Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 52 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 27, 2011 9:04:42 PM PDT
I was wondering where the word Sith was first mentioned. Was it in any of the original 3 movies or was it from a Star Wars novel?

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 6:34:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2011 6:46:56 AM PDT
Gus Hound says:
The first use of the word "Sith" is in the Star Wars novelization for Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, as a title for Darth Vader, the "Dark Lord of the Sith."

Never mentioned in the films until Phantom Menace.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 10:43:52 AM PDT
Thank you! That was driving me nuts.

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 10:54:39 AM PDT
David Harris says:
I'm glad Gus knew for sure. If I'd had to rely on memory and take a guess I would've said no also. I wouldn't've bet money but couldn't remember it. If anyone would've said it it would be the Emperor.

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 5:26:35 PM PDT
M. Kapsch says:
Actually, if I recall, the word "Sith" was first used in the 1985-1986 Droids animated series. Admiral Screed referred to a planetary system as the "Cloak of Sith."

Posted on Sep 29, 2011 2:20:55 AM PDT
I was watching the prequels again and paying very close attention (there's a lot of story structure and detail to take in.) And it occurred to me that I'd never heard the word "Sith" in the original movies.

Did Darth Vader forget that he built C3PO and worked with R2D2 ? Was Obi Wan pretending he didn't also know these droids?

Was there any thought to changing the voices of the Storm Troopers voices to match Temuera Morrison?

Posted on Sep 29, 2011 6:48:16 AM PDT
Gus Hound says:
Vader and 3PO: The two didn't really meet in the Original Trilogy. Other than in the Carbonite Chamber on Bespin, Vader never came face to face with 3PO. Even then, 3PO was strapped to Chewie's back, and Vader was certainly more occupied with trying to test the Carbon Freezing on Solo.

Obi-Wan and R2: It's pretty clear that Old Ben was a big fat liar.

Stormtroopers: By the time of 'A New Hope', most of the Stormtroopers were no longer clones of Jango Fett.

Posted on Sep 29, 2011 7:08:40 AM PDT
BE says:
According to George, R2 units are a dime a dozen in the Star Wars universe, so while he might have known it was THE R2-D2 if he had been around long enough to see it display its quirks. C3PO could easily be mistaken for another droid of his series because of his frequent memory wipes.

Posted on Sep 29, 2011 7:45:30 AM PDT
Puggo says:
I don't understand the concept that the OT has to be "fixed" to repair inconsistencies with the PT. Consider the timeline: 1977-1983, OT is produced and considered a milestone in moviemaking. 1999-2005: PT is produced and considered a mildly fun curiosity at best, an unmitigated turd at worst. There are also inconsistencies with the OT. Now, which one (if any) should be "fixed" to bring it in line with the other? Or put another way, if my neighbor's lawn catches fire and as a result makes the neighborhood look ugly, I don't fix it by burning my lawn too.

The measure of how good the OT is shouldn't be how well it lines up with the PT - that's backwards in my opinion. It's totally irrelevant how well it lines up with the PT, because it existed before the PT and nobody ever talked about changing anything until after the PT came out. It's not the OT's fault that the PT missed the mark.

Posted on Sep 29, 2011 9:32:55 AM PDT
BE says:
You are discounting the opinions of a lot of kids who grew up with the prequels. While it is true that the originals shouldn't be changed to fit the prequels, it doesn't real do that any more than they could make the prequels fit. That would be modifying the conversation about Leia's mother and the like. you can't discount the massive realm of the expanded universe either. Sure, some of it is bad, but a lot is really good. There are far more inconsistancies in the original trilogy between those movies than the prequels.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2011 9:38:17 AM PDT
"Stormtroopers: By the time of 'A New Hope', most of the Stormtroopers were no longer clones of Jango Fett."

I'm unfamiliar with the SW universe beyond the movies. What happened to the Jango Fett clones?

Posted on Sep 29, 2011 9:44:26 AM PDT
BE says:
They suffered from their advanced aging. If my math is right, Clones would be 38 to 60 years old by that time if they had survived that long. They weren't being constantly produced anymore so those that were left would slowly die or get too old for combat. They were using many clone templates as well as volunteers at that time.
Most would still be in fighting shape though since characters in Star Wars live longer.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2011 12:37:09 PM PDT
OK. I understand, I was under the impression that the clones were still being produced.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2011 2:05:07 PM PDT
Jack Pacini says:
In Empire, Vader clearly stops Boba Fett from firing at Chewbacca w/ 3PO on his back. Suggesting that he did in fact remember building him, and he did recognize him. No way of knowing if Lucas had planned for Anakin to have built C-3PO from the beginning, or whether it was a happy coincidence. Either way I thought it was really cool after I had first seen Phantom Menace in 1999, and then went back and watched Empire again, and noticed Vader blocked Fett's shot.

Posted on Sep 29, 2011 4:53:36 PM PDT
Coressel says:
Vader stopped Fett from shooting to avoid a chaotic situation, that's all.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2011 5:32:26 PM PDT
Jack Pacini says:
Maybe, maybe not. Only Georgie boy knows for sure.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2011 6:12:56 PM PDT
Which brings up the idea of how humans (or humanoids) relate with droids in the SW universe. Did you notice Luke originally treated C3PO and R2D2 like livestock? Maybe because he was a farm boy. Droids seemed to have a strange social class.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2011 7:32:04 PM PDT
Jack Pacini says:
Or how they weren't allowed in the cantina. Droids seem to be the slave class in a galaxy far, far, away.

Posted on Sep 29, 2011 8:41:22 PM PDT
David Harris says:
Well they had human slaves on Tattooine, or did in Anakin's time. So droidism isn't too far-fetched.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2011 8:49:53 PM PDT
Yeah, both Anakin and his daughter Princess Leia became slaves on Tattooine.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2011 11:04:57 AM PDT
ShowtimeMike says:
@ MaryEllen Taylor,

I haven't seen anything that gives an estimate for how fast they age. But we do know that the 501st (all clones) was in service during the original trilogy as late as the attack on Hoth. That was in Star Wars Battlefront 2 and I'm pretty sure is considered Canon.

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 11:45:50 AM PDT
BE says:
Trust me, I love Battlefront II having done some skins for it, but not all of the information can be considered as canon. Story information that doesn't conflict is though. As you know from the game, the DNA sample of Jango Fett was destroyed. And certainly some clones were still in service, but I believe even the game says that the ranks were no longer purely Fett clones. I always have assumed thy age twice as fast, though I am not sure if this is correct. My point was that there were were no new clones being made after the Fett DNA was destroyed a few months after the creation of the Empire, and old Clones aged faster anyway.
~Trent Taylor

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2011 12:18:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 7, 2011 12:18:54 PM PDT
ShowtimeMike says:
Well, that being one of my favorite games of all time, I am quite envious of you. Yeah, no argument on there not being continued production of the clones....just was wondering if you knew something concrete that I didn't on their aging. I don't recall anything in the BF II campaign mode storyline that conflict with any canon I'm aware of. Please enlighten me if you do.

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 12:34:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 7, 2011 12:42:24 PM PDT
BE says:
Short of weapons functions and colors, nothing comes to mind besides the presence of the 501st at battles they were never at, but I believe those still happened, only with a different clone legion. If you want to check out my skins, here is the link. http://starwarsbattlefront.filefront.com/file/TheJediMasters_Skinpack;97389
I know the Imperial Commando novel specifically mentions the clones feeling less brotherhood with the new non-Fett clones/recruits.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2011 1:58:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 7, 2011 2:06:07 PM PDT
Both you and Gus are correct. The prequels bear out the large number of similar-looking and sounding droids in the galaxy, so how would Obi-Wan know this was the exact same one? Also, all he ever said was that he didn't recall owning a droid. He never did own R2, although he saw him briefly in Episode I and in Episode III. Same with 3PO. I think Ewan McGregor might have had one scene interacting with Anthony Daniels in the entire prequel trilogy, and Obi-Wan was obviously pretty distracted since it was just after he thought he'd killed Darth Vader. Moreover, with 3PO's memory being wiped and all protocol droids also looking pretty similar (although they might have different voices, but one can assume that the voices are programmed, and probably there's a limited amount of voice options for the programmer to choose from like a GPS, so I would doubt any voice is utterly unique to one droid), why should Obi-Wan--or Vader, who only catch the smallest, obscurest glimpses of the droids during a hectic sequence--necessarily recognize them or say anything about it?

Remember, we the audience tend to think of the droids as almost human-like, since we see them as having personalities, and some level of sentience/intellectual independence (through artificial intelligence technology presumably). We are even willing to assign a robot that makes beeping and buzzing noises a gender identity (calling R2 "he"), but most of the characters seem to treat them like they're just appliances or machines, one much the same as another. Anakin and Luke are the only ones we see consistently treating their droids with as much consideration as people.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  25
Total posts:  52
Initial post:  Sep 27, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 2, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions