5.0 out of 5 stars Best Disposal Value, Easy Install
This is the second garbage disposal I have had to replace (in two houses) in the last ten years. The originally-installed disposals, as well as the first replacement model I purchased, were noisemakers, to be run only when you don't need to hear the TV sound in the next room. They also were not particularly effective, as I still got plugged drains from coarsely-ground...
Published on March 29, 2010 by James C. Segrest

3.0 out of 5 stars too small!
I bought this disposer because of the excellent review that it was given by Consumer Reports. I guess it was a good value and it works well enough but it's so small that you have to dispose of stuff in small batches. The opening into the sink is so small that if something small falls into it, that's not supposed to go in there, you can't get your fingers past your...
Published on May 9, 2010 by William Perry

‹ Previous | 1 2 349 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Here Comes The King...Here Comes Number One!, April 13, 2010
Consumer Reports Magazine rated the Waste King 3300 Series a positive buy in its August 2009 Kitchen issue.

And it is a solid performer in the sink.

The Waste King is quiet. It is well designed. It is built in the USA by the Anahiem Manufacturing Company on La Palma Avenue here in SoCal; so it's local too!

A ten year guarantee and an 800 area code phone number for customer service answered by Americans in North America back it up.

And it's worth every dime I paid for it.

The only flaw is the sink stopper that comes with it. That hard plastic part has a soft rubber ring that fell out after two months.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, March 22, 2010
This review is from: Waste King L-3300 Legend Series 3/4 HP Continuous Feed Operation Garbage Disposer (Tools & Home Improvement)
We purchased the Waste King about 2 weeks ago and it seems really worthwhile. Installation was not a problem and it seems to work without a hitch. We previously had an Insinkerator, however the Waste King is significantly quieter and cheaper! It does seem to use quite a bit of water to push the food waste through. We purchased the 3/4 horsepower version, being told by a Waste King rep that 1 hp was too much for a household and 1/2 hp would be sufficient for a single person or a couple. Overall, I'd recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars So quiet! I thought it was stalled!, December 3, 2009
Glasslass (Central Valley, CA) - See all my reviews
I didn't realize how noisy my old disposal was until the first time I turned on my new WasteKing. I actually thought the new one was stalled and quickly turned it off. What a difference. It actually sounds smooth. Happy surprize!

1.0 out of 5 stars time bomb, August 6, 2013
S. YANG (Cupertino, CA) - See all my reviews
this review is specific to L-3300 model.

the flange and main body is engaged by two tiny plastic "bump" (don't know the better word to describe it), if one of them give up, the disposal will be leaking or likely will be disengaged from sink.

most garbage disposals use the whole ring and stainless steel flange and it will last forever.

the price is good, but the quality is not.

stay away from this model. pay few bucks more to get a solid-build one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clay Sink , Extended Flange, Adaptor Kit, Badger Replacement, July 19, 2010
If you are replacing an InSinkErator Badger 5 disposer with a Waste King 3300 disposer on a clay or cast iron sink requiring an extended flange, simply buy the Waste King 3300 disposer and the Waste King 3101 ISE Adapter Kit. That is all you need to get the job done. Actually, even with a regular sink install, to make the job easy and to not have to deal with removing the old flange if it is in good shape and seating a new flange with plumbers putty and all, the adapter kit would save you the trouble.

I replaced an 8 yr old InSinkErator Badger 5 disposer with a Waste King 3300 and am pleased. Although the Badger was a bit more quiet when running without food, the Waste King noise is not objectionable, although with all the foam padding surrounding the Waste King (that is why it looks so fat), it may be more quiet when grinding food and likely faster. Comparing the Badger 5 to the Waste King on the insides, the Badger seems to have a much larger hole in the grinding chamber through which the waste is discharged, which might explain why my drain kept getting clogged every 6-months or so (no pasta, veggies, rice, or bread; made that mistake years ago; just an occasional coffee ground left over in the hopper and eggshells (apparently eggshells don't dissolve with chemical drain cleaner as that is what I pulled back when routing out the clog about 60 feet down the pipe; rent the 75 ft. powered plumbers auger snake at Home Depot if you are handy. Cover it with a tarp when retracting the cable or you'll spray your kitchen with drain water from the spinning cable, learned that lesson). Ultimately I replaced the Badger due to the plastic case cracking and leaking which is a common occurrence per the other Badger reviews. I had sealed the obvious crack with JB Weld epoxy which bought me another year of life but started leaking somewhere else.

Now to the Waste King sink and flange issue. I have a Shaw clay farmer sink which required the use of an extended flange for the Badger ($100 for the standard brushed stainless steel flange), which used a 3-bolt plus rotating ring mount system (the flange is held on by the 3-bolt mount, and the disposer is held on by a rotating ring). Frankly, I had thought I had an EZ mount since it had the rotating ring; not. The EZ mount flange of the Waste King appeared in the photos to be longer and of a different design, so I was thinking that the included flange would work for my sink if it was not a direct replacement for the Badger mount. Wrong. If your sink needs or already has an extended flange, order the Waste King 3101 ISE Adapter Kit from Amazon for under nine dollars (best deal and 3-day delivery for five dollars), and your installation will be a snap. The included instructions for the adaptor kit are not clear as the assembled parts do not look like the sketches in the instructions. Go to the Waste King website and review the excellent video installation guide for the adaptor.

The included Waste King flange is a polished stainless steel sheet metal ring covering on a black plastic body. You can see the inside of the black plastic flange when looking into the drain. Not especially attractive if you have a brushed nickel faucet and a white clay sink. Polished stainless or chrome fixtures are so 70's and I would worry about scratches over time, but I'll never know. But since money is tight I was going to use it anyway, but couldn't. But now I have an old InSinkErator flange which looks like new (which is solid stainless but for $100 what do you expect) with a Waste King disposer, but at least brushed SS looks enough like brushed nickel that it blends in. After extensive search it appears that Waste King only offers an extended flange for their 3-bolt mount system which is not adaptable to the Waste King EZ mount system disposers.

Why not simply buy the 3-bolt Waste King disposer thinking that it will be a direct replacement for the Badger 3-bolt mount? Not. From the specification sheet, the Waste King 3-bolt mount doesn't look anything like the Badger 3-bolt rotating ring mount so it is not a direct fit. The Waste King 3-bolt mount system uses a hose clamp to attach the disposer to the flange, not a locking ring. Imagine tightening a hose clamp with a screw driver with one hand while holding a heavy disposer with the other hand. Forget it.

By the way, the drain discharge tube on the Waste King 3300 was the same length as on the Badger 5 so the drain plumbing connected perfectly without pipe cutting or replacing. I used the rubber dishwasher coupler and hose clamp that came with the dishwasher with the new Waste King. My coupler is simply a rubber hose that couples the rigid plastic dishwasher discharge hose to the Waste King dishwasher nipple. The Badger 5 and Waste King 3300 have the same nipple diameter (don't forget to knock out the white plug in the dishwasher nipple if you are connecting a dishwasher). You might want to check the coupler before the new disposer arrives in case it is showing it's age as it may need replacing. Besides what came in the box, I only needed plumbers putty since I tried to replace the drain flange. Otherwise, all you need to install the disposer is a flat head screw driver for assemblying the discharge elbow to the disposer and for loosening and tightening the Badger ring, assuming your drain pipe is plastic and can be loosened and tightened by hand.

Is all of this trouble worth buying the Waste King versus just getting another Badger at HD? I say yes, as the Waste King looks to be a superior disposer for the money with a 10-year in-home warranty. I don't know how they can afford to do that with an under $100 disposer.

4.0 out of 5 stars After 4 weeks, mostly good., September 21, 2011
I bought the Waste King 3300 garbage disposal to replace my corroded and leaking Badger 5. I considered a more expensive model, the Waste King 9950, which would have been easier to mount since it can use the Badger's "3-bolt" mounting hardware. But since there was no way to know if the old putty (between sink and Badger's sink flange) was still in good shape, and since it doesn't take much extra work to completely replace the mounting hardware, purchasing the 3300 made sense.

Installing the mounting hardware took even less work than expected because the 3300 came with a flat rubber gasket that can be used instead of putty if you have a stainless steel sink (which I do).

I give top marks to Waste King's customer service, who at no charge sent me the disposal's drain elbow pipe before I placed my order, to help me check whether the 3300 would fit between sink and sink trap. It fits thanks to the sharp right angle in the L-shaped drain elbow. (I think the 3300 will fit for anyone replacing a Badger 5.)

Customer service also correctly advised me that because the 3300 has a larger diameter than the Badger, to make it fit it would be necessary to rotate the sink trap a few degrees away from the disposal and align the disposal so its drain outlet points at the trap's new position.

The written instructions are fairly good, but I have three complaints:

1. The instructions imply you don't need to remove the trap and only need to loosen one of the trap's two nuts. I doubt that's true for anyone. I found it necessary to completely remove the trap and install the trap last--after mounting the disposal--in order to slide the trap up to mate with the disposal's drain elbow. This meant it was necessary to use plumber's pipe tape to re-wrap the metal threads under the nut at the trap's other end, to prevent the trap from leaking there.

2. The instructions lack a section about how to remove the disposal. (I needed to remove it to inspect and further tighten its mounting flange to the sink. I hadn't tightened the flange enough because I was concerned about overtightening & stripping threads, and later noticed wetness below the sink.) The difficult step was rotating the disposal's mounting collar away from its "locked" position. This demanded much more force than I could apply with one hand trying to hold the disposal's body still and the other hand trying to rotate the mounting collar. I managed to unlock the collar by using a $9 strap wrench purchased at Home Depot. (Wrap the strap all the way around the mounting collar, then feed the excess strap through the slot in the wrench's handle. Hold the disposal body still with one hand and apply torque with the wrench using the other hand.) Customer service had recommended spraying WD-40 and hitting the collar with a hammer, which would have been my last resort if the strap wrench failed.

3. The instructions don't explain how to remove the 3300's power cord so that the 3300 can be hardwired to the existing power cable. The Badger had been hardwired to a power cable that emerges from the wall under the sink, and I had no power outlet into which the 3300's power cord could be plugged. I was unable to figure out how to remove the 3300's power cord--I didn't want to ignorantly unscrew nuts to see what comes apart; maybe I should have asked customer service?--so I bought parts for a power outlet box and drywall anchors and attempted to install the outlet onto the wall. Unfortunately there isn't enough room under my sink to reach the wall with both hands, and I wasn't able to screw in the drywall anchor screws one-handed, so I ended up letting the outlet box dangle from its cable.

The disposal has been working fine. No leaks after everything was tightened enough. (I hope writing this doesn't jinx it.)

Some reviewers have written that they're disturbed by the brief loud "thunk" at the moment it's turned on. The sound doesn't bother me, but the disposal makes quite a kick when it's turned on. (I know this because, before installing it, I tested it by turning it on while holding it under one arm.) I have to wonder whether torque from repeated kicks will eventually damage the cushion mount or the thin rubber sink flange gasket (or putty, for those who use putty). The 10 year warranty helps set my mind at ease. Still, it would be nice to know why it kicks, and what advantages the kick provides, if any. Does that prevent it from jamming? If the kick provides no significant advantages, perhaps power could be applied to the motor more gradually by using a more sophisticated motor controller.

Although the 10 year warranty seems worse than the lifetime warranty of the 9950, in one way it's better: The 10 year warranty can be transferred to a new owner (if s/he has the sales receipt) but the lifetime warranty can't be transferred. I recommend that Waste King modify all their lifetime warranties so that at least 10 years can be transferred.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hope it lasts 10 years, March 30, 2010
The installation went well (4 hours). I ordered the kit that would make installation with the old disposer. Amazon cancelled the order because it was out of stock but I did not need it. I just followed the instructions for the new Easy Mount and did not have any problems. No leaks. The big problem with all disposers is the dishwasher connection hose(seems that a hose could made that is flexable and easy).

Just hope it lasts over the 10 years as they warranty it for.

3.0 out of 5 stars Noisy! Made in China now., March 27, 2012
Puchased this the end of March 2012 based on a Consumer Report rating and claims it was American made.

Contrary to other reviews, the Waste King L3300 is made in China now. I called the manufacturer and they said "it has been made in China for four years".

It has a power cord so if you have the old fashioned power going directly into the unit, put in an outlet. Hint: Since it is sure hard to get to the back or side of the corner cabinet to attach an outlet, I cut a 20" piece (so it crosses 2 studs) of 1x2, drilled two holes 16" apart, then attached a surface-mount outlet to the 1x2, wired the outlet in since the old power wire stretched to the door, put on the cover plate then reached in and put 2 sheet-rock screws to hold the 1x2 to the wall. Much easier than attaching outlet to wall first. I was able to do this prior to removing the old unit and before the new one was delivered.

The old 3-screw unit came out easily and the instructions for the new one explained how to do it. The new one went in quickly.

BUT IT WAS NOISY! The clunk on start-up (the mfgr says this will happen) is bad enough but the noise and vibration when connected to the stainless steel sink are AWFUL! The Corian counter top noticeably vibrates and a friend said she could feel the vibration while standing in the middle of the kitchen ceramic tile floor. It is MUCH NOISIER than the 1/2 HP Kitchenaid it replaced.

Per CR, the Kitchenaid is quieter. I'd buy one of those instead if I had a choice over again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad product, poor service, November 21, 2013
I am extremely dissatisfied. This product - now a month old, but terrible from day one - takes forever to grind literally everything except eggshells, plus it rarely even finishes a job when you think it's done, so you always have to look down the drain to see if there is food left afterwards, which there usually is. It does not compare to the noisy old GE Disposall that it replaced (which finally quit after about 14 years).
Additionally, the food that is ground is much too coarse, which recently caused our drain to clog and back up resulting in a big mess and leak under the sink - that's how we could tell how big the waste particles are.
To make it even worse, we are having way too much trouble getting the unit replaced via the warranty. I contacted the mfg. and followed their instructions contacting a local plumber, but the plumber did not have the replacement at the appointment time - today. Now the mfg. says it will be another 12 days at least to get it replaced, leaving us without a garbage disposal to use during prep and cleanup of Thanksgiving dinner for 10 people. Repeat, extremely dissatisfied.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works, great but no adapter needed, December 10, 2010
Based on the reviews here, I ordered the 3101 adapter for replacement of a 3 bolt mounting system. This is completely unnecessary and in fact, if you are replacing a 3 bolt system it would be easier to "upgrade" it to the EZmount. The 3/4 HP disposal I purchased came with everything I needed. My old unit was a pain to remove so I ended up have to destroy the part needed to reuse as a 3 bolt setup. So unless you want to keep your old mounting system with likely grody gaskets, you wont need an adapter. The EZ Mount design will replace the sink portion as well as the seals. You can thank me later for saving you $10

The product itself is great. My wife has a habit of putting coffee grounds, small branches, and used books down the disposal (to the demise of my 1/2 HP Whirlpool) so I followed Tim Taylor's advice and added MORE POWER. Very quiet and lightweight unit.

‹ Previous | 1 2 349 | Next ›