5.0 out of 5 stars Great "Landscape" Style Maps
Published on June 18, 2005 by J. Whiteside

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor binding
Page 39,40 and 89,90 were not bound into book. Map is well laid out but binding is poor. The atlas will not last.
Published on January 6, 2013 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great "Landscape" Style Maps, June 18, 2005
I moved to Washington recently and needed to get some good paper maps of the area. Though I have all the USGS maps of the pacific NW, I find the "landscape" style mapping of these types of maps extremely useful and more up-to-date than many USGS quads. I debated between the well-known Delorme and Benchmark. Benchmark won with better detail, easier to read maps, better recreation details, and the fact they're a Pacific NW company.

This map book has large-format maps for the entire state, US map, a full state map, and a pacific NW map. Map details are complete including roads, "off" roads, trails, mountain elevations, place names, political lines, and others. It also has great sections for recreation (camping, hiking, fishing, local attractions, and others), climate data, and other nice details about the areas. Navigation with GPS is made easy by 7'30" latitude and longitude sections.

I do wish the scale was a little smaller - finding trails and off-the-beaten-path roads can be difficult in particularly busy areas. I also desired more accurate elevation details - the scale seems to clump 8,000' and 14,000' peaks together. Overall, these are excellent maps and should help any outdoor lover find their way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than Any Foldable Map, November 17, 2008
This review is from: Washington Road & Recreation Atlas (Benchmark Map: Washington Road & Recreation Atlas) (Paperback)
I have purchased both the Washington and Oregon Benchmark Road & Recreation Atlas. These are indispensable if you are going to new places that are off an Interstate Highway. The level of detail is perfect for any outdoors person. Shown are virtually every public campground, forest road, river, stream, and boat launch, and even towns with populations of 50 and less. The editors thought the atlas through so that ANYONE can use it immediately upon receipt. I will never go back to folding maps. An excellent atlas!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great help, September 8, 2008
U.C. (Niedersachsen) - See all my reviews
Just back from vacation - this was great help. I liked having all the campgrounds on there plus seeing where the mountains are etc. Definitely recommend it. Just the size is not very handy...but it doesn't matter too much, if you have it in your car all the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much Better than its Competitors, April 16, 2011
Artist & Author (Near Mt. Baker, WA) - See all my reviews
These Benchmark atlases are much better than their compeitiors. A tip: I take out the staples and then slice (with a sharp knife) the pages apart, taking care to keep them in order. The cover (not separated) acts like a file folder. Then, when I am going camping or traveling in a certain area, I photocopy those section on my color copier. That way, I can write notes on it if I want, and it is much easier to handle in the car and it's certainly easier to carry on a trail. Even if you don't photocopy a section, it is easier to handle the separated pages unless you do all your map reading on the kitchen table. [When I get home, if my copy has surivied the trip, I throw it away, knowing I have the original if I should ever need another.]

4.0 out of 5 stars Best WA atlas out there, June 28, 2013
Some folks complained about receiving an older edition. My atlas is the 2013 Sixth Edition, so no worries as of June 2013. It replaces a 15 year old edition that was finally starting to self destruct through very hard use.

I use these Benchmark altlases for exploring very minor secondary paved and dirt roads when traveling across the state. My gps is hopeless for finding small roads since the detail shifts and turns them off if you back out beyond 0.8 miles scale .... and that scale doesn't show enough of the surrounding area to be at all useful. The atlas shows ALL the roads, even the primitive farm tracks that get you stuck in springtime, and also shows a very large area, so situational awareness ("Where the heck AM I?") is easy to maintain.

I like to use little strips of colored sticky note to mark pages to find them easily later, and also smaller scraps to mark waypoints (intersections) so I can see at a glance on the current map where I next need to turn. It acts sort of like a paper gps but it doesn't get confused..... The sticky paper is easily removed and doesn't damage the map itself.

The Delorme atlases are hopeless. These are great. I gave this book 4 stars because there is still lots of room for improvement.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

5.0 out of 5 stars Benchmark map books, August 22, 2009
These are absolutely the best map books around. Easy to find places you want to visit and all the roads and sights along the way. We don't travel without them!

5.0 out of 5 stars 5th addition now being shipped, December 15, 2012
I was pleasantly surprised to receive the 5th and latest edition of the Washington St. Road and Recreation Atlas. I was perfectly happy with the older 2007 edition, but it got left out in the rain once too often, and unfortunately it's not waterproof. I spend a lot of time exploring the Gifford Pinchot and while this atlas is not a replacement for the more detailed National Forest Service maps from the NPS, it's an invaluable aid for trip planning and getting to the point where the more detailed maps become necessary.

5.0 out of 5 stars this is edition 6, 2013, not 2007 as listed, YAY!, July 13, 2013
Love it! We have an old, similar book from 1995. Too many changes to keep using it. This new one is easy to use, easy to read and has all the info we were looking for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent atlas really like the format!, August 12, 2011
G. Cooper (Vancouver, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
Very, very happy with this Atlas. Excellent detail, large pages that " over lap " the next so it is very easy to follow from page to page. I'm a bit of a map nut, I like to know the lay of the land and I really found this one top shelf. I wish Benchmark would consider doing one for British Columbia! It is that good. 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best WA atlas on the market!, June 16, 2011
ozlow289 (Washington, USA) - See all my reviews
I got this atlas for my boyfriend, and we both love it! We have previously used DeLorme and I would have to say Benchmark really out does them. If you want to be able to get way back in the woods, then this is your book.

$22.95 $18.08