Your Garage Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

85%
15%
Format: Paperback|Change

on December 12, 1999
"Sometimes I cascade. I tumble down, down, over the moss-covered rocks, through the forest shadows. I am the mountain stream." Intriguing images of water dancing through the many stages of its cycle capture the young reader's attention in this informative, artistic book for five to eight year olds. Using a brilliant form of personification, Locker provides a deeper, more scientific understanding of concepts of water that children are already familiar with, such as rain, rivers and rainbows. The graceful, informative poetic verse on each page is accompanied by a beautiful illustration, all done in oils on canvas. For example, a stunning, lifelike portrait of a mountain stream careening through rocks and trees is featured on the adjoining page of the verse quoted above. A great complement to the text, the paintings are softer than photographs, yet just as realistic and appealing to the eye. At the end of the book, the reader finds a thorough and instructive lesson on the water cycle that is more densely written and in smaller print. This adds to the instructive nature of the book and would make an excellent contribution to a teacher's unit on the elements. All scientific information in the book was researched by Locker's writing partner Candace Christiansen, who is also an author and has taught science for many years. Water Dance is a fascinating, unique book; a treasure of the existing literary world.
on May 19, 2002
Thomas Locker's beautiful oil paintings make "Water Dance" a work of art and a wonderful way for kids to learn about the water cycle.I decided to see what's out there for kids about water and began with "Water Dance," "Where the River Begins," and "Cloud Dance," all by Locker. I fell in love with his art and . . . also bought "Sky Tree" and several others.
I just published a review of approximately 20 kids water books titled "Teaching Children about the Hydrologic Cycle." To read, go to [...] and click on the current issue of "On Tap," a magazine about drinking water in small communities.
on February 2, 2000
This review is by way of one of my 3rd grade students, who said that "this book is so beautiful that it make my heart hurt." After looking at the pictures and reading the wonderful descriptive phrases, I had to agree with her. It has become a favorite book to read when I need to quiet my classes down--and invariably, at least one student asks for the name and author so that they, too, can own it.
This is probably one of the most useful books I have come across in recent years. It is a delight to the ear and the eye. The author teaches us the story of water, or more specifically, the water cycle. He does this with simple, lyrical prose and combines this with some wonderful, original art. The paintings in this book are breath taking. This is a wonderful way to teach children about rain, water, streams, lakes and nature. It can be read to the class and then discussed page by page (it is amazing to hear the comments of the children)and at the same time each painting can be admired and discussed. I have watched our art teachers use this one in class as well as the reading teachers. But just as importantly, I have observed quite a number of children just setting along, reading and carefully studying the pictures. (I must admit to picking up this one my self, quite often, and just gazing at the wonderful art). This is a pretty good indorsement for any children's book. This is certainly one that should be added to any children's library, either at home or at school. Highly recommend this one.
on January 2, 2001
I bought this book as a gift for my friend's son. He wanted to read over and over again for days (and it looks like this will continue for some time!) The pictures are absolutely beautiful, the poetry soothing, inspiring and educational, and this 3-year-old insists on reading the scientific explanations at the end of the book every time. I can't imagine a child (or an adult!) who wouldn't enjoy it!
on February 26, 1999
Thomas Locker has once again given us a feast for our eyes. His illustrations are outstanding and his poetry is charming. In addition, he has included facts about the water cycle to reinforce the lessons he artistically created. This is an excellent classroom resource.
on January 15, 2015
A big fan of Thomas Locker books, and this book is as lovely as the others. Gorgeous art, good writing. Grows with child; as interesting to young toddlers as well as older children. A pleasure for adults to read, which is a bonus for those of us who read lots of books to little ones.
on July 21, 1999
Soft yet dramatic illustrations accompany this free verse story of the water cycle. The last four pages provide background information for the more advanced reader. This book was recently chosen as the "book of the year" in the children's division by the Izaak Walton League of America at their National Convention in Williamsburg, VA. Members are encouraged to provide this book for their families and local schools.
on January 28, 2004
Wonderful read for the whole family. This is a book we look forward to reading to our little one, over and over. The art work is fantastic, the words are entertaining and has a section at the end of the book to educate about all the cycles of water. Do not hesitate to add this to your library!
on October 13, 2015
Excellent book to use as a foundation for creating poem dances. I learned of the book in Anne Green Gilbert's Summer Dance Institute, and I'm using it with joy. Beautiful illustrations, clear language bursting with verbs and images. I recommend it.