‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Critique of alienation in industrial society, July 5, 1998
By A Customer
After almost half a century, I have come to realize that this book, the first one I read all by myself, has had a profound influence on my world view. I can still remember a number of the wonderful illustrations.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book for children, clever illustrations., October 28, 1997
By A Customer
A book that teaches the importance of knowing who you are and the fact that others may think they know you but really don't. It shows the importance of the sense of self, an important lesson for young people. It does this without preaching, with good humor and illustrations that have many objects for children, and adults, to discover. The illustrations in this reprint are unfortunatly slightly cropped from the original book with some loss of content.

5.0 out of 5 stars An all time personal favorite, May 20, 1999
By A Customer
This book has been a personal favorite ever since I can remember. I make sure to read it to any child that visits my house. My affinity to the material and the subtile presentation of the importance of being an individual was a clear indication of my political orientation from a very early age. I'm so glad that I can now get copies for the next generation to take home and cherish.

4.0 out of 5 stars Old favorite, finally back in print, March 11, 2010
This review is from: The Bear That Wasn't (New York Review Books Children's Collection) (Hardcover)
This book has been a great favorite in my family since my parents received a copy in the late 1940's. I am delighted that it has finally been reprinted! However, I am disappointed that the binding in this edition cuts off part of some of the wonderful illustrations, especially those of the offices of the factory bosses, which take up two pages. In the Third Vice President's office the foreman is almost completely buried in the binding, as is the Third Vice President in both the Second Vice President's and the First Vice President's offices. Otherwise, I am very happy with this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Among the Great American Children's Books for Grownups Ever, June 7, 2010
Greysolon (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
Frank Tashlin's 1946 masterpiece is a witty parable of modern times embedded in superbly executed drawings of satirical whimsy at once pungent and sweetly evocative. Inexplicably out of print for decades, this gem of a book is handsomely reprinted by NYRB in an edition that surpasses the original in manufacture. If your children (or grandchildren) of about seven or above are lucky, you will share this terrific book with them often for the grand experience great books provide. And pretty soon, someone in the family will chuckle at a peculiar event, and say with a smile, "He's not a bear, he's a silly man who needs a shave and wears a fur coat!" And you will reply with a broader smile, "But I AM a bear!" Because you are not a silly person who didn't buy this book RIGHT NOW!

5.0 out of 5 stars "The Bear" is the best, January 22, 2007
This review is from: The bear that wasn't, (Hardcover)
This book and "The Giving Tree" are the 2 best books ever written. My father read "The Bear" to me when I was young, and when I was in high school he found a copy that he gave to me and inscribed, "Read this often to remind you that who you are is who you are, and that's not bad." 20 years later, I still do.

5.0 out of 5 stars A non-delusional bear, July 20, 2004
Sheila Michaels (St. Louis, MOed States) - See all my reviews
One of my all-time favorites. Right up there with "Ferdinand, The Bull", as cutting the crap about childhood. For, however much they tried to brainwash the bear, he comes to accept that he was a bear, after all, no matter what the world tried to tell him. I regret that, by reducing the format, Dover has lessened the impact of the illustrations; which kept me enthralled for hours. They are immensely detailed. Also, one wonders if this was not something of an allegory for sophisticates, as Frank Tashlin was a sophisticated Hollywood writer of great note.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Parallel with the Island of Yap, January 11, 2011
This was the first book that I remember reading with "bigger words" 65 years ago. While filming a documentary on the Island of Yap in the Federated States of Micronesia (then the United States Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands), I suddenly realized that the "20th Century" was trying to impose its lifestyle upon these gentle people. The grass skirts for the women were giving way to the use of bras in the district center. This book is as deep as any ocean!

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST Children's Book, December 13, 2001
Vickie Trimbach (Dayton, Ohio USA) - See all my reviews
This is an amazing book that will teach your children to have confidence in themselves... and make them laugh at the same time. It also has an underlying message stressing the importance of our environment. I truly believe that every child should have this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a great fable!, December 29, 2012
It's a trip through a lots of situations. The Bear That wasn't, is humoristic, satiric and hilarious book to all ages.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Bear That Wasn't (New York Review Books Children's Collection)
The Bear That Wasn't (New York Review Books Children's Collection) by Frank Tashlin (Hardcover - March 9, 2010)
$15.95 $12.91