Published on May 4, 2011 by Matt

1.0 out of 5 stars only improves taste; does not make water safer/cleaner
Published on November 22, 2011 by Wandering Rogue

1.0 out of 5 stars only improves taste; does not make water safer/cleaner, November 22, 2011
I was checking out these filters to replace the more expensive GE filters. According to Water Sentinel themselves, these filters are certified against ANSI/NSF Standard 42, and only Standard 42. That standard is soley for aesthetics; that is, the filter removes chlorine that makes the water taste bad. The GE filters are certified against ANSI/NSF Standards 42 and 53. Standard 53 is for the reduction of lead, mercury, Giardia and other cysts, asbestos, and many other chemicals. The Water Sentinel filters do not claim that they are certified to remove these items. So, although the water tastes better than tap water, it may not be any safer than tap water. If you're buying filters only to improve the taste of the water, these are definitely less expensive than the GE filters. If you're buying filters to improve the safety and quality of the water, you may wish to look at other filters.

From the ANSI website:

NSF/ANSI Standard 42: Drinking Water Treatment Units - Aesthetic Effects
Overview: This standard covers point-of-use (POU) and point-of-entry (POE) systems designed to reduce specific aesthetic or non-health-related contaminants (chlorine, taste and odor, and particulates) that may be present in public or private drinking water.

NSF/ANSI Standard 53: Drinking Water Treatment Units - Health Effects
Overview: Standard 53 addresses point-of-use (POU) and point-of-entry (POE) systems designed to reduce specific health-related contaminants, such as Cryptosporidium, Giardia, lead, volatile organic chemicals (VOCs), MTBE (methyl tertiary-butyl ether), that may be present in public or private drinking water.

5.0 out of 5 stars Now comes with a smaller o-ring in the box, which fixed the leaking, May 4, 2011
This review is from: Water Sentinel WSG-1 Replacement Fridge Filter (Tools & Home Improvement)
I almost bought the Brita brand filter again after reading about all the people experiencing leak problems, but I couldn't resist the savings. I've used the original GE MWF filter in my GE fridge, then switched to the Brita brand and have replaced several of those. I just recently found the WaterSentinal brand and it's about a third of the cost of the Brita. I went to install it in my fridge and like many others my fridge just sprayed water everywhere. It screwed in all the way like it was supposed to, but wouldn't stay sealed. When I opened the box I noticed another o-ring in there with a note that stated if it leaked then use this o-ring, so I quickly swapped out the o-ring and I was in business. I ran it for 5 minutes as they say to clear all the crud out, and I'm pleased to say that this filter works just as well as either the GE or Brita filter ever did. The flow is also noticeably faster too. Water and ice from this filter tastes the same, and I saved a bunch of cash! I'll be buying again for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job - as claimed, July 27, 2009
jazzbanjo (Mid-Atlantic area) - See all my reviews
Installation was a cinch. Does what it claims. Cheaper than the GE filter. However, I think it's overpriced for what it is, but I guess they tailor their $ to GE's cost which is just ridiculous.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not A Satisfactory OEM Replacement Water Filter, February 8, 2012
If you are considering to purchase the Water Sentinel WSG-1 as a OEM replacement filter for the GE-MWF, be aware of the hidden-fact that, although the (WSG-1) housing cartridge has been designed to fit your GE Refrigerator, the flaw with the (WSG-1) is the small 'constricted-size' of the water port that was designed for water to flow through this filter. The water port on the GE MWF is about 1/2" in diameter which is sufficient in size to allow water to pass through the filter freely & unrestricted.

When I removed the packaging and plastic water port cap seal from the (WSG-1) I discovered that the water-port-hole designed for this filter was not even 1/4" in diameter (less than half of the GE-MWF) and extremely small in comparison to the water-port-diameter of the GE-MWF.

In conclusion, the engineers that designed the GE-MWF obviously decided that a minimum water-port-size of 1/2" was needed for this filter to function properly. In my opinion, whoever designed engineered the Water Sentinel (WSG-1) filter cartridge to replace the GE-MWF, clearly 'shorted-sighted' the OEM guidelines for the diameter of the GW-MWF water-port, and in that regard is the reason why I returned the Water Sentinel WSG-1 to Amazon for a refund.

Unfortunately for the consumer, Brita & Aguafresh have discontinued production of their GE-MWF replacement filters, which consequently has given GE an outrageously ($ high-priced $) monopoly on their replacement filters for their GE Refrigerators.

Activated Carbon is cheap, and so is the plastic filter housing unit. Realistically, this filter could be sold for about the same price as an oil filter for your car and still return a profit. The GE in this case...'G' is for Greed, and 'E' is for the Economic consumer shaft perpetrated by the multinational corporations.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware, February 5, 2010
I purchased this for my GE refrig and it does NOT work properly. No matter how many times I tried to install it, it continuously sprays water inside the refrigerator. I will say, however that the Water Sentinel is a good company and admitted that they have had more than one complaint about it not working on some GEs. They are sending out a new one that "should work" at no cost to me even though I didn't order directly from them. So -- just be aware that you may get one that is defective or just not compatible.

1.0 out of 5 stars Caution: does not filter lead, other impurities, December 22, 2010
Caution, the Water Sentinel WSG-1 product is not a direct replacement for GE MWF water filter. The WSG-1 meets only NSF/ANSI Standard 42 for aesthetic affects, while the MWF also meets Standard 53 for health effects, reducing substances including cysts, lead, and mercury.

Also, the WSG-1 did not fit in my GE Profile refrigerator. I returned the WSG-1 units I ordered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Replacement Filter, May 15, 2010
GRE (Scottsdale, AZ) - See all my reviews
Received the Water Sentinel filter quickly, it fits properly, and flows much better than other replacements I've used. At a fraction of the cost of the OEM or other brand replacements, I will buy many more. Overall, a great product at a great price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Work great at a much lower cost, April 21, 2009
I purchased these instead of the GE WMF filter because the GE's were SOOO expensive. This is the first time I've purchased something other than GE filters. They work just fine. One thing I would say, though, is make sure you turn the water off to the frig before you change the filter. My husband didn't do that and we had a flood in the frig.

3.0 out of 5 stars Product photo is misleading, May 13, 2011
1. Although the product description says in fine print "by Water Sentinel" the product photo seems to suggest it is made by GE with GE logo prominently displayed and all the GE models listed. When I purchased it, I was under the impression that I was getting a GE product. No. It is a generic replacement for the authentic item. If you are expecting a genuine GE item then skip this product.
2. The installation instructions were straightforward and if followed precisely work just fine. You have to make sure that the "O" ring provided is in place before you install it otherwise you'll get water leaks...more like torrents. They do provide an extra "O" ring just in case the one with the filter falls off or is not in place.
3. As for performance, after the initial air-bubbles cleared, it works as advertised. I can't tell any difference in water quality or taste than from the genuine GE filter. Since I just installed it today, I can't speak for the long term performance.
4. Unlike GE, it comes with a set of month stickers. You can either put one on the filter to indicate the month of installation or the month when the filter needs replacement (usually about 6 months later). On my refrigerator there is an indicator light that comes on when the filter is to be replaced. So I put the sticker to indicate the month of installation.

I just wish the product description was clearer on the manufacturer/distributer so that the purchaser won't feel deceived as I did. To me it is a matter of truth in advertising and the manufacturer's integrity. For this reason I only give it three stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sentinal filter seems fine and costs less., October 4, 2011
I just got these two weeks ago as a replacement to the Brita's I had been getting for a couple of years. We live in the Boston metro area (no well water), and there seems to be a fair amount of sediment in the water (old city pipes maybe).

My Brita Pitcher filter prior to this never clogged and we used it about 4 times as long as it suggested. The GE and Brita filters "clogged" or became unusable after 3-4 months making drinking water relatively expensive. I don't know what kind of difference there is in the filter so I don't know if they truly get clogged or if they are designed to lock up after so long. I will eventually cut a used one open to find out.

There was only a single gasket in the Sentinal box (other reviewers said they had a second in the box). I compared it to the Brita gasket and it was thinner. So I put the Brita gasket in the Sentinal. NO LEAKING. Don't know if the Sentinal gasket would have been fine but I didn't want to take the time to find out.

Other differences are that the Sentinal has a flat bottom and the Brita rounded. The Sentinal has a notch in the mounting plate (unlike the Brita). Documentation says it is there to check for leaking.

How's it compare? I don't know about taste. It seems the same to me. Without testing water samples from each I have no idea if one is better at filtering then the other. The Sentinal definately runs water faster then the Brita.

I will try to upload some pics and hopefully update this as it starts to clog/slow down.

Water Sentinel WSG-1 Replacement Fridge Filter