5.0 out of 5 stars Dr. Bohdi did it again......., November 6, 2009
This review is from: Warrior Wisdom: The Warrior's Path (Paperback)
Warrior Wisdom: The Warrior's Path, is a very good book for those who want to know the mind of a warrior. It is not just the skills but the will of the warrior such as in #82 Its not just the skill to win, but the will to win - Alain Burrese. Do you know what that really means? What if I said, "It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the fight in the dog".

The series is meant to be thought provoking, gut check time for anyone that think they know what it takes to be a warrior. How about this, #91 "However the troubled times, men of imperturbable perception never commit shameful or sordid deeds" - Tiruballuvar. Think about it. These and many more are just examples of the sayings you will get to ponder while reading this book.

One reviewer said this would be a good book to read with your family and discuss the subject. I agree and let's take it a step further. Why don't some of our Martial Arts instructors use this information in there classes. A great way to teach students the mental attitudes of a Warrior. A way to teach them not only to be just fighters but to add something back to society and thier communities.

I have read the complete seris of three books plus Wisdom of the Elders and Fireside Meditations by Dr. Bohdi Sanders, PhD. and I don't know how he does it. These books are worth reading. These are the things our early ancesters thought about while training thier bodies. They did not forget thier mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Please, sir! May I have some more wisdom? 3rd helping has come!, November 28, 2009
This review is from: Warrior Wisdom: The Warrior's Path (Paperback)
People today have rejected a lot of things, among which religion. This has left people empty and too many people are living their lives with no Wisdom, with no honorable code.

I have to say that these books are giving people the opportunity to focus and meditate on something that is bigger than themselves, something that allows them to connect to a larger self. As a Catholic priest, I believe that philosophy is not enough but I also believe that it's better than nothing. Everyday I meet people who have rejected Christianity for a reason or another. Almost all of them have a huge hole in their hearts. This is something very useful. Hopefully, the first step towards something ... someone greater.

I welcomed the new Wisdom book with joy. I truly like reading and meditating on these quotes and reflection that Mr Bonders gives us. They are helping me to enlarge my mind and welcome wisdom that comes in so many shapes and form.

164 new steps to take to become a wiser person. Approach this book with caution, though. While reading it may be amusing, if one of these quotes touches your soul... your life may change.

5.0 out of 5 stars A little illumination on the path, March 11, 2010
This review is from: Warrior Wisdom: The Warrior's Path (Paperback)
I am a big fan of Dr. Sanders' work. I couldn't wait to get this new edition of Warrior Wisdom. I am happy to say it did not disappoint. It is much more polished and thorough than the previous entries in the series. Reading all three back to back is like watching Dr. Sanders grow and learn and even be influenced by the very wisdom he is sharing. I can only hope that the books similarly affect all who encounter it. I am an educator and I frequently consult the book for inspiration to get through the day and more often than not find ideas to share with my students that very day. Many of his reflections end up on the walls of my class or in presentations. Students today are in such dire need of any sort of guidance for navigating their world that I can't pass up the chance to share some Warrior Wisdom with them any chance I get. It has helped me and I am certain it helps a few of them. I thank Dr. Sanders for compiling, refecting on and sharing the Warrior Wisdom and inspiring myself and others as we each progress down our own paths.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another thinker, December 9, 2009
This review is from: Warrior Wisdom: The Warrior's Path (Paperback)
While I often try to empty my mind, Mr. Sanders has now provided me with three books that have been very thought provoking. I have all three of the Warrior Wisdom books and have contemplated many of the segments in all three of these books. It is nice to have the short page reflections to ponder each day. As with all of his books, I do not think it would be valuable to rush through. If you do, as I did, you may have to read the book (or passage) a second time. There is a lot of great information that will take time to fully understand and retain. This is a great book if you just want a short passage to reflect upon at the beginning of your day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent book from Bohdi Sanders, March 18, 2010
This review is from: Warrior Wisdom: The Warrior's Path (Paperback)
I love this series so much that I happily agreed to write the Foreword.

It's rare to find a book so rich and thought provoking that you can read it again and again and get something a little different out of it each time. We're not the same person we were a year ago, a month ago, nor even a week ago. Zen practioners say we aren't the same person we were yesterday. Therefore, everytime you read this book - either cover to cover or simply thumb through it - the quotations and the author's comments mean something a little different to you. Indeed, there isn't a quotation and discussion in here that doesn't pertain to each of us, no matter if we're martial artists, physicians, truck drivers, or boat captains. After all, we're all on life's journey together.

I highly recommend Warrior Wisdom: The Warrior's Path as well as all the books in this series.

Loren W. Christensen, coauthor of On Combat, Warrior Mindset and several others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fantastic book, October 30, 2009
Dennis W. Okeefe (Howell, New Jersey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Warrior Wisdom: The Warrior's Path (Paperback)
I have read all three books in the Warrior Wisdom series. I love these books. I find that these three books are a perfect way for me to re- read and keep the values in these books fresh in my mind. I instruct self defense at work for both Officers and a womens self defense class and I recommend these books at every class that I teach. Mr Sanders often refers to Forrest Morgan's " Living the Martial Way " and I rate this series right up there with Mr Morgans book as some of the best books I have ever read. I just recieved Mr Sanders " Wisdom of the Elders and I am anxious to read that and can only hope it is near as good as the Warrior series.

Mr Sanders finds a perfect balance of stating the ancient wisdom and then explaining what it means to him and how we can find it useful in todays society. Whether a member of the Military, Law Enforcement or a student of the Martial Arts Mr Sanders touches each and every one of you with the wisdom in these books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not What I Expected!, September 12, 2009
This review is from: Warrior Wisdom: The Warrior's Path (Paperback)
I was leery when I first started reading this book. I was expecting something advocating violence.
Instead, I read about honor, about keeping promises, about thinking, about developing good habits.

This would be a great book for family discussions around the dinner table.
Read a page and then, discuss it.
Thought provoking. What is right and wrong for you, for your children? Why?

This is a book about wise warriors. It is also a book about how to live a great and good life with attitudes that will carry one through all the trials and tribulations of living.

Above average. Given 4 stars only because I think the book is slightly overpriced. $14.95 would be a better price point for me. At any price, this book is worth having, especially if used for family discussions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Just For Martial Artists; We Should All Review These Gems, January 18, 2010
This review is from: Warrior Wisdom: The Warrior's Path (Paperback)
Dr. Bohdi Sanders has rendered society a great service with Warrior Wisdom III. He has collected, preserved, explained and shared timeless wisdom with the next generation. The primary duty and privilege of the elders of any culture is to educate and prepare the next generation of citizens and warriors. Warrior Wisdom III does this.

Warriors exist so that citizens may exist, however do not be misled by the title. Warrior Wisdom III applies to each of us. The truths that Bohdi has captured are a timeless snapshot of the cherished warrior creed that we must wholly embrace to survive and prosper in our time. Our children desperately need this wisdom and these lessons so that they are enlightened and strengthened for their roles as our future leaders. Without it their education is incomplete.

In an age where murky relativism obscures clarity of vision and action, Warrior Wisdom III, pierces the fog with a clear framework of definitive and actionable principles. These are the principles of honor, courage, service and compassion that have guided and defined the most honored intellects in human history. Warrior Wisdom III skillfully integrates the collective wisdom of Buddha, Confucius, Jesus, Seneca, Churchill, Aesop, Sun Tzu, Ghandi, Lao Tzu, Thomas Paine, George Washington and countless other greats. Dr. Sanders has assembled this treasure trove of ageless wisdom to provide us with a moral compass for conscience, conduct and purpose that we can easily apply to our daily life. Read it. Internalize it. Live it.

Kevin Brett
CEO, Kevin Brett Studios, Inc.
Author: "The Way of the Martial Artist: Achieving Success in Martial Arts and in Life!"

The Way Of The Martial Artist: Achieving Success In Martial Arts And In Life!

5.0 out of 5 stars to seek perfection of character, January 3, 2010
This review is from: Warrior Wisdom: The Warrior's Path (Paperback)
Back in the early eighties there was a statistic floating around that said out of 50,000 people who began karate training only one earned a black belt. Lured by misconceptions that resulted from movies like "The Karate KId," or "Enter The Dragon," the novelty quickly wore off as the realization set in that you can't, unless you're exceptional, become skilled enough to beat a black belt with an attitude in six months. Even those who "stuck it out" for that long still didn't get the gist of the art and drifted away in the face of the effort and focus required to become a true karateka. Even many who got a black belt did so while pursuing dubious goals.
The physical aspects of karate are, to a point, easy to understand. Unfortunately, for many who become reasonably skilled that is the end all of their training. Winning trophies for kumite and kata at tournaments becomes the ultimate measure of success.
So, just what is it that they are missing? Gichin Funakoshi, generally accepted as the "Father of Modern Karate," set, as the ultimate goal of the art, "the perfection of character." In his book, "Karate-do: My Way of Life," Master Funakoshi wrote that he only had two fights (outside of training) in his life and regretted them both. If you end up in a fight, he wrote, you've failed. In my dojo, and in Shotokan dojos around the world, you will (or should) find, conspicuously posted on one of the walls, the Dojo Kun, a set of five precepts he urged all his students to live by. Karate, for him, was indeed a way of life. They are: to seek perfection of character; to always be faithful; to endeavor to excel; to always respect others; to refrain from violent behavior. Karate, Master Funakoshi taught, is 10 percent physical and 90 percent mental. True students take that seriously and "endeavor" to be the best person they can be.
As I said, the physical part is straight forward. You make a commitment and train faithfully. As for the other 90 percent, well, a great deal more is necessary. Introspection is, in its way, much more difficult than doing heian shodan a thousand times, and requires an even more rigorous dedication. The good news is reinventing the wheel is not necessary. Enter Bohdi Sanders and his "Warrior Wisdom" trilogy.
Sensei Sanders has laboriously compiled a treasure trove of wisdom that crosses many centuries, and many cultures. His goal is to share this wisdom with us so that our journey, if we choose to take it, will be illuminated by his years of research and practice. As he says: "Bushido, the way of the warrior, is not meant to be self-serving, it is meant to be of service for a higher purpose."
With that in mind, he takes us on an odyssey that includes visits with some of the most cogent thinkers of this, or any time. One of those, Bayard Taylor, is quoted in Volume 1, and sums up the value of Sensei Sanders's work: "Opportunity is rare and a wise man will never let it go by him." Passing these volumes by would, indeed, be an opportunity lost.
They are not simply a compilation of quotes. Sensei shares his thoughts on each, but, in no way implies that we should fall into lock step behind him. He offers a starting point and, like all good teachers, expects that we'll find our own way. These books aren't sit down reads from cover to cover. They, like karate-do, are a life long endeavor. One page a day, for instance, read and considered, then on to the next. Read, think, repeat. Used properly, you might have to replace them every three or four years unless you're handy with Scotch Tape.
Sensei has made us an offer we can refuse, but we do so at our own personal risk. Buy all three and wear them out, even if you have no intention of ever stepping into a dojo. We all should seek perfection of character and make the world a better place, one person at a time. (Also, watch for Bohdi's latest book, "Life Lessons: Politically Incorrect Wisdom," due out later this month.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Three is Not Enough, September 22, 2010
CDJM (Arvada, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Warrior Wisdom: The Warrior's Path (Paperback)
Dr. Sanders continues to deliver with this latest installment in the Warrior Wisdom series & I hope it's not his last. As with the first 2 volumes, this Warrior Wisdom installment is chalked full of ageless advice & quotations to inspire reflection & help define the true spirit of a life warrior. Given the complexities & distractions we all deal with everyday, this advice is especially needed & applicable to anyone, regardless of gender or interest in martial arts. It's just a great book.

Warrior Wisdom: The Warrior's Path
Warrior Wisdom: The Warrior's Path by Bohdi Sanders (Paperback - August 10, 2009)
Used & New from: $93.59