Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

on November 20, 2003
My husband and I love to read "I Was so Mad" along with our 21 month old daughter. The short story easily depicts the everyday frustrations that little ones run into and their feeling "mad" when they can not do what they want but then finding an alternative that does make them happy. Our daughter loves the pictures as well as helping us read along and say "So Mad" at the end of many of the pages. All in all- it's one of our favorites.
on November 18, 2000
I Was So Mad. By Mercer Mayer. Golden Book, 1983. 24 pages.
Little critters are obviously no exception to the repeated "no" that children hear throughout a day, according to Mercer Mayer in his book "I Was So Mad." Little Critter never gets to do anything he wants-even tickling the goldfish and keeping frogs in the bathtub are off limits. His family finally makes him "so mad" that he decides to run away, until he is at last granted permission to play with his friends. Although illustrations take up a good deal of the white space in this Level 2 easy reader, the large, dark, typeface remains easy to follow. Repetitions of "I was so mad" and "No, you can't" help the young reader get through some of the more unfamiliar passages yet are not monotonous as they are an integral part of the plot. The adorable watercolor and ink illustrations follow the text closely, and serve as a tool for the child trying to decode what Little Critter is not allowed to do. This delightful book serves as a good foundation for the six to eight year old reader who is learning that there is meaning behind the text he reads. Children will easily relate to Little Critter's complaints and likely will recall similar experiences, bringing them even more enjoyment while reading. Undoubtedly, Little Critter will quickly become a favorite friend for the beginning reader.
on December 13, 2000
I think I Was So Mad, along with the other Mercer Mayer books, is a great book that kids can relate to and learn from. In this book, Little Critter espresses his feelings of frustration and of being angry in a way that most children do in at least one point of time in their life. I enjoyed reading Mercer Mayer books as a child and even now i can't help picking up one of these simple books to read when i see one.
on November 8, 2015
This book is so cute. I take a class for childcare and we had to choose a book to make a social/emotional book nook. I picked this because I believe it has a nice lesson to be learned even though little critter gets so mad when he cant do the things he wants to do in the end he realizes its not as bad as he was making it out to be. I brought the book to my class and they all loved it. Great lesson learned.
on January 26, 2006
Not only does my three year old absolutely adore these books, but all four of my daughters enjoyed them as small children. I've found them to be charming and well drawn, each one dealing with a normal part of life for a child.

This one shows the child critter being mad because everything (destructive) he tries to do his parents tell him no, but when he asks to go play, he's allowed to do that...which makes him AND his parents happy. :)
on August 10, 2014
Cute art, great memories from childhood, but not attachment parenting friendly. I didn't remember this book being like this at ALL. I prefer to help my kids through their rough patches and not treat them as if their feelings are insignificant to me or too much for me to bother with.
on October 20, 2004
This was my favorite book when I was little. One of my most memorable childhood memories is sitting with my dad while he read it to me. He would do such a great job of expressing Little Critter's emotions! This book would never get old. It's hardcover, and I am very happy that it's still intact today even from my teeth marks on the corners! I store it in the bottom of my dresser so I can read it to my son (due Jan-25-04). I think about Little Critter when I become so mad today and remember that there's no need to give up! I hope to keep this book in my family for years.
on April 15, 2016
I was hoping the end of this story would discuss how to deal with feelings. But I'm the end, Little Critter decides he is so mad that he is going to run away from home. So he packs up and gets distracted when he sees his friends all playing baseball and is happy that his mother allows him to go play with them. So he decides maybe he will run away tomorrow.

Cute, but I was hoping for more about how to deal with our mad feelings, etc.
on February 22, 2016
Good book to use as an introduction to feelings of frustration.
My two year old grandson loves it and has even started to "read" it to himself from the pictures.
Mercer Mayer's Little Critter books are very popular with children from pre-k age through first grade.
They have withstood the test of time!
on September 19, 2015
I like it but I didn't read the reviews before hand and didn't realize he talks about running away because he is mad. I really don't want to introduce this idea to my four year old and don't exactly like how his parents don't address him declaring he is going to run away just because he isn't getting his way.
Nice idea but not the greatest book if you are looking to help your child deal with anger in a healthy way.