4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good value
Published 1 month ago by A. Y. Wang

3.0 out of 5 stars It's good but the batteries get hot easily
Published 5 months ago by J0J0

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good value, May 28, 2014
This review is from: Wasabi Power Battery (2-Pack) and Charger for Drift GBAT and Drift HD Ghost, Ghost-S (Camera)
I purchased the Wasabi brand batteries before for my Drift HD, so I bought a set for my Ghost-S as well. With a rated capacity of 1900mAh, one would expect these to outlast the stock battery by about +12%. I also bought a set of the DSTE batteries, which are rated at 2300mAh (+35% over stock) just to see how they performed. I got these from Amazon as well. I did some battery life comparisons by charging them fully, and then putting the camera on a shelf and letting it record until the battery ran out. Using the date/time stamps on the files, I was able to calculate just how long the camera recorded. I used to same camera each time to minimize any differences across the tests.

1080 @ 30fps
Stock: 3h 51m
Wasabi Battery A: 3h 47m (-1.7%)
Wasabi Battery B: Not tested yet
DSTE Battery A: Defective
DSTE Battery B: 3h 57m (+2.6%)

1080 @ 60fps
Stock: 2h 5m
Wasabi Battery A: 3h 5m (+48%)
Wasabi Battery B: 2h 54m (+39.2%)
DSTE Battery A: Defective
DSTE Battery B: 3h 5m (+48%)

So as you can see, it's a mixed bag. One of the DSTE batteries overheated, causing the camera to lock up, but the other worked fine. The other DSTE battery and the two Wasabis got warm, but not to the extent of the defective DSTE battery, nor would I say they ever got hot enough in the camera that I got concerned.

Shooting at 30fps, the Wasabi provided roughly the same amount of recording time as the stock and DSTE batteries. Changing to 60fps, both the Wasabi and DSTE batteries outpaced the stock battery by a margin even wider than I expected based on the different rated capacities. I am at a loss to explain why this would be the case.

In summary, I can say this -- as with my previous Wasabis for the Drift HD, these batteries are a good value. It's tough to say what effect the additional capacity is having on the battery life, since it's about the same as stock at 30fps but almost 50% more at 60fps. The charger that comes with the batteries is a nice convenience, but it's not very fast, providing only 500mA.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly., October 2, 2013
Ordered this to supplement the single battery that comes with the Drift Ghost. These batteries last a little longer than the stock battery. I am averaging about 3 hours a piece for these and roughly 2 hours with the stock Drift battery.

Charger works very well and the included cigarette lighter adapter makes charging on the go, while I am driving so much easier.

I plan to buy more in the future so I can have a constant source of power when I am out and about and recording video while I drive or draw pictures.

All in all, a perfect product and perfect customer support.

Will buy again.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's good but the batteries get hot easily, February 16, 2014
I bought these two so I can have extra power for my Drift HD and for that these are doing their job. The only issue I have is that these batteries get hot when running the Drift HD for a long time (30 minutes). Compared to the original Drift HD batteries they run hotter that is. But it's alright for me, I just take them out and put in the other ones. Also, I wait for them to cool down before I charge them up again.

5.0 out of 5 stars WASABI's Got The Power, October 2, 2013
When purchasing my new DRIFT HD Ghost camera I new I would need to have some extra battery packs to support my time afield. Not having any previous experience with Wasabi products I new I would be taking a chance. But after cycling through the battery packs I have to say they seem to last much longer than what I had expected. Also the charger is really nice and having the option to charge in the car, which I haven't needed so far, that's a plus.
I will be in the market for another Drift camera or two, as they also are a great product.
And kudos to Amazon and Blue Nook as well as I had all products delivered at the earliest date promised. Amazing! Just in time for my trip to South Dakota.
Wasabi use to be my favorite spice, Now my favorite Battery!

4.0 out of 5 stars Wasabi Battery for Drift Ghost, May 8, 2013
As Edny mentioned in their review, I too was hesitant to purchase this product with no reviews. Other than a minor issue, I am very pleased with this purchase.
Upon receiving the batteries I immediately put them in the camera to see if there was a charge on them. When I attempted to close the battery door, it was noticeably more difficult than the original. I placed the new batteries and the original next to each other and the Wasabi batteries are a bit taller (maybe a playing cards thickness). There is a rubber pad stuck on the door next to the hinge that keeps the battery stable in the camera. IMHO the pad is too thick for the original battery and I think it puts a fair amount of stress on the door hinge. That being the case, it really made it challenging to close the door on the Wasabi batteries. Solution: remove the pad. The Wasabi batteries fit perfect now. This is my minor issue that ultimately resulted in a 4 star rating instead of a 5 star.
I took the batteries out for a test run last weekend and both performed great. I set the camera up in Tag mode and just let it run. I replaced the batteries after 3 hours and both were still indicating 1 bar on the battery gauge. I did another test run on Monday with just one of the batteries. Again, I had the camera setup to continuously record in Tag mode. I ran the battery for 3.5 hours and the battery gauge turned red.
Also, since the product is new, I received a follow up call from the folks that shipped the batteries (Blue Nook). Super cool that they took the time to find out how their customers like the product. 5 star customer service!

5.0 out of 5 stars good, June 19, 2014
especially for being aftermarket batteries, these things are just as bomb as the original battery. the charger is nice to have also. especially since it charges the original too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice to have extras., May 4, 2014
When I use my Drift camera, I'm riding my motorcycle. I'll be out for hours. It's nice to have the extra power when it's needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have, February 6, 2014
These 2 batteries along with the oem and you can run your camera all day in tagging mode. At least as good as the OEM battery. Probably a little better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value batteries but may be a slight issue in Ghost S, January 14, 2014
Steve May (Vernon, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
Using in a Drift Ghost S.

Batteries are a great value compared to buying Drift's batteries and the charger is handy when charging multiple batteries each day.

I found the Wasabi batteries would loose contact while in the camera - the camera would randomly turn off, many times would not turn on again. Seemed strange as the batteries still had much of their charge.

Finally tried applying light pressure to the battery with a finger and the camera worked fine. So, cut some pieces of laminated business card and placed one between the battery and the door. Solves the problem.

Visually, both batteries appear to be identical in size - why the Wasabi's need a shim is a mystery.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertised, January 4, 2014
It is working as advertised and it is cheaper. No problem encountered when inserting as mentioned by others, it is longer lasting than the original.

Rate and Discover Movies