5.0 out of 5 stars Great deal! Now works with SONY NEX-5N
I purchased this battery pack for SONY NEX-5N (a new SONY camera that came out in September of 2011), which takes NP-FW50. SONY NEX-5N uses batteries at a pretty fast clip, so having a couple of extra batteries that this battery pack offers is very handy.

Published on October 8, 2011 by Ali Julia

3.0 out of 5 stars Not too bad for the price
Published on April 1, 2011 by Mobius

3.0 out of 5 stars Not too bad for the price, April 1, 2011
This review is from: Wasabi Power Battery (2-Pack) and Charger for Sony NP-FW50 and Sony Alpha 7, a7, Alpha 7R, a7R, Alpha a3000, Alpha a5000, Alpha a6000, NEX-3, NEX-3N, NEX-5, NEX-5N, NEX-5R, NEX-5T, NEX-6, NEX-7, NEX-C3, NEX-F3, SLT-A33, SLT-A35, SLT-A37, SLT-A55V, Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 (Camera)
I got this kit because I lost the charger that came with my camera. The original Sony charger is $60, so I figured I was ahead with just the charger here. I've had it now for about a month or so. Here's my review. The charger is good. It's a charger so it's main job is just to get the juice back in the battery. It does that just like it's supposed to. Takes about the same as the original. It does have the option to use a car charger to charge it which is nice.

The build quality is a bit on the cheap side. It's not the nice flexible plastics that you general see from OEMs, but it's not so cheap that I worry about it breaking. Overall, it's good for the price.

The batteries however, that's a different story. Not that I'm complaining much, but they are not quite as good as you think they will be. The claim to be 1300mAh batteries. The original battery that comes with my SLT-a33 is a 1050 mAh battery rated for about 390 shots. I've had decent luck with it and could easily see 400 shots or more. So you might expect that these batteries are going to last longer. You'd be wrong. The difference is that the Sony battery holds the charge when you are not using it. So you can take 20 shots. Wait a day and it's still the way you left it. These don't work that way. They drain at a pretty constant rate in the camera or out. So I charged them up to 100%. Then set them aside for a couple days and came back to completely dead batteries. As I'm using them, I can actually see the charge draining. I figure I can get about 150-200 shots per battery if they are both fully charged when I start. But keep in mind, with only one charger you can only charge one battery to 100%. the other will start dying as soon as you take it off the charger. All in all, I figure I have about 800 shots on 3 batteries if I start with full batteries. If I wait a few days between charges, I have one decent battery (the sony) and 2 half dead batteries that might get me 200 shots between them.

The charger is great, the batteries are not so great. But for $40, I'm still ahead of buying the Sony charger, and I have a couple "reserve tank" batteries if my main one dies at the wrong time. Overall, I gave the kit 3 stars because the batteries are dragging the set down. Honestly the charger is worth the $40 and think of the batteries as icing, or toss them if you don't want them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great deal! Now works with SONY NEX-5N, October 8, 2011

Wasabi battery pack is a great deal. It includes two batteries, a recharger, a car charger and European plug converter for the price that is less than the price of one original SONY NP-FW50 rechargeable battery.

I charged one of the Wasabi battery in the SONY recharger and one in Wasabi recharger (see attached photo), and they both charged successfully in similar amount of time.

The camera accepted the battery and work well.

One note on the Wasabi charger design. I am attaching a photo of it to illustrate this point. The battery charger has thin plastic arms extending upwards to hold the battery in the charger. These arms extend up about 1/2 inch from the body of the charger. They are not collapsible. This seem to be a fragile point in the charger especially if you travel with this recharger. Thin plastic parts are likely to break as the luggage is tossed around in transit. Without them the battery will not make proper contact to be recharged.

* Compatibility

Sony has a special chip in every battery. So even though the batteries are NP-FW50, they are chipped for different versions. The older version of NP-FW50 compatible batteries do not work in SONY NEX-5N. When buying a non-OEM battery make sure your SONY NEX-5N is explicitly listed on the compatibility list.

I normally do not comment on sellers in a product review, but in this case I think the comment is relevant. The first battery pack I received did not have the new chip and was not compatible with my camera. Blue Nook, the company that produces Wasabi battery, was extremely responsive. Not only the return to Amazon was painless (as it always is with Amazon), in parallel with the return Blue Nook took the initiate to contact me and send me a replacement battery pack that worked perfectly. I was very impressed with Blue Nook's customer service. Blue Nook told me that the stock of old NP-FW50 has ran out, and the batteries that are currently available are the new batch that is compatible with SONY NEX-5N. I would have no hesitation buying another product from this company. They really take care of their customers.

Ali Julia review

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Service and Great Battery, February 10, 2011
I seldom take time to write reviews, however, for this one, I think it is right for me to share my experience.

Before purchase I read alot of negative comments about these 3rd party batteries. Well I'm worried, really, but for the price and with the charger, I took the chance.

The item did not arrive on time, due to the forwarder's fault, and Bluenook's service staff, Marc, is exceptional in his service, tried ways and means to contact me, through email, phone and even through skype, even though the reception with Skype and my Iphone 4 (worse in reception due to antenna issue) are just terrible, Marc is patient and work only with one objective, that is to help me get my goods fast.

In the end, he send a separate package out directly to Singapore at his cost. (the original package arrived eventually at my consignee's place, as the forwarder eventually got it right, I'm now trying to arrange to return the item to him).

For the performance of the batteries, both fitted perfectly, perhaps Marc had helped quality check the 2 batteries before sending.

The charge is better than SONY's one, as it can also be charged on the go with car adaptor!!

Battery capacity, in my opinion (not scientific), it is better than my original SONY.

My original SONY battery level in %, reduces if I leave it in my A55 for 3 to 4 days. I'm very surprised!! these never happened to any of my SONY battery, A350, F828, F717, all the batteries remain full or the same level where I left them on the shelf even for weeks!!! But not for this SONY battery, perhaps, it is a lemon which I need to claim warranty.

having said this. Wasabi Power battery have not exhibited such problem in both the battery, they fitted snugly. Perhaps I'm the lucky one, I got 2 perfect batteries, and didn't experience those complains where they need to insert shims to make contact work.

Well, I just finished a 2D1N trip, I used both the wasabi battery, and I left the SONY as a backup now.

I think The price is really a steal!! Ppl with NEX3,5 and A33,55, should not miss this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wasabi Battery Blew Up & Ignited Fire - Buyer Beware!, September 14, 2013
I purchased 2 new Wasabi Battery sets. The first set worked OK, batteries charged properly. About to go on a trip, I thought I'd recharge the other new set of batteries , everything seemed to be working fine while charging, but suddenlyI heard an huge "BOOM" and noticed flames on my kitchen counter and red hot debris in the surrounding area and floor. Dark black smoke/horrible smell/debris/soot all around, like a bomb went off. The battery shot out of the charger, basically "blew up" burned the counter and the kitchen floor. Very shocking and horrifying experience. Good thing we were home to put out the flames, otherwise the house could have burned down.

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING!!!! EXPLODED!!! With FLAMES!!!! DANGEROUS!!!!!!, January 12, 2014
This is only my 4th review I have written and never have I written a negative one!!!!! My charger just EXPLODED, I was charging battery about 2 hours I was in next room and heard loud bang. My husband was in kitchen where it exploded it shot out of the outlet about a foot and burned our counter top permanently with welts and marks!!!! Ther was an envelope on counter started on fire had we not been home I believe it would have burned our house down!!!!! I ordered this in August 2013 and charge batteries about 2-3 times per month. Our kitchen addition was done 12 years ago so we have new wiring and have never had any problems. I am so thankful we were home. If you do have this item please at least be close by just in case. I will NEVER buy a generic battery charger again!!!!! Hopefully this will save someone else with loss of material things and I shudder to think of what could have happened if we had been asleep when this happened!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tastes Great, Less Filling, March 14, 2011
I can highly recommend this package. The two batteries (Wasabi) fit the Sony a55 perfectly and work as well as the original, and the charger is GREAT. As far as I know, cannot beat the price: all this for much less that ONE battery made by Sony. The a55 eats battery power--don't leave home without an extra battery or two if you own an a55.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works in NEX-C3 and NEX-7, but don't expect better life than from the Genuine Sony product, November 26, 2012
I bought this to try in my NEX-7. I'm happy to report that it works just fine, and these batteries charge in the Sony charger and the Sony battery charges in this charger. That's handy because it comes with an auto adapter.

The bad news is that, while supposedly offering more capacity than the genuine Sony battery, they don't last as long. While shooting, life is decent. In storage, however, like sitting in your camera bag as a backup battery, these are terrible. They lose capacity quickly while sitting without use.

If you need a backup battery, I'd recommend spending the extra for a genuine one. If you just need batteries that'll work for cheap and you're proactive about keeping these charged, then they're not a bad deal!

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesnt works on Nex 7, March 17, 2012
I bought it for my A55 and Nex 7, it works great on my A55 but in the Nex 7 gets INCOMPATIBLE BATTERY error, only works for 5 seconds and it should work in both systems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Just Another Cheap Chinese Battery & Charger, October 10, 2011
There are a myriad of cheap Chinese made Batteries & Chargers currently offered in the market ranging from a few dollars (literally), to 30ish+ dollars. I as so many others, have been disappointed in what I purchased - and like so many others - figuring I could save money with these cheaper offerings. But disappointment after disappointment with very poor quality had me wise up, so I no longer buy the cheap junk. This unit however, has received some very good reviews, so I took a chance one more time. BINGO - this unit/product has very good batteries that take and hold a charge nicely. They utilize Japanese/made Cells, and are assembled in China (of course). The Charger actually works well, and is made better than other brands whose physical appearance seems to be exactly the same. This WASABI works, do not be afraid to purchase this combination unit for your SONY Camera product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with Sony NEX-C3, February 20, 2012
I just got back from a vacation and these batteries worked really well. For the price, the Wasabi battery and charger worked as described. I have a Sony NEX-C3 camera which seems to have trouble reading non-Sony branded batteries. The Wasabi batteries worked flawlessly and seem to hold a charge as good as the Sony brand. The fit perfectly and have a good weight to them. The only thing I noticed was the connector is slightly different from Sony's, so you'll have to use their charger. Can't go wrong with these.

Rate and Discover Movies