Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

on April 8, 2002
I had the honor of knowing one of the men in the book. I grew up with his sons and he treated me like I was one of his own. He never spoke of his service. He never watched a war movie when it came on the television; he either changed the channel or shut the set off. He was a quiet man.
These were real men. The description of the training and missions is full of detail that brings the story to life. It helped me understand some things about a man who I spent a lot of time around. It explained some of the stories my Dad told me about when they both worked in a logging camp in Oregon.
The stories of the men in this book will make you appreciate the freedom you have today and the sacrifices they made over 50 years ago. They risked a lot for us and we owe it to them to learn about their sacrifice.
22 comments7 of 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 12, 2001
The Navy SEALS are among the most heroic of all the brave men throughout military history. If you have an interest in where they came from, this is where you want to be. O'Dell has clearly done his homework. His depth of research is impressive, in both archival material and in interviews. O'Dell brings passion and intensity to his writing. It's all here. Enjoy.
on July 4, 2011
I have read over 30 books on the subject of "SEALs, Special Forces, Unconventional Warfare,etc." and I must say this book not only has the ability to keep the reader glued to this page turner, but the author has used more then enough research material to make his argument crystal clear. Having just finished college with writing a final paper on the subject, I only wish I had this book available at the time. Nevertheless this is a great summertime read that helps the reader visualize the action and danger that spawned the various commandos around today. Truly a phenomenal read!
on February 11, 2001
The Navy SEALS are among the most heroic of all brave men throughout military history. If you have an interest in where they came from, this is where you want to be. O'Dell has clearly done his homework. His depth of research is impressive, in both archival material and in interviews. O'Dell brings passion and intensity to his writing. It's all here. Enjoy.
on March 20, 2012
Book was in great shape at a great price. Service was very fast as well! Could not be happier with product and service! Thanks, Ray.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse