Washburn WD25 Series WD25SCE Acoustic Electric Guitar
Price:$449.00 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on December 23, 2011
These Washburn guitars are great for the cost.

Mine was received with very minor problem. The saddle was slightly off position.
Guitar was playable, but I wanted a really good one. Seller worked with washburn to
give me a prepaid UPS shipping label - I returned it at no cost to me.

The replacement one I got was beautiful. Sound quality is superb, both acoustically and through an amp.

Their quality control could be better, but once you get a well-built one - these are outstanding instruments.
on November 22, 2011
Verified Purchase
Rats! I really wanted this guitar, really wanted it.

Yet it arrived with a very warped neck and a broken tuning machine (peg). So, it had to go back. It cost 55 dollars to return this guitar. So now, I'm out over fifty bucks with nothing to show for it. Drat.

Now, let me mention that the seller (a major distributor in Pennsylvania) told me he sold over 4,000 of these Washburn guitars and this was the first one that was returned. I have no reason to disbelieve him on that topic. And it's only fair to mention that the seller was cooperative with the return and refund, but would not help pay for the return costs. I suppose that's just the risk with on-line shopping.

About the guitar; it was really nice. It sounded good (considering it could only be played on 5 strings AND only on frets 4 thru 10) really good. It was really a good-looking guitar as well. It had built-in tuner, cutaway, preamp, all the stuff one would want. The rosewood was surprisingly nice as well.

I have played Washburn guitars at a local guitar stop and I'm impressed. Although the guitars cost TWICE as much as Amazon sells them for.

Just a suggestion: If you have to return (or just ship) a guitar, I don't think USPS is the way to go. They charge for oversize and such. I'd suggest you might consider FedEx or UPS. That's a lesson I learned the hard way.

I suspect you'll love this guitar if you get a proper one. I wish you the best of luck with whatever you come home with.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 25, 2011
Verified Purchase
I have wanted to learn how to play guitar since I was a kid, but life happened and the idea took to the back burner. Now that I have a kid in college I decided it's time. As a beginner, I couldn't justify the expense of a Martin or Taylor, so I did a little research and decided on this Washburn as a reasonably priced starter guitar. I believe I made the right choice. The guitar looks and sounds much better than the $300 price tag would suggest. I can't imagine needing to upgrade for quite some time as this instrument is better than just decent. If you have the chance to try one out, I'm sure you'll agree. I no longer feel so bad about not starting out with a Martin DC-28E!

UPDATE!

I'm sorry to say I had to return this guitar. As I said in my initial review, this looked and sounded great. Being a beginner, I freely admit that I have no experience evaluating musical instruments. As I was practicing the few simple chords I have learned so far, I thought that the buzzing sound I was getting from various frets was simply the result of my inexperience and soft, virgin fingertips. The other day I took the guitar to a local musician, who was kind enough to take me on as a student. He opened the case and agreed it was a nice looking piece. It took him quite awhile, I'd say three, maybe four whole seconds, to gasp in horror at what he referred to as gross negligence on behalf of the quality control department at Washburn. Picking up the guitar and looking down the neck toward the head, he noticed that it was significantly bowed, and had a right hand twist to it. He said that it was common for a new guitar to have a little play in the neck, and that most need to be tweaked to some degree. This one was so bad that he couldn't believe they let it out of the factory. He said it was beyond the ability to straighten through mere truss rod manipulation, and even if it were, there wasn't much that could be done, if anything, about the twist. This is obviously unacceptable, and I sent it back the next day.

I understand that this is an inexpensive guitar. What I don't understand is how Washburn could put their name on something with such shoddy workmanship. I said as much to him and he responded that he didn't believe that Washburn was an inferior brand, but, like most larger companies, don't put much emphasis on quality in their lower priced offerings. Sending it back for a replacement may simply mean that I get another one with a straight neck, but suffering from some other shortcoming. In a nutshell, you get what you pay for.

I will not be purchasing another guitar from Washburn. I will be doing more thorough research before my next purchase. I still don't believe that one needs to spend a grand before getting a decent product, but if this is what you can expect for three hundred bucks, I'll be looking for a product in maybe the five hundred dollar range. He recommended I look at some of the non-electric offerings by Eastman. That may just be the way to go.
on May 28, 2012
Verified Purchase
Have had this guitar for a month and it's a keeper.

Initially it had a buzz at the first fret and a local luthier pointed out that the neck appeared to be slightly twisted. However after a week of constant humidification both these issues disappeared. Hopefully permanently, but so far so good.

The construction is tight. All joints are smooth without gaps. The top is straight-grained with a couple minor variations but I wouldn't consider them to be flaws. The sides & back are beautiful. No stray adhesive. Tuning machines are smooth. Bone nut and compensating saddle. The truss rod required only minor adjustment. Action is great. It does not have an upper strap button. The abalone is a little too flashy for a guy's guitar but I'll put up with it.

It's got a beautiful full sound with plenty of presence. The bass is deep and articulate. Found the treble a little lacking with light strings but medium strings seem to bring out a more balanced tone overall.

The tuner has a little trouble locking onto the 5th & 6th strings. It sounds very clear through an amp and the controls permit more than enough flexibility.

Overall a very nice guitar for the price. I suspect Amazon doesn't maintain proper humidity in their warehouse because of the neck issue and because the spruce top had a corduroy surface when it first arrived. Overall I'd definitely recommend this guitar, or if you're not a fan of abalone, the WD20SCE.
on April 12, 2013
Verified Purchase
This guitar is such a surprise and sounds amazing. The finish and details are really beautiful and the guitar has a full, rich, resonant tone to it. I think this guitar is a hidden gem among acoustic guitars as it's sound is far better than the price would suggest. I have no complaints at all except that they should raise the price a bit and include a case.
on March 7, 2013
Verified Purchase
I took the risk of buying a guitar online (not being able to try it out first). But what a very pleasant surprise this guitar is! Very well made; nice low and fast action; great overall sound; availability of a good quality pickup (Fishman no less) including tone EQ and volume; and built-in tuner. Bought it as an addition to my Martin D-35 (which lacks a pickup) -- and my conclusion is that the overall sound, playability and quality comes very close to the Martin which is 6 times as expensive... Three very minor points are that a. no case is included, and b. there is no strap button at the heel close to the neck, and c. it lacks a pick guard, but these issues can be easily solved, of course. I have seen this guitar in other outlets (Guitar Center, eBay) for much higher prices than the $275.- I have paid here on Amazon.
on March 14, 2012
I purchased a Washburn 12 string Tanglewood in 1980. A support under the soundboard snapped and I took it in for repair. LIFETIME WARRANTY. The fixed it beautifuly and tweaked it as well. Recently my mom passed and I found a stray 900 bucks in her estate. I decided to buy a guitar for my daughter AND myself (2 guitars) so we went to a local store to play a variety of guitars. Prior to that visit, I have played Taylors, Martins, Breedloves and others. In fact one Breedlove I went to see (Craigs List) was GORGEOUS, but there was no depth to it and the intonation was WAY off. NO SALE!
So we got to the store last weekend and played a Taylor that was too bright, not enough lower end coming through. Probably because of the ash sides and back, not rosewood. We then played a number of other brands and when we played the Washburn WD25, we were BLOWN AWAY! The intonation was spot on PERFECT! Thast usually drives me CRAZY, but this guitar was right on for intonation. The construction was spot on as well. Washburn buys more wood than any other single company on the planet, including furniture companies, baseball bat companies, etc. There is a reason for that. They sell a whole lot of guitars! If they made crappy instruments and did not stand behind them, they wouldn't have to buy all that wood now would they? Their guitars have a LIFETIME WARRANTY, so unless you die, take it back for repair or replacement.
Also, the action you have pointed out sounds like the tension rod was set too stiff, pushing the neck back too far and creating buzz because the strings are too close to the neck. There also may have been what is called 14th fret buzz caused by the guitar being dried out rapidly, like if you left it too close to a heat register at your home or didn't keep a huidifier in the case with the instrument. If the neck was warpedoutward as your friend said, there would not have been a buzz. Ergo, the rod simply needed to be lessened or backed off a bit, or the 14th fret area needed to be worked on, both items under warranty for life and are easy fixes.
To right a review as a beginner guitarist is kind of like putting Obama in charge of oil production, American Pride or actually anything for that matter! He needs to be FIRED RIGHT AWAY. HOWEVER.... Since I started playing in 1967 and have a wall full of guitars, most of which I have done my own work on, so I thought I would come to the rescue of the good folks at Washburn. Not that they need my rescue- they make a hell of a guitar and sell them at bargain prices. This weekend I am buying 2, one for my daughter and another for me. Both WD25SCEs. They sound and play every bit as good as my friends $2600 Taylor, and they look GREAT too. I'm getting not one but BOTH for $638+tax. Thanks mom. Say hi to dad and the grand parents for me. Hope they have Washburns in heaven!
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations