Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Warrior
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Audio CD|Change

on December 7, 2012
Since the beginning of her pop career, I've been a Ke$ha fan. The initial guilty pleasure of her music turned into full-fledged appreciation of her as an artist. But how does her latest album stack up to her previous works in terms of expectations and talent? Here are ten things you need to know about Kesha's Warrior:

1. Dance - On the surface, Kesha's albums have always been about dance pop, and Warrior delivers! The first five tracks are solid, and that style resurfaces in later songs as well. Fans of Kesha's mainstream hits will not be disappointed.

2. Variety - Despite the fun barrage of dance tunes, Warrior offers more musical variety than ever before. Several tracks employ various elements of rock, from heavy drums to guitar, while "Wonderland" is a country song at heart.

3. Performance - Kesha can still rap and be endearingly crude, but that doesn't stop her from singing with a new sense of purpose. "Crazy Kids" features a wide range of fun vocal styles while "Wonderland" is more even and raw. Warrior has Kesha at her best whether she's loud and confident or soft and vulnerable.

4. Songwriting - Warrior is catchy, thrilling, and even beautiful at times. Kesha is a proven songwriter, and she's smart to develop songs to their full potential via collaboration. The end result is a more cohesive, meaningful, and larger collection of songs than her previous releases.

5. Collaboration - Aside from long-time songwriting partner and producer Dr. Luke, Kesha worked with the Flaming Lips, will.i.am, Nate Ruess of Fun, and others to bring Warrior to life. But the biggest surprise is Iggy Pop joining Kesha on the brash rock duet "Dirty Love."

6. Uncensored - The explicit version of Warrior offers the most honest version of Kesha yet. Previous albums had some crude language, but Kesha was often censored and constrained. Fans had to rely on b-sides and live shows to hear what Kesha wanted us to hear. Warrior is Kesha unleashed!

7. Production - Several arguments can be made against the loudness war and autotune, but thanks to Dr. Luke, Warrior's sound is tight and powerful while embracing both. True, Kesha has a beautiful natural voice, but the end result fits well into her most polished album yet.

8. Love - Kesha has said the theme of Warrior is magic, but the album is really about love (in all of its forms) and how that feeling can often be magical. It's easy to relate when Kesha explores her energetic sexuality without ignoring her soulful tenderness.

9. Maturity - Warrior showcases a more mature Kesha in nearly every aspect. She knows more about herself, she's better at her craft, and her music is more honest than ever. Her work is still fun, but it's deeper. She builds on her usual trends by broadening her outlook on music and life, and it's refreshing to see her grow without losing her way.

10. Deluxe Edition - Warrior's Deluxe Edition offers four more songs that act as an encore bringing the album to a better close. They expand the depth and fun of Kesha without being filler. No fan should miss these!

Conclusion
If you're a fan of Kesha's music, then Warrior is for you! With more variety, honesty, and maturity than her previous works, newcomers should consider it too. Warrior feels like the album Kesha has always wanted to make, and that's why I give it five stars.
22 comments|61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 4, 2012
*4.5 Stars*

Well whataya know? Kesha actually CAN sing, well sort of.

It's been two years since the release of her 2010 EP "Cannibal", and in that waiting period Kesha ducked under the radar, going through a self-proclaimed spiritual journey to find new inspiration. She was also determined to finally knock down the accusations of her vocal talent (or lack thereof). Did it work? In a word, yes.
Perhaps Kesha and Christina Aguilera should have switched album titles, because while Aguilera's 2012 album "Lotus" mainly focused on being a fighter, "Warrior" focuses more on Kesha's own rebirth and new found cause to represent the misfits everywhere. The opening title tracks proudly exclaims: "We were born to break the doors down, fighting till the end. It's something inside of us, it's how we've always been" in a defiant chant. There's "Die Young" the album's lead single that holds influences from "Animal" and "Cannibal", but also steers towards a more tangible sound instead of drum-machines and auto-tune. In fact, auto-tune has been virtually abandoned, even though Kesha didn't abandon her musical parent Dr. Luke. His perfect pop production keeps the flow, but is now ready to let Kesha, the person, come to the forefront and not her hot mess public image. Instead, she's a little more put together, a little more cohesive and now has a musical ambition. As calculated and as pop-machined "Animal" and "Cannibal" were, they were a necessary move for Kesha. Now that she's gotten that out of her system, she now has a cause: to prove to the world she is a credible artist.

Kesha may come across dumb, because she is nowhere near stupid. All of her own songs, and songs she's featured in, are HER creations, with the help of a couple other songwriters. She's sung back-up vocals for other prominent singers, she's worked with the best hit-makers in the music business, if there's anyone who knows how to make popular music, it's her. And "Warrior" proves she is one of the only artists who can not only add 70s rock and light pop/rock to her track list, but throws them in with her signature style and you ultimately wouldn't notice any change of pace. She will never be tasteful, that's for sure, but she's also continuing to stray away from being crude and is entering into taunting and teasing with the disgusting. She knows exactly what goes into making pop that is irresistible and at the same time is expanding her horizons to lean towards messages besides getting sleazy, partying all night and waking up in bathtubs. "Warrior" may not be as bright as the sun and fun music of "Animal", and it also may not be well-suited for the clubs like "Cannibal", but it's all the more compelling because of it. In "Wonderland", Kesha finally masters the challenge of a ballad (this is also proven in the deluxe version with her most raw vocal performance: "Last Goodbye"), in "Crazy Kids" she hits glory notes that no one ever would have thought she was capable of. She can't out-Whitney Whitney, but she can still crank out the hits like her. "Warrior" is the culmination of Kesha's spiritual journey, and this victory proves that we as an audience may not appreciate her as much as we should. It took eleven months, but this is the first pop album that's enjoyable all the way through.

Like it or not, "Warrior" is the best pop album of 2012. Regardless of genre, it's still up there
on December 7, 2012
When Ke$ha was still somewhat new on the scene, I received a lot of flack for supporting an artist whom so many were quick to write off as just another drunken party girl desperate for her 15 minutes. Now, I admit I love my share of mindless pop music anyway, but what made her stand out for me was her incredible knack for writing strong, catchy hooks and incorporating clever, intricate wordplay. And however silly the finished product might be, you never got the feeling that she wasn't in on the joke, unlike so many other popular artists who shall remain nameless. I don't throw around the word genius very often, but as pop music goes, she really is. Needless to say, I was very much looking forward to her new album, Warrior.

Truth be told it's kind of a difficult album to rate, because while she has no doubt matured as a person and as a musical artist (see next paragraph), on the surface a large portion of it just isn't as catchy as I would have expected, and as I said above that's one of the things I can usually count on in a Ke$ha record. When the single Die Young was released to radio, it never really elevated beyond "just okay" to me, and still hasn't. The message is good, of course, but it ultimately felt like a half-hearted reworking of We R Who R from her last CD. Unfortunately, I'd say a good half the album is comprised of tracks that left me feeling the same way - not bad necessarily, but nothing you'd likely be caught singing along to, and only just distinctive enough to vaguely remind you of something else she'd done before. Not that there aren't some classic Ke$ha gems to be found here; Thinking of You is a really good "up yours" kind of song that would make your grandmother's hair stand on end, and All That Matters is a welcome throwback to 90's dance in the vein of Real McCoy or Ace of Base. Her duet with Iggy Pop, called Dirty Love, puts her in full rocker mode and is actually quite impressive considering it doesn't even break three minutes. Still, even the tracks I do enjoy in the moment have yet to really solidify themselves in my brain the way Tik-Tok or Take it Off did upon first listen a couple years ago.

However, if you dig a little deeper and look beyond the obvious lack of Top 40 potential, you might be surprised to find that where the record really shines is in its ballads. "Introspective" isn't a word that comes up a lot in relation to Ke$ha, but songs like Wonderland paint a poignant picture of a successful young woman remembering her roots, while Love Into the Light is a forward-looking electro ballad bordering on ethereal. Absolutely phenomenal. Past Lives deserves honorable mention here as well, though my favorite song on the album has to be Last Goodbye; the acoustic structure is not only an unexpected direction for her to take, but really accentuates her vocal range and abilities. Play this one for any of her detractors and you'll have them eating their words, guaranteed.

So, like I said, taken as a whole Warrior is pretty tricky to form a definitive opinion about. Many of the elements I loved about her earlier releases are downplayed this time around, but at the same time she took so many new risks that paid off and you just can't help but appreciate her as an evolving artist. She wears a lot of hats and dabbles in a lot of styles this time around, but a common theme of self-acceptance and enjoying life runs throughout without ever pandering to or victimizing her audience a la Lady Gaga. (Before anyone goes off, I adore Gaga and her efforts at equality awareness. But it often seems she's bent solely on gaining sympathy for her problems rather than solving them. Just an observation.) In fact, in a weird way, even though I don't love as many individual tracks as I do on her past CDs, Warrior still somehow comes off as the better overall album. I still don't think it's the most mainstream or hook-heavy brand of pop music you'll hear - you really need to LISTEN to it rather than let it play mindlessly in the background at some party - but the way she manages to be fun, silly, bold, gross, witty, thoughtful, meloncholy, sarcastic, and inspirational all at the same time is indeed a feat to behold.
on December 11, 2012
I love Kesha and I love going to see her in concert. She is fun, exciting and talented. This album doesn't deliver. Her first two albums had the mainstream catchy songs but had additional fun or sweet songs. This album only has two and a half good songs. I love the collaboration with Iggy Pop but I wish Warrior had more of it. Overall, for how long this album took to come out and how good her two previous albums were, this is a huge disappointment. Let's hope she releases something else soon or she will fade into obscurity.
on November 19, 2013
As I write this review, Ke$ha's second full-length "Warrior" has been out almost exactly one year. So many artists whose success breaks out almost overnight and like a firestorm on their debut, as was the case with Ke$ha in 2010, are sure to fizzle out considerably on subsequent releases. Well, I am glad to report to you that this is most certainly not the case here!

Far from being a sophomore slump of any kind, "Warrior" may be even better than its predecessor. While there is nothing here that is quite the level of "instant classic" in terms of radio accessibility as was her breakout hit "Tik Tok," overall "Warrior" is a step forward in other ways and a more mature, well-rounded album. I think this has a lot to do with Ke$ha's lyrics being a little more meaningful and substantive on this one. All told, there are still a fair amount of the type of lyrics about a free-spirited party lifestyle that we have come to know and love from her like "I don't wanna go to sleep/I want to stay up all night/I don't want to think about what's going to be after this/I want to just live right now" (from "C'mon"). Phrases like these make Ke$ha's music the ideal party music. I know I work second shift and I love listening to her CDs in the middle of the night until, well, "when the sun's comin' up." Her lyrics such as these assert a central and universal theme, of both how good it is to be young and how good it is to be alive. Ke$ha's music is true to herself. She doesn't water it down or make it all flowery and diluted like some mainstream pop stars do. She is the real deal. She can rap like she's from the streets to be sure, with even the occasional f-bomb thrown in here and there for good measure, and yet there is always that remnant present of her suburban Tennessee valley girl roots as well. Ke$ha is an outcast at heart, almost like a hybrid of the Sex Pistols and electro dance pop. I love how in my favorite track here, "Wherever You Are," when she says, "Love will never die," she says the word "die" with such a defiant sneer, not unlike Johnny Rotten before her. Very convincing and distinctive. Finally, perhaps the lyrics that stand out the most to me are in closer "Love into the Light," where Ke$ha poses the question (to paraphrase her): "Can we all get over (our differences) and stop talking (garbage)" about each other? Something for all of us to consider, no doubt, and a superb way to end this excellent album.

So, if you can't already tell, I absolutely love this CD and Ke$ha, which is why I can't for the life of me fathom why "Warrior," although it's been a modest success, has, even after a year, yet to achieve gold status sales-wise, unlike its multi-platinum predecessor. I love both albums and own and will buy anything she ever puts out. She is my favorite female artist to come along in years. All in all, "Warrior" is a super successful sophomore outing. The songs are catchy, fun to listen to, and life-affirming. Highly recommended to any and all Ke$ha fans!
on January 17, 2014
I honestly never thought I'd end up becoming a Kesha fan, but here I am. While I greatly enjoyed Animal for all it's upbeat party songs, but this album features a slightly more serious (and softer) set of songs. I wouldn't say it's better or worse than Animal, just different. I'll now go through all of the songs in order and talk a bit about each.

"Warrior" (5/5) - The album starts off strong with its title track. This is sort of a power anthem for all the misfits out there. Like many previous Kesha songs, this one touches on themes of reckless freedom and the struggle to maintain that freedom to exist outside common cultural norms. Unlike previous songs, though, this one is the most aggressive about asserting its message, and helps start the album off with a punch of energy!

"Die Young" (5/5) - I love this song. It's really a testament to living in the moment and the fragility of life. While it's technically a "party" song, it has an edge to the lyrics that reminds us to beware our impending mortality and thus strive to live life to the utmost fullest - all wrapped up in a catchy chorus.

"C'mon" (5/5) - Much like "Die Young" this song also attempts to convey the idea of living for the moment ("I don't want to think about what's gonna be after this/I wanna just live right now") . Unlike "Die Young" though, this one couches the theme in a love story (or perhaps a 'lust' story?). Kesha's trademark sexuality is present and powerful here, making this song both lusty and yet also strangely touching.

"Thinking of You" (5/5) - This song talks about a cheating boyfriend. I get the sense it's a bit of a "revenge song" in that Kesha seems to be rubbing her fame in this unnamed guy's face. Fine enough, I suppose. It's not the deepest nor most interesting lyrics, but the music is good and holds my attention well. Also, I must note that it's worth getting the explicit version to hear Kesha say "suck my d***" in this song, which is pretty darn funny.

"Crazy Kids" (5/5) - I love the whistle-y background music in this song - it really adds an interesting sound to the song. Lyrically, this seems to be yet another sort of "anthem" to irreverent freedom and joyous indulgence for all the "crazy kids" out there, but unlike "Warrior" this one has a bit more of a subdued tone. The song really draws the listener into that world, as though we too can get a glimpse into what it's like to to truly not give a f*** and just enjoy life. It's beautiful.

"Wherever You Are" (5/5) - This one's another love-related song, but this time about a lost love. With lyrics like "wherever you are/know that our love will never die" one would think this is about Kesha pining for this previous boyfriend. I see it more as the idea that she's tucked away a special place in her brain for that memory, not so much that she's actively pining for him. Even when we break up with someone, that emotional connection isn't so easily severed and those feelings just sort of settle into the back of our minds somewhere - pushed aside but not entirely forgotten. Either way, it's a lovely song.

"Dirty Love ft. Iggy Pop" (5/5) - This is a great, high energy song! It's really a tribute to shameless, totally physical, unbridled sexuality, and I love it! This song also helps show off her vocal range. There's not much more to say but that.

"Wonderland" (5/5) - This song is absolutely lovely, but it's also rather depressing. Not depressing in the traditional sense, but it captures that horrible, creeping feeling that will claim us all eventually - that feeling of getting older and coming to realize that the previous fun, carefree lifestyle is forever lost to time, not because the specific situations are unable to be recreated, but because they have lost their meaning to someone who's grown more experienced in life and has lost the careless naivete necessary to full appreciate those experiences. The atmosphere in this song is a special kind of existential sadness not easily captured by a pop song, and I applaud Kesha for it, even if it's not always the easiest thing to listen to.

"Only Wanna Dance With You" (5/5) - This is yet another love song, this one showing off Kesha's more emotional side. Not a whole lot to say about it - it's a rather pretty song, and I like it.

"Supernatural" (5/5) - As though to contrast the more emotional "Only Wanna Dance With You", this song is very clearly about exploring love purely through sensual bliss and physical pleasure. However, it is no less beautiful than her more emotional songs. I really appreciate this positive portrayal of sexual expression and this is definitely one of my favorite songs on the album.

"All That Matters (The Beautiful Life)" (5/5) - While this song continues the thematic elements from "Die Young" and "C'mon", to me it's really more of a sequel to "Crazy Beautiful Life" off the Cannibal EP. In this song, Kesha even more strongly affirms the value of seizing the moment and enjoying the many pleasures of life to their fullest. It's a very uplifting song that reminds us that "all that matters is the beautiful life" and that's all that really should matter given the brief time we have to exist...

"Love Into The Light" (5/5) - From the title one might be lead to believe this is just another standard love song, but it's really not. This song is actually about imperfection (and specifically denouncing those who believe she has to be some sort of role model for society), and learning to love yourself with your flaws despite criticism from others. It's a nice song and a good addition to the album.

"Last Goodbye" (5/5) - This is a bonus song off of the Deluxe Edition of Warrior. This is another rather standard song about missing an ex-boyfriend, but it's nicely pulled off with genuine emotion and is pleasant to listen to.

"Gold Trans Am" (5/5) - This is also a bonus song from the Deluxe Edition. It has an almost country sound, and has a strangely patriotic theme to it ("love you till you're seeing stars and stripes", "gonna take you for a freedom ride") while also displaying Kesha's typically healthy sexual appetite. It's just a generally fun-sounding song, and an enjoyable listen.

"Out Alive" (5/5) - This is the third bonus song. This song has an apocalyptic feel to its lyrics. There's a real sense of impending doom in this song, and rather than feelings of desperation, there's more a sense of resignation. The narrator embraces the idea that struggling against fate is futile and instead endorses the idea of just accepting it and essentially "living it up tonight" and riding out the end of the world in a haze of hedonistic pleasures (a point emphasized by the upbeat tune). It's also possible that this song is not literally about the apocalypse but is actually just using apocalyptic imagery as a metaphor for the human condition. Lines such as "no one's getting out alive/all the gold on Earth/it won't buy time" seem to imply the idea of mortality and how no one, no matter how much money they have and how much they struggle, can avoid their inevitable demise, so they "might as well give up the fight" and essentially just try to enjoy life as much as possible before it's gone (i.e. "live it up tonight"). Well, whichever interpretation one may choose, it's still quite a powerful and visceral song.

"Past Lives" (5/5) - This is the last bonus song on the album, and quite possibly the best love song Kesha's ever written. I like the use of reincarnation as a theme since it's a unique take on a love song, and besides that, the song just sounds so sweet and romantic. Plus, points to Kesha for having a line where she imagines a past life where she's a man in a polygynous tribe ("maybe you were one of my wives in a long lost tribe").

Overall Score (5/5): NOTE this score is not a mathematical average of previous scores; it's my subjective overall score. While I enjoyed this release, I recognize how it might alienate her previous fans. A lot of the autotune-heavy, electronic sound that was apparent in previous songs like "Tik Tok" and "Take It Off" is conspicuously toned down for this album, and fans of that previous sound might be disappointed in this release. There are also a larger number of more somber, serious songs on this album, and those who wanted more of the light-hearted stuff from her earlier efforts are also going to be turned off by this album (it's as though thematically, she has shifted from mindless partying songs to songs that reflect the more mature idea of living in the moment, and the occasional bittersweet feelings of losing those times). I still enjoyed it regardless. If you're not sure, then give it a listen before buying to see if it's up you alley. If you do decide to get it, I strongly recommend picking up the Deluxe version because all four included bonus songs are top-notch in quality, and definitely worth having.
Kesha is a pop artist that you either (1) love or (2) love to hate given her shocking crudeness and overt, unapologetic approach. Sure it is for shock value and sales, but it is a divisive as Kesha's huge personality. 2010 debut Animal was lifted by no. 1 hit "Tik Tok," characterized by it's memorable line "Wake up in the morning feeling like P. Diddy." The album itself was average, drug down by too much of the same vein of techno-infused dance-pop. Those who partook of her Cannibal EP saw more 'range' of abilities of Kesha and ultimately better songs the likes of "We R Who We R," "Blow" and personal trashy favorite, "Sleazy." 2012's Warrior balances Kesha essentially, allowing her to rein in herself as well as be herself. Sometimes she chooses to be more traditional while at others she just lets it 'all hang out.' Warrior ends up being a solid pop album, surprisingly. There are no outright misses and the bright spots shine, well brightly. And more impressive, there are times where Kesha shows she can transcend gimmicky vocal processing ("Wonderland")... shocker right?

"Warrior" opens the album featuring solid production work from Dr. Luke & Cirkut. As expected, Kesha balances rapping and singing, doing both satisfactorily. "Warrior" isn't too shabby - albeit gimmicky and somewhat clunky, though it does ultimately feels as if it is missing something. The chorus keeps things together: "We were born to break the doors down, fighting till the end/it's something that's inside of us, it's how we've always been/warrior, warrior..."

"Die Young" easily waves off skepticism, giving Kesha a solid pop moment that eschews her profaner nature for the most part. Half-rapped and half-sung verses are intact, crowned by a jubilant chorus: "I hear your heart beat to the beat of the drums, oh what a shame that you came here with someone..." Analogous to "Tik Tok" in breadth, "Die Young" is unsurprisingly a smash. "C'mon" is arguably better, keeping a similar pop-rap format and hitting hard on a gargantuan chorus. Catchy and feisty ("I don't wanna go to sleep, I wanna stay up all night..."), Kesha's youthful rebelliousness bodes well on "C'mon."

"Thinking Of You" is solid, if archetypical - particularly Dr. Luke/Benny Blanco/Cirkut's harmonic scheme. Regardless, the groove is addictive. On "Crazy Kids," Kesha talks more overt, profane trash. While this is how the pop star has come to be characterized, it may be her less vulgar moments that bode best on Warrior. "Wherever You Are" atones for any improprieties, sporting an 80s sensibility reminiscent of new wave. The songwriting structure is solid, sporting verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus format. Pleasant and commercial, Kesha shines sans profanity.

But Kesha is a balancing act herself, so a little grime with the help of Iggy Pop on "Dirty Love" doesn't hurt. The tempo is quick and Kesha is at her most manic ("Oh whoa, I just want your dirty love...all I need is to get in between your sheets..."). Iggy Pop gets in on the action on the second verse, fitting right in "Cockroaches do it in garbage cans, rug merchants do it in Afghanistan..." Risqué, "Dirty Love" is a fascinating listen.

"Wonderland" contrasts "Dirty Love" by slowing down the tempo and giving Kesha a mid-tempo cut. Kesha sounds incredibly smooth, an adjective you wouldn't normally associate with the 'rough-and-tumble' pop star. She deviates from it on another solid cut, the quick-paced "Only Wanna Dance With You," showing some punk-pop sensibility on the whiny chorus. The trio of "Dirty Love," "Wonderland," and "Only Wanna Dance WIth You" contrasts and shows different facets of Kesha.

"Supernatural" seems more standard Kesha fare, not unlike 10's Animal. Dr. Luke/Cirkut pound the drums and electronic sounds while Kesha is on 'autopilot': "Baby when we're touching in the dark can you feel it? I can hear the pounding of my heart can you feel it?" On penultimate cut "All That Matters (The Beautiful Life)," Kesha is supported by the dark, driving synths cultivated by Max Martin and Shellback. Catchy, archetypical, and solid, "All That Matters" does find Kesha issuing pointless cussing that seems more 'shock value' than notable. Closing cut "Love Into The Light" finds Greg Kurstin producing and Kesha again opting for the more serious. The results are half-serious ultimately, as it is hard to take the oft nonchalant pop star seriously: "I know I'm not perfect, I know I got issues/I know that I've got a sorted past/and yes some bad tattoos."

Overall, as shocking as it is, Warrior gets the job done for Kesha. It's not the year's best pop album necessarily (Pink and Fun. certainly delivered triumphs), but it delivers plenty of solid and catchy pop. "Die Young" is one of the brightest moments, but it is not the sole triumph by any means. Kesha will never be for everybody, but she easily appeals to a pop audience who enjoy their 'pop rap,' however much the lyrics are utterly ludicrous. 3 ½ Stars.
on September 17, 2014
I mean, it's Kesha, so you shouldn't be surprised that it sounds like... well, pop music! I venture to say that if you don't like Kesha or her music, then you won't care what I say anyways, but I really like this album! I enjoy how dynamic this album is in feel, going from an energetic 'all-out for a good time' kind of excitement to grounded, self-reflecting slower moments, this album is a soundtrack for the experiences of young adulthood, with it's late nights, mistakes, and good times. I highly recommend this album to anyone who's enjoyed Kesha's precious work, or raw, youthful pop music in general.
2012 proved to be for pop music a ladies' affair: There was the re-vamped femme fatale who seduced every haunted human soul (Lana Del Rey-"Born to die"). The latina diva who waved a bouncey first-chapter-career-retrospective farewell (J.Lo-"Dance again: The hits"). The street chic who went officially bad with no remorse (Rihanna-"Unapologetic"). The Queen of Bitches who got painfully de-throned by that remorseless chick (Madonna-"MDNA"). The Aussie miniature with the gigantic teeth who crossed a different street (Kylie-"The Abbey Road sessions"). The nutty rock gal who got to learn her lesson well (P!ink-"The truth about love"). The cooky siren who became human (Tori Amos-"Gold dust"). The bionic princess who found her way back to fame ...and, also, the fridge (Christina Aguilera-"Lotus"). The groovy bohemian who got her urban/hip-hop spirit crashed (Nelly Furtado-"The spirit indestructable"). The British Mariah-wannabe who started breaking beats apart from glasses (Leona Lewis-"Glassheart"). The Swede ESC euphoric winner, whose epic debut album proved the strongest medicine (Loreen-"Heal"). The perky Snow White lookalike who got perkier (Katy Perry-"Teenage Dream: The complete confection"). The Canadian chaunteuse who warbled like mad honoring her french roots (Celine Dion-"Sans attendre"). And the uninvited pop-rocker who remained a pop-rocker (Alanis Morissette-"Havoc and bright lights"). Let's not forget Adele's 2011 "21" album that reached 24m sales that year.

To complete the year's list of female releases, party-bimbo Ke$ha delivered her sophomore proper album. Predecessors "Animal" and "Cannibal" EP were a hybrid of party anthems, dancey riffs, cheeky lyrics and trashy attitude. Accompanied by clever videos, they produced massive hits, making Ke$ha a true sensation, an almost iconic figure among teenagers. It was only inevitable that every successful ingredient employed the first time, would be put to greater effect this third time around, too. 12 songs (16 on the deluxe edition) varying from dance electro-pop to indie hippy-chic, setting the mood by the title, and leaving a euphoric feeling by the end of listening, mission complete, simple as that. Even the use of Ke$ha's trademark, the auto-tuned vocals, works in her favour on this, probably because it is used more discreetly. Also, on quite a few of the songs the sound is more stripped down, allowing Ke$ha's voice to come through, and it sounds not bad at all. Make sure you listen to tracks 10-12m they are Ke$h-ential! To her credit, she co-writes the majority of the material, she has got the skills evidently. I actually came to appreciate her, she is much more than just the obvious glitter freak. Fun should be mandatory, so, release your inhabitions, get your "Warrior" and start the party-fight!
on March 5, 2014
It took me a little over a year to buy this CLEAN-Deluxe Edition CD, by Ke$ha. I finally bought it from Amazon on February 27, 2014 & I rec'd it on March 3, 2014. I would like to offer my opinions of her LATEST release, as follows:

1. "Warrior"...This IS the TITLE track & it's my LEAST favorite on this CD. The only part of the song, that I DO like is the "WARRIOR" chorus.

2. "Die Young"...The very FIRST hit single, from this album, which debuted in mid October 2012, on the TOP 40 Countdown. This song is pretty good & I do like it.

3. "C'Mon"...This is the SECOND hit single, from this album, which debuted in January 2013, on the TOP 40 Countdown. This song is VERY good & I like it a little better than "Die Young". As of March 2013, THIS song was in the TOP 10, on the Top 40 Countdown.

4. "Thinking Of You"...This song is pretty good & I like it.

5. "Crazy Kids"...This is the THIRD hit from this album, which I remember, somewhat, from Summer of 2013. This song is a little more haunting & it's pretty good. I esp. like the "We Are, We Are" chorus & the whistling parts on this song.

6. "Wherever You Are"...I like this song, it's pretty good.

7. "Dirty Love"...This song feat. Iggy Pop & it's pretty good.

8. "Wonderland"...This song has a much slower beat & it sounds rather countryesque. I LOVE this song, very much, which deals a lot w/ looking back in time.

9. "Only Wanna Dance With You"...This song is good. There IS a male vocalist w/ Ke$ha on this song & I wonder if it's Iggy Pop again...though the CD liner notes DON'T mention WHO it is!!

10. "Supernatural"...I like this song very much. I think that it's very good.

11. "All That Matters (The Beautiful Life)"...I like this song a lot w/ it's positive & fun lyrics.

12. "Love Into The Light"...Though this song is a lot slower, I really think it's EXCELLENT. It's very haunting & atmospheric & it could remind me of a SLOW TRANCE song. I love this song very very much.

Deluxe Edition Tracks

13. "Last Goodbye"...By reading THIS song title, I had thought that it would be a tear jerker parting type of song, but actually it's not. It deals w/ memories of a past love. I like this song quite well.

14. "Gold Trans Am"...Drumbeat wise, this song could remind me of the Katy Perry/Kanye West 2011 hit single "E.T.". The song also reminds me of Ke$ha's OWN 2010 brief hit "Sleazy", somewhat. It could even remind me of some of Kiss' music, esp., from their 1982 album called "Creatures Of The Night". I like this song.

15. "Out Alive"...I really LOVE this song, it's just plain EXCELLENT, in my opinion. It definitely has a DANCE CLUB feel to it. I'm rather surprised that this song DIDN'T appear on the American Top 40 Countdown, as it does, or DID, have that HIT Song potential.

16. "Past Lives"...The male background vocalist feat. here is Wayne Coyne. I love this song a lot, too. It's quite interesting to listen to. I'm actually surprised that this ISN'T called "Time after Time", BECAUSE it is mentioned A LOT more than the TITLE of "Past Lives" is.

With the exception of "CMon" & "Out Alive" being my TOP favorite CATCHY songs, I also LOVE her SLOWER songs, such as "Wonderland", "Love Into The Light" & "Past Lives", just as much. This 2012 album CD, by Ke$ha, is most definitely recommended. I've already listened to THIS album quite a lot, so far!!
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse