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME!, March 15, 2012
This review is from: War of the Fae: Book 1 (The Changelings) (Kindle Edition)
Not many books suck me in and keep me glued to the pages. Jayne is a trip, and if you can get beyond her potty mouth, you'll fall in love with this 17 year old kid! Her journey will not leave you disappointed. I agree with what one of the other reviewers said. It's not too fast but not too slow. Some descriptions got a teensy bit long, but not bad. I just hate reading books that describe a scene and it takes a page or two or more to do it. Elle was not like this, so it was a major relief! The characters are all fantastic, too! I literally couldn't put this book down!! It was a freebie on one of the Kindle's daily deals, and the second I finished it, I bought book 2. I'll be reviewing that gem shortly!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok if you can ignore the potty-mouths, April 29, 2013
This review is from: War of the Fae: Book 1 (The Changelings) (Kindle Edition)
The book overall wasn't bad, although it also wasn't nearly as deep as I like. It it well-suited to a young teen age group as far as the story goes. That said, the amount of profanity in the book is simply over-the-top. An old English teacher of mine always said that profanity was a crutch used by those who couldn't figure out how to properly express themselves. With this book, it isn't occasional, either. It seems as well over half of the lines of the principle character are profanity-laden with liberal use of the F-bomb. This could have been a good teen story but the language ruined it.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME!!!, March 12, 2012
This review is from: War of the Fae: Book 1 (The Changelings) (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed reading this book and Jayne made me laugh so much! She cusses a lot but that's just exactly how I picture a 17/18 y.o. spunky badass rebel to talk. Some of the books that I've loved and read had protagonists talked way too mature for their age. I doubt some of the words used were even part of the typical teen/young adult vocabulary. Really great book! I can't wait for the third one!

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed emotions, June 8, 2013
In general, this book is a decent read. The plot idea is excellent and the characters are interesting. I am always disappointed in a book that is so heavily dependent on vulgar language to carry the story. I understand the desire to develop Jayne as a rough edged outsider, I think it could have been accomplished without giving her the mouth of a sailor on shore leave. I think my preteen son would enjoy reading this book, but I can't allow it because of the language. As cousin Violet (Downton Abbey)so aptly puts it "vulgarity is no substitute for wit."
I also found myself wanting to skip over long episodes of inner dialogue. Some of the narrative sections of the story are overly wordy, and frustrating to read. I can see how this tactic might provide an insight into the inner thought life of Jayne, but I just got bored with it and wanted the plot to move forward.
The story is compelling. I wanted to keep reading to see what would happen next. I wanted to see how the relationships among the characters would flesh out. Alas, that is not fully developed in this volume. It ends abruptly, leaving the reader no choice but to purchase book two. As curious as I am I seriously need to consider whether I want to spend any more of my time listening to Jaynes inner ADHD potty mouth episodes.

5.0 out of 5 stars 7 Book Series (Continues with "Clash of the Otherworlds"), January 18, 2013
I finished the 7 book series of Jayne and her new life as Fae. It really is a great read, very entertaining. A page turner! I stayed awake many late nights trying to read just a little bit more, one more chapter, unfortunately I kept falling asleep, and got bonked in the nose with my Kindle.

For a Young Adult Book, it surprised me! I am impressed with the detail and depth of the series. It has many twists and turns and surprises that will really keep you guessing.
I LOVE the dialogue, and "smartassy" banter back and forth with Jayne and the other characters!

This is a great fantasy series to introduce to (older) young adult readers, who are looking for a bit more substance to their reading. The main character is 17 yrs old.

There is no sex in this series, only a kiss here or there. It does have foul language that is sometimes a bit more colorful and creative than your standard "F's and S's", I dare you to keep a straight face while reading them.

Also reviewed book 7, a very similar review as this.
This 4 book story arc "War of the Fae" continues with "Clash of the Otherworlds"
It picks up right where book 4 leaves off.

3.0 out of 5 stars Before you dismiss the 3 stars..., January 13, 2014
This review is from: War of the Fae: Book 1 (The Changelings) (Kindle Edition)
I gave this book 3 stars. The reasoning behind that is because I got through 1/2 this book and I was still not sure I liked it. I got to the last page and of course there was a cliffhanger. At this point I was like hmmm well that wasn't too bad of a book, but I kinda hated the cliffhanger.... Then after a couple of days I sat there and thought about it, and the cliffhanger got to me, so of course I went to the next book. That was AWESOME! I read that book in 1 day I was so hooked! And of course another cliffhanger! GRRRR, so on to book 3! lol I finished that one (yes another cliffhanger) and started on book 4. I am 1/2 though book 4 and just HOPE there isn't a cliffhanger there that leads to the next series lol

I realize the first part of book one is all setup, but it was a little hard for me to get through it.

So in short this particular book only got 3 stars but the others get 5 so far!

3.0 out of 5 stars An Ok Read, April 13, 2014
This review is from: War of the Fae: Book 1 (The Changelings) (Kindle Edition)
This is an okay read, not great, but not bad. I found the characters intriguing but I was unwilling to spend money on the second
installment because I found the lead character way too obnoxious. Since the first book is free its worth trying and I'm sure there
will be some who like it. I have read a lot of YA books and in my opinion this one was just so so.

5.0 out of 5 stars hooked!, October 7, 2012
This review is from: War of the Fae: Book 1 (The Changelings) (Kindle Edition)
Elle Casey is an amazing author. I ran across The Changelings series and couldn't put it down. I love the story, the characters and the way they all pull you in. Also...check out The Apocalypse series...fabulous!

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE THIS BOOK LOVE THIS SERIES LOVE THIS AUTHOR, October 6, 2012
This review is from: War of the Fae: Book 1 (The Changelings) (Kindle Edition)
I love this book! i have read the whole series and have never had a dull or boring moment .LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS SERIESThe Changelings (War of the Fae: Book 1)