4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Service
Published on July 8, 2012 by Mark Smith

1.0 out of 5 stars Bought two, niether worked for more that 30 days.
I love the idea of this battery charger - small, portable, cheap and comes with 2 batteries. However after buying two and both failing, I'm going back to Olympus.
Published 21 months ago by CA123

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Service, July 8, 2012
Mark Smith (ONTARIO, CANADA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wasabi Power Battery (2-Pack) and Charger for Olympus BLN-1, BCN-1 and Olympus OM-D E-M1, OM-D E-M5, PEN E-P5 (Electronics)
I purchased the Wasabi Power Battery and Charger Kit for Olympus Olympus OM-D EM-5 since it was such a bargain and I'd read postings that these batteries were pretty reliable. Sadly one of the batteries would not take a charge when I received it. This disappointed me but I do understand that faulty batteries can get produced by any company. I then asked for a replacement with a somewhat negative expectation of getting a hard time but was thrilled by the level of service in replacing the batteries. The vendor sent me replacements without any hassles and as quickly as possible. I can live with receiving a dud when I get such good support. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from this vendor again since after sales service is so good.

4.0 out of 5 stars UPDATED: Performance tests changed my mind, September 7, 2012
My kit did not come with any instructions. I assume the charger has only 2 states (red and green), and no error indicators, like a bad cell. I have no idea if it is safe to charge the real Olympus battery with this charger or not (although some reviewers have evidently had success with this). The 12v charger has no identification at all. It could be any car charger for my phone, tablet, etc. The batteries have no caps so the contacts are always exposed - keep away from anything metal so they don't short out.

The batteries say "Premium cells from Japan" but are made in China. Who knows - they could say "NASA Mars Rover cells" or anything else for all you can tell. As noted, the cells don't have a chip so the camera won't show the level of charge. Mine charged for about 10 minutes each. Is that now a full charge? How long will it last? Who knows?

All-in-all, cheap and disappointing. Yes, Olympus should be ashamed for not suppling extra batteries of its own for so many months, but I'll use the Wasabi's only in an emergency and hope for the best.

UPDATED 9/18/12. After posting my original review, I received three calls from Blue Nook. Terry suggested an initial full discharge then recharge to condition the battery completely before use. He followed up a week later to see how that went. I had followed his suggestion and the batteries have performed well over several days of moderate shooting. Then I received a call from the President of Blue Nook. He noted the instructions are on the charger itself (although brief), and that they are working on a more complete set. He also assured me their charger will charge the Olympus OEM battery with no problems. This is good news because the Wasabi charger is smaller, lighter and plugs directly in without a cord. He further assured me the cells are made in Japan, and the batteries are marked "Made in China" to comply with import regulations (the China manufacturer encases the cells in the BLN-1 form, so you don't see the Japanese markings). He also stressed they have had no reported problems from shorting contacts due to the lack of a cap (we discussed this extensively), and their three year warranty (vs. one year for the Olympus) would cover any and all circumstances or conditions.

Given the real world performance of the batteries to date, and the level of concern and support from Blue Nook, I am much more confident in this product. It is a great price, it is available (Olympus is on perpetual back order), and shipping was prompt. Based on their customer service, they earned my trust and confidence. I still wish they were chipped so the camera reported the charge level, but they are evidently working on it, so 4 stars on the product overall, and kudos on their service

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid alternative to OEM batteries, August 1, 2012
I've always been a fan of the Wasabi-style charger & battery combos and this one doesn't fail. Terry at Blue Nook has helped me this time and and the customer service is friggin outstanding.

The charger has some advantages over the OEM Olympus charger:

+ Different color LEDs for different modes:
When charging, the LED indicator is orange / when finished, it is green - much more intuitive than Olympus' one-color display which turns off when not charging.
+ The AC charging prongs are built into the body and pivot outwards. This means you don't need a power cord like on the olympus charger.

Some notes on the Batteries:

+ The Batteries fit perfectly in the battery grip as well as the camera body, so no need to worry about the manufacturing tolerances.
+ The sticker says 1300mah as opposed to Olympus' lower capacity 1220mah
- The batteries are not decoded. This means that the battery gauge is not accurate. Blue nook stated decoding can take up to 6 months, so I would not wait for it. This isn't really an issue, though, as I always have a spare on me anyway. Well worth the cheaper/higher capacity alternative.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Batteries at a good price., August 1, 2012
Having previously purchased a Wasabi Power battery kit for my Olympus Pen E-p3 I had no reservations about purchasing this battery set for my new E-M5. While buying "off-brand" batteries can be risky, the Wasabi batteries are just as good as the original Olympus batteries. In fact they may be a better buy.

These batteries are also slightly higher capacity than the original battery. I can easily get ~500 shots using my E-M5. I don't use a flash and turn my camera off when not using it instead of letting it idle. I rotate between the two Wasabi batteries that came with this kit and the original battery.

Build quality is great. They fit perfectly, just like the original. I use the wall charger and even charge the original battery with this charger. It's much more convenient and smaller than the Olympus charger (which requires a cable). The charging cable for cars is a nice addition.

I would easily recommend this set because 1) this set is cheaper than a single official Olympus battery and 2)Olympus has not made the official batteries available for purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertised, excellent vendor service, August 15, 2012
Jim Hart (Warren, MI USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased the Wasabi dual battery kit for an Olympus OM-D E5.

The kit consists of two batteries, a charger with a flip down plug, an adapter for the flip down plug to fit round bladed outlets, and a car charger.

Initially I had some difficulty with the charger - the charging light was always green, rather than red for charging and green indicating that the charge was complete.

I contacted Blue Nook (the vendor) and their representative noted that they were temporarily out of stock of the charging units. He put me on a waiting list and a couple of weeks later a new charger arrived. In the interim I had used the 'defective' charger and it seemed to charge the batteries, but I was concerned that it would overcharge them since the indicator light wasn't functioning properly.

The replacement charger had the same problem. I contacted the Blue Nook representative and he was befuddled, he had not heard of this issue prior to my first call. He did note that some units needed to have the contacts pulled out ever-so-slightly so as to make better contacts with the battery, but that did not seem to be the issue in my case. The only thing we could think of was that I needed to run the batteries down a bit more before attempting a charge. (Lithium cells do not have 'memory' issues as did the old NiCad cells, and I formed the habit of frequently recharging my Nikon D300 cells which I carried on with the Wasabi cells).

I ran one of the Wasabi cells down to the point where the 'low battery alert' was being shown in the OM-D viewfinder. When plugged into the Wasabi charger the light finally turned red indicating it was charging. (As noted in other reviews, these batteries are not "chipped" so the battery gauge in the OM-D E5 may not reflect the actual state of charge in the battery).

Apparently there is a threshold of power draw that causes the indicator light to turn red; anything beyond that threshold does supply power to the battery (I'm theorizing here, because the charger did charge the battery even before I got the red light to come on) but in a 'maintenance' trickle charge with the indicator light being shown as green.

Once I had that issue sorted out the batteries work just fine. Note that the OEM battery will also charge in the Wasabi charger (however the reverse is not true - one cannot charge the Wasabi batteries in the OEM charger). The OEM charger has a power cord, whereas the Wasabi charger has a flip down plug. If one has ready access to a wall plug the flip down plug is better; if one has to fiddle around behind furniture to access a wall plug the OEM cord style has the advantage.

Compared to the cost of a single OEM battery, and considering that one receives two batteries and an automobile adapter in the kit, I consider this to be quite a bargain for under $30 U.S.

The folks at Blue Nook were very helpful in sorting out my difficulties in getting the kit working, and very responsive both by email and telephone.

I believe the OEM battery does last longer (I have not done a "battery shot count" for each battery type) but since the Wasabi cells are so inexpensive when compared with the OEM cells one can have considerable power "in reserve" in the form of spare cells.

Of course the cells are quite small and very light, so carrying spares is not onerous.

I am very pleased with the product, the price, and the service received from Blue Nook.

Recommended.

EDIT: 18 months later - the Wasabi batteries are still running fine in my OM-D E-M5; I use them interchangeably with the OEM battery and have had no issues.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bought two, niether worked for more that 30 days., February 7, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars 4.9 out of 5 stars, just wish it was decoded!, September 5, 2012
Let's see, the manufacturer's battery is on a 1-3 month backorder Olympus V620053XU010 7.6-Volt 1220 mAh Battery for EM-5 (Black) and it twice the price... It's almost a no-brainer to go with the alternative which is this Wasabi battery which includes not one but TWO batteries AND a charger with wall mount and car adapter! The only limitation is that this battery does not have the special chip that the OEM Olympus battery has so it cannot be charged in the same charger that came with you E-M5 and the camera can't read the battery levels. But for the price and overall package this is a steal of a deal especially given that the quality is high when their are no alternatives at the moment since Olympus is backordered. Just learn how much length you get from a regular battery and swap out whenever you reach that number of shots, and with two spare batteries now you have no excuse to always have a spare with you.

2.0 out of 5 stars works, but not for long..., December 29, 2012
These batteries lose the race. I should have bought a second Olympus battery, even though more expensive. The two reasons are: this doesn't last very long. After 50-100 shots, off a full charge, it dies. Maybe I just got lemons but the Olympus battery is good for 3-4x as many. Second, the Olympus charger and this one are not interchangeable. So when traveling, you need to carry two chargers. That's a pain too.

The lesson... don't cheap out. Waste of money, as I'll likely be buying name brand now and disposing of these.

5.0 out of 5 stars batteries appear to be decoded now, March 4, 2013
I received my batteries expecting the camera to simply shut down when they run out of juice, but they do give me a low battery warning so i think they are now decoded... as in they now are able to work with the camera to display some information on charge level. I'm not sure if they're supposed to give you any intermediate notice of charge level (like cell phone which display multiple fractions of charge level), but the camera doesn't just suddenly shut-down on you which is the most important in my opinion. There isn't a whole lot of warning, but you still receive it. I like the kit, batteries work and charger works just fine as advertised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Goods as advertised!, July 28, 2012
I got my E-M5 in April but after 3 months Olympus still hasn't released the OEM batteries for the product! So what do you do? You look for alternatives. For me, the Wasabi E-M5 battery kit with 2 batteries, charger, and car cord was the answer.

The batteries fit perfectly in the E-M5 battery compartment and are manufactured with high quality plastic housing, and have clear precise product labelling attached. They charger quickly and last at least as long (to me if not longer) than the original Olympus battery provided with the camera. They also work with the battery indicator on the camera, and you WILL get a warning that the Wasabi battery is running low before it is actually depleted! I have also used the included car charger, and that works as well...

For $30 bucks (approx) this was a great buy and I'm now able to shoot the E-M5 all day without running out of juice! I would buy Wasabi batteries and products again.