Customer Discussions > PlayStation 3 System Slim 120GB forum

Watching online movies via the PS3 console

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 66 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 1, 2009 9:20:18 AM PST
K. Truong says:
anyone tried watching movies from Amazon Video on Demand using the PS3 console? Curious to know how that works for you.

Posted on Dec 4, 2009 8:26:23 AM PST
Peter DeMars says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2009 4:19:50 AM PST
mywhimsy says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 9, 2009 4:04:52 AM PST
Guraaf says:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2009 4:39:27 AM PST
mywhimsy says:

Posted on Dec 11, 2009 12:40:49 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2009 3:05:15 PM PST
mywhimsy says:

Posted on Dec 13, 2009 12:38:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2009 12:42:51 PM PST

Posted on Dec 13, 2009 11:12:12 PM PST
mr. reviewer says:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 9:19:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2009 9:20:35 AM PST
I am curious about that as well...Did you ever get an answer about Amazon VOD?

Posted on Dec 14, 2009 2:28:12 PM PST

Posted on Jan 30, 2010 6:39:14 AM PST
Tommyboy says:
Can A Sony PS3 player link and stream Amazon on Demand movies?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2010 11:07:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 30, 2010 11:09:13 PM PST
Tommyboy says:
As far as I researched, you can't stream VOD movies directly to a ps3. But you can use a pc through a website called "Playon" to your ps3.
http://www.playon.tv/playon. It has a 2 week free trial, then a one time fee around $20. discounts available. I used it last night, but it was kinda "jerky" because you have to have a great internet connection (a min of 1.5mbps for standard movies and min of 2.5 for Blu-ray). I would say if you have a high speed internet connection, you should be good using this method.

Posted on Feb 15, 2010 12:44:24 PM PST
Some of the Blu-ray dics have the ability to go on the internet and play certain content, via Blu-ray java. The people who came up with the Blu-ray standard, said that all devices that have Blu-ray players in them must able to go on the internet. Since Sony didn't incorporate the Blu-ray Java in their cross bar, the Netflix folks made a Blu-ray disc that takes advantage of this. If you had a Blu-ray burner, you could actually place a Blu-ray Java web browser on a disc. This way you could watch Hulu for free, and not play Sony anything for watching regular TV shows.

I am a Netflix subscriber and use my PS3 - 60 gig to watch movies, the movies are around DVD quality. The only complaint that I'm having, is about my PS3. There are way too many people on the PS3 forums complaining about their PS3's being bricked after updating their systems. This covers the 1st released PS3's all the way to the newer PS3 slims. There seems to be a problem with the updates, so I'm waiting to update mine.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2010 4:26:08 PM PST
D. Nelson says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2010 10:04:05 PM PDT
chris says:
I have my roku player ,along with my ps3 and my roku plays amazon movies great, ps3 does a better job with netflix, as far as picture and sound are concerned,

Posted on Nov 27, 2010 1:41:27 PM PST
IanT says:
Has there been any progress made with respect to streaming Amazon movies via PS3 to your TV?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2010 5:25:58 AM PST
Sony probably won't make an app for Amazon because of direct competition.

Posted on Dec 25, 2010 6:28:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 25, 2010 6:29:47 PM PST
C. Barreto says:
The question was, does Amazon Video on Demand work using the PS3 console. As December 25, 2010, the answer is no. The question was not how great Netflix is, or why you have PS3. Thanks and Merry Christmas ADD Nation...

Posted on Jan 14, 2011 6:15:39 PM PST
P. Aluise says:
Other Ways to Watch Amazon Video On Demand on Your TV-
Your XBOX 360 will play Amazon Video On Demand videos that have been downloaded to your PC.
If you have a Windows Media Center PC connected to your TV, you can watch your downloads on the TV using Windows Media Center functionality.
Watch Amazon Video On Demand by connecting your PC directly to your TV.

From Amazon

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2011 6:30:45 AM PST
BBmax50 says:

Posted on Feb 24, 2011 10:41:49 AM PST
I'm also curious, now that some streaming VOD content is available fee to Prime members. Is there any way to watch Amazon VOD content on Xbox 360 or PS3 aside from having to purchase the paid versions of TVersity or PlaOn?

Posted on Feb 24, 2011 5:20:43 PM PST
bigdoodie1 says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2011 9:07:02 PM PDT
John says:
I'm convinced playon's jerky performance is design flaw and not based on connection. I gave it a whirl twice over the course of two years and was extremely disappointed with its inability to perform as promised. Also, it had an occurance of occasionally glitching up the transcode somehow so the playstation was just screaming high pitched jibberish audio that hurt the ears. IMO, PlayOn is a great idea, somehow poorly implemented and never delivering a service one could claim as "reliable" or even really "functional."

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2011 6:12:39 PM PDT
Sujeet B. says:
Thanks for the playon idea. I downloaded it today and I am going to check it out. Especially since Netflix is charging people an arm and a leg for crap, I think Amazon video is worth a try.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  50
Total posts:  66
Initial post:  Dec 1, 2009
Latest post:  Jun 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 21 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
PlayStation 3 System Slim 120GB
PlayStation 3 System Slim 120GB by Sony (PlayStation 3)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (844)