Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on November 16, 2006
I agree with the positive comments in the earlier reviews. This is a great book covering all common forms of water storage vehicles, with plenty of technical details so you really can undertake these projects yourself. The section on ferrocement water tanks is very comprehensive; the plans for building the beautiful urn-shaped tank shown on the cover are worth the price of the book! Our area averages about 18 inches of rainfall each year; the important word in that statement is "averages." We have had as little as 10" one year, only to be inundated with 40" the next. Our 8500 gallons of water storage captures most of our roof runoff and allows us to water our gardens, greenhouses, and fruit trees with rainwater instead of high-mineral ground water during dry times (which is most of the time). Rainwater is better for the plants and storing it keeps our well from being stressed by watering. I also highly recommend Art Ludwig's books about greywater; we incorporated some of his design concepts when we built our house. To me, greywater reuse is the flip side of the water-catchment coin, allowing us to make the best use of this most precious resource.
11 comment| 216 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 17, 2005
Most of us, in the United States at least, grew up where the supply of water was so simple. Your house was automatically connected to the city water mains when it was built and for a few dollars a month all the water you needed was supplied at the turn of a tap.

My first home made water supply was out in the Louisiana swamps where average rainfall was more than fifty inches a year. It was a simple matter to build a catch system that caught the rain off the roof. But it was full of crud. A simple little device to catch the first of the rain in a bucket and when the bucket was full it pulled the outlet over to the big cistern and I had a water supply.

Later I moved to the desert and water got a lot more tricky, with rainfall of eight inches a year the rules are different. The biggest projects were a series of about five thousand small enclosed catch basins which were burried in every little dry creek bed to catch what little water there was for birds to drink. Yes, it may sound silly, but that's what the people with the money wanted.

As for this book, I only wish that I had known what contained in it when I started. Everything he says sounds so simple, makes so much sense that I wonder why I had to spend so much time making mistakes that taught me these same things.

If you're going to go play in the water business, either for yourself, or even for a water department read this book first.
44 comments| 167 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 7, 2005
This is a friendly book that reads like a conversation with a very knowledgeable expert. The language is simple without being condescending, so a layperson can read it without becoming confused or overwhelmed. It is packed with information, explaining all aspects of choosing and implementing the design that best meets your needs. It is an essential read for anyone who needs to store water (which is all of us). If you buy one book on water storage, this should be it!
0Comment| 118 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 17, 2009
Having no prior familiarity with the topic of this book, I read it with the hope of obtaining a general understanding of the process of storing water and in particular for the intent of learning about concrete tanks for residential use. The book is only 119 pages, but is 8.5 x 11 and packs a lot of content into that small space.

Simply stated, this book is about residential water storage. It outlines a variety of ways in which water can be safely stored and then specifies the advantages and disadvantages of each. For my interest, the book was an excellent primer on concrete tanks. I had a general conceptual idea of what I thought I was looking for and this book helped expand the details; such as the design for the cover on the tank, the inlet and outlet, valves, gauges, etc.

If you are looking for a book that is a good general guide on how to do water storage - this book will likely satisfy your needs. The writing style is fluid and easy to follow and there is no technical language requiring any prior knowledge of the field.
on December 27, 2007
I Built a 10,000 Gal tank straight out of this book for US$ 1,500.
It looks good & it doesn't leak.
What more can you ask for ?
33 comments| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 8, 2008
I purchased this book mainly due to the picture of the water urn on the cover. The plans for it are included. This book has a lot of information regarding water sources and water collection and containment. Recommend for anyone interested in water collection/conservation. I do wish the pictures inside the book were in color (the are all black and white).
on September 16, 2011
Was disappointed with this book. Was looking for something more on the line of water harvesting and storage procedures. It focused mostly on the making of ferrocement water tanks which I would not in the least try to construct. Still looking for a good rain harvesting & storage book.
on March 19, 2013
If you want an overview of what can be done, this is a good book. However, if you are looking to actually build a water storage unit, the book is useless. It's very short, has lots of charts and pictures and was of no use to me.
on June 2, 2012
I am planning to install a very large standalone water storage tank on some property outside of town. As polypropylene doesn't have a long lifespan in bright sunlight, I looked into an alternative method of keeping water available to drink. This book subtitled Water Storage: tanks, cisterns, aquifers, and ponds for domestic supply and so on provide you and I the readers what would normally be considered a fairly small book is phenomenally dense with usable information found in books 4 and five times as thick. For me, this book was so informative, that I have decided to build pretty much exactly as I've seen in this book. And this is what helps differentiate this from others: you actually see the author and assistance actually building the tanks as described. This is not one of those I don't do it but I do say it: this is the real deal and I gave this five out of five stars. So not only does this book address tanks and cisterns and so on, it is very educational on water table where to put a drain from a cesspool and other extremely valuable pieces of information necessary to ensure that the water that you and your family will be drinking will be safe. In closing, this book will be extremely helpful and is very clear and how to do it, so seriously consider using this as not only a reference, but an extremely valuable how-to book.
on August 4, 2007
Too much social and environmental commentary which I have noticed is common for books on this subject. I just want information on how to best design and build a water collection system. The benefits are obvious to anyone who would buy this book so why use half the book to convince the reader?
22 comments| 96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse