5.0 out of 5 stars Get a peak under the tent of PNW farmers and Chefs who love them!, April 25, 2012
This review is from: Washington Food Artisans: Farm Stories and Chef Recipes (Hardcover)
this is a real peak under the tent of Northwest farmers; And if you like food and you want to get the inside track on how some of the best chefs use local ingredients this book is a must for your library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to the Village Green, August 19, 2012
While I have more food and cookbooks than I care to count, I can't say I've read anything like this one, which is composed of a collection of essays, interviews, recipes, along with a cornucopia of pictures of Seattle and Washington food.

In some ways Washington Food Artisans is a hyper local and personal fusion of the slow food and locavore social and food movements that so much has been written about. But Ms. Bloom's book goes a step or two further, discussing not only her local Seattle food scene, but actually going out and interviewing many of the people bringing food from the farmer's markets and local restaurants that she habituates. The stories and lives of the people bring home a warm human connection.

There are some key components that elevate this book from others of its ilk. Ms. Bloom is obviously deeply in love with her subjects and is a delightful storyteller; her affection shining through in deftly sketching quick written watercolors of the farmers, chefs, animals and food that make up her tales. And while obviously there are many beautifully illustrated and photographed cookbooks out there, I was taken with the more personal and less staged images here; the photographer Clare Barboza captured the essence of the text in a series of matching muted matte color photos throughout.

This book reminds me of a quiet country hillside; nothing at all remarkable at first blush. But it seems that perhaps a few more people should sit and listen to that same nothing, that we should all drink in the coolness of the grass, feel the wind across our faces and get just a bit more reconnected. If you're looking for a bunch a recipes on the latest food craze you should definitely go elsewhere. But if not, there's a lot to love about that hillside.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow what a unique Northwest gem, May 3, 2012
From the moment your eyes fall on this book-the tummy will start rumbling.This is one of the most beautifully written book I have ever seen. From the in depth personal stories from local artisans to the wonderful recipies from local well know chefs to the magnificent photo's through out the book-this is a must have for anyone who loves their food-and the Northwest as much as I do. The amount of detail in each story paints a very compelling story about how locally grown products make it from the ground to the tables of our local farmers markets.
Buy it,read it,use the recpies and give it to you friends as a gift-all actions will bring much joy
Well done Ms Bloom-and thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars Really neat book!, May 1, 2012
An incredible book with vibrant stories and pictures that forge the connection between what we eat, where it comes from and how it gets to the table. The recipes are straightforward and relatively simple (even for someone who doesn't particularly enjoy cooking, like me). Throughout the book, stories from the farmers are woven with recipes and anecdotes from local Pacific Northwest chefs. A gem of a book!

5.0 out of 5 stars So THAT'S why it tastes so good!, April 26, 2012
RAG (Wilmington, DE, US) - See all my reviews
This beautiful collection of essays, recipes and pictures is easily my new best friend. It is a reminder that food does not grow in plastic bags, but is the result of effort, experience and patient commitment on the part of the farmers and gatherers, as well as the chefs. Whether from the sea, the earth, or the kitchen, the magnificence of what we see on plates set before us takes a team to create the sort of passion that pours from this book.
The recipes look detailed but simple, and I cannot wait to try them.
Washington State boasts an array of wineries, fisheries, flower farms, fruit farms, vegetable farms, poultry and animal farms, and a self-sustaining natural environment that an informed forager can carefully exploit. This book gives a fresh view of this North West corner of the country. For those of us who are not lucky enough to live there, these stories are like a tour guide to a foreign land, and, for those who do live here, they give inspiration to enjoy the best that America offers.
A food book for every library!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious!, April 26, 2012
I can't decide which is more mouth watering: the pictures or the recipes. I read this book cover to cover last night and not only does it make for a terrific read on buying local and the people behind the food we eat, but the recipes look fantastic -- in other words, specific, but not too complicated. I especially like it that the author tells you what steps you really shouldn't skip (I need that). It was also a really good read -- I felt like I was strolling through the farms with a large wicker basket on my arm, picking up anything that struck my fancy. This book is really for anybody who likes to cook and/eat and especially likes to know what they're eating and where it came from. I can't wait to cook from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful stories, pictures and recipes, April 25, 2012
First a disclaimer: Leora Bloom is a friend and an amazing chef. I rush to her house for a meal whenever I'm invited and sometimes when I'm not invited.

Even if you'll never have the opportunity to eat at Leora's you should buy this book for three reasons. One, Leora is a fantastic story teller. Whether she's describing Donna Westom shooting mushrooms out of trees with her grandson or Hilario Alvarez's decision to farm organically to protect his customer and farm workers, her producer stories are compelling and informative.

Second, the recipes, provided by some of the best Northwest chefs, are delicious. My favorites include Tom Douglas' Yakima Peppers Peperonata with Chanterelles, Washington Cherry Gazpacho from Canlis chef, Jason Franey, and Chef Mark Fuller's Dinah's Cheese with Caraway Onions.

Finally, the pictures are gorgeous. Even if this book never makes it off the coffee table (a shame, in my opinion), it will inform and delight.

4.0 out of 5 stars For foodies and non-foodies alike, August 26, 2012
4.5 stars Wonderful stories of the folks who toil to ensure fresh, health ingredients are available for our tables. From lavender to honey bees to cattle to shellfish, these farmers tell us how they came to live their passion. The recipes which follow each section come from chefs in some of Washington's finest restaurants; my only complaint is that the majority are from Seattle. Why not include more from other parts of the state? A great book for those interested in sustainable agriculture and cooking, as well as for readers looking for beautiful pictures and engrossing text.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have changed the way I look at food!, May 12, 2012
This is a beautiful collection of artistic photos, inspirational / informative biographies and wonderful recipes all centered around people who dedicate their lives to producing food in the state of Washington.
I must admit that this book has changed the way I look at food. First of all, I now take time to consider where the food came from and how long it has taken it to get to market. Equality important is that I now consider who the farmer is and who is affected when I make my purchase.
This book is a pleasure to read and brings to life the stories of local Washington farmers; what they do and why they do it. These are passionate people who deserve our support. I for one have begun seeking out local farmers markets where my dollars can stay in the region. This is an important book to me. I am so pleased to have a copy and feel that it would make a excellent gift as well!

5.0 out of 5 stars fabulous, March 18, 2014
Such a beautiful book to look through - the photos are gorgeous! And the recipes REALLY work! Delicious and unique stuff that is well within the talents of beginners - but has enough substance to keep more experienced home chefs enthralled. I love it!

Washington Food Artisans: Farm Stories and Chef Recipes
Washington Food Artisans: Farm Stories and Chef Recipes by Clare Barboza (Hardcover - April 24, 2012)
$35.00 $25.80