5.0 out of 5 stars Very well written and informative - hard to put down
I got this book because my son has recently been assigned to train in an A-10. I was very impressed with Mr. Smallwood's writing style. He manages to convey the excitement, danger, and novelty of the A-10's mission and the immense dedication of the brave and courageous pilots who flew in the Gulf War. I learned much of the "lingo" used by the "Hog...
Published on March 18, 1999 by SD TX

2.0 out of 5 stars Not really about flying...
Although very well documented, it really is not about flying the A-10 but more about the business of deploying and using an airwing in a combat scenario. If you want to know what it's like to manage squadrons of attack aircraft that get shot at every day, this is a very good read. If you are like me, interested in the nitty gritty details of fliping switches and pulling...
Published on December 4, 2010 by LT

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, October 5, 2002
This review is from: Warthog (P) (Paperback)
This is a very entertaining and informative book. It tells the many interesting stories about the awesome plane, the A-10. I would recommend this book to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars You will actually feel as if you had actually been there and done that!, July 31, 2009
This book takes you right in combat with the A-10 pilots in the Gulf War. The author takes advantage of the hundreds of interviews he made for this book to discuss interesting incidents not only from the point of view of the pilot flying but also from his wingman and other pilots in the area.
This book is about real people going to war and facing not only the enemy but themselves and their own fears.
Highly recomended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read for military aviation folks, November 18, 2011
This book is absolutely awesome. It really is well researched and deep. It really brings out emotion. I think you should reference the glossary a lot if you don't fly in the military. I am a KC-135 driver, so I naturally knew the language being spoken. The author paints a beautiful picture of the A-10 in Desert Storm.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, March 31, 2011
This review is from: Warthog (P) (Kindle Edition)
I spent 6 years in the AIr National Guard working on these planes. I even got to travel to Kuwait a couple times. Regardless of my familiarity with the plane, I found the book to be very enjoyable. I tend to look for books that are true stories and this one fits that category. The author does a good job explaining what it is like to deploy to a battle area without really knowing what is going to happen. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good aviation book.

4.0 out of 5 stars title of this book says it all, April 2, 1997
By A Customer
This review is from: Warthog (P) (Paperback)
Interesting tales about a stick and rudder combat flying machine and it's pilots. Much like WW 2 flying. This effective, double rugged machine didn't even have an auto-pilot! Akin to the plane itself, the book is a little
slow in the beginning but really takes off in the second half. --------- J.J. Theisen

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, July 5, 2009
I'm a new A-10 pilot, and this book was an outstanding look at the history of the Hog during the war in which it proved itself.

Very well written and accurate.

5.0 out of 5 stars A-10, February 12, 2014
I really enjoy reading this book it does really well putting you in the cockpit with the pilots like when they had to cross the pond in that thunder storm and them not knowing when they landed if they were going to get over run by the Iraqi army

4.0 out of 5 stars Very in depth and really educated me about the A-10 and it's pilots, July 11, 2011
This review is from: Warthog (P) (Kindle Edition)
This was a good book. It was very well researched. I learned a lot about the A-10, the pilots who flew it, and the tactics. It also gives a good back story of the 1st gulf war. The book started with information about the development of the aircraft and then goes into the buildup to the war. The book is a little slow at 1st, but really gets going once it gets into the actual events of the war. The only reason I am not giving it 5 stars is that sometimes there was so much detail that it was easy to get lost. Otherwise it's a great book that I enjoyed reading. I think it classifies as one of those books that I had a hard time putting down!

5.0 out of 5 stars Is it a towed decoy, a pod, a UAV...?, April 8, 2011
I met the A-X as it was then called in a briefing by RAND in the 70's. I openned my eyes as if looking at a US/FRG V/STOL. I haven't completed the book yet, I'm about 80% and maybe it has a glossary and references that eats up 7% and maybe not. I did find out in this book they made 90 degree dives not just the 60 degree briefed by RAND which was beyond the 45 degree that other fast movers found useable. If you saw the videos on TV about SCUD hunting you might have the impression that the Strike Eagles were tasked and mostly came up empty so read that book too. Combined Arms? Reinforced Rifle? Unfamiliar terms to a WW-II buff. Gather round the campfire to avoid the desert chill of February, 1991.

5.0 out of 5 stars Warthog: Flying the A-10 in the Gulf War, January 6, 2009
I bought it back when it first came out in 1993 and loved it!,and reread it in 2001 and still loved it. I'am going to reread it this month (Jan 09) because it's the only book out on filing the A-10 in combat! try STRIKE EAGLE: Flying the F-15E in the Gulf War it's also great. I also read and later reread it. Great combat flying!! and photos.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›