5.0 out of 5 stars Very wild book
Published on October 19, 2006 by John

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch My Back-Geoff Thompson
The book arrived from overseas quickly and I was quick to start reading it, it was nearly 600 pages long and I finished it in 3 days of spare time.
Published 10 months ago by Ringo

5.0 out of 5 stars Very wild book, October 19, 2006
This review is from: Watch My Back: The Geoff Thompson Story (Paperback)
This book is about Mr. Thompson's life as a bouncer in Britain. It is very interesting, and pretty humorous at times, as well. As they say, reality is weirder than fiction. I kept saying "oh my god", when I read this book. The book basically contains one story after another of real bar fights and confrontations that that author had. It provides both a window into the male psyche (or should I say "psycho") and also what works and what doesn't, in terms of de-escalation and actual combat. It provides an interesting look at modern British society, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brutal and compelling reading, August 25, 2008
This review is from: Watch My Back: The Geoff Thompson Story (Paperback)
Geoff Thompson is a martial arts expert. A 6th Dan at Karate and 1st Dan at Judo as well as studying many other styles. However buying this on the basis that you might learn something about martial arts would be a mistake.

The story basically covers his life as a doorman with small periods covered before and after these years. Its a violent true story and the tales he tells are compelling reading. Working in Coventry in the 1980's, he dealt with some of the nastiest hoods and nutcakes around. As a Doorman Thompsons main tactic was to initially try and sort the problem out without resorting to violence. However when it came to the crunch and a troublemaker had to be dealt with - "BANG" he would nail them with a knock-out punch (to the side of the jaw I guess) before they could do anything. Invariably one punch was enough, however sometimes if the mood took him he would roundhouse kick their head as they fell to the floor!

There is one particularly unpleasant incident, which Geoff Thompson was not involved in, that he recounts that I found hard to read. Partly this is because I knew he was describing something that was a true story. So if you are easily upset by descriptions of acts of violence this not a book to buy.

Geoff Thompson has gone on to write, appear on TV, and produce a huge amount of material on martial arts and the psychology of fighting and self-defence. Everything I have read of his so far has been of interest. You will probably only read this one once (I did in 3 days) but its well worth getting.

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch My Back-Geoff Thompson, August 17, 2013
This review is from: Watch My Back: The Geoff Thompson Story (Paperback)
I must say that after reading this book I came to dislike Geoff Thompson and all Doormen/Bouncers in general. Apparently this guy needs a great deal of therapy to deal with his issues, he is arrogant and fearful, he deals with his fear by beating up drunks and young punks, he's had over 300 fights and never lost???? I don't believe that, but he brags about it often enough, like I said, his reputation was built on drunks and young punks, I bet your average UFC fighter could whoop his ass sideways.
I do admire the way he admits he is fearful before a fight and his knees shake, if you have ever been in a real fight you know he speaks the truth, other than that Freud would have a field day with this guy, knocking peoples teeth out for a living is not my idea of a real job.
A decent one time read if you have the time.

4.0 out of 5 stars You talkin to me?, May 31, 2013
This review is from: Watch My Back: The Geoff Thompson Story (Paperback)
I like the down to earth and brutal reality of his writing depicting the writer's real life experiences as a bouncer in some of the toughest clubs in the UK. Not a job for the faint of heart. He gave some real practical advise on the art of fighting also. It could really come in handy some day and maybe save your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, May 6, 2013
This review is from: Watch My Back: The Geoff Thompson Story (Paperback)
There is a vast amount of insight in these pages and it's very well written. Money well spent. Good stuff.

4.0 out of 5 stars True facts of violent encounters, February 26, 2013
This review is from: Watch My Back: The Geoff Thompson Story (Paperback)
Geoff Thompson is a lively writer who can describe violent situations very precise but yet in readable form. I highly recoment for all who are intrested in psychology of violence.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Right Book for the Right Reader, January 26, 2010
This review is from: Watch My Back: The Geoff Thompson Story (Paperback)
This is an enormously compelling book. You have a series of exciting, brutal bar-room brawls. But if that were all this book offered it would go nowhere. Thompson weaves his story of being a bouncer in some of Britain's toughest pubs into a larger picture of martial arts, self-defense, and finally spirituality.

I was poised to enjoy this book as a practicing Buddhist and jiu-jitsu novice. But, I think there is a compelling immediacy to Geoff Thompson's voice that would draw in and captivate readers who are not spiritually inclined or even interested in martial arts. This is a story about a man who has entertained, trained, and questioned his own instincts, and put his revelations up against finding that reading human nature is the bigger battle than simply knowing combat techniques.

It's not a feel good story, but it's not a brutal pandering to bar-fight vouyeurs either. It's both and more. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!!!, June 3, 2009
This review is from: Watch My Back: The Geoff Thompson Story (Paperback)
This was an absolutely amazing look into Geoff Thompson's life as it was turned upside down. You don't have to be into martial arts to enjoy this book. I read it about two years ago and it is going to be my next pick for my book club ( a group of six women)! It is an inspiring yet very real look into Geoff's life. You come out with the utmost respect for Geoff as a man. There is an absolute shocker in the book that really makes you realize how Geoff came full circle in his life. What a wonderful read!!!!! I recommend it to everyone!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars honestman, July 5, 2011
This review is from: Watch My Back: The Geoff Thompson Story (Paperback)
i loved this book faced his demons' like the very big majority would'nt very interested fight or flight happened to me when knew it was coming was ok but spur of the moment felt a buckle geoff is a very in touch intelligent man not just tough but very honest about his feelings couple times i think he took libertys [over the top]but overall seems a great fella god bless u son dicky

Watch My Back: The Geoff Thompson Story
Watch My Back: The Geoff Thompson Story by Geoff Thompson (Paperback - September 15, 2001)
Used & New from: $1.98