Save Big On Open-Box & Preowned: Buy "Watchmen (Director's Cut)” from Amazon Warehouse Deals and save 64% off the $20.97 list price. Product is eligible for Amazon's 30-day returns policy and Prime or FREE Shipping. See all Open-Box & Preowned offers from Amazon Warehouse Deals.
Watchmen (Director's Cut)
|Additional DVD options||Edition||Discs||
|New from||Used from|
|Watch Instantly with||Rent||Buy|
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Also on the disc
The extended director's cut restores 24 minutes of connective tissue to the 162-minute film, most significantly the last scene of Hollis Mason, the first Nite Owl. Other elements help restore and fill in details that had been in the graphic novel. Fans of the film will be glad for the extra footage but there's nothing momentous that will change anyone's basic like or dislike of the film.
The second disc has the documentary "The Phenomenon: The Comic That Changed Comics," 29 min.), which looks at the original graphic novel and its themes, and interviews artist Dave Gibbons, DC Comics executives Jenette Kahn and Paul Levitz, and cast and crew, illustrating its points with scenes from the movie, panels from the graphic novel, and parts of the motion comic. There's also My Chemical Romance's "Desolation Row" music video and the 11 video journals that helped stir up excitement leading up to the theatrical run. No longer available is a Digital Copy of the film (compatible with both iTunes and Windows Media; download code expires July 21, 2010)l. --David Horiuchi
The Phenomenon: The Comic That Changed Comics: The original graphic novel's groundbreaking impact
All 11 Watchmen video journals
My Chemical Romance "Desolation Row" music video
Top Customer Reviews
Overall, the storyline and conversations are better fleshed out, and this version is truer to the comics. The largest additional addition is that of Hollis Mason's death, which is spectacularly directed to the score of the Intermezzo from the opera Cavalleria Rusticana (think Godfather III).
(1) Rorschach gets additional dialogue, some straight from the comics.
(2) When Rorschach searches the Comedian's apartment shortly after the opening scene, he encounters two cops still stationed there. He fights briefly with them before jumping back out the window.
(3) Conversation between Dan and Rorschach (beans scene) is extended.
(4) All flashbacks extended, with the exception of Sally's.
(5) Dr. Manhatten discussing the symbol on his forehead. Additional questions in the face to face with Dr. Manhatten. Dan and Hollis watch Dr. Manhatten go crazy on their TV set.
(6) Laurie getting interrogated by the military as they try to determine Dr. M's whereabouts (on Mars). Alessandro Juliani's (Lt. Gaeta from Battlestar Galactica) scene has been reinserted. He plays one of the scientists who bursts in during the interrogation of Laurie to tell the military that they've located Dr. M on Mars.
(7) Probably the biggest addition is the depiction of Hollis Mason's death at the hands of the knot heads. Interestingly, the death is done from poor Hollis' POV, where he imagines himself fighting the gangsters of the 1940s.Read more ›
The Set Includes:
- Watchmen, the Ultimate Cut (1080p/VC-1 Transfer, 215min)
- Commentary from Zac Snyder and Dave Gibbons (Explains everything from prop inspirations to plot alterations)
- BD Live
- The Phenomenon: The Comic That Changed Comics (HD 25min)
- Real Super Heroes, Real Vigilantes (HD 26min)
- Mechanics: Technologies of a Fantastic World (HD 17min)
- Watchmen: Video Journals (HD 36mmin)
- Under the Hood (HD 38min)
- Story Within a Story: The Books of Watchmen (HD 36min)
- My Chemical Romance, 'Desolation Row' Music Video (HD, 3min)
- Watchmen: The Complete Motion Comics (1080p/VC-1 Transfer, 325).
- Watchmen Video Journal, Dave Gibbons (HD 3min)
- Wonder Woman Sneak Peak (SD 10min)
- Bonus Digital Copy (Not Blu-ray)- Digital Copy of the Theatrical Version. (Not Blu-Ray, Expires November 2010)
- Disc 1 does not include 'Watchmen' WITHOUT 'the Black Freighter' integrated. The digital copy may somewhat compensate for this, but if you're still not satisfied, you'll have to purchase the 'Director's Cut' and 'the Black Freighter' separetely.Read more ›
First, it looks cool. Nice details, looks 'properly used'. But here's the thing. After I unpacked it I noticed a slip of paper at the bottom of the box. It described how to replace the batteries in the Nite Owl Ship. Wait... BATTERIES?
So I then discovered the ship is made to easily come off it's stand. Under it there is a battery compartment. It requires a small Phillips head to open. I opened it to confirm... yup a battery compartment with two batteries!
But for the life of me I could not figure out what the Nite Owl Ship was suppose to do! I saw no switch. So I even tried talking to it... nope, no voice recognition.
*** spoiler **
Finally... I figured out the top plate (circular on the very top) is a hidden switch! You press it... and it lights up (detail lights and bright main front lights)! And, for about 5-10 seconds... it makes the SOUNDS of the Nite Owl Ship flying around! The lights stay on until you press the hidden switch again...
This ended up being much more than advertised! :)
And of course the movie is great... but you already know that (or else what the heck are you reading this for)!!!
I agree with the other reviewers who note the film's ending is an improvement over the book's. It just makes more sense in the context of the story. This is not a knock on Mr. Moore, of whom I am a big fan.
I don't understand the folks who are so down on this film, unless it is that they just had the wrong expectations and/or didn't do their homework before watching it. It was never meant to be another Spiderman, Superman or Hulk story.
Kudos to Mr. Moore. Kudos for the team who produced this film.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
One of my new favorite films in this incredible DVD! It looks great in my collection.Published 13 days ago by Amazon Customer
Action, Mystery, Scifi, Psychological, Political, Romantic, and visually striking all at the same time. It's my favorite superhero movie. Why? Read morePublished 15 days ago by Aidan Gavril W.
WATCHMEN subverts the traditional superhero movie genre by portraying its heroes as deeply flawed and complex. Indeed, they are as much antihero as hero. Read morePublished 16 days ago by sft
Amazing movie.. Probably the best super hero movie of all time. The comics even better. Won't give details to avoid spoilers.. Just watch this!!Published 16 days ago by Amazon Customer
|Topic||From this Discussion|
|Purchased a rental from amazon instant video..its not showing in my...||
I am having the same problem. It seems their "Instant" video is not very instant. I'm really frustrated and will probably never bother with this ridiculous service ever again. I'm very surprised that Amazon would fail this badly.
Jun 26, 2011 by AprilSunshine | See all 32 posts
|Director's Cut or Theatrical - which version is better for those that...||
I haven't read the comic book, when I went to the cinema I liked the film but felt something was missing, maybe some soul. This director's cut made me just love the movie, the characters feel even more human, the 3 hours aren't felt since all the information assembles greatly and is interesting.... Read More
Sep 17, 2009 by Chris Baños | See all 6 posts
|Why so many people insulting those who give negative reviews?||
It's the nutty people who are fans of the director. I wrote a bad review of 300 and was accused of being a pedophile. I thought the movie totally sucked. The original was 10 times better.
Jan 12, 2012 by Michael L. Wolff | See all 2 posts
This is the Warner press release for the DVD specs:
Director's Cut (additional 25 min.) Newly included footage contains more Rorschach and a scene of Hollis Mason's death.
The Warner Bros. studio has released the specs for the upcoming release of 'Watchmen' on DVD and Blu-Ray, hitting retail... Read More
Jun 4, 2009 by J'aime | See all 6 posts
|not available on video on demand yet? anybody got it?||
Yup,ditto. I'm guessing VoD processing isn't nearly as fast as their automailer.
Jul 21, 2009 by Marcus A. Vitchell | See all 59 posts
|lame.||Be the first to reply|
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > DC Comics Collection
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Drama
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Science Fiction
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > All Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Drama
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Sci-Fi & Fantasy