5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, It's Worth the Trouble
Although my blind urge to read the Great Classics has (thankfully) faded somewhat over the years in favor of reading whatever I damn please, I finally decided it was time to give War and Peace a try. After all, how can anyone who enjoys novels resist the lure of "the greatest novel of all time"? And Tolstoy himself was an unusually interesting man -- not a...
Published on August 25, 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Inaccurate and Dated Translation
The problem with Garnett is not her readability. She wrote a remarkably fluent English prose. The problem is her mistranslations and cavalier treatment of what Tolstoy actually wrote and meant. My Russian literature teacher at Hunter College (Tolstoy's grandaughter !) said there were bloopers on almost every page. And she regularly paraphrased, turned two sentences into...
Published on April 19, 2008 by rater25

‹ Previous | 1 2 317 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars the flowing of time, January 26, 2000
I am almost through with the reading of War and Peace. It is a novel which I have been wanting to read for years but which I never did. Now that I am almost to the end of it I would like to stress how incredibly "quick" this book is, and invite a lot of people to read it. What is really amazing about it is the way Tolstoy decided to organize such a long and engaging subject- in short chapters with a lot of dialogue and action. There is no other writer I can think of who has Tolstoy's mesmerizing ability to make so many things happen in two or three pages. And there is no other writer who, like Tolstoy, has the power to capture and fix for ever the very essence of the flowing of time. Think about the whole novel with its representation of Russian life from 1805 to the 1820s but think, especially, of Natasha's winter afternoon at her country home when she longs for Prince Andrej and he is not there. In that passage Tolstoy managed to capture the familiar notion of the flowing of minutes and hours as perceived by the bored and restless soul of lonely and unsatisfied Natasha.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, April 13, 2004
Carol Yap (Sydney, NSW Australia) - See all my reviews
'War and Peace' looks formidable when it is sitting on your desk. However, the sheer readibility of this delightful historical novel eclipses the volume of the novel. 'War and Peace' reads almost like a serial publication about the military, provincial, and urban life of Russians on the brink of an epic collision with Napoleon's army and the invasion of Moscow by the French in 1812. The plot does not need rehashing here as I believe that other reviewers have done an excellent job already.
I had initially found the opening chapters of War and Peace to be somewhat archaic, particularly the battle of Austerlitz where generals looked on while their soldiers were slaughtered. Military death appeared to be portrayed with a sense of romanticism and heroics. This initial assessment was incorrect. Tolstoy was at the vanguard of modern perceptions about war in the closing chapters. Kutuzov, the Russian counterpart of Napoleon, was the moral centre of this novel: weary of war and with no lofty ambition for glory but rather, the security of his nation, and a man who respects destiny's hand in deciding the outcome of war. Kutuzov to me, was the only main character in the novel who understood chiefly, with compassion, the vileness of war but also its necessity. He was the cusp between the two central theme in the novel - war is needed to achieve peace but the cost is often diminished by the ambition of glory, medals, and renown. Tolstoy's keen assessment of humanity, the minute mannerisms that gives away a person true intentions, and the incongruous but enlightening details that are peppered throughout the novel marks him as an astute and articulate writer.
Although Tolstoy set out to write a fictional novel set within a historical context, what struck me most about War and Peace was the philosophical examination of what it means to be a good person (Pierre's quest), to love life as well as another person with the greatest depth (Prince Andrei, Princess Maria, and Natasha's journey), and the true mechanism that drives war and history (Kutuzov's battle with Napolean).
I don't feel that my review does War and Peace justice. It is an epic novel that is surprisingly intimate and empathic because of the way that Tolstoy characterizes the ordinary person in extraordinary circumstances. I apologize that I may not have covered some of the important themes in the novel as I'm not particularly sophisticated in literature. I found War and Peace entertaining as well as enlightening and hope that potential readers will overcome their initial aversion due to the size of the novel and embark on this journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most fantastic books I've read, March 27, 2007
Barbara Bickmore (Anacortes, Washington) - See all my reviews
In college I was given one week to read "War & Peace." Of course I never got through it, but in the manymoves around the world that I've made I have carried that book with me thinking someday to read it. I thought it would be difficult to read, not only because of the Russian names but of the time in which it was written. I read Constance Garnett's translation, the only one available in my 50 year old book. I was delighted with how easy it is to read. I'm amazed to find it was a page turner. One of the few classics that's really readable. Tolstoy was a psychologist long before Freud/Jung. His insight into people is fabulous. I, who hate war and violence, thought his war scenes amazing. I read them all. I enjoyed his philosophizing about life that had little to do with the story line. Actually, I have to say I was thrilled with this book and sorry it took me 50 years to get around to reading it. It's truly a masterpiece, an enjoyable, readable, delightful one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, if the translation is good, November 19, 1999
Jody Palm "bookgoddess" (Greeneville, TN United States) - See all my reviews
There are a couple of things to watch out for here.
1. Make sure you are reading a really good translation of an unabridged version of the novel. This can make the difference between loving a sweeping epic, and feeling like you're trudging through a long soap-opera.
2. (I may alienate some teachers with this) BUY THE CLIFF NOTES for this one! This is the only book where some form of notes are needed to keep track of characters' names and relationships - and Russian history, if you're not familiar with the time period.
Having said all that, I really enjoyed this book. I read some portions in Russian and read the Norton Critical edition translation in English ( a wonderful translation that appears to be out of print? ).
I still think the imagery is amazing. I'm convinced I've been on a fox hunt, attended the Bolshoi in the 1800's, and have ridden in a troika - though I haven't. This is the power of Tolstoy's writing.
The book can be read on several levels, all entertaining and thought-provoking. If you are young, read it like you would a good Jane Austin novel, concentrating on the people and the relationships. If you know some Russian History, read it for the comments it makes about the out-of-touch-with-reality, French-speaking aristocracy and the reality of war with France, as well as the characters. (The characters are Russian architypes, and therefore of interest to me, as a student of Russian History.)
If you're into philosophy, politics, religion, whatever, you'll find something here to stimulate you. Tolstoy was pretty extreme on some of these topics, and it starts to show in this novel. (Reading about Tolstoy can be helpful to understanding the book as well.)
The book probably deserves multiple readings, even though I know how overwhelming that sounds. (I'm a slow reader, myself!).
Definitely deserves to be called a classic. I highly recommend it, even if you don't make it through the whole book. Read as much of it as you can.

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece epic about love, life, war, peace everything!, July 9, 2006
Tolstoy's War and Peace rightfully ranks amongs the best novels ever written in any language. The master novelist uses Napolean's Wars with Russia as the context against which he narrates the story of four families. The four families, along with several timeless characters, live through the times of War and Peace to provide us with a representation of every aspect of Russian life, Russian thought and imagery of both cities and villages.

Tolstoy's great talent was in providing insights using his extremely good sense of seemingly trivial. The details, be it of the functioning of clock or steam engine, or of the idealogy and rites of Masons, or the charge of cavalry in war or the thoughts of a man on his death bed, the details, the insight, the lucidity of expression of such varied themes in one book requires Tolstoy's genius.

There are innumerable unforgettable characters in this mammoth novel. Each one brings out different characteristics of human pysche, each one is made into a being of flesh and blood, strengths and weaknesses. Prince Andrey Bolkonsky, the dashing gentleman who shuns his boring high society to fight in war to achieve glory, is as compelling as a soldier as he is a wounded person, wounded both in love and in war. His death scene, touted as one of the greatest scenes in Russian Literature, is perhaps unmatched in its ability to engage a reader and his tears. The other equally important character is Pierre Bezukhov, who is a close friend of the Prince. Pierre is always so unsure, so uncertain, dabbling with different ideas and ideals, falling, failing, has a wife who nearly ruins him, and yet Pierre by the end of the novel comes of age, redeems himself, and in the climax attains Natasha in marriage. Natasha is the heroine of the novel. She is a bright spark, the resplandent laughter, full of energy and life, beautiful and engrossing female character. Whenever she breaks into the story, the tale becomes a remarkable love story. Music and smile pour in, dances start to occur.

Be it Natasha's family members or those of Prince Bolkonsky's or any of their acquaintances, the characterization is such that one can visulaize each one separately. If there is villaincy in Doholov, Natasha's brother Rostov has his inexperience leading him into a near ruin. If Marya, Bolkonsky's sister is god fearing charming but simple looking girl, Ellen is seductress, souless counterpart who possesses a father and a brother equally despicable. The whole array of characters are present in this novel, which of human characteristics be different species of animals, makes Tolstoy's War and Peace a Noah's Ark.

The novel is at the same time a swashbuckling romance, family saga, philosophical query, a historical fiction, a war memoir and more. It is a timeless classic that through its pages develops a whole crop of humanity, representative of our passions and traits, and chronicle of our deeds and choices and what guides them. The novel has one of the best last quarter I have ever read, where the climax arouses so strong feelings at every page, that I was laughing joyfully on one page and crying inconsolably on next page. (This is before the epilogue).

I have often stressed that classics deserve respect, slow and patient reading, and War and Peace is no different. There are sections where I was forced to move like a stream of water going downhill, and other places where reading each page was an effort. Yet once the plot is set up, once you have finished reading over one third the novel, once the Russian names and their universe is created in your head, the novel becomes friendlier. It fills your head with images, emotions, ideas and you are carried to Tolstoy's world. For anyone seriously interested in reading great literature, Tolstoy is a must. Inarguably, War and Peace is one of the brightest prose pieces ever written and I heartily recommend it to one and all. Again I have figured that Constance Garnett must have been a great translator, and like other great Russian Novels I read translated by her, this one also calls for my gratitude to her. But above all, all credit to Tolstoy for creating this epic saga. Must read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be afraid....., November 9, 2004
Ellismarie McLaughlin (San Antonio, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I've wanted to read this book for a long time, but was afaid of its size and my lack of knowledge of things Russian. After 20 pages, I was hooked. I've found it much more readable then I had assumed. I love Tolstoy's writing style, his attention to every day detail, his insights into his characters- each and every one fully drawn, no mater how minor a character. So, don't be afraid- you'll miss out on a great book!

4.0 out of 5 stars A gripping, thought provoking book, August 23, 2001
By A Customer
Even after more than a century, this is a spellbinding book. Its scale is monumental, portraying the ravages of war and its impact on an entire society by following a large cast of characters, chiefly from the Russian nobility. But more than that, it is also a treatise on the nature of war and the role of chance and human ambition in shaping its outcomes.
While requiring mental effort and a significant time commitment to read, this book will amply reward the reader's effort, leaving her with much food for thought, and a deeper understanding of human nature.
A word of caution on the Konemann edition. Although it is very handy - having this massive text presented in four small-size, nicely bound volumes is wonderful - this edition is seriously flawed by an incredible number of typographical errors which often completely distort the meaning of the text. In my over 50 years of serious reading, I have never come across a book that shows this degree of negligence on the part of a publisher. unprecedented. My advice: buy another edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brief defense, November 3, 1999
By A Customer
I happen to be at work right now, on my lunch hour and passing its few remaining moments by reading the customer reviews of my favorite books.
As "War and Peace" is considered by many world-wide to be one of the greatest if not THE greatest novel ever written, any defense I might offer against those customers writing 1-star reviews would be purely inconsequential.
One such reviewer's reasoning was that 'thousands of hours' were spent in reading. Personally, if I were capable of reading or comprehending no more than one page per hour, as is the self-confessed case with this reviewer, I would find it very difficult indeed to justify my criticism towards such a highly regarded work.
Another reviewer's reasoning was that when one reads a novel, one must stop living in order to do so. This reviewer does not make clear what exactly 'living' is, but I myself consider such novels to be a 'life investment,' enriching the ways we DO live.
I recommend the book to anyone and everyone - read it for yourself and see what the fuss is all about.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece for All Time, September 17, 1999
By A Customer
This book deserves a hundred stars. Reviewing it is an inane act. Tolstoy is a god. If you want to engage other lives and other times, if you want to feel what it was like to live in 19th century Russia, under attack from the French, if you want to throw yourself into an epic that spans years, and if you want to meet real people who grow and evolve and who you will love and cannot forget, read this book. All your efforts will be rewarded. Ignore its flaws. Relish its beauty and wisdom. These things don't come easy. Treasure them. They are great gifts from a once-only genius who gave us everything he had. All I can say is I am very grateful.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Garnett and Dunnigan translations... details here, May 20, 2008
This review is from: War and Peace (Leather Bound)
This review is broken down into two segments, a Descriptive Summary and two Evaluative Summaries, one each for the Garnett and Dunnigan translations. If you're already very familiar with the story of "War and Peace," you may wish to skip directly to the latter facets of my review which are essentially the critique of both the Constance Garnett and Ann Dunnigan translations. Since Amazon does not differentiate between the two translations, I've had to post both reviews at this single site.

DESCRIPTIVE SUMMARY:

In 1805, Napoleon Bonaparte invaded Austria to expand his European empire. Russia, being an ally of Austria, stood with their brethren against the infamous Emperor. Napoleon prevailed and a treaty was ultimately signed at Tilsit. In 1812, Napoleon invaded Russia, again in an effort to expand his empire. The end result of this tragic war was that Napoleon's army of about 600,000 soldiers was reduced to roughly 60,000 men as the defamed Emperor raced from Moscow (which he had taken), back across the frozen Russian tundra in his carriage (leaving his troops behind to fend for themselves) for Paris. That encapsulizes the military aspect of this work.

But the more intricate story involves both the activities and the peccadillos of, primarily, three Russian families of nobility: The Rostovs, the Bolkonskys, and the Bezukhovs. The continual thorn of "The Antichrist," Napoleon, really just provides the wallpaper for this story of romance, riches, desolation, love, jealousy, hatred, retribution, joy, naïveté, stupidity, hubris, and so much more.

Tolstoy has woven an incredibly intricate web that interconnects these noble families, the wars, and the common Russian people to a degree that would seem incomprehensible to achieve - but Tolstoy perseveres with superb clarity and great insight to the human psyche. His characters are timeless and the reader who has any social experience whatever will immediately connect with them all.

"War and Peace" is a fictional, lengthy novel, based upon historical fact.

In his double Epilogue, Tolstoy yields us a shrewd dissertation on the behavior of large organizations, much of it by way of analogy. It's actually an oblique, often sarcastic, commentary on the lunacy of government activities and the madness of their wars.

EVALUATIVE SUMMARY (Garnett):

The Garnett translation has probably come under more fire than any of the others, purportedly for inaccuracies of what Tolstoy supposedly actually said. This is possibly true, but as I do not speak Russian, I can neither confirm nor deny this allegation. But I will point out that there are two types of translations -- the one is rigid and runs word for word correctly, and the second type focuses more upon manifesting the essence of a story... The Big Picture, so to speak. The Garnett translation falls into the latter category.

I can make one particular and certain observation regarding this volume: Garnett's handling of the more poetic and epic events in the novel is masterful. Even if her translation is not word-for-word correct, I'm sure that she was very plugged into the vision which Tolstoy was trying to convey. You'll see this actuality blossom in the following places, for instance: "Petya's dream"; the view of Moscow on the morning of Napoleon's approach; the "mirror-scrying" episode between Natasha and Sonya; the wolf hunt... and so on. I think it's "The Woman's Touch," coming through, which is a good thing.

Constance Garnett published her version of "War and Peace" in 1904, so this was one of the early ones. Other translations into English include:

Clara Bell (from a French version) 1885-86
W. H. Dole 1889
Leo Wiener 1904
Louise and Aylmer Maude (1922-3)
Princess Alexandra Kropotkin (abridged, 1949)
Manuel Komroff (abridged, 1956)
Rosemary Edmonds (1957, revised 1978)
Ann Dunnigan (1968)
Anthony Briggs (2005)
Andrew Bromfield (2007), (translation of an early draft, approx. 400 pages shorter than other English translations)
Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky (2007)

Wikipedia cites this information about Garnett [edited]:

"She was initially educated at Brighton and Hove High School. Afterwards she studied Latin and Greek at Newnham College, Cambridge on a government scholarship, where she also learned Russian (partly from émigré Russian friends such as Felix Volkonsky [Rubenstein]), and worked briefly as a school teacher.

In 1893, shortly after a visit to Moscow, Petersburg and Yasnaya Polyana where she met Leo Tolstoy, she was inspired to start translating Russian literature, which became her life's passion and resulted in English-language versions of dozens of volumes by Tolstoy, Gogol, Goncharov, Dostoevsky, Pushkin, Turgenev, Ostrovsky and Chekhov. The Russian anarchist Sergei Stepniakpartly assisted her, also in revision some of her early works.

By the late 1920s, Garnett was frail, white-haired, and half-blind. She retired from translating after the publication in 1934 of Three Plays by Turgenev. After her husband's death in 1937, she became quite reclusive. She developed a heart condition, with attendant breathlessness, and in her final period had to walk with crutches."

In summary, if you happen to end up with a Garnett translation for your first reading of "War and Peace," I would say that you have been lucky. Some English translations yield the French entries (2% of the book) as Tolstoy entered them, with the English translation of the French following in footnotes. Garnett translated the entire work, with a very few minor exceptions, as a direct read in English, so it's easy to read.

EVALUATIVE SUMMARY (Dunnigan):

To date (7-'08), I have read the following translations of "War and Peace": Louise and Aylmer Maude (1922-23, which I've read twice), Pevear and Volokhonsky (2007), Briggs (2005), Garnett (1904), and now, Dunnigan (1968). I'll be reading the Dole translation (1889) next and then Edmonds (1957, revised 1978), Weiner (1904), and Bell (1885-86) after that. I'm going to read the two abridgements (Kropotkin, 1949; and, Komroff, 1956), as well as Bromfield's "alternative version" (2007, from an early Tolstoy draft), but I want to read all the standard English translations first.

Dunnigan's translation is particularly suited to Americans on the go. I call it the "doctor's office version" because the softcover binding and the size of the book (4" x 7" x 2 1/4") makes it convenient to take along wherever you go.

Ann Dunnigan was born in Hollywood, California and died in 1997 at the age of 87. In addition to Tolstoy books she also translated works by Chekhov and Dostoyevsky.

Dunnigan's work represents the only contemporary "American" English translation of "War and Peace". Thus the American reader will appreciate the straightforward slant on Tolstoy's writing, especially when they encounter phrases such as where a girl, "...plumped down" [on the floor].

American readers also seem to cringe a little when they encounter, in other translations, Russian soldiers calling each other "mate" (Briggs) and when a common response is "Eh?" (Maude and others). Also, with the character Denisov, who clearly suffered from being tongue-tied, Dunnigan gets it right by substituting a "w" where Denisov is trying to pronounce an "r". (Denisov liked to holler out at his fellow Hussar, Rostov... "Hey, Wostov!") In the Pevear/Volokhonsky translation, a "gh" is inserted in such instances which makes no phonetic sense at all.

If I have a problem with the Dunnigan translation at all, it's that I find that she is somewhat less poetic than either Garnett or the Maudes. One can pick up on this caveat at various scenes in the work: "Petya's Dream," "Napoleon looking at Moscow from Sparrow Hills," "Natasha's and Sonya's mirror-scrying episode," "The wolf hunt and the subsequent trip to 'Uncle's' home," "The mummer's episode," and so on. But, nonetheless, the overall story is still clearly and coherently conveyed to the reader.

Dunnigan dispensed with all but a very few historical footnotes. She also rendered almost the entire work in English (she retained just a few common French phrases), unlike some translations which maintain the French text and translate this into English via lengthy footnotes. This French text orginally made up about two percent of the Tolstoy manuscript (the period Russian nobility commonly spoke French as a second language, a carry-over practice of the policies of Catherine the Great.) Readers who wish to have the French language maintained within the regular text and who prefer access to plenty of historical footnotes should acquire the more academic Pevear/Volokhonsky translation. When and where it is important or relevant to know, Dunnigan apprises the reader that the original conveyance was in French.

There is a 16-page introduction to the Dunnigan work, written by Oxford Professor John Bayley, a British literary writer-critic and the husband of renowned fiction writer Iris Murdoch ("A Severed Head"). There is also a one-page "selected bibliography" at the conclusion of the text.

Unless you are reading "War and Peace" for academic purposes the Ann Dunnigan translation would be a great choice, especially for American readers and/or those who enjoy reading in bursts to fill dead time.

‹ Previous | 1 2 317 | Next ›