Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eric Clapton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

Size: 1 Pack|Change

on June 9, 2011
After reading the reviews for this product and the equivalent Aqua-Pure product, I decided to buy one of each and do a side by side comparison. The first thing I noticed was that the Water Sentinel is made in USA, while the Aqua-Pure is made in Mexico. The Water Sentinel appears to be better constructed and heftier. It also includes 0-ring lubricant, which makes installation MUCH easier. After flushing a gallon of water through each, the taste test was pretty much the same, the Water Sentinel maybe a bit better. Considering that the Water Sentinel is about half the price (and did I mention MADE in USA), it certainly seems like a no-brainer.
55 comments|111 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 20, 2011
If you're water dispenser is leaking at the door, it is usually because you have air in the water line. Make sure you soak the filter to remove any loose charcoal before installing a new filter. Keep the filter upright and full of water when installing and then run a gallon or so of water through the dispenser to remove any air from the lines. If you still have a leak at the dispenser, make sure the water line on the back of the fridge is tight.
on March 13, 2010
Samsung is rated at 500 gallons or 6 months; this one is rated at 300 gallons or 6 months. Go figure.
Price is about 40% less than Samsung (200 gallons less = 40% less so you get what you pay for).
I typically use this product for up to a year and taste is still pure, not even chlorine taste.
Previous reviewer who said it tastes like pee must have his water hooked up to his toilet.
33 comments|38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 31, 2011
Just purchased my second 3 pack. This filter has the same capacity as the Samsung brand (300 Gallons check it out online) I have now used 4 of these and they work perfectly. No leaks no problems, water tastes great etc. You get them for just over $20 when you buy the 3 pack at Amazon and you can get free shipping. I don't know why anyone has had a problem with these, but for me they have worked perfectly. I get longer life in the winter months as our two person family uses less water and ice. I used three filters in 24 months replacing them each time the indicator light on my refrigerator door turned red. Water Sentinel WSS-1 Replacement Fridge Filter, 3 PACK, Fits Samsung DA29-00003B
on February 10, 2010
I purchased these to replace the OEM filters that I have been spending $45 a piece on at Lowes. Everything I read about these filters indicated longer life and obviously a MUCH better value from a cost perspective. They were well packaged and fit perfectly. The only thing is a slightly 'off' plastic taste. As I do with OEM filters I flushed several gallons through the filter before using any of the water. Still, there was this persistent bitter plastic taste. After running several more gallons through it the taste began to diminish and has become less noticeable over time. I have used dozens of filter / softener technologies over the last 20 years and this is the first time I have had this taste perception issue. I willl have to see what the next filter is like in several months to determine if I will purchase again.

+++++ 7/14 update: The first of the three filters is about due for a replacement. This really isn't any longer than the OEM Samsung filter. However, we did have an extra person in our household for many months of it's life so it may have given an extra 10-20%. Other than that there is nothing else to report, the water was fine after cycling an extra couple of gallons out of it at start-up with no other taste perception issues.
77 comments|62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 24, 2012
The WSS-1 is not equivalent to the manufacturer's recommended filter. I noticed that the description didn't mention removal of harmful contaminants (ANSI 53), so I emailed Water Sentinel. Getting no reply to my email, I phoned their customer service and they confirmed that the filter DOES NOT meet ANSI 53 for removal of harmful contaminants.

My refrigerator is a Samsung RFG298AARS. The owner's manual specifies a Samsung model DA29-00003G filter, which is certified to meet both ANSI 42 (aesthetic effects, such as chlorine taste), and ANSI 53 (health effects, such as cysts, lead, benzene, asbestos, mercury). If you buy the WSS-1 you are buying a cartridge that is certified only to make water taste better, not to make it safer.

Water Sentinels own product literature states: "This filter (WSS-1) should not be used with water that is microbiologically unsafe or of unknown quality, without adequate disinfection before and or after the filter. This filter has been tested by the manufacturer against ANSI/NSF Standard 42 for the reduction of Chlorine, Tastes and Odors."

NSF/ANSI Standard 42: Drinking Water Treatment Units - Aesthetic Effects. Designed to reduce specific aesthetic or non-health-related contaminants (chlorine, taste and odor, and particulates) that may be present in public or private drinking water.

NSF/ANSI Standard 53: Drinking Water Treatment Units - Health Effects. Designed to reduce specific health-related contaminants, such as Cryptosporidium, Giardia, lead, volatile organic chemicals (VOCs), MTBE (methyl tertiary-butyl ether), that may be present in public or private drinking water.

[Source: the National Sanitation Foundation (NSF)]

Conclusion: I strongly recommend buying a filter that meets both ANSI 42 and ANSI 53 certifications and the manufacturer's specs, such as the DA29-00003G or an equivalent product. The Water Sentinel WSS-1 does NOT meet both standards. Water Sentinel's own literature warns against using the filter if your water is "microbiologically unsafe," putting the onus of safety assurance on the consumer. If you knew it was always safe, you wouldn't need a filter. I bought the DA29-0003G, I have owned several now with no problems. It costs a bit more, but does what I expect a filter to do--make the water safer while also making it taste good. (If a comparable product comes along with a lower cost, and the same certifications, I will consider it.)
1818 comments|124 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 18, 2010
this is the second time we got this product, no problems or anything w/ the 1st set of filters. this one however, we have had the funny taste and smell of the water linger. i threw out extra water from the beginning hoping that would help--it didn't! i am considering just chucking this 1st filter early & hoping the next one in the 3pk is better!! i would possibly not order this again...but will make that decision based on the other 2 remaining filters.
on July 6, 2011
I was irritated that I had to pay $40+ for a water filter at Lowes. Decided to search the Internet and was pleased to find the WSS-1 offer, so I took a chance and purchased 6 for the savings. Per instructions I ran about a gallon of water through it first. I hit the jackpot - Excellent value for the money.
on May 26, 2011
I bought this filter thinking I had saved some money from the OEM Samsung filters. I was disappointed right from the start. These filters are physically larger than than the one they claim to replace. They DO fit. After replacing an OEM Samsung filter with the Water Sentinel I noted that the fridge water nozzle would drip for several minutes after using it. I tried with no success to refit the filter but it continued to drip. I also noted that when removing the filter it seemed over pressureized as water would explode from the filter housing when removing the Water Sentinel. I went back to the over priced OEM Samsung filter because they work with no water nozzle drips and we like the taste of the water (got rid of bottled water in fact).
on March 29, 2011
I bought others before, and did not fit like they were supposed too. They leaked water all over, inside the refrigerator. These on the other hand, worked for my Samsung refrigerator flawlessly. The water is good tasting and I saved a lot of money with these replacements. Would definitely buy again.