5.0 out of 5 stars If You Play One Real-Time Strategy Game In Your Life...
Published on December 28, 2003 by Chris

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice break from MMO
I was getting pretty worn out from playing WoW, so I decided to grab this to see how "the" world of Warcraft started. It was cool to see A LOT of familiar characters, locations, mobs, etc. It's a different game, being an RTS. Definitely not as full as others, like Command and Conquer. But, the story-telling keeps it interesting. However, I think Blizzard makes their...
Published on May 7, 2009 by A. Perez Jr.

5.0 out of 5 stars If You Play One Real-Time Strategy Game In Your Life..., December 28, 2003
This review is from: Warcraft III Battle Chest - PC/Mac (CD-ROM)
Every company these days has their own version of a real-time strategy (RTS) game and many aren't worth the price as they are cheap rip-offs of other popular ideas. However, if you'd like to play a game created by the company most responsible for the RTS craze, then look no further than Warcraft 3. Not only do you get the most balanced RTS game available which makes for better multiplayer competition but you also get one heck of a single-player campaign. The story in Warcraft 3 is terrific and probably better than most role-playing games. To top it off, Warcraft 3 combines superior graphics with the best artwork you will ever see in a real-time strategy game. The orcs, undead legions, humans, elves and many worlds they explore are a visual as well as strategic experience. And best of all, this game that was well worth the price when it was released is now packaged with the top notch expansion, The Frozen Throne, which is an expansion that is actually better than most regular RTS games these days. If you've never tried the Blizzard series of real-time strategy games, you're missing out. This company is pure class and even provides a free online gaming service called BattleNet that allows you to match your wits against thousands of online gamers. Whether it be releasing some of the most stable games in years or banning griefers on BattleNet that formed a childish organization whose only intention was to backstab allies in multi-player competition, Blizzard is known as one of the best gaming companies in the business, and it shows with their games.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Incredible Game, September 26, 2004
John Bataller (Victoria, B.C., Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Warcraft III Battle Chest - PC/Mac (CD-ROM)
I don't think I need to go into detail about the game: you can just visit [...] , [...] , and [...] and they'll tell you everything you need to know about the mechanics and the features of the game. There are some things that I can say about it.

The graphics are as good as you'd ever need, but that's not to say they're bad; quite the opposite actually. The game has a cartoonish tone to its graphics that really lends itself to the fantasy atmosphere and the spell effects are top-notch. At first glance, the game may seem to be about who gets the strongest hero first, but that's certainly not the case. The number of strategies are infinite and everything can be easily countered by an experienced player. There is a heavy emphasis on micromanagement and spellcasting in the thick of battle that is overwhelming even for me, a 6-year starcraft veteran. I recommend dialing down the game speed during especially large battles, because the computer will wipe you out if you give it the chance.

The single-player story is absolutely stellar. Photo-realistic CGI Cinematics precede and end each of the campaigns, and there are no traditional mission briefings as such. The in-game cinemas help to advance the story and serve to never take you out of the game world; this all adds up to a immersion in the story like no other. Since each of the campaigns revolve around a single hero, it's not hard to get emotionally involved in the story, and that's a rare feat. One of the reasons I love Blizzard's game so much is the wealth of detail they inject into the history of the worlds; in this case, the realm of Azeroth. Half of the instruction manual is devoted to the backstory of each of the four races and explanations of all of the units; far beyond just describing what they do.

It's very easy to pick up and play - the orc tutorial mini-campaign at the beginning is really all you need, but practice helps to master the strategies and find the one that works for you. Battle.net can be a hostile place, inhabited mostly by boys in their early teens; but more often than not you get involved in a great game with several other likeable people who aren't having an ego trip.

The only complaints I have is that even though the story has as much depth as most novels have, it steals quite a lot of elements from Starcraft. Some of the spells/skills can be recognizable from Starcraft, and Diablo, both produced by Blizzard as well. While the story in Reign of Chaos (original warcraft III) is amazing in itself and ends on a great note, the story in The Frozen Throne (the expansion to warcraft III, also included in the battle chest) ends on quite a downer. You could stop at Reign of Chaos and not miss much story-wise, but it's only a minor complaint, because the Frozen Throne campaign is just as stellar, if not even more so than the RoC Campaign. The biggest complaint I have with this pack is the strategy guides included - they're nothing like the ones included in the Starcraft Battle Chest. They're "Official Battle Chest Guides" which only provide strategys for the campaigns. They have no maps, unit descriptions, and only a few general tips for other game types. There are even references to maps that aren't even there. Not to mention they're very small, to fit in the box. I wasn't very happy with them at all.

Overall though, this is an incredible game, recommended to anyone who loves a challenge and a great story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its like crack but more addictive!, October 4, 2004
Bjorn "wolf-sigma" (EUREKA, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!

I cannot stop playing this game. It has consumed my waking hours with the varacity of the most evil predator. It haunts my sleep with dreams of wisps building treant and my waking hours with visions of waypoints and health bars. I cannot escape this curse and so I revel in it!

Play not this game if you be of weak stomach! Play not this game if you lay claim to a social life. Play not this game if you cannot afford it. But most importantly, play not this game if thou liketh the sun or its golden rays, for they will be far from your sight once Warcraft 3 hath struck you.

Know then, all of you that the campaign of both WC3 and Frozen Throne is challenging as well as fun. Know well all of you that it's amazing mix of RPG style gaming and base building mesh seamlessly. Know you most of all that the story of the fallen lands of Lorderon and Azeroth is one of epic proportions and classic style.

Be you aware that as fun as the single player experience is, it pales when held to the light of its online brethren. The ease with which one can find and fight others online is amazing and revolutionary. The joy one gets from the various modes, including a custom battle option, is endless. But greatest of the achievements made by Blizzard, hallowed be thy name, is the continuous updates that not only make play most fair...but also add new features, such as mercenary heroes and extra campaigns.

I am the converted. I walked the path of Warcraft 2. I swam the seas of Starcraft. Now I lay in the valley of the Final Trimutive, Warcraft 3, fully sated and content. Only the promise of Starcraft Two has kept me on this plane of existence, hoping for a summer 2005 release but knowing it will never happen. Woe be to he of the path, for the tireless devotion to a false deity who has defiled himself with a release on console (Starcraft Ghost).

(Two Years Later)
Oh Yee who have tasted the sweet necter of Warcraft, I have supped of it! In my finest of hours I did what few have done! I defeated the leagons of undead and the Burning on the setting of hard! And I have been most abused. Blizzard, hallowed be thy name, has shown they can easily make a Starcraft 2 in its credits but still refuses to feed my needs... Oh well.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great game for those who think, September 17, 2005
This review is from: Warcraft III Battle Chest - PC/Mac (CD-ROM)
I'm only a teenager, and yet I've always seemed to enjoy this game. No, I am not addicted to it. I play it everytime I have the chance to do so. Many reviews have been hating this game for A) Bad graphics and B) too little units and C) The Hero units.

First of all, the graphics are a sacrafice in order to enhance better online gaming quality. During Starcraft, Blizzard strived so hard to make units so realistic that the graphics basically killed the idea of playing a fluent game without lag. With Warcraft, it's much less often you get someone who's computer cannot support the graphics and therefore hold up the game.

Second is the fact of too little units. This is one of the reasons I love the game. You THINK!!! It's not a race who can build up the most units in ten seconds and attack. It's more of the idea of what you can do to the units they have with the units you have. You always have to be scouting their base, find out what untis they have, and get some perfect units to counter them. This way, a person with 10 units can take out 20 units with a weakness to those ten units.

I think the hero ability fairly ties in with B. The fact that you can have a certain unit with special abilities is excellent. It's like the commander. When the hero dies or is weakening, the units retreat. This is the sense of a real battle, not a suicide mass unit rush.

This game is one of the greatest I have played. It is so much more complex (in a positive way) than Starcraft or Diablo. I recommend it for anyone who is willing to have a concentrated mind in order to acheive skill in this game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Deal, December 2, 2005
This review is from: Warcraft III Battle Chest - PC/Mac (CD-ROM)
This is a very good bargain, less than half of what you would pay if you bought each item seperate. The strategy guides are good, but not really necessary if you have played Warcraft 1 and 2, as well as the other similar games. Warcraft 3 is challenging, but not overly so. I was put to the test in many parts, but I never got frustrated. The storyline as always is excellent, and the graphics have improved ten fold from the last installment. This is certainly a must buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good game, but not quite great, July 27, 2005
This review is from: Warcraft III Battle Chest - PC/Mac (CD-ROM)
I had a lot of fun with this game, much more than I thought I would. Warcraft 3 is a good old-fashion real-time strategy (RTS) game, with a somewhat outdated resource collection model and base-building formula. It also aspires to be a roleplaying game (RPG), thought it is only partially successful. Overall, if you like RTS games, this one is worth a try. However, I found it not to be as good as some of the more recent games, like Rise of Nations and Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War.

Gameplay: Warcraft 3 is remarkably like Warcraft 2 in a lot of ways, which is both good and bad. On the good side, it's fairly easy to learn and quite fun for a while. You choose one of four races to play (which are all distinct); gather gold, lumber, and food; build structures and units; explore the map; and conquer your enemies. It's a very typical 1990s-style RTS game. However, Warcraft 3 adds hero units to the mix, which greatly impact gameplay. These units can gain levels as in a RPG-style game and have special abilities. You really cannot win a game without them. Each race has a choice of 4 heroes to choose from (with The Frozen Throne expansion loaded) and there are neutral heroes that can be recruited. The hero model works quite well with the single-player campaign, since it weaves them into a broad story. However, it makes skirmish games a little awkward, since you are required to both build bases and find creeps (random monsters) for your hero to fight in order to gain levels.

The single-player campaign is both quite long and well done. Actually, it seemed a little too long once I played through the original campaign and the Frozen Throne expansion. The story is the typical good vs. evil theme, which gets really hard to follow by the mid-point. However, the missions are generally well done, with a good mix of RPG-style adventuring and a heavy-dose of base-building and conquest. The missions are designed to allow you the chance to play all four races, and I didn't get the sense that they were just practice for multiplayer online games. That is, for solo gamers like myself, Warcraft 3 has a substantial amount of single-player content.

Warcraft 3 is good, but does have some issues. Some of the single-player missions are quite hard and will require much reloading of saved games in order to complete. Still, the AI can be a little lame. There were countless times that my base would be invaded, and my units would not automatically move to fight the enemy. However, AI enemies do fight smart, often first attacking your units that can do the most damage to them. Rather surprisingly, the game does not have a pause feature so that you can look around the battlefield and give orders while pausing. And unlike recent RTS games, Warcraft 3 limits you to very small armies. You'll be lucky to have 20 fighting units at any given time. Additionally, the game just seems behind the times in other ways. The camera doesn't really zoom, graphics are cartoonish, and the micromanagement can be burdensome at times.

As with every other Blizzard product I've played, the game was perfectly stable and well polished, and I came across no bugs or typos. In addition to a single-player campaign that will last around 70+ hours for the average player, there are a large number of skirmish maps included, multiplayer capacity, and a map editor. The Battle Chest itself includes a lot of reading materials, such as instruction manuals and hints/tips guides. As usual, Blizzard has supported the game well with patches and new official maps that are downloadable at their website.

Graphics: The typical Warcraft visuals. A bit cartoonish, but with a lot of vivid colors and diverse environments. Spell effects look convincing, and there are day & night cycles that give the world a living feel. The game is actually cute in many ways and is probably supposed to be that way. The graphics will not win any awards, but they do serve their purpose. As with Diablo 2, Warcraft 3 has some of the best cutscenes I have ever seen in a video game.

Sound: There is a lot of great voice acting in the game. Some of it is very funny. The music is also well done and appropriate to the mood of the game.

Overall, I recommend Warcraft 3 (plus the expansion) to anyone interested in RTS or fantasy games. It's a well-made strategy game with lots of challenges, a epic (though rambling) story, and an RPG element in the form of heroes (which, again, can be a plus or a minus). If you can get past all of the micromanagement that the game requires and some other outdated elements, Warcraft 3 should provide many hours of entertainment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought the chest to play Dota., August 18, 2006
This review is from: Warcraft III Battle Chest - PC/Mac (CD-ROM)
One day I was hanging out with my friends, and I saw them playing Warcraft Dota Map on Battlenet. I had so much fun watching them play that I told myself I have to get into the action. Spent less than $30 to buy the chest on Amazon. Got it within a few days with free shipping. In my opinion, nowadays $30 can't even get you a full tank of gas anymore. This chest provides me with hours of entertainment with my friends, all for less than $30!! I think getting it is a no brainer and a bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best game in the world, March 24, 2005
This review is from: Warcraft III Battle Chest - PC/Mac (CD-ROM)
I live off of this game. I can't stop playing it untill somebody forces me off. The Battle net is the best part of the game even though the campaign is briliant. On battle net you are able to go and play with billions of people across the globe. I wouldn't know how to make this game any better than it already is. In conclusion I won't stop playing this game untill it breaks and then I would buy it again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Battle for lifetime, RPG for one week, March 24, 2005
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Warcraft III Battle Chest - PC/Mac (CD-ROM)
I love this game the most. I've played W3 and extension FT for a long time, and I still enjoy it. This chest is way better than the single CD case. People who purchased this one should know what I'm talking about. Perfect contents inside!!!

I gave this one 4 stars out of 5 because the RPG is boring. I believe it is the only negative part of this great game. I almost finished all storyline for one week. However, I think there will be some update on the internet. But that will never be the reason to keep your hands away from this chest, it's the best game in the best case after all.

5.0 out of 5 stars o my goodness..................................................................................., December 29, 2005
This review is from: Warcraft III Battle Chest - PC/Mac (CD-ROM)
first off this game is amazing and has excellent gameplay. Yes, yes i know you think it has bad graphics. But it allows the game to take up very little space in ure computer and prevents a lot of lag.

The new hero units and battle.net are the reasons to buy the chest. The Reign of Chaos(ROC)is in my opinion, better than the the frozen Throne, but both games are top notch. The heros are like super powered uits that start on lvl 1 and can grow all the way to lvl 10. A lvl 10 hero is virtually unstoppable, but hard to achieve. They also have abilities that make them even more powerful like calling down stars and turining into demons.

Battle.net is the online part of Warcraft 3. Many people play it so you can play quick games much faster and the custom games are very fun. Blizzard came through once again and made an excellent game for all of us. It really isnt possible for someone to say this game is bad unless they arent good at it........

Warcraft III Battle Chest - PC/Mac
Warcraft III Battle Chest - PC/Mac by Blizzard Entertainment (Mac, Windows, Windows XP)
$19.99 $19.89