5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun for fans of the series.
First, I highly recommend that you read Warcraft: Day of the Dragon (another Knaak book) before this one. Think of it as a sort of prequel to the War of the Ancients trilogy, like The Hobbit is to the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
Published on May 20, 2004 by Bevans

1.0 out of 5 stars There has to be something better to read
The story is slow and boring, the characters are weak, and the writing is absolutely terrible. The story does not get at all interesting until almost the end of the book and by that time I had already felt like I had wasted my time.

Published on November 8, 2005 by Kedez

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun for fans of the series., May 20, 2004
Bevans (White Bear Lake, MN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Warcraft: War of the Ancients #1: The Well of Eternity (Bk. 1) (Mass Market Paperback)
Not that I'm comparing the book to LotR. It's not an amazing, genre-defining work, but it's a whole lot of fun for Warcraft fans and fantasy fans.
It's filled with lots of interesting characters - not just Krasus, Rhonin, and Broxigar, but also some familiar names from the games: Furion, Illidan, Tyrande, Cenarius, and others that I won't spoil. It deals primarily with the Night Elves, and details the Burning Legion's first invasion (the second and final was covered in Warcraft III). It also tells a lot about the Dragon Aspects, the 5 caretakers of the planet.
This isn't just a slow build-up to the next two books in the trilogy. It's full of amazing and important events and battles, and leaves you wondering where it could possibly go in the second and third books.
All in all, this is a great start to what will probably be an even greater series. Warcraft fans should definitely not miss this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not genre defining, but its still a good book., December 21, 2004
At first, I was a bit hesitant to pick the book up mainly because when a company decides to pick up a good license and try to convert it to a different medium, such as a movie, the results are less than spectacular. But at the price my local bookstore was selling it, I decided to pick it up and read it. It started off slow but it slowly becomes more exciting, as the author is able to give personality to the characters in the book, and at times even be attached to them, not to mention the story is well written and will make you want more. However, I agree with one of the reviews in that the use of the time portal to bring the characters into the past is a bit campy, but its existance is explained in that its a combination of the powers of the Well of Eternity and one of the Dragon aspects.

Overall, its a very good book and I would recommend it to Warcraft and science fiction fans alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read...., November 6, 2006
I really liked this book. For any who read the "Day of the Dragon" book by Richard Knaak and liked it, you'll love this one. It has some of the old gang and some new folks as well as some people from the WC3 game. It's an easy read and I'd say a must have for any Warcraft Lore fanatics. If you wanna know how what became what this is definately a book you'll want.

5.0 out of 5 stars Venjur, June 9, 2004
By A Customer
I thoroughly enjoyed the book and read it in about 3 days. Anyone who is a fan of the games will greatly enjoy the insight into many of the characters that are in the game, but are not very well expanded on in the games (Cenarius, Malfurion/Illidan/Tyrande triangle, etc.). Also, if you are a fan of the book Day of the Dragon, you will also enjoy it as it continues the story of 3 of the characters from that book. Although it mainly centers on just 2 (Rhonin and Krasus). The book overalll does a fine job fleshing out the bits of history you pick up from the games and other books. I can't wait for part 2, The Demon Soul!

5.0 out of 5 stars The start of a great trilogy, July 4, 2005
8bitnemesis (The Exact Middle of Nowhere, USA) - See all my reviews
To be perfectly honest the only reason I got this book was because I preordered the World of Warcraft game. But when I decided to read this book I was instantly hooked. Richard A. Knaak is by far my favorite fantasy author. The trilogy takes place 10,000 years before the events of the first Warcraft game during the War of the Ancients (hence the title) and focuses primarily on the race the Night Elves. Or the Highborne as they are so often called in the book. The main characters are Krasus (Korialstraz the dragon) and Rhonin (a mage) who were both in the book Day of the Dragon (also written by Knaak) and an orc named Broxigar. Somehow the three warriors get sucked into a time portal and are dropped back into Azeroth 10,000 years in the past when it was simply known as Kalimdor. The queen of the night elves Azshara has made a deal with The Burning Legion, who for anyone who played Warcraft III are an evil group. The queen has calle upon the Legion to "cleanse the world of all the inferior races" and make the night elves the rulers of Kalimdor.

This was just a fantastically written book, and is one of the best ones I've read in a while. It is definitely one of the best fantasy trilogies that Knaak has released since the War of the Minotaurs trilogy for the Dragonlance people.

4.0 out of 5 stars Has the Goods, April 22, 2004
Big Jake "Bigg'n" (Spring, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
First, War of the Ancients was fun, Exspecially since im a Big time Warcraft buff, and for fans of the license, a must read.
The only problem to me was the beginning was kinda confusing, many things went off at once and the conclusion suddenly became known to those who needed to know.
Well This was my first Venture into the Warcraft books And I was hardly Dissapointed. I Easily understood, and enjoyed the Flow of Knaaks Style and what he added to the, though very cool, shallow surface to the characters the (warcraft) games gave to us. Cenariouse Anyone? he had nothing in Warcraft, and now we see why he was as great as he was. Good Job, Cant wait for the Second book !

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST HAVE for fantasy-readers and WarCraft players alike!, June 29, 2004
A Kid's Review
I decided to check it out based on the good reads I got from the StarCraft series (Check those out too!), and then I saw the title: The Well of Enterity. You don't have to have played the computer game or read Day of the Dragon, and this book will still make perfect sense to you. Although there are some things that only a person who has played the computer and read through the History of WarCraft from the 100 page manuals(I wonder who does that :) Amazingly well written; Richard Knaak gives each character a unique personality. I would go into the plot, but I think Amazon has already given you a better description then I could.
*goes back to digging through WarCraft history*

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow at First, but Overall Exciting, June 7, 2006
Joaquin Menchaca (San José, CA USA) - See all my reviews
The story starts off slow and doesn't seem all that exciting and it is hard to discern how the characters fit into the overall story line. It takes off later and unravels the mystery of how the heroes were brought together.

The aspects that I like is that it introduces the heroes of the past as normal everday mundane characters that are thrusted into roles that set their destiny. Also, it details the ancient elven society of the highborne and night elves. I like how one can get a feel for the culture and attitude of the elves, especially the xenophobia toward the time travelers.

The one thing about using future characters in the past (Brox, Rhonin, Krasus) is that they are outsiders viewing the elven society from an outsider's perspective. I felt this angle was useful tool, especially in illustrating the historical elven culture and problems during that era.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good read for any true Warcraft fan., January 5, 2006
This book surely is not for those who know nothing about Warcraft. By that I mean, you really have to have played through at least Warcraft III to fully appreciate what is going on in the story. World of Warcraft follows the events of WCIII, so even if you do play WoW, you still may not find War of the Ancients particularly thrilling, or even useful, really.

If you have a lot of knowledge about the events in WCIII, this is probably one of the best books you could ever read. Knaak does an excellent job of developing Malfurion, Illidan, and Tryande. The role of Cenarius is also developed significantly. So if you do want to know a bit about the first coming of the Legion, and what the Night Elves went through, pick up this book!

1.0 out of 5 stars There has to be something better to read, November 8, 2005

While reading this book I couldn't help but thinking I could be reading something better. The only reason I finished was because I bought it and didn't want to feel like I wasted my money. I ended up wasting BOTH my money and my time.

Unless you're obsessed with Warcraft there is no reason to read this book. There are much better fantasy books out there to fill your time.

Warcraft: War of the Ancients #1: The Well of Eternity (Bk. 1)
Warcraft: War of the Ancients #1: The Well of Eternity (Bk. 1) by Richard A. Knaak (Mass Market Paperback - April 1, 2004)
$8.99 $8.09