1 Review

2.0 out of 5 stars The single player mode is really just multiplayer with bots!, July 4, 2008
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Warpath - Xbox (Video Game)
It must be in style to make games with no story lines these days. I really don't like deathmatch only games, but this game really didn't say anything about it being like that. Anyway, this game plays very similar to Unreal Tournament or Quake III. I'm really not very partial to these games. I thought maybe Warpath would have a single player story-line, but I was completely wrong. I'm not saying multiplayer games are bad, it's just not really my thing and I much prefer a story line to get into. I just wish they would advertise that fact a little better so I know more about what I'm buying!

The single player sequence is very similar to a multiplayer sequence, only you're fighting against bots. For the amount of time I was playing this game it didn't seem like there were a huge amount of maps. I really do wish they had a real story mode to go with this game because the character concepts are actually really cool! Even though they are a bit cliché, I still liked them. Like Quake III and Unreal Tournament this is a sci-fi based game and you can play as any of the three races, one of which is human, the others are the Ohm, a cybernetic race, and the Kovos who are a warrior race and actually rule the territory. The single player sequence does seem somewhat unique where you get to choose the battlefield and then you have to defend against the opposing forces depending on which race you are. This is all mapped out on a small grid and when you control the whole thing you win. Of course you have to do this multiple times on different maps for that grid. Unfortunately because this game strictly plays like a multiplayer game that relies solely on "who can get the most kills" and "capture flag" scenarios it gets rather tiring after a while. Seriously, those are like the only two scenarios they had me go through. The difficulty level varies and some sections were more difficult than others, but still they were all the same format.

The weapons you get to choose from are a little less than exciting. When you start out you can only choose one weapon in single player, then you have to beat levels and you can eventually choose a different one. It appears you can only choose from three main weapons and three secondary weapons. This was kind of disappointing and it seems like this game was thrown together rather quickly just to cash in on Unreal Tournament fans... without it being Unreal Tournament. I don't know, I'm pretty disappointed in this purchase. If you're a really huge fan of multiplayer styled games then this game probably isn't too bad. I mean it even has vehicles you can drive around, but I didn't play on any maps that were big enough to really take advantage of this. The one map I was on that did have a vehicle was pretty small and I didn't see the point in having a vehicle. If you're into Unreal Tournament, you should probably stick with those, because from what I've played that system has a much better design and a bit smoother play. Also, this is the first review on Amazon for this game and since it came out quite some time ago, I wouldn't expect there to be a lot of people on Xbox live playing this. So unless you really like being challenged by bots in your multiplayer game, I'd say this is something to skip.

Warpath - Xbox
Warpath - Xbox by Groove Games (Xbox)
Used & New from: $0.20