Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

on November 1, 2009
I've been a widower for two years. Over this time, I've read many books on grief. This is the best I've seen. It does a comprehensive job of touching on the many types of loss, and offers helpful suggestions for coping. Something I particularly liked was that it doesn't rely on religious platitudes as a solution for grief. Rather, the authors encourage you to vent your anger at your creater - he (or she) is big enough and compassionate enough to take it.

I would suggest this book to anyone who is dealing with grief. It doesn matter whether the loss just occurred, or is several years old.
11 comment|110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 7, 2012
I lost my husband to suicide, and this book was my very best friend . Very easy to understand, and have read it several times
on February 25, 2010
Buy this book now. One day, you or someone you love deeply will need it. By giving the book to someone who needs it, you will be able to help them when they need it most. By owning the book yourself, you will be able to anticipate the needs of the freshly bereaved. I will be giving this book frequently. This book came a year after my loved one's death, and it was still a huge help. It's a breath of fresh air in the grief genre. How I wish I'd had it when I was going through the first weeks and months. Even this far out, it has helped me immeasurably. I have lost most of my family in the last 20 years. I lost my spouse last year.
PLEASE. Get and read this book, and give copies to the newly bereaved. They will thank you, no, BLESS you for it.
0Comment|99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 25, 2012
I've struggled for months with what appeared to be a mid-life crisis. In researching how to get through it, I tracked the source down to delayed grief. I lost my brother in 1995 and my dad in 2000 in very similar auto accidents. I don't think I ever grieved them properly and it surfaced in my forties. This book is one of the ones I found to address my particular situation.

This is a well written guidebook to carry anyone through the experience of losing a close loved one suddenly. It contains sections dealing with specific losses such as: a spouse or partner, a sibling, suicide, mass death (such as terrorism), fallen heroes, and others. Each section is thoughtful and helpful. It also has a wonderful portion of the book carrying the reader step by step through the immediate aftermath of sudden death. The back couple chapters are dealing with additional resources and activities to help with grief work.

The authors of this book have both dealt with sudden death themselves. Part of what I found most useful was reading the sections they wrote about their personal situations. I'm still working on the back exercises. I think that will take a while. I wish I'd had this book in 1995 when I lost my brother. Even though my grief was delayed by decades, I am still finding it helpful. Grief is a very individual experience that nobody except the person inside your head will ever understand. These authors have written a resource to help you find your way through that deep, dark forest into the light again. I recommend it to anyone who's experienced a sudden death. I'll keep my copy when I'm finished to hand on to the first person I know who needs it. It helps.
on October 28, 2009
Thank you so much for a wonderful book. I wish I had found out about this title sooner into my grieving process. 10months ago I lost my best friend, husband, and a wonderful man from Cancer. I have felt like at times that I am going quite mad during the process of grief and to read this book has been a godsend to me. I know now that it is not me going mad but all part of the grieving process. It has allowed me to release a lot of pain and hurt that has been forwarded by "well meaning" friends and relatives. I now more understand how the mind works during this time and it is OK to feel just the way I am. I am not mad, I am not going crazy, I am not putting too many demands on myself or those around me. It is all normal and I am allowed to take my time during the process. Thank you for your words of wisdom and compassion. I would recommend this book to everyone, wether you are grieving or not. One day you may need it for yourself or someone close to you.

Sharon Clark. Melbourne Australia.
on August 29, 2011
Everyone experiencing the sudden death of a loved one needs to get this book. When I lost my husband of 15 years to sudden cardiac arrest, I had no idea what to do or what was to come. This book helps you every step of the way. It also helps the people close to you to know what to do and what not to do to help you. I wish I had found this book right after my husband died but unfortunately I didn't even know it existed. I came accross this book several months after he died. After reading several chapters I realized Yes, that is how I feel or Ok, so I'm not crazy. It helped me recognize that all of the physical as well as emotional things I was feeling and going through were perfectly normal in this situation. It also helps you recognize if you need to seek professional counseling. Whether you have just experienced the death recently or a while ago, this book will help you wherever you are in your journey to healing.
on October 11, 2012
I lost my fiancee suddenly on 6/24/12. He was away working when we got the call. I was in a bad place about 2 months after he died because I had been stuffing everything inside. I wanted people to think I was OK, but I wasn't. It hit me out of nowhere and next thing I knew I was on the internet not knowing what I was looking for when the title to this book appeared! It has truly been a lifesaver. It has let me know it is OK to grieve and I don't have to "get over it" as I was told by someone. This book helps to not feel like your going crazy and to let it come out how you need it to. I HIGHLY recommend this book to anyone who has suddenly lost a loved one, it lets you know your not alone and to feel alright about how you feel at any particular time.
on March 4, 2014
After five years having passed since the tragic sudden death of my son, the pain is with our family everyday. It does not get better, it just changes. We have read many books, and attended several grieving groups, with mixed results. Although we have survived the first year, we continue to be told that we have "excessive grief" and have been been told that we need to "get over it and move on". Those of us who suffered this tragedy live in a different world and always will. This is one of the few books that absolutely "gets it".
on December 26, 2013
I'm in my twenties, and both my parents passed away unexpectedly. Along with a ton of other support, this book has helped me a great deal. I bought it hoping it would quicken my progress of "moving on" from my overwhelming grief. It hasn't helped me "move on" more quickly, it has shown me that my thoughts and emotions are understandable, justified, and common among people that experience all types of unexpected losses.

This book puts to rest questions like, 'Is what I'm feeling normal?'; or 'Is how I'm feeling normal?'

What this book revealed to me was how much energy I was using by focusing on my inability to 'recover'. That fear of not being able to "get over it". My self-perceived lack of recovery frightened me from exploring and internalizing the details of the tragedy. The concept of a time-frame for "moving on", the book shows, is unhelpful and unhealthy. There's grief, memories, even searing confusion, but all are a piece to the process. The grief I carry with me, I know it must be directly proportional to my parent's love. Instead of running away from those emotions, I now carry them with me. The memories, even the difficult ones, they belong to me. They are defining moments that help me travel this journey.

I felt really lost and disconnected for a while, and this book has been a profound and important part of finding myself again.
on October 14, 2009
Very thoughtful and kind. Many things were explained here. So much can happen in just seconds. Most people don't talk about it even in a casual seating. I am a widow of a soldier, there is not enough words I can type that could describe the kind of man he was the good he had done in his life time the devastation this caused for all who knew and loved him. The joys and laughter he enflicked to others, the strength he shared to his family. The courage he demanded for his Army Units. Just to suddenly stop. I was brave and held my pride for him as he would want me to. Then the silence of it all. I always wondered if I did good. This book acknowledge all that was there and hidden and what is to come. I was joyfully commended of my reactions and unknown expectations. It won't ever be easy, but at least I have a clue and it's not so scary. This book explained a lot, an open eye to so much more that no one will talk about. It also opened my heart with ease and strength to face a journey on my own. The most concern for me was how do I raise my children without daddy. DL