Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on January 4, 2009
This review is for people who are about to start reading somw Warcraft books. I have created a chronological list of the Warcraft novels for people to get an overview of all of the books and for people to know where to start:

Warcraft books timeline
1. Warcraft War of the Ancients Archive
-Trilogy Book One: The Well of Eternity
-Trilogy Book Two: The Demon Soul
-Trilogy Book Three: The Sundering

-Rise of the Horde (about the horde in Outland)

2. Warcraft Archive (Warcraft 1)
-Book One: Day of the Dragon
-Book Two: Lord of the Clans
-Book Three: The Last Guardian
-Book Four: Of Blood and Honor

-World of Warcraft: Tides of Darkness (Warcraft 2)
-World of Warcraft: Beyond the Dark Portal (Warcraft 2 exp)

3. Warcraft The Sunwell Trilogy Archive (Warcraft 3)
-Trilogy Book One: Dragon Hunt
-Trilogy Book Two: Shadows of Ice
-Trilogy Book Three: Ghostlands

-World of Warcraft: Cycle of Hatred (Right before World of Warcraft)

Warcraft Legends
-Volume One
-Volume Two
-Volume Three
-Volume Four

Others
-World of Warcraft: Night of the Dragon
Hope that you can use this. Cheers Martin!
77 comments| 214 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 25, 2011
Just a fantastic story and rich in lore for the hardcore of wow fans.

The book in total is huge as it took all 3 War of the Ancients books and condensed them in this single archive, and for the price its worthy of any lore nerd.

There's a rift in wow fans when it comes to the books authors and Knaak unfortunately catches a lot of flak when he writes up a new WoW book for the masses...but I feel he really hit the marks in this trilogy. A quick summary has the author writing about his two favorite characters (Krasus and Rhonin) traveling back in time with an orc named Broxigar and the three must help the Night Elven society fight off the first coming of the burning legion into Azeroth without revealing events that happen up to their present or else the future as they know it might change forever.

The book feels like you're progressing through the entire event at a good pace and important characters (Malfurion, Illidan and Tyrande) to name a few feel like their stories are fleshed out quite nicely.

Compared to some of the newer books Blizzard has published, this is one you'll enjoy.
on May 1, 2016
Love all things WOW, and this was not an exception. This is a very expensive book, and a very awesome and rare find. To get it in even |Good| quality would really speak of the love and care they took to keep this thing. If you can get it for the right price, do it! This book has some of the best information and back story on WOW I have seen yet along with "Dawn of the Aspects."
on May 5, 2009
This is most definitely Knaak's best work among the warcraft novels he has penned and I highly recommend it.

I would almost agree with another reviewer that Knaak is at best a Most average fantasy writer but this series invokes a bold, fresh, and exciting innovation that although is difficult to notice at first,really pays tribute to his creativity

Within the context of the books, especially the latter two, KnaaK's story plays out with an odd similarity to Homer's Iliad. Knaak's take on achilles's rage is somewhat manifest in Neltharion (a character which should have had more development), the fields of troy akin to the plains between Zin-Azahri and Mount Hyal, and champions on both side of conflicts. Mind you, he does not rip from the Iliad, i am merely saying that he seems to draw inspirations from it to create a story that truly has a most epic feel. Which is befitting for this particular chapter in warcraft lore.

Also of note: Knaak goes to great lengths to really expand on the framework of the warcraft lore in such a way that the book becomes most nostalgic to warcraft fans yet he retains a simplicity that allows those unfamiliar with the warcraft universe to enjoy it as well (the warcraft archive (another bookset) does not have this versatility).

I was dissapointed in aftermath/end of the book. It seemed as if the author was rushing what should have been an additional 3 chapters and rolling them into 1. It's brevity downplayed the grandness of the story
on May 3, 2009
I have to disagree with other reviewers who found this book mediocre. I have read nearly every World of Warcraft book, and I found this one to be among the best. For people who don't play the game, this is still a great fantasy novel.

The book actually contains a trilogy about a group of heroes trying to defeat the ultimate evil, with the very fate of the world hanging in the balance. I found the way Knaak wrote the characters of Krasus, Rhonin, and the Night Elves to be very well done. I also thought the story plot was well thought out, with plenty of twists and surprises to keep it entertaining. I was grateful that I read this book after all three original novels were completed so that I wouldn't have to wait to see what happened!

Knaak does an excellent job of writing a "history" of WoW, while also putting together an outstanding story.
on July 27, 2013
Well written and exciting stories. I've read these books once before and am repurchasing this book because I lost it and want to read the entire series of books again. I've read all the Warcraft books and would recommend them. Read them in order as they do need to be read that way to understand what's going on better, although they could be read alone if you don't.
on October 23, 2013
Even though I stopped playing the MMO, I find that the storytelling in this book is a much richer experience than I was getting in the game. The writing is great. The story is canon, giving a much more in depth look into the world of azeroth. A good read.
on October 16, 2014
I loved the story, had already read it on PDFs but wanted a physical copy. The cover materials are the bare minimum just cheap light cardboard, would have gotten a hard cover version instead(is there any? I haven't look for it). Aside from that the book is awesome.

The book contains the 3 story's of the War Of the Ancients. I loved them all to be honest I just wish they weren't so small. Every story is around 160~ pages long (give or take). Good thing you can continue immediately to the next.
on April 2, 2015
This is the first Warcraft novel I've read and I couldn't put it down! Having played WC3 and WoW, I really like the lore. This book ties into older lore very well with existing characters. Knaak has a fairly limited vocabulary it seems but that didn't take away from the story. Now I'm hooked on these books!
on December 21, 2009
First off, I must say I am quite amazed that this series is receiving anything below 4 stars, but then again, I am an avid Warcraft fan, so I MIGHT be biased. Although I must say, I do believe that non-Warcraft fans would also like this series.

To me, the trilogy was amazing. Simply put, it has all the elements for a good entertaining read. Plenty of action, plenty of character development, betrayal, friendship, loyalty, and many thrives for greatness. The book jumps around, following the varying stories and actions of the various groups, but it does so in a way, not to confuse you. Everything is worked into the overall plot and all stories intertwine and come into conflict. While I do feel they could have added a few more pages in the end, I overall thought it was a good closing.

With this book done, I now start Warcraft: Archive, and I must say I can't wait to return and see the same characters again. Hell I even ordered World of Warcraft: Night of the Dragon a few days ago. The character Krasus is truly a well thought out character.

Highly recommended