5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy w/this product

3.0 out of 5 stars Waring TCO650
Published on February 21, 2013 by S. Rhodes

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy w/this product, December 7, 2012
This review is from: Waring Pro TCO650 Digital Convection Oven (Kitchen)
I am a 76yo single guy that cooks because he has to and not necessarily because I love it. When my wife was alive and at home, we ate pretty well although rather plain. She had to go into a nursing home last year and passed away 7 months later so I am now living in low income housing on my own for the first time in 40 years. I had a cheap toaster oven (B & D I believe) that died. I read reviews for about 25 or 30 different toaster ovens on Amazon. When I found the reviews for the Waring toaster oven I was highly impressed. Of all the reviews I looked at the ones for the Waring were the best (and the most). Last night I heated up a pot roast (already prepare by Jack Daniels) and it came out perfect & this morning I did a bagle (after I learned the controls) and it also came out perfect. Not being used to these kind of controls, that presents a bit of a learning curve but not unconcorable. Besides, I believe that life is a dynamic experience anyway and, therefore we are on a perpetual learning curve.
My remarks on some of the complaints. 1st the bell. I approve. I sometimes forget that I have something in the oven and the bell is a great reminder. The one person I felt had a legitimate complaint about the bell was the lady with the sleeping baby. It would be nice to have a hook on the door to pull the rack out but I don't care. I just use my ov-glove or a pair of tongs to pull it out. And speaking of racks, it would be nice to have an extra one but they can be purchased through the Waring web site for $21.00 as of 12/7/12. I don't think I have seen this next complaint for Waring but I have seen it for other toaster ovens. The complaint is that the oven gets hot on the outside!!! I don't know what planet these people are on but the last time I checked just about any kind of oven one wants to consider, will get hot when in use. My slow cooker gets hot even on low range. The oven will get too hot to touch but if the handle is too hot, send the unit back.
That is all I have to say,
Teaneckflask

5.0 out of 5 stars Bakes, broils, AND toasts well, December 27, 2012
B. Kurth (United States of America) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Waring Pro TCO650 Digital Convection Oven (Kitchen)
We purchased this because our existing toaster oven wouldn't bake frozen meat items at the high temps that were called for. But now that we have had this nice little unit for over a month, I can report that not only does it bake properly, it also broils and toasts very well indeed.

First assignment we gave it: baking frozen breaded fish patties. It performed admirably.

The front panel buttons allow you to select easily between bake, broil, and toast. After selecting "bake", you then rotate the control knob to select the desired temp, in 25 degree steps. Then you depress the knob to select the time. You choose either "0" or "1" hour, then repress the knob again to select the minutes. You can rotate the knob in either direction, which makes selecting the minutes go faster, depending on the number you want. Then depress the "Start" button and it's off and running.

A nice loud (but not too loud, in my opinion) electronic beep signals you when it's done, and the oven shuts off automatically. Yep, the oven got as hot as the fish bag called for, and the breaded fish fillets came out perfect - crispy on the outside, and sufficiently cooked on the inside.

Next assignment: broiling shrimp, in the shell, that we had butterflied and marinated.

Raised the rack to its highest position, depressed the "broil" button, pulled the door open slightly (there is a built-in detent to keep it open the correct amount, about 1 inch), waited a bit for it to come up to speed, then put the shrimp under the broiler and returned the door to its slightly ajar position. Set the timer for a couple of minutes, and began watching it carefully.

We didn't really rely on the timer on this one because only a minute or two would be needed to properly broil the shrimp until the shells just turned orange. The shrimp came out perfect.

But would it also do toast properly?

We put the rack in the middle, loaded it with 4 slices of whole wheat bread, depressed the "toast" button and left the knob setting at the default setting of "3". After a couple of minutes, it beeped and the toast was done. Slightly darker on top than on the bottom, but both sides were nicely done. A slight grid pattern on the bread, due to the rack it rests on. Decided I wanted to try a slightly less toasted run, so reloaded the rack with 4 fresh slices of bread, set the knob for "2" this time. Again the toast came out well, but slightly less toasted, as desired. Again the top was slightly more toasted than the bottom, but the difference between the two sides was again acceptable, as far as we were concerned.

We have not yet tried baking a deep dish item like a meat loaf or a chicken. But either of those items would fit in the oven if you set the rack on the lowest position, and I suspect the oven would perform just fine for either of those baking assignments also. The back of the oven is rounded, so a 12" pizza will also fit, but we haven't tried that in the oven yet either, but I see no reason why it wouldn't come out perfectly also.

This toaster oven is a keeper!

---------

Additional Info:

Since my wife gave me a Cooper oven thermometer (top choice by Cook's Magazine) for Christmas, I decided to run some temp checks on the Waring this afternoon. I tested 4 different temperature settings of the oven, and list below the temperature reading indicated on the Cooper compared to what I had dialed in on the Waring.

O degree variance ----- at 450 degree oven setting
0 degree variance ----- at 425 degree oven setting
-10 degree variance ----- at 375 degree oven setting
-5 degree variance ----- at 325 degree oven setting

The Waring appears to be very accurate indeed, running only a few degrees low, and only on the lower temp setting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Waring TCO650 Professional Toaster Oven, May 29, 2012
This review is from: Waring Pro TCO650 Digital Convection Oven (Kitchen)
My shocking recent discoveries about the safety of microwaves prompted me to search for something that wouldn't change the DNA structure of the food I eat. A little convection oven seemed to be the `it' amongst the `microwave haters' so I landed on that option. Furthermore, I found out there are gazillion little ovens and most coated with non-stick coatings that leaks toxic fumes into food and as research shows, kills birds. Why would I want to eliminate microwave for something just as toxic? So I began my search for a coating free convection oven. There are none! I gathered a list of every company that makes these ovens and called each one. None...besides Waring. All of Waring's ovens have no coatings. Why I chose this particular oven out of all of their ovens? Here is why:

The looks:
It is stainless steel with a very modern twist to it. It is an upgrade of the previous model TCO600 they made which is known to be very durable from the reviews!

Reviews:
I compared all of the reviews and called the company verifying the information I read. The company was very honest and even admitted issues with some of their more expensive ovens. Majority of my conclusions to choose this model came from the reviews of the previous model because there weren't any reviews available for the TCO650. The reviews regarding the older model were very consistent and generally with no issues. You will always find few products with problems or customers who are blaming the product catching on fire when putting paper in it but you have to look for the same issues on a product that occurred over 30 times, in my opinion, to make proper judgment. For example: based on the 30 reviews I read, I concluded Waring's CO900B and CO1500B models have problems with the door staying closed. When I called to verify the company honestly admitted there is a flaw in their design and they are working on a new design!

Customer service:
One of the best. I called 10 times. Each time I didn't have to wait long and team members were very helpful and HONEST. They gained my trust. I know that if anything happened to this product in the years down the road Waring would stand behind their products.

Quality and more:
I love the durability of Waring's products. So far, I have had this oven for 4 months and not one problem! It works great and heats up to the temperature on the digital clock. The oven cooks FAST so be very careful not to burn your food. I have cooked chicken in it, baked, toasted, heat up food. I use it at least 3 times a day. The maximum clock set up is 2 hours. So if a dish needs to be cooked for more than 2 hours that can be a little inconvenient to have to come back and restart the clock. The `beep' sound when the oven is ready to use and when the food is done is very loud and can probably wake up a dead person. BUT, it doesn't bother me at all because I always forget about me heating up food in it, etc. It is an oven, so it does get hot on the outside. Please wear gloves! It comes with 2 racks and a crumb tray that pulls out from the front. All trays and racks should be hand washed only! It has plenty of room inside for everyday use. The oven itself cooks awesome and evenly. The food is always juicy and well done on the inside yet has a very nice crunchy skin on the outside, depending on the temperature you set the oven to (I'm thinking about my coconut wings here hmmmmm). The makeup of the Waring oven seem very durable and simple and comes with a 5 year warranty. You don't even need to read instructions to figure out how it works. I am not a technology savvy person so this works perfect for me! The oven does require 6 inch space from the wall when stands on the counter for the fan and air to work properly.

Price:
The price is unbeatable considering how much I use this oven and the fact that it is green!! I bought it under $90 on Amazon.

In addition:
This is the key features Waring lists on their site:
* 6 cubic foot capacity
* Bake, Convection Bake, Broil and Toast functions
* 1500 watts of power
* Holds 6 slices of bread or a 12-inch pizza (yes, IT DOES hold 6 breads)
* Includes oven rack, baking pan and crumb tray
* Digital 60-minute timer with LCD display
* Touchpad controls
* Limited Five Year Motor Warranty

To summarize, if you are looking for a multitasking, durable, non toxic, simple oven, this is it! If you are looking for something that is a step below from having a full conversation with you if your chicken is done or not and has a million and one options, this is not it. Hope this was helpful!
If you have any questions please visit my website [...] and leave a comment there or connect with me through other social networks (:
Julia

4.0 out of 5 stars Button Functions Explained, February 11, 2013
This review is from: Waring Pro TCO650 Digital Convection Oven (Kitchen)
For those who might be wondering about the differences between some of the buttons on the front of this unit, I called customer service and found out since it doesn't provide all the details in the instruction booklet.

First, let me say that customer service is staffed with real people in the U.S.A. I ended up needing to call twice and they were very helpful both times. No long wait times and no need to go through multiple levels of automated menu options to get the answers I needed.

Bake = default temp is 350 degrees.
Convection Bake = default temp is 350 degrees and fan is activated to circulate heat.
Pizza = default temp is 400 degrees and fan is active to circulate heate.
Broil = default temp is 450 degrees and only the upper heating element is active.
Toast = upper and lower heating elements are active.
Bagel = only the upper heating element is active.

BTW, the instruction booklet is available for download at the "waringpro" website.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Toaster Oven with non toxic interior, July 25, 2012
This review is from: Waring Pro TCO650 Digital Convection Oven (Kitchen)
Searched extensively for a toaster oven without a non stick finish which gives off toxic fumes. I am very satified with this one and it has a 5 year warranty. It is the perfect size, looks great and is easy to use and clean. I have mostly used it to reheat so far.

4.0 out of 5 stars YOU CAN DISABLE THE BEEP!!!! Yay!!!, October 31, 2013
This review is from: Waring Pro TCO650 Digital Convection Oven (Kitchen)
I just purchased the Waring Pro TC0650 Convection Oven. I loved that it was non-toxic inside and had all the functions I needed, but the beep was a nightmare! So I called the service department, and lo and behold, there's a way to disable that nightmarish blood curdling beep. When the unit is off but still plugged in, you simply hold down the toast and bagel button at the same time until you hear a single beep and release. Voila, that horror sound is gone!!! So happy to learn this information - I just had to jump on the computer and share. Apparently if the unit gets unplugged you will have to repeat this process. Took me a couple of times to get it right when pushing the two buttons at once. You must press the two buttons at exactly the same time. You'll know it when you get it. Enjoy this fabulous product!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent oven and well thought out controls, November 22, 2012
This review is from: Waring Pro TCO650 Digital Convection Oven (Kitchen)
This toaster oven replaced a Cuisinart toaster oven that cost twice as much. So far we prefer the Waring. It has a larger (taller) cavity and three different shelf height options.

What I especially like is the design of the controls. You select an option like toast and then use the rotary dial to set the duration. The Waring as less than half the buttons of the Cuisinart so it makes it simpler to use without a second thought or needing glasses to read the labeling as with the Cuisinart.

The Waring also shuts off when the set time is reached so you do not have to go to it immediately and turn it off to keep food from being overdone.

4.0 out of 5 stars I use it almost everyday! A low carb bachelors friend!, August 12, 2012
So bottom line upfront:

Pros:
* Shortest length for 12inch toaster I've seen yet (space)
* Great looking (esp for $90)
* Makes the PERFECT tortilla pizza
* Easy to clean

Cons:
* Backside could be smaller to save more space (has a bump)
* Only comes with one rack (two would be great)
* Can't set the default to your own choice (for example when you hit toast the default is 3...I have to move the dial to 2 and then push set)
* Loud Beep

I've not had any issues with this beauty of a toaster. I got this because I wanted to toast my tortillas...I've got a routine and standing over a stove with a comeil to cook tortillas is not gonna happen. The keurig does coffee, the toaster crisps my tortilla. I've made awesome pizzas, wraps and toast too. It's easy to clean (bottom tray comes out real easy). I wouldn't put it in the dishwasher...if it rusts you'll hafta look at that..no bueno!

I've also used the baking part of this to make a meatloaf! Heating a stove or toaster oven on a summer's night...right! #winning on energy and cooling

I would buy it again and highly recommend...Going over the cons, in the back is the bump that takes up about 3 inches...must be the heat mechanism, wish that would've just made it longer. I wanted to make two pizzas but with only one rack and a tray (didn't wanna use the tray on tortillas) I just did them separately. I can't find an additional tray on amazon so bugger on that! I elaborated above on the default settings (maybe I should see if a pdf discusses this) and of course if you set it to the wrong setting and hit start/stop u get that annoying loud beep.

Does this make it 3 stars? NOPE! My weighting system has the Pros at a very strong weight class...3.7? egh...no I'd give it a solid 4**** but it won't get a 5 :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Waring TCO650, February 21, 2013
This review is from: Waring Pro TCO650 Digital Convection Oven (Kitchen)
This toaster works great in most functions. It is flexible in how the display/timer works. I like the height and the three rack positions. I did not like how noisy the convection bake fan was. I sent it back. Amazon was great in how they handled this problem. I picked up the same model number oven from Lowes and it made the same amount of noise. It is a design problem. I can hear it from 20 feet away with the TV on in the other room. I kept this one because I got it for almost thirty dollars less.The "done"beeper is loud but don't you want to hear it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lets talk about the beep..., February 10, 2013
This review is from: Waring Pro TCO650 Digital Convection Oven (Kitchen)
Let me start by saying, I love this toaster oven! I almost didn't buy it because all of the negative reviews about the beeping noise it makes. Those who reviewed this badly because of the beep made it sound like it was a deafening noise. It is not. The beep is loud enough to hear if you do not wait in the kitchen for things to cook. Personally, I put food into the toaster oven and them I am off to do other things. I like that the beep is loud enough to get my attention... The only way this could pose an actual problem for someone is if they have a sleeping child who is extremely sensitive to sound. It is no different than the beep of my microwave or the timer on my oven though, so I really don't get it. This is a great toaster oven. Do not let the few negative reviews deter you; the beep is really no big deal.

Waring Pro TCO650 Digital Convection Oven