4.0 out of 5 stars Really torn on this review
Published 21 months ago by Victor Leonard

2.0 out of 5 stars Fair given the price (one is now dead)
UPDATE 1/31/14: I knocked these down from 3 to 2 stars now. One of the pair has died after both (and the 2 STKs) had sat discharged for a few months after the summer was over. Yes, I know that's not good for battery health, but they should still easily last over a year. It won't take a charge from either the Canon or Wasabi chargers.

Original review:
This...
Published 18 months ago by Michael A. Ray

4.0 out of 5 stars Really torn on this review, October 17, 2012
This review is from: Wasabi Power Battery (2-Pack) and Charger for Canon NB-5L and Canon PowerShot S100, S110, SD700 IS, SD790 IS, SD800 IS, SD850 IS, SD870 IS, SD880 IS, SD890 IS, SD900 IS, SD950 IS, SD970 IS, SD990 IS, SX200 IS, SX210 IS, SX220 IS, SX230 HS (Personal Computers)
First off, Blue Nook / Wasabi Power is offering $10 Amazon gift cards for favorable reviews. I find this practice completely slimy and offputting. So take any review of their products with this grain of salt (including mine). If it weren't for this I'd have given this 5 stars. I received exactly what I wanted and expected for a very good price: a decent replacement battery charger and two functional batteries with inflated specifications (there are physical limits to how much power you can extract from a battery of the same size and chemistry and the only real thing you can do to get increased amp hour specs is by changing how you measure it). And all of this for less than the price of a single OEM battery or charger.

4.0 out of 5 stars 5 star seller, 4 star product, July 2, 2012
First of all, I have nothing but the highest regard for the seller, Blue Nook. I've dealt with them in the past and their customer service has been outstanding. Indeed, that is one of the reasons I purchased this product was because of the seller's reputation.

Now, onto the product. The charger works very well. It has foldable outlet prongs for easy packing. It has a red LED to indicate that the battery is being charged and a green LED to indicate that the battery is fully charged. While I didn't specifically test the charger, it seems to do the job in about as much time as the OEM Canon charger. I didn't try out the car recharger. (It's something that I have never resorted to - but, it's nice to have the option.)

After 3 cycles of fully charging and fully discharging the batteries, I tested each of the two batteries against the factory Canon battery. Operating my Canon SX230 on HD movie mode, the batteries recorded the following times:

Canon original _ 56 minutes, 10 seconds
Wasabi no. 1 _ 52 minutes, 29 seconds
Wasabi no. 2 _ 53 minutes, 06 seconds

As you can see, both Wasabi batteries were consistent with each other, averaging 52 minutes, 48 seconds. This was 94% of the recording time achieved by the Canon original battery. So, while the Wasabi product is labeled as "1400 mAH" and the Canon original is labeled as "1120 mAH"; the Canon lasted longer in this test. YMMV.

While the test results were a little disappointing, I'd still rate this as a good product at a good price.

(Note: In actual use, the difference between the Wasabi batteries and the Canon battery was not noticeable.)

2.0 out of 5 stars Fair given the price (one is now dead), January 7, 2013

Original review:
This Wasabi battery is clearly not as good as the OEM, but acceptable for the package deal you get here (though I have not tested how well the charger compares to OEM). I will note the OEM charger does not have car or international plug adapters though.

My rating is just for the batteries. I also purchased the SterlingTek version since those were highly regarded at dpreview as well as an S100. Once the S100 arrived, I charged the Wasabi, STK and OEM in the OEM charger, which seems to charge to the 4.2V maximum. I did not time how long that took or remove them as soon as the light turned green but also did not let them sit in the charger for more than an hour extra. Then I shot continuous video until each died, deleting the files after each one. The Wasabi recorded 60 minutes (I only tested one of the pair), the STK 78 minutes and the OEM 84 minutes. Based on other reviews I've read, I should also note the Wasabi was the lightest battery at 0.66 oz, STK was 0.72 oz and the OEM 0.79 oz. so that is somewhat an indicator of the performance you could expect from a cell.

I will hopefully remember to update this review by this summer and alter the rating if needed. As of this "fresh from the box" test, I'd definitely purchase more STK even though you could get two Wasabi for nearly the same price. I don't want to have to carry a large number of spares into the backcountry with me (or wait longer to recharge so many for the next leg of my trips).

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, but nowhere close to 1400 mAh., November 27, 2013
Only true believers in free lunches and tooth fairies will be surprised to hear that I didn't get 1400 mAh from these cells. They're much cheaper than Canon's and seem fine mechanically, but didn't deliver close to 1400 mAh.

The actual discharge curves, measured into a 20.1-ohm resistor, showed the capacity to be under 700 mAh. Both cells gave very similar results; a couple of charge/discharge cycles made no significant difference. The Wasabi charger seemed to charge to about 3% higher capacity than Canon's, giving 680 mAh.

Wasabi's NB-6L batteries, also purchased this month, also fell far short of spec, but not as badly as these; a pair of NB-6L's had ~60% of claimed capacity (780 mAh vs. 1300 mAh claimed).

Exaggerated capacity is hardly unusual for cheap Chinese batteries, and new, cheap batteries can be an improvement over old, dying OEM batteries, so we'll call it 3 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Alternative to Overpriced Canon Batteries/Charger, October 15, 2012
I could not believe how cheap this charger was, especially when I saw that it had two spare batteries with it. I read some good reviews and decided the price was worth the gamble. So far everything works perfectly. My original canon battery must have been defective- it was dead after being used once and off for a day. The wasabi batteries I've been using are lasting 4 days with every day use (with two little guys, my camera is always out). I was planning on using them as backup, but now I keep one in my purse and one in my camera. I just leave the canon battery at home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Batteries excellent, charger works well buts get noisy, November 16, 2011
5 for the batteries, 4 for the charger, overall 4.5 for the set.
I took these batteries along on a very photo intensive trip and found them hard to tell from the OEM (have not done a shot for shot comparison, but they last all day). The charger also works well, but once the charge is full, it begins to emit an awful, high pitched noise. Not a deal breaker, especially since an audible notification of the charge finishing has advantages, but it has woken me up in the middle of the night, so it isn't great either.

1.0 out of 5 stars There's a reason to by brand, February 16, 2013
I've always bought an extra battery when I buy a camera. So this time when I purchased a the Canon S100, I thought i'd save some money and buy the Wasabi 2-pack and get 2 batteries for half the cost of a Canon branded battery. Unfortunately, I didn't realize these batteries are a POS until after Amazons 30 days return period had expired. First thing I noticed is that the batteries recharged real fast. But I didn't notice how fast they discharged because I didn't really use the camera that much in the first few weeks, since it's one of three pocket size Canon cameras I now own.

Shooting video with the S100, a freshly charged Wasabi battery was fully discharged in 15 minutes! Using the Canon battery, I was able to shoot 35 minutes of video and the battery still had a significant charge left.

At some point I'll have to bite the bullet and purchase the Canon battery, having 2 backup batteries that are only good for 15 minutes ain't going to cut it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Substitute Canon Powershot SD800-IS Camera Battery Charger & Batteries, January 14, 2012
John C (Greater Seattle,WA) - See all my reviews
I had misplaced my original battery charger and was very reluctant about purchasing this replacement. However, I finally decided it was only a bit over a $20 bill including shipping. What's more I received an adapter to charge my battery using the cigarette lighter in my car plus two spare batteries all for the same price. How could I go wrong with a deal like that? I also discovered (after the package arrived) that the two extra batteries I was shipped are 1400MAH and my original Canon battery is 1170MAH. Everything works!!! GREAT and while the shipper "Blue Nook" indicated that I could expect it between January 17th and 20th, it arrived this morning January 14th. I'm a HAPPY Customer! Thanks very much Blue Nook...you done Great!!!

I did run into difficulty when trying to increase my order so I wouldn't waste the $4.53 for shipping, but no matter what I did (following instructions given) it never gave me credit for the shipping, so I just cut my order back to the original item I was wanting.

John C.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT BUY!, April 2, 2011
Looked at about 8 sites and these batteries were more expensive everywhere else. Especially considering it was for only ONE battery. Then I stumbled upon Amazon.com which led me to BLUE NOOK where I found this kit of TWO BATTERIES W/CHARGER for a very low and extremely reasonable price. The package arrived very quickly, was packaged extremely well and the batteries are of a better quality than the one that originally came with my camera and cost over $63.00. I've been snapping pictures like mad making certain these batteries have a long life between charging and they are living up to my high expectations. I certainly would recommend the BLUE NOOK site to anyone interested. Great value, fast shipping, excellent customer support and follow up. Thanks BLUE NOOK folks, you are truly nice folks.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wasabi Battery Charger and two Batteries, June 27, 2013
DAVID W. COOK (RIVER RIDGE, LA United States) - See all my reviews
Don't waste your money....buy a real Canon Battery. Even though the Canon is much more expensive the Wasabi batteries did not hold their charge and lasted less than half as long as the Canon. Also, the Wasabi charger is not compatible with Canon batteries, it will not charge them. The Wasabi batteries will work with a Canon charger, but not vice versa.

DWCNOLA