6,547 Reviews
 (4,350)
 (1,299)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great waterpik for home use
Published 10 months ago by edlina green

3.0 out of 5 stars WP-100 Waterpik - Not what they used to be...
I'm not sure why they don't refer to this Waterpik with its model number, WP-100. That's what it is. (they've since changed the name from 'professional' to WP-100)

Published on November 5, 2006 by Cooper

5.0 out of 5 stars Great waterpik for home use, January 28, 2014
This review is from: Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser (Health and Beauty)
For near-dental quality ‘water-flossing’ I would say the Water Flosser (from Waterpik) is as good as you can get in an ‘at-home’ model. While there are many things about it that could be better (the plastic has a cheap feeling to it, the product itself is very light-weight) the improvements would likely raise the cost of this product by hundreds of dollars. For the price, this is as good as it gets.

While I have been really working hard to ‘beautify’ my smile for an upcoming wedding, I use the Waterpik as part of a healthy regimen of cleaning my teeth. It has 8 different attachments, but you really only need to use the 3 standard jets and the 1 attachment for deep gum cleaning. I’ve been using This teeth dental-strength whitening kit for the past few weeks in preparation for the wedding, and because of this, I was worried that my gums would be a bit sensitive if flossed too much. Luckily this unit has 7 different speeds, so regardless of whether or not you floss or if you’re trying to use different cosmetic whitening solutions this product will still work well. I’m happy to say that using this has helped me not only keep my mouth free of periodontal disease but has enabled me to floss with water while using the whitening product. My gums are still healthy as can be and my teeth are white as ever.

The one complaint I do have about this product is the hose is quite short. This means you have to have the product very close to the sink in order to use it. I would make sure to have an extension cord handy so this product doesn’t end up being a cumbersome task of plugging and un-plugging whenever you want to use it.

Asides from that, I really have no complaints about this. I’m giving it a 5 out of 5 stars. The people who give it a lower grade fail to remember the value they’re getting for their buck. I always look at the value for the product in comparison to the results, and am happy with this purchase decision.

1,960 of 2,053 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with this. Quiet operation, large water reservoir, variety of tips, October 24, 2011
Length:: 3:55 Mins

UPDATE: 1/24/2014 - Waterpik has a new model, the Aquarius Model WP660C, Waterpik Aquarius Professional Water Flosser, White Satin Base with Crystal Clear Reservoir. It's been updated with a few new features. It has a gum massage feature and to help you pace your flossing it pulses at 30 and 60 seconds. It runs for 90 seconds on a full tank at the highest pressure setting. The WP-100W has a clunky storage space on the top for storing the tips and the WP-660C does away with that while allowing the storage of two tips between the reservoir and body of the waterpik. It is much lighter in weight (not sure if that's good or not) and is attractive in a waterpik kind of way. You may want to consider checking out my review of the WP-660C before making your decision on which to get. I actually prefer this Ultra WP-100W in spite of the new features of the Aquarius WP-660C

---

I'm very pleased with this Waterpik Ultra WP-100W water flosser. Prior to this I owned an Interplak Dental Water Jet, 1 each and I was quite happy with how long it lasted. That one lasted 3 years with daily use and started to leak at the handle so I decided it was time to buy a new one. Unable to locate the same thing locally, I decided to purchase the Waterpik WP-100 and so far I find it superior to the Interplak.

The Waterpik operates on 120V, 60Hz only.
Measures at the base 5.5" wide, 4.75" deep.
Cord length is about 54" which is quite generous.

It's got a small footprint so doesn't take up much counter space. The Interplak didn't take up much space either, but the Interplak was very light and it was more difficult to remove the water reservoir than with the Waterpik. The Waterpik is heftier and feels more substantial and better built.

I was also quite surprised at how quiet it is. Compared to the Interplak which made a LOT of noise, this is very quiet.

I think the water reservoir has more than enough capacity for me and I seldom fill it all the way to the top. Usually about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way to get a thorough amount of flossing action. With the water reservoir filled completely and the pressure set to mid-range it will operate for 2 minutes 45 seconds.

A large variety of tips are included, most of which I never use. But if you have orthodontic appliances, then there are tips that you will appreciate for getting around the orthodontics. there is only one standard tip however so if you are not the only person using the machine, you'll have to purchase some additional "normal" tips for other users.

I have the pressure setting set to 7 and it's plenty powerful enough for me.

The handle has a really handy button to temporarily stop the flow of water and I also really like the rotating tip feature that lets you easily manipulate the tip position while its in your mouth without having to do contortions with your hand and arm.

It's a winner. Now I just hope it lasts for years. I'll update my review if necessary.

UPDATE: August 12, 2012 - My WaterPik is now almost a year old and is still working perfectly. I use it every day. No leaks, no odd noises. It's doing its job well.

UPDATE: May 19, 2013 - Still going strong. No problems.

UPDATE: January 24, 2014 - Still going strong. No problems.

1,722 of 1,845 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Say "Goodby" to the Tooth Fairy!, September 22, 2006
john charles webb (Honolulu, HI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser (Health and Beauty)
As far as "Water Piks" go this model is pretty snazzy and seems to work quite well. It comes with 8 attachments:

* 3 standard jets * 3 tongue cleaners * 1 pik pocket (cute name) for deeper gum purging and * 1 orthodontic tip (with small brush on end) for cleaning braces.

- The 'tongue cleaners' are worthless contrivances that simulate drowning.

You can clean your tongue much better with a standard tooth brush (although a coated tongue generally indicates the need for a dietary change, like more fruit, salad and less gunky foods).

- The orthodontic tip seems that it will work great for braces.

- The pik pocket (narrow tip) does not work as good as it should. Rather than increasing the water pressure the narrower tip actually slows it down. It may be convenient in some tight spots. It is good to have but seems to be of rather limited use compared with the standard jet tips.

The standard jet tips work quite excellently (4 stars) and will surprise you with how much junk is left behind by regular brushing and flossing.

- Most adult dental problems are caused by infrequent (below the gum line) professional cleaning and/or ignoring to floss. The Waterpik is designed to give you a significant 'edge' in keeping your teeth and gums in good condition by getting between the teeth and below (somewhat) the gum line to remove the 'left-behind gunk' before it turns into plaque, bleeding gums, and a myriad of problem$$$. Poor oral hygiene is the main cause of tooth-loss regardless of age.

- This "Ultra" model is powerful (100 watts) and does the job of power-washing your teeth and gums quite well. The design is stylish, has a relatively small footprint, a lid that houses the attachments and which also keeps the water reservoir covered.

- It is only a bit quieter than earlier Waterpik models and the hose could be about 7 inches longer for an optimum length. However, these minor design issues are insignificant with what this device accomplishes. It cleans between your teeth and along the gum line to assist greatly in preserving your pearly whites!

- Amazon's price of $49.00 (as of 9-06) is excellent and also includes free shipping. If the $49.00 seems a bit too steep then search Amazon for "WaterPik WP-72 Professional Dental Water Jet" priced at $33.26 with free shipping. The reviews are good for the WP-72 (some mechanical issues). However, both of these items carry a two year warranty.

- The attachments on this unit are different from those on many earlier units, so if you intend to get any additional accessories (e.g. nasal passage cleaner, etc. - no kidding) then they must be made for this specific model or similar models.

- This model has 10 pressure settings (a dial), however, anything below setting 6 would seem rather weak and insufficient (irrigation only). The handle also has a stop/start button for water flow (only). The power switch is safely on the side of the unit.

- Using a Waterpik is (can be) a bit quirky, splashy and squirty. It is, never-the-less, a most excellent tool to assist in promoting excellent oral hygiene and getting the bathroom all to yourself.

- I believe that the few dollars extra for this model is because this "ultra" model is a cut above. There are some Water Pik reviews stating that the recent models do not seem as durable as the earlier models. This most recent model (Ultra) seems integral, gets the job done well and is smaller and more stylish than earlier models.

1,281 of 1,385 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Waterpik first timer (for the product AND periodontal disease!), December 1, 2007
Katy Lake (The People's Republic of New Jersey) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser (Health and Beauty)
I've always prided myself on my good teeth. I thought that flossing and brushing was enough...that was until I went to the dentist, and he said I had the beginnings of periodontal disease. That scared the hell out of me.

I went home and started using the Sonicare I had bought but never plugged in. That was good, but not enough - I bought a Waterpik because obviously flossing wasn't cutting it.

I had never used a Waterpik before, and it was some revelation! I'm still amazed that there are some Waterpik oldtimers who say this machine isn't strong enough...uh, for what? Peeling paint off a brick wall? This thing absolutely knocked my socks off when it came to the PRESSURE.

I started out at 2 and worked my way up to 7 - it still stings like mad, but I'm getting used to it by now. I put Listerine in the tank to increase the anti-bacteria result.

My dentist went on vacation, and I had to cancel another appointment, so it happened that almost two months had elapsed since the last time I had seen him. In that time, I faithfully brushed with the Sonicare four times a day and used the Waterpik at least once (several tankfuls of water and Listerine worth.)

Regarding the leaking people talk about - the only time the tank leaks, I notice, is if I put my fingers on the seal when I'm refilling it. If I'm careful to keep my fingers away from that seal, the tank is water tight.

So when I returned for my check-up, the dentist was AMAZED. He wasn't sure what I had done, but he said my gums looked pink and healthy! He had said initially I'd have to get my teeth cleaned every three months because I must be one of those people who gets a tartar build up quicker than other people...well, I had worked religiously on scaling back the plaque. (I had also bought a dental mirror so I could check the back of my front teeth for telltale plaque residue.)

Hmmm, no comment about that plaque...was it because there WASN'T any? My dentist asked me if I had been eating because there was so little build up (I had to tear that out of him because I KNEW he didn't want to give me credit for working that hard on my dental hygiene!)

The dentist HADN'T recommended a Waterpik, but I knew I had to go to the extreme to beat back the periodontal enemy. My teeth are so clean, they squeak!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the BEST investments that I have ever made!, October 3, 2014
Do42 (ATLANTA, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser (Health and Beauty)
This unit is fantastic! I wonder why dentists always mention the old fashioned string floss but rarely a water flosser? I believe the water flosser reduces your need for the dentist and has a much higher use rate once a person starts. Is it a conspiracy? I don't know but I do know the water flosser is not the best thing since sliced bread, it is BETTER than sliced bread. It will help remove the bread stuck between your teeth.

PROS:

1. Leaves your teeth and gums super clean.

2. Actually is a joy to use.
Once you use it for about a week, you ACTUALLY look forward to water flossing which is the opposite of string flossing.

3. FAR MORE enjoyable than regular flossing. Yes, I needed to say that twice.

4. It cleans between my teeth BETTER than regular flossing.

5. At my last dental cleaning after a few months of the water flosser, there was literally nothing for the dentist to clean. Normally I have quite a bit of tarter and plaque that requires a lot of unpleasant scraping. So it cleans my teeth better, not just between my teeth.

6. Simple to use. At first you may spray some water over the counter until you get the hang of it.

7. Adjustable. You can adjust the force from 1 to 10. I use 10 and that's plenty powerful (I'm a macho non-squeamish man).
Most will prefer the middle range.

8. Quick. A tank of water lasts 90 seconds on level 10. In 90 seconds your mouth is clean.

9. Relatively inexpensive for what it does.
Cheaper than a pair of running shoes, four IMAX movies or the emotional turmoil from losing the love of your life because your teeth are messed up.

10. Definitely increases my gum health by the massage action which flossing does not do. Some of the reviews gives you actual dental numbers of gum health. They state their gum numbers at the dentist improved from 5's and 6's to 2's and 3's (lower is better). I fully believe that. When I went back to the dentist after a few months of using the water flosser the dentist found virtually no tarter or plague on or between my teeth. Normally it is a good bit of very uncomfortable scraping but not after the water flosser.

The dentist also said that my gums did no bleeding like they normally do when the dentist flosses during the cleaning. Although I did not have objective gum numbers, my gums are definitely in better shape.

Cons:

1. No truly small portable unit. Once I've gotten used to the water flosser I miss it when I travel.
2. Somewhat noisy. If someone is sleeping in an adjacent bathroom, it will likely wake them up.
3. Needs AC power
4. Takes up counter space

There really aren't any significant cons that I can find on this unit.

This is one of the best investments in my health that I have ever made.

Both you and your smile will love this unit!

5.0 out of 5 stars LONG TIME WATER PIK'er: THIS IS A GREAT ONE, January 15, 2007
This review is from: Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser (Health and Beauty)
This is my fourth or fifth water pik. I use it every night. They last about 4 years tops and then it's time to get another one. The size of this one is a nice feature, a little taller and narrower. Looks nicer out on the sink. The top part that holds all the accessories is terrific because it's a nice top on the reservoir and you always know where all the accessories and extras are. I read that someone keeps the reservoir filled and liked the top part so as to cover up the water. HELLO???? Why is anyone keeping water in there all day? Use it at night, empty it by using the water pik, and then cover it with the nice white top and go to bed!

The pik works great. The on-off switch is nice. The pressure control dial is accurate and responsive. It is a littler quieter than my last waterpik. It starts as soon as you turn it on. I keep the pressure control in the middle. After all my years of waterpikking & flossing, midrange is good for me. You'd think I'd be higher but no, midrange is a very strong pulse and good for me.

The reservoir is too small for me but NO PROBLEM. I keep a plastic wine glass in the bathroom and fill it up along with the reservoir. Midway through waterpikking, I dump the glass of water in the reservoir. No stopping and taking the reservoir off the base. I dump the water in while water-pik'ing and with the machine still on. In fact, I never take the reservoir off the base. I fill the aforementioned plastic wine glass with warm water and dump it into the reservoir. With my particular dollar store plastic wine glass, it takes 2 1/2 filled glasses of warm water and the other 1/2 is left for the end when I need just a little more water in the reservoir.

I really like the way this waterpik looks and functions. Having to replenish the water in the reservoir is not an issue for me at all. If I had to stop the pik, take the reservoir off the base, turn on the water to fill it, secure the reservoir tightly back on the base, that would get old quickly. Remember my tip about replenishing the water and you will love this waterpik.

EDITED ON 2-14-08: I still love this WaterPik. Everything I said above continues to be true. I just ordered this yesterday as a gift for someone and today I'm ordering it for someone else. A really really good WaterPik.

EDITED ON 5-19-12: This water pik continues to go strong. I use it every night in a effort to keep my teeth nice and fully intact and so should everybody! (Sonicare and floss, too; the whole shebang)

EDITED ON 10-13-13: The machine died. Just like that. I feel like I didn't get enough years out of it so my new one is Interplak Swj1 Sonic Water Jet for $35.33. That one is pretty good. Check my review to see how long it lasts.

3.0 out of 5 stars WP-100 Waterpik - Not what they used to be..., November 5, 2006
This review is from: Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser (Health and Beauty)

I have used Waterpiks over the years, and finally broke down an bought another after years of doing without. As far as their usefulness as a dental device, I think they're great. My dentist doesn't think that highly of them, but after paying him $5000 for dental surgery, maybe he just wants to assure himself of continued business.

I don't floss much, and I'm not that dedicated toothbrusher either. So when I use the pik, and there are always some food particles dislodged by it, even after flossing, I figure it must be doing some good.

As far as this model goes, it works as expected, but I don'tr find any improvments over the model I had 30 years ago. From the picture it looks bigger. So it has a smaller footprint than I expected, but the reservoir is also quite small. It's just big enough for a cursory cleaning without having to refill it.

The pressure is quite a bit lower than older models. I don't know if there is a legitmate reason for having a lower pressure, or if it's a matter manufacturing costs. I'd like a stronger jet for my preferences.

The hose that connects the handle is way too short. You really need to keep the unit right next to the edge of the sink, and bend over. Again, I find no reason to do this except cost savings.

Now it comes with several tips (30 years ago, there was only one flavor). Tounge cleaner, pick pocket, orthodontic tip, and plain vanilla. I can't say that any of the new designs adds anything to the operation.

I hardly would call this unit 'professional'. It feels like it will have a limited life, and is hardly what I would call robust. I think a more apt description would be 'Compact Basic'.

update 12/2/2006:

Older WaterPiks used to have pressure fit tips (and worked fine). This has a button on the handle to release the tip, and it is located right where your thumb would be when holding it. The tip is constantly popping out because of this design flaw. With the short hose, 16oz capacity, weak pressure, my disappointment with this unit is only growing. I wish I could find a 25 year old model which had none of these problems.

update 01/10/2007 - If I could, I'd reduce my rating of this unit to 1 star. The designers must have been on vacation when they released this thing. The handle has a knurled collar, which you'd think could be used to rotate the tip, but it doesn't. The tips are not keyed, so they won't necessarily turn when you rotate the collar. As I said, the release button for the tips is in a place where it's easy to press inadvertently. You can't turn the unit off and on with one hand due to its light weight. The hose is too short. The reservoir cover holds the extra tips, and is not convenient, nor do I trust it to keep the reservoir protected from ambient germs or bacteria. I really wish I could find one of the old models, which had none of these problems, so I could toss this one in the trash. Don't waste the extra money on this one, or if you have a old broken one, get it repaired instead of buying this thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent design updates, February 16, 2007
E. Karasik (Washington, DC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser (Health and Beauty)
Waterpik is a great product, and my dental hygienist agrees that using one has made all the difference in the health of my teeth and gums. I had to scrap my old one after my cat chewed through the little tube leading to the jet, and was very pleasantly surprised to discover that the design has been improved in several ways: (1) it has a smaller "footprint" which takes much less space on my bathroom counter; (2) it is significantly quieter, so I can now use it late at night without fear of disturbing the neighbors; (3) the little tube to the jet is now designed in such a manner that when you replace the jet in the bracket after use, the tube coils neatly and disappears into the body of the device (safe from little cat teeth); and (4) the whole device is more streamlined and attractive-looking. Others have correctly noted that the well for holding water is not as large as in the older models, however I have not found this to be a problem, and it only takes a second to add more water if you need it. Nice to see a product that has been intelligently redesigned!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Flossing!!, October 22, 2010
I purchased this elsewhere, but I love it. I've had it for almost two years. I strongly recommend starting near the lowest setting, as this little pump can actually put out a somewhat dangerous amount of water pressure and could cause you serious injury if you're not careful and shoot yourself in the eyes, or even under the tongue, etc.

Start soft and work your way up to a stronger stream as your gums get stronger, and they will soon with regular use. Gum health is incredibly important for the long lasting oral hygiene. It can actually be a joy to use and the pulsing stream of warm water can be quite soothing and make your mouth feel fresh and rejuvenated right before bed.

This is a MUCH better alternative to flossing and is actually a lot healthier for your gums as well and does a more thorough job. The pulsing water can actually work out food and bacteria that is unreachable with floss. I hope you found my review useful. :)

1.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating experience, January 25, 2007
This review is from: Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser (Health and Beauty)
I have contacted WaterPik for a replacement handle three times, and each time the new handle breaks within two weeks. Water leaks (pours!) out of the connecting point between handle and tip, and also at the release button --so much that you lose all pressure. I've spent 12 weeks trying to get a fully functional model, and have given up. I am now returning the whole unit to Amazon, but have had to deal with their "30 day return policy" problems to boot. I should have just returned the unit when the first handle gave out. Meanwhile, I picked up a HydroFloss from my dentist today, and it beats the socks off of the WaterPik. A bit noisier, but better built, better jet action, and larger tank capacity.

Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser