5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value for the Price
I wanted to point out a few discrepancies. The above product description reads the same as the MG800 grinder with regards to this statement: "Covered by a five-year warranty, the 450-watt motor works effortlessly and operates with a simple on/off/reverse switch". This seems to be in conflict with this part of the above Product Features: "Heavy-duty 1000 peak watts motor...
Published on February 23, 2012 by Michael in the Mountains

3.0 out of 5 stars Only body is stainless, not hopper.
Published on May 3, 2012 by PantsOnFire

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value for the Price, February 23, 2012
This review is from: Waring Pro MG855 Professional Die-Cast Metal Housing Meat Grinder, Brushed Stainless Steel (Kitchen)
I wanted to point out a few discrepancies. The above product description reads the same as the MG800 grinder with regards to this statement: "Covered by a five-year warranty, the 450-watt motor works effortlessly and operates with a simple on/off/reverse switch". This seems to be in conflict with this part of the above Product Features: "Heavy-duty 1000 peak watts motor "
The outside of the box states that it has a 1000 peak (input) watts, motor. However the sticker on the bottom of the unit says 350 watts. So I am not sure exactly how powerful this unit is but it *looks* like it means business. :)
I chose this grinder over the MG800 due to the fact it was a newer updated version with a more powerful motor and less expensive.
*UPDATE* I have run 15 lbs of Top Round through this Grinder, using the smallest grinding plate. The Grinder ran effortlessly, It did not jam or have any problems. Clean up was very easy. Make sure to oil the cutting blade and plate as soon as you clean it to prevent rust. I am looking forward to years of the freshest hamburger meat possible. After I run a few hundred pounds of meat through the grinder I will come back and update my impression of this machine.

3.0 out of 5 stars Only body is stainless, not hopper., May 3, 2012
The unit grinds very well and comes apart easily for cleaning. Just be aware that all the parts that must be cleaned after use (the hopper and screw) are aluminum, not stainless steel, and cannot be put through the dishwasher. The cutter itself is stainless steel, but all other parts must be hand washed in soapy water only. If you put the parts through the dish washer then a black tarnish coats the parts and unless it is completely removed it will contaminate the meat. It is not like an aluminum fry pan but must be a soft grade of aluminum and the tarnish is powdery and very hard to remove. I wish these parts were stainless and don't know why they aren't .. must be a cost issue, but I would pay extra for the convenience of using a dishwasher.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good grinder for the money, June 21, 2012
C. Sandry (Des Moines, IA) - See all my reviews
I am pretty happy with my new meat grinder.

positives:

1. when used correctly grinds very efficiently and reasonably quickly. I have gone through 20lbs of hamburger and 16 lbs of sausage so far. Keeping the meat very cold the machine operates quickly.

2. Easy to use and assemble and very easy to take apart and clean.

3. Attractive and shiney. You can't underestimate the power of shiney metal in a product for astetics!

4. High review is because over all this grinder functions very well and efficiently. It does what I need a grinder to do without undo stress on my hands. The instructions were easy to follow.

Criticism:

1. The plastic piece used to push/feed meat into it is black plastic with a cap on it. The cap comes off so you can store plates and pieces inside. While this is great for storage I find it annoying to have the cap keep coming off under my hand when I am using the "pusher". I may have someone cut me a wooden piece to use for this purpose.

2. Like most machines that are not crazy expensive not all of the metal pieces ARE stainless steel. This means that you must wash the blade piece and grinding plates and completely dry them immediatly. Then you coat everything with mineral oil to prevent rust. I wish I didn't have to be this careful. If the pieces do rust you can clean them with steel wool. I was, however, aware of this when I purchased the machine due to the product details.

3. Again like most feedback I have seen on grinders this machine is very noisey. Since it needs to run a fair amount of time that can get annoying. This was, however, something I expected due to all the research on electric grinders.

Some general advice for folks using this machine: Work clean and cold. Not only does putting your meat chunks into the freezer for 1-2 hours promote food safety but it makes a huge difference in the ease of feeding the meat through the grinder. When I let the meat warm I find the grinder does not like to quickly cut through the meat and the fat strands tend to get caught up in the blade more. However, very cold meat/fat feeds through very fast. Read the instructions through at least once (or more) and you will find a lot of tips about cleaning and operating the machine that work very well. It also helps to be sure you are assembling everything correctly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality, Watch Lubrication, March 18, 2012
Toby (New Jersey, USA) - See all my reviews
I am a relative sausage-making novice, having only made sausage on an old school cast iron contraption and the add on for the kitchen aid mixer. I just made my first batch and this appears to be the best of both. It is a high quality workhorse...easily grinding through 10 lbs of meat without all the elbow grease. Speaking of grease, even though I carefully cleaned all the part before the first use, my first batch became "infected" with some kind of lubricant/graphite that was inside the base of the machine. I had pulled the main screw through some of the meat when changing the grind size and it pulled the grease into the meat which I didn't notice until it was too late. I think I can avoid this in the future and am excited by my new toy, but I think this must be some kind of design flaw.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do Not Buy a Waring Pro MG855, January 23, 2013
I bought an Waring Pro MG855 mid-October 2012 thinking it was an upgrade from the smaller unit we had previously. While cleaning the unit after our first usage in early November I noticed oil residue where the Feed Screw inserts in to the motor housing. Not happy!! Had to throw away a lot of ground pork. Thinking it was excess oil from the manufacturing process I carefully cleaned the area. During the second usage the same thing occurred. Drove 30 miles to Southern Electric Co and after three weeks was given a replacement base / motor / housing. On first usage of the new machine the same oil leak in to my meat product happened. I will not serve my friends and family food tainted with motor oil. I want a full refund and will not buy / use another one of these defective products.

1.0 out of 5 stars broke after two months, July 30, 2012
Broke after two months, took it to Folsom Electronic on 6/6/12 their service center near los angeles, and i been waiting two months for the repair, they told me that hopefully would be repair by September.
Maybe its my bad luck, but if your meat grinder breaks than i think its better to buy a new one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't get one!, April 2, 2013
I bought this meat grinder to make burgers and sausages, but less than ten minutes into grinding up some sirloin from my latest wild cow hunt, the grinder just plain quit. I guess I should've paid more attention to that little "Made in China" sign. As near as I can tell, the internal gearing is made from cheap plastic, because instead of slowing down under the load of (lean, fat free, bone free) meat strips, the machine made a horrendous grinding/whining sound and refused to turn the hopper.
Very disappointed! I had to borrow someone else's grinder to do the job. I will never buy a Waring product again!
On a side note: Amazon was great about refunding my money(Thanks Sandy at customer service!) , and I will definitely be ordering from them again! This time I'm going to watch out for those China-made items!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy with this product, September 15, 2012
I bought this product after experiencing the "grey slime" issue with the kitchenaid meat grinder attachment (seems to be caused by metal shavings that are extruded along with the meat). Have used the new Waring Pro a couple of times now, and it works great, quickly grinds through meat, and doesn't get clogged with fat which was another issue I had with the kitchenaid attachment. So compared to the kitchenaid it does cost 3X as much, it takes up counter space, and is a little high maintenance (you have to wash the parts by hand), but it is more powerful and does not cause grey meat, which is key. Very happy I made the switch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicely designed unit for home kitchen, March 30, 2012
dork (Dana Point, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Just got the Waring MG-855 Professional meat grinder and have used it my first time to make hamburgers. Very nicely made grinding assembly is aluminum with steel blade and plates. The motor housing also seems aluminum. It has a great feature to store the sausage nozzles and grinding plates inside the food pusher. I put the pusher and grinder assembly in a 1 gallon zip-lock bag for storage. Motor seems strong. Good size for household use and storing - not too heavy or bulky. Easy to clean, just take apart immediately after grinding and use hot soapy water and bottle brush. Be sure to spray the grinding plates with vegetable oil and wrap in wax paper to prevent rust. I am quite happy with my purchase. No pink slime for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars great customer service, April 16, 2012
due to my own actions i created a problem with the machine.on a long shot i called customer service and they went very much out of their way to repair the machine. i would buy another waring product based on their customer service alone. great grinder. ran about 40 lbs of meat through it and it never slowed down. very powerful.

Rate and Discover Movies