Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundTouch 130 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

UPDATE: The new Hero3+ battery, AHDBT-302 is a bit larger than the older battery. The older battery has small notches on the top corners, the newer battery is a bit thicker and does not have the notches. The original Wasabi charger would not allow the newer batteries to fit in it, but Wasabi has updated the charger to accommodate the new battery as well as the older 1050mAh battery.

---

The Wasabi Power battery and charger combo for GoPro Hero3 is such an amazing value that you might be skeptical. Don't be,

This is the real deal. You get 2 batteries that, at least on paper, exceed the specs of the original GoPro battery. These batteries are marketed as 1200mAh whereas the GoPro battery is only 1050 mAh, a difference of 150mAh. That translates to about a 10-15 minute increase in recording time. Well... maybe, maybe not. Some people are making a bigger deal than necessary about the alleged overstatement of battery capacity of the Wasabi's. I'm not an electrical engineer so can't make any absolutely scientific claims but I can tell you that in comparing the run time of both the GoPro branded battery and the Wasabi, they are very close. So whether or not the actual capacity of the Wasabi is a bit more or less than the GoPro is not important to me. What is important to me is that these batteries are a lot less expensive and last about the same length of time for all practical purposes. So just getting 2 batteries for almost the same price as 1 GoPro battery is a great deal. But Wasabi Power also gives you an AC battery charger, a car charger adapter plus they throw in a European plug.

The batteries fit snugly in my Hero3 Black and I do not have any looseness with the batteries in the AC charger as some people have reported. Works fine for me. I find that the batteries fully charge in about 2-2.5 hours. The charger also charges the GoPro batteries, although some people claim the GoPro batteries are loose in the charger. Mine are not loose and charge perfectly.

Boggles the mind that GoPro can get away with such highway robbery. But never fear, Wasabi Power is here to ease the pain of buying backup batteries.

Thanks you Wasabi Power for providing such great value.
4444 comments350 of 360 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 11, 2013
The charger and two batteries for The GoPro Hero3 seemed like a great value since a single GoPro battery is $19.99 and the GoPro wall charger is $39.99. However, after just one use the charger stopped working when plugged into the wall. I used a volt meter and there is zero voltage at the charging leads. The charger works fine with the car adapter but does not work when plugged into an outlet. I'm returning this item for a refund. FYI, so far, the refund process has been pretty simple.

UPDATE: I was just contacted by Terry at Wasabi Power. He read my original review and took the time to to find my order information and called me. He apologized for the problem with the wall charger and is shipping a replacement charger to me today...now that's customer service! I thought my only option was to return the item to Amazon for a refund but Terry informed me that if anyone has any problems, they can contact him at 877-268-1235 and he will try to resolve your problem. The great value of this item coupled with the customer service changed my rating to 5 STARS!
22 comments297 of 305 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 13, 2013
After a trip to Tahoe, it felt like the Wasabi batteries crapped out sooner than my original GoPro battery. That prompted an investigation.

I charged the original GoPro battery and the 2 Wasabi batteries on the Wasabi charger. The wasabi charger is pretty consistent - the batteries were coming off the charger at 4.17V, which is a full charge for li-ion.

I discharged each battery at a constant 0.4 amp rate on a battery discharger with a cutoff set to 2.8V. Why 0.4 amps? I discharge at approximately the same rate as the battery is being used and a 0.4 amp discharge would dump the battery in a little over 2 hours.

People are raving about the 1200 mAh capacity on the Wasabi battery label. It's a flat out lie.
They tested at 856 mAh on one and 862 mAh on the other battery. That's only 72% of the rated capacity. FAIL!
The GoPro battery tested at 937 mAH - which is significantly more capacity than the Wasabi batteries.

-1 star for inferior capacity
-1 another star for blatantly lying about it so that unsuspecting people would buy it.
2424 comments389 of 421 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 10, 2013
As my video review mentions I really do believe this is a great value in comparison to the battery offered by the GoPro web site. The additional power capacity does equate to about 9 min. additional recording time on average depending on settings. The only concern I noted was the difference in size when compared to the stock battery. The Wasabi brand fits a bit snug in the camera and requires a hard tug to get out. Just hope the attached sticker doesn't rip off. Overall I would recommend this product just have a backup plan in case you have trouble removing it.
review image review image review image
0Comment43 of 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 11, 2012
Like all things ordered over the internet hoping this batteries/charger deal was going to work from Amazon.
My other choice was spending the long green going thru Gopro for extra batteries. This is a smart buy.
Batteries and charger, ...if purchased direct from Gopro would exceed a 100 bucks.

Wasabi batteries are indentical to the far more expense ones from Gopro and work just fine.
Wallcharger does it's job and the bonus 12v adapter for the charger makes this an outstanding purchase.

Gopro cameras do OK on one battery for a couple of hours, maybe a bit more depending on files sizes.
Put a the Touch Bac LCD screen on and the camaers go thru a lot more juice.
Wasabis have a slightly higher power rating: 1200mAh vs. 1050mAh for Gopro.

If you're looking for a bargain?

Into saving a bunch of dough?

Like I said it's, "smart buy!"

Shipping was fast, arrived day promised.

Took a picture so you can see for yourself these batteries are exactly the same as the stock that
comes when you purchase a Gopro.
review image
66 comments82 of 101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 12, 2012
I love my GoPro Hero3 Black. The combination of amazing image quality, array of recording options and durability in a package the size of two stacked matchbooks is unparalleled. The one drawback? This camera positively eats batteries. And with the LCD Touch BacPac attached, I was getting just over an hour of recording time - barely enough to get anything done.

After spending over $500 on the Hero3 and acccessories, I was not inclined to drop $20 per official GoPro spare battery and another $40 for a GoPro wall charger. And the wall unit is just an outlet plug with two USB charging ports - I would still have to charge the batteries one at a time inside the camera.

So I went looking elsewhere and I came across the Wasabi Power Battery Pack. For $25 you get two batteries and a real wall charger (it only replenishes one battery at a time, but that's a minor quibble). Once opened, I had my new spare batteries fully charged within three hours. Things were looking good.

And they kept getting better. The new batteries are just a tad more snug inside the camera, reducing vibration noise. Addtionally, they last longer. I get about 20 minutes more power with the LCD attached, a 20% boost over the stock GoPro batteries.

It's easily the best money I have spent since I bought the camera.
0Comment40 of 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 25, 2014
Got this and decided to test the 1200mAh Claims.
Basically... nope. The Two Batteries tested 943 and 941. Just for the heck of it I tested the stock battery and got 1098mAh. Close enough to the 1080mAh they are labeled as.
(link to the plot)
review image
on March 11, 2014
Used this on a vacation just fine. Charged it when I came back, then tried to use it a month later. Charged it in advance last weekend, set my GoPro to record and it recorded all but 3 minutes of video before it died. This thing has gone through maybe 3 charge cycles and no longer holds a charge. My OEM battery works JUST fine.

UPDATE: changing this to a 5 star. the company got back to me right away and shipped me a new battery. the replacement works GREAT after at least a dozen charges.
22 comments5 of 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 17, 2013
Comparing the Wasabi battery with the OEM battery,

-Battery life seems to be similar.
-Been using it for about a month.
-half the price of OEM bat.
-the bad, the tape handle comes off easily. The OEM seems firm but the Wasabi one feels cheap.

Bottom line: If I had to buy more batteries, I'd buy these.
on June 4, 2013
Very happy with these batteries. Last just as long if not longer than the original GoPro batteries. Plus getting the charger for both the car and house is great.
Used gopro on time lapse pictures for one picture a minute on highest photo settings.
GoPro original battery took 55 pictures before battery died.
Wasabi battery took 84 pictures before the battery died.