5.0 out of 5 stars Sexy and Clever
Lovely damsel in distress, check. Hot mercenary knight, check. Greedy loser embezzler neighbor, check. Manipulative horndog king, check. Contained within the pages of this story is all that one could want in a medieval romance, and oh so much more.

Published on April 9, 2012 by kimrnee

2.0 out of 5 stars I TRIED to like it!
I hate leaving negative reviews, and rarely do unless I really disliked a book. And I'm sorry to say this is one I disliked. I will try to keep it simple and not overly harsh. I hate when some reviwers are outright nasty.
Published 21 months ago by Liloshadow

5.0 out of 5 stars Sexy and Clever, April 9, 2012
This review is from: The Warrior's Game (The Warrior Series Book 3) (Kindle Edition)

The heat between the Lady Amicia de la Beres and upstart commoner knight Michel de Martigny rises to a fever pitch even before the first touch, before the first kiss. The seduction scenes in Denise Domning's The Warrior's Game are some of the best I've read in a long long time. And when they actually do touch? Let's just say my Kindle practically melted down. Can you say intense?

But there is more to this tome besides a steamy love story. The clever plot twists and turns also make for an engrossing and entertaining endeavor. And, besides her top notch writing skills, one of the many things I admire most about Ms. Domning's medieval romances is she unapologetically represents the times as they were, refusing to cave to any kind of PC pressure. I can't speak for the author's views of course, I can only tell you what I get from her writing. Yes, women were chattel, often used as pawns and hostages for their doweries and lands. Yes, men were dominant, strong, and often overbearing towards the women they protected and controlled. This after all, is the middle ages, not the early 21st century. I think the reason many women are drawn to these times is, in fact, because of the strength and dominance of the men. I know it's one reason I love them.

And even though Ami is a pawn torn between three men, she IS strong in her own right, able to survive the political machinations of King John's court, and finally to thrive through sheer wit and intelligence. Michel, though a product of his time, has a gentleness and humor that belies his hard warrior shell. Both Ami and Michel are hard headed and stubborn as well, causing some of their own discomfort. You can see how it could be love/hate and then finally just love at first sight between these two.

If you want a sexy, engaging read that takes you back in time, I can't recommend The Warrior's Game enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Addictive!, April 16, 2012
simona b (Italy, Europe) - See all my reviews
"The Warrior's Game" is a stand-alone book, the third in the series of "The Warrior"by Denise Domning.
Just like the other books from this author, is a well written romance, with the classic damsel in distress, a handsome rogue, a wicked neighbor and all the necessary ingredients to satisfy her fans, set at the court of King John of England.
What makes Mrs Domning book completely different from other historical romance ones is the depth of her accuracy in painting the period in which she sets her books. Even the smaller details are exactly as they should: her books, while being entertaining, aren't botched Cinderella tales, ever.
Her heroine is a strong, willful woman, but as a widow, and as a King's ward, she has no rights to choose an administrator for her lands nor to choose herself a husband. She's wealthy, but she can't touch her wealth, and she sleeps on a pallet in a room with the other less noble king's wards. Her only private space is her chest...to have a good, truthful portrait of a woman at court make yourself a gift and give a try to this book.
But be careful: Mrs Domning is addictive!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating Book, November 12, 2012
Rocky (California) - See all my reviews
The Warrior's Game is one of Denise Domning's three-book Warrior series. This is the second series of medieval romances by Denise Domning. Unlike The Seasons, her first series, these books do not have to be read in any particular order.

History and Romance are my favorite topics. So I really enjoy Historical Romance! "Historical romances", however, rarely contain much history. The main characters are usually 21st century people in old time houses and clothes. This is particularly true of romances, which take place in the Middle Ages. When I read them, I enjoy the romance and hate the history.

Unlike most novels set in the Middle Ages, Ms. Domning's characters are true to their time period. They think and act like people living at the time in which they live. In addition, the her books are replete with Medieval detail.

The plot of each of Ms. Domning's books revolves around problematic aspects of medieval culture. Being romances, the main characters end up happy and in love. But the aspects of medieval culture she examines probably resulted in many unhappy endings.

In The Warrior's Game Ms. Domning portrays minor noble women residing at King John's court and contrasts their living conditions with those of rich commoners. The social issues she tackles are the right of English kings to select a husband for "orphaned" noble widows and relations between minor nobility and wealthy, successful commoners.

Those who have read about this period know that single noble women were often required to live at King John's court. I had always imagined that they lived in luxurious, comfortable rooms. This book disabused me. The nobility left records. This enables Ms. Domning to create a vivid, detailed picture of the court. Physical conditions seem worse than today's most primitive hurricane shelter! In addition, the court was a political hotbed. Finally, informal, customary rules practically strangled the residents. They dominated almost every move. I thought this was fascinating.

King John selected mates for "orphan" women - aristocratic women who did not have a responsible male (father, brother, adult son). For him, this was a moneymaker. Highborn women, who came with land and money, were desirable. Men were willing to pay John a lot to obtain such a match. Giving a man such a woman was also a much-appreciated reward by people who had given John service - in this book an outstanding, commoner knight, who owned no property. As those who know about John realize, he often sampled the goods and also lead the prospective husbands on a merry chase!

Domning also contrasts the way the aristocracy lived at court with the lifestyle of wealthy merchants. To my surprise, she shows that these commoners were living a lot better than the highborn!

Finally Domning depicts the attitudes of minor aristocrats towards successful commoners. To put it succinctly, they did not believe that all men were created equal.

As in The Warrior's Wife, this story ends in a chase. In my review of The Warrior's Wife, I criticized this. In this book, a chase made sense. The whole plot revolved around a competitive chase. I did, however, have a minor problem with the physical chase. It occurs during a snowstorm. Without LL Bean clothes, I worried that they would all die of frostbite. I needn't have worried. They were all cold but fine! Perhaps having survived the horrors of Medieval childbirth and the many lethal childhood diseases, Medieval adults had tougher bodies than we do!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, April 11, 2012
Jackie Ellis (Warkworth, Rodney District, NZ) - See all my reviews
Another winner by this wonderful author! I have read everything she has on Kindle! I stumbled across Denise Domning only a few short weeks ago on Kindle and have since read everything! Now, this coming from someone who doesn't really like the romance genre - particularly historical romance!! But I'm now a convert, thanks to this author!

I have to say, I've fallen in love with every single one of her Knights and leading men! I fear I am ruined for any other man lol.

If you enjoy an accurate historical element to your books, dashing heros, feisty heroines.. then this is the author for you. And this Book definitely didn't disappoint! I can't do better than the product description, so I'll just say I'm sure you will love Michel and Amicia as I did.

2.0 out of 5 stars I TRIED to like it!, March 28, 2013
I found it mostly unable to keep my attention and skimmed A LOT of the book. The heroine I thought was kind of a snob, and I never really liked her. The hero was okay, I felt bad for him mostly. They hated each other for most of the story which isn't that odd in romance novel, but then all of sudden BAM they are in love. It just seemed unrealistic and forced like it needed to happen because the story was almost over. They barely ever talked, unless it was between bouts of kissing and hissing. ;)
I can see why some people would like it. It was pretty well written, and historically accurate. But Im one those people that would rather be entertained and feel something emotionally then have something historically accurate. It would be nice for once to see a king that didn't abuse his power and his people. I love medieval romance but most of the king's in them are lusty bastards. lol

I would recommend this book if you like a well written story with more history and intrigue than romance. If you are all about the romance I wouldn't suggest this book. I will try another story by this author just because I hate to judge an author by just one of their books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Liked it!, January 29, 2013
Book lover (Athens, Greece) - See all my reviews
Lady Amicia de la Beres is a young widow and as such a ward of King John, which means that the King has entrusted the management of her estate and assets to a man of his trust. Meanwhile Lady Amicia is living with other female wards at the King's castle, until he decides another fate for her. However, one of his trusted mercenary, the French commoner knight Michel de Martigny has accepted King John's promise that he can chose a woman of his liking between his noble-born wards. After investigating the potential brides, Michel choses Amicia but will she accept to be wife of a commoner and will King John keep his promise? And what about the noble born neighbor of Amicia's estate who has offered to marry her?

Michel's reasoning to choose Amicia as his wife were comprehensible, especially when taking the time frame into consideration. Some of his rather harsh reactions towards Amicia were understandable, since the nobles at court treated him more than once badly because of his origin, neglecting completely his achievements. However, it was more difficult for me to "love" Amicia and fully comprehend her reactions. Many times I thought that she was slightly egoistic and self-centered. Finally I fully accepted her ways, especially towards the end of the book when she was reduced to being a pawn in everybody's game. However, she overcame her anger and matured into a wonderful woman who knew what she wanted from life.

A well written and solid read that offered many hours of pleasure. The plot unfolded gradually and depicted the bleak existence of women living in the Middle Ages perfectly. The love scenes were hot, without being distasteful.

I very much appreciated the author's note that offered information concerning King John and were fiction/fact was concerned. Well done!

3.0 out of 5 stars SO glad I don't live in this time period!, July 5, 2013
*May contain spoilers*

I wouldn't live in the Medieval ages for all the money in the world. Why? Because as a woman I wouldn't be allowed to keep it! For all the crap women still have to put up with today, at least we're able to make our own money, buy our own homes and tell a guy to go F himself if we want. I'm so not one of those "damsel in distress" types. I'll stay in 2013 thank you.

Here's why (and here also is why "chivalry" was actually crap):

Synopsis: When Amica's beloved husband dies, she becomes a ward of the king and her money/properties are given to a a male trustee. In the king's custody she will remain until she is married to someone else who then will gain her funds. Her current trustee wants her as his wife, for that obvious reason, but there is also a commoner-turned-knight, Sir Michel who wants her for the same reason: her dowry (any guy who has the nerve to call women gold diggers needs to look up this word 'dowry'!).

Sir Michel sets out after Ami who counters him by reminding him she is higher ranking and though she may be a woman, she isn't going gently into anyone's bed and she certainly isn't keeping her opinions to herself. There is betrayal of a high ranking woman (hey we weren't allowed to do anything back then, so we had to entertain ourselves somehow), a game/wild goose chase set forth to the trustee, Amica and Michel by the king, sword fighting, some misunderstandings between Michel and Amica, blood and a good name and reputation to protect. (Note, it's only rape if you're not married and the offender is only punished if he is a lower social rank than the female. A suitable "punishment" would be to marry his victim. Oh super...*Eyeroll* Seriously, If I wanted to read this kind of garbage I'd read the bible).

As the book progresses, Michel and Amica eventually do fall in love and choose one another, but Michel does remember the king's statement "being married to Amica will be like riding a wild stallion". Michel's thought goes to "the most wild of horses make the tamest in the end". Great, so he loves her but over time she'll be tame. Yeah, that's not love jackass. I guess for that time period it's a happy ending. I mean Ami and Michel do love each other, and Michel does admit it's more than her properties he ends up wanting. Her was but one of her choices, and she does choose him. Amica's as strong as any woman could be in this time period.

Domning is actually a very good writer. I can't blame her for writing how it actually was back then. She's very descriptive and a very good researcher of the time period. As angry as I was at the male characters, I did want to keep reading to find out what would happen next. I wish there was a little bit more to the ending, but it's satisfactory enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Denise Domning, not much more I can say, February 1, 2013
S. L. R "Camera Nut" (Paradise, California) - See all my reviews
I have read most of the Historical Romance by Denise. It seems like I fall in love a little more with each book I read of hers. I did not fully finish each book before I was looking for the next one from her so I can start it as soon as I put the current one down. I love the way she handles each charactor whether they are the hero, heroine or villian. I find myself putting myself back in the time period and going though the scene with them. Wonderful books.

1.0 out of 5 stars where's the story?, February 10, 2013
This novel was a total disappointment. First of all, I didn't like the writing's style, and then I didn't like the story, or better the lack of any plot. The two main characters meet and they immediately hate each other. Then they don't manage to have a civil conversation, they only have some lusty encounters which originate from nothing else than basic needs. Suddenly, toward the end of the romance they discover (in a bunch of hours) some nice aspects of the other, they totally change their opinions and come to mutual everlasting love. No, I didn't like the book at all, a waste of money and time.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Warrior's Game, March 11, 2013
Love this second book or actually third book of series, she is indeed a great story teller. I have loved all her books to date and those still unread or on my wish list or already waiting in the library to read. She portrays her characters as if you could actually see them and wish you were there to participate in the story. I look forward to whatever else she has a mind to write and find she is extremely talented with the written word. I wish I could be as good an author or even an author at that. Enjoy the story and then go back and follow in all her other adventures.