on April 13, 2012
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
Ok, I will be the first to admit, that the title says it all: "Warrior Cardio." Maybe that should have been a clue that this is going to go way beyond what most people are looking for in a workout book. I am a middle-aged guy, getting back in shape, and - from the title - was hoping to find some new ways to do cardio that were not mind-numbing like a treadmill or elliptical trainer. I got the book the other day, and while I normally wait to review items until I have used them for a time, I wanted to get this up so others don't make the mistake I did. With return fees, it isn't worth me sending the book back - and I will be able to use a couple exercises in here in my daily routine. I kknow that a lot of times, these workout book reviews get jammed with groupies or friends of the author trying to hype the book - but I am neither. I am the average joe, sitting in my office, avoiding that painfully long project report by shopping on Amazon. So, here goes:

I gave the books 4 stars because there are a lot of positives in it:
- I found some good nutritional information, but the overall diet is a bit more than I am looking for.
- The book is beautifully photographed, the exercises pretty well staged out - as well as you can get in a book - and it seems to have a good flow to it.
- all of the models are very buff and good looking, and will inspire you to push the workout a little harder.

My one complaint - I am not complaining because I am average fitness guy would would need two simpler workout programs to build to this one - is that some of the workouts are REALLY unrealistic in normal people's homes or regular gyms. My gym does not have truck tires for me to push all over. I don't have room at my house for a full sled to tie to myself and drag around the yard. And I have never seen barbells with special handles on them for me to carry around doing lunges. So - for the average person, unless you are in MMA or something like that and have access to a professional gym that has this equipment, some of these are going to go way beyond what we can do. I did like some of the bodyweight exercises - some of them I will build up to, but they seem to be a good challenge.

Also, the book isn't really about just Cardio. A lot of the exercises are muscle building or would not be a cardio exercise unless you had the strength to do them quickly enough to count as cardio.

So, overall it is visually one of the nicest workout books I have seen in a while. The logic behind the program seems sound. But it is not for beginners or maybe even intermediate level people. If you are an athlete and have 8% body fat and muscles - lord love you if you do - then this book would definately take you to the next level, if you have access to the equipment. I just wish they had been more clear about the level of the workouts - the "getting fit" part is a little misleading.

No disrespect to the authors here, because they obviously know what they are talking about and their enthusiasm shows in the book. It was just not quite what I thought it would be and I don't have room for truck tires or weight sleds to try and follow the program at home. I would rupture something if I even tried.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 11, 2012
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I've been following Martin Rooney and Training For Warriors for a while now, but I am always a little nervous when it comes time to see a fitness book. This book did not disappoint.

As an MMA fighter, a personal trainer, and a fitness nut I was very interested in seeing what this book was all about, so, like any reasonable person - I preordered it. Okay, I'll admit that this was the first book I have ever preordered... I was a little nervous. This book is page after page of different exercises, circuits, tips, methodologies, inspirations and pure knowledge. I am amazed at the simplicity of the breakdown of the book. He breaks it down into different sections based on the type of circuit, from there he breaks every circuit up into different body types. Each type of circuit has an instructional section followed by different interval and repetition suggestions.

On top of all the fitness instructions, Rooney includes a nutrition section. Now everyone might not agree but as a personal trainer I love that he did not just include a "Here's what to eat for 4 weeks" guide. Rooney goes through and breaks down nutrition in a very easy to understand way. Not only does it include tips for what to avoid, what to eat, and such for loosing weight, but also for gaining weight and mass (something usually overlooked in general fitness books).

I suppose if I was going to have a complaint it would be that some of the pages seem to be missing of few steps in the instructional photos. I have been doing this for a while, so I can fill in the spaces, but I could see how a beginner could get confused. Let me say though, that with almost 400 pages of FULL COLOR photos, this is hardly a negative.

In conclusion, I tore through this book in one day and threw two of the circuits together (which tore through me). I recommend this book to anyone looking to get in shape or improve their game. The great thing about circuits is that they can be tailored to any fitness level or athletic ability. Great job and congratulations to Martin Rooney!
on August 11, 2012
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
The book contained a lot of great information. I especially enjoyed the workouts that were presented by the author. I've had great workouts utilizing the information and workout plans that are found in the book. My biggest complaint is that in the schedule, many of the exercises that the author tells you to perform do not make sense because they are not "titled" to match the wording or verbiage used throughout the book. For example, a Monday workout will tell to perform "all mini plyo hops and movement drills" which is easy to understand because those exercises maintain the same title/verbiage in the book. The problem comes when executing, say a Tuesday workout, where the book tells you to perform "all muscle activation exercises" and you're left to try and figure out what exercises these are because they are not referred to as such anywhere in the book! If each workout maintained specific verbiage it would be a 5-Star rating. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to utilize the information completely because I'm left to try and figure out exactly what exercises the author is recommending on specific days.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: Paperback
In the foreword to Martin Rooney's new book, WARRIOR CARDIO, Top 10 ranked UFC Lightweight, Jim Miller tells us "In the 3 years I have been following the Training for Warriors system, I have changed from a tough local-level fighter into a professional athlete. I have fought ten times for the UFC, going 9-1 over that span and I am ranked Top 10 in the World. I have not only been able to pack on 10 pounds of muscle and add hundreds of pounds to my lifts, but I have also stayed healthy."

So let's consider that. Top ranked, 10 pounds of muscle (remember, combat sport has demanding weight categories), strong and healthy. Sounds like a triple win.

WARRIOR CARDIO is the distillation of Martin Rooney's formidable experience. He has worked with athletes from the UFC, NBA, NFL, Olympians, armed forces and Division 1 colleges. Moreover, he himself has performed at the highest levels in a number of disciplines. So he's the embodiment of practicing what he preaches. And this, for me, is the clincher. What he says, is what he does and I can tell you, it's infectious.

If you are familiar with Training for Warriors and Ultimate Warrior Workouts you will know Rooney Rule #1 - "We don't do something for nothing". WARRIOR CARDIO is designed, without compromise, to get you fight ready, whether that fight is getting in the best shape possible or preparing to go 5 rounds in the ring. No knowledge or experience of martial arts or combat sport is required. Training for Warriors is aimed at each and every one of us. If you have any doubts just read Martin's blog, you'll feel better for it, I promise.

WARRIOR CARDIO breaks down in to three sections.

Part One

Getting Started, gives an initial view of what we have come to consider "cardio". Martin's long time mentor Dr Tony Caterisano gives us the Science. It's a wonderfully concise overview of the various energy systems along with a solid breakdown on the nuts and bolts of WARRIOR CARDIO. If you want the why, this is it. It will have you question many of the practices that have become conventional wisdom. It will also introduce you to a way of training that banishes boring cardio in exchange for a comprehensive system that provides incredible bang for your buck.

Mental Cardio is essential reading. Martin knows about coaching. I am not talking about teaching an exercise or providing a workout. I am talking about the ability to engage at the deepest level. Mental Cardio looks at the components of building a resilient athlete from the inside out. Some folk will want to skim over this section. I strongly advise that you sit down, read it thoroughly and apply. Taking the time to do this might be the best investment you can make.

Warrior Performance Self Evaluation. If you want to know where you are going you have to know where you are at. There are separate Speed and Power Tests and an eye opening Endurance Test. Once again, everything is laid out and ready to apply. You'll be able to rate your performance for each test which gives you an invaluable benchmark to work from.

Warrior Prehab 15 lays out a top to toe routine with 15 carefully chosen drills. This stuff is standard issue within the Warrior Cardio 12 week program and it might just be the nicest thing you can do to your body. People are quick to jump in to the deep end. The key to staying injury free is taking your time to get the body moving through a natural range of motion. WP15 is the answer.

Warrior Cardio Warm Up. Here's another aspect that we are quick to skim over. This warm up with challenge you. There are a number of dynamic drills, mapped out in sequence. There's no doubt that you'll be familiar with many of these. But I can bet you don't do them! Once you are familiar with the drills it's easy to mix and match. Failing that, the drills are integrated into the 12 week program.

Part Two takes us right in to the Metabolic Training section where everything is explained in detail with accompanying photographs. You will find all manner of tools and enough variety to challenge and engage even pickiest prospect. Martin maps out the 10 Commandments of Metabolic Training then delivers -

Energy Circuits,
TFW's trademark Hurricanes
Barbell, Dumbbell & Kettlebell Circuits
Bodyweight training
Speciality Strength Circuits
Sprint Training
Finishers
Core workouts.

It is a complete toolbox incorporating everything you can lay your hands on. Challenging? Yes. Boring? No way.

Part Three focuses on -

Nutrition for Warriors. Martin has brought in the talents of Dr John Berardi and his team to give us a resoundingly sensible approach to how we fuel our bodies. Berardi's Precision Nutrition is one of the most respected nutrition programs available. Here we get a no gimmicks approach, focussing of the kind of foods athletes eat to maintain muscle, get lean and perform at the highest level. It's a relief to see real food front and centre. The supplements section is practical look at what actually delivers, listing the benefits of ten key supplements and how to ingrate them in to your diet. Information on gaining, losing and cutting weight rounds out this Nutrition for Warriors. Again, the approach is practical and informed by people who actually do this, week in, week out.
Warrior Cardio 12 Week Program. It makes a lot of sense to read this book cover to cover before jumping in to the 12 Week program. The 12 week program maps out three sessions per week. Each comes complete with Prehab and Warm Up drills followed by Metabolic Training and finishing with a brief Core Training session. If you really want to understand and benefit from Martin's years of experience, I suggest you "absorb what is useful" and get to applying it!
on August 8, 2013
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
P.385 "this chapter contains a 12 week workout featuring the exercise is contained in this book."
However
P.386 Week 1 Wednesday "all stationary warm up drills(pp. 43-48 in Training g for Warriors)"
which is the first of several references to an entirely different book entitled "training for warriors". In order to complete the 12 week coursework in this book you have to access the previous book. Therefore this book is not complete as it claims. This should make you dubious about this book as well as any other training book. You would have to pre read and cross reference the curriculum prior to purchasing to insure the book gives you what it claims. Very disappointing.
on June 17, 2013
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
This is a great color fitness book that gives an overview of the Training for Warriors fitness program. The book gives nice color photos along with detailed explanation on basic lifts, complexes, energy circuits and hurricanes. You get a great overview of the many different types of training modalities that the TFW system uses. Great reference book and a wonderful addition to your fitness library.
on September 12, 2013
Great book!

I found that they book had a great overview on training and also the "why" behind Martin's TFW philosophy. The book is super high quality, the pics and presentation are top notch. As far as the efficacy of the program I can tell you it is legit. I am a certified trainer and have gone through the 12 week program myself and was please with the overall pacing and design. Out of the blocks I was a little surprised that Martin strongly recommends this as a 3 day per week (with an optional 4th training day) program. In a day and age where more is perceived to be "better", Martin stands his ground and focuses equally (and importantly) on rest, recovery and nutrition. Martin brought on Dr. JB from Precision Nutrition to help round out the nutrition section. While it is not super detailed it is on point, practical and applicable.

My only gripe about the book is that there are a number of conditioning tools involved in the core workouts that are simply not readily available in most training environments(Prowlers, Tires, Hammers, etc) and no alternative movements were listed. I was able to go online and find substitutions but it would have been nice had they been included.

Overall a great read and good resource to have on the shelf.
on May 31, 2012
Format: Paperback
This is a great book overall. The nutritional information is great, although i'm following a different pattern of eating(Paleo). The excercises are great as well - the Prehab and warmups alone are worth the price of this book. All the exercises are great too. I tend to favor the bodyweight and the kettlebell exercises since i have a bell at home. What i think comes up short in this book is the exercise program. The layout is simple to follow and pretty effective, however when you read through it, it specifies exercises not in the book at all, but rather in another book of his(the original TFW book). If you put out a workout program, the components of that program should all be in the same book and not referenced in another book elsewhere.

This is my only complaint about the book. That would not stop my from buying it though. i'll have to just omit the stuff that's not in the book and still get an effective workout. 4 stars
on April 13, 2012
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I buy alot of strenght and condtioning books - some are good, some not so much. This book book exceeded my expectations in every way. First of all, for the money, its a huge book. Photographs are large and in color. Mr. Rooney covers just about every aspect of conditioning you can think of in this book. He lays out tons of options involving weights, strongman implements, and bodyweight. He gives you a very good guide on diet, and a twelve you cycle you can follow if you choose. This book gives you eveything you need to get in shape no matter what you're goals are. I highly recommend this book for all.
on April 15, 2013
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
If you picked up the first two books this is the perfect companion. It seems that every few years Mr. Rooney either gains a little more experience or includes a little more of his method. The only things I'm critical of are his placing the stretching before the warm up and his supplements. Especially using the one gram of protein per pound as opposed to the .7 grams. Both are a little dated.