Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

on September 10, 2013
The Good: Video and audio quality is very good. One might have to adjust the exposure-setting for night time use if your vehicle has very bright headlights. Love the LCD screen for video review, settings manipulation and adjustment. For a more detailed review look up "Techmoan."

The Bad: Freezes at the "Welcome" screen a lot. There are two "remedies" for this condition. One, is to turn it on and off until you get past "Welcome" page; or two, is to let it sit on "Welcome" page for awhile - three minutes or more - then turn it off, then back on.
Needless to say...very annoying. It appears to be happening to other users of this camera so caveat lector.

In summary, when the camera is working as it should you shall be satisfied, but you may experience the camera freezing on the "Welcome" page when turning it on.

UPDATE:

I returned it...tried to live with recurring freezing problem, but waiting 5 minutes or more meant gone were the days of jumping in the jalopy and gone in 60 seconds.
on January 24, 2014
After doing some lengthy research on this camera I decided to purchase it. The sj1000 when using it in the Auto DVR Vehicle mode requires the user to manually turn it off and on. It does not turn off whenever it is plugged into a micro USB device for charging and simultaneous videoing when placing the ignition in the off position.. I find this to be a great feature because there are times that you might be videoing and have to make numerous vehicle stops to get in and out of the car. It will film continuously until it has filled the micro SD card or you manually turn it off. I also find this to be a great feature to prevent electronic surges when turning on the ignition.

Pro's: Excellent 1080p resolution for the price

Excellent use of the Auto Vehicle mode. This action camera when used as an automobile DVR does not have any road shake you see in some of the expensive models of other brands.

This camera kit includes just about every mounting hardware you can image and they are all interchangeable with each other.

The sj1000 has a great feature for immediately adjusting the video when you are facing directly in the sun. The shading from the sun is almost instantaneous.

Cons: The up and down buttons tend to click when videoing with sound. The way to fix this issue is to place a small piece of tape across those two buttons.

When using the water-proof case verbal audio is greatly diminished. It's strange because it will pick up the radio and other noises when filming but when you speak it tends to record your voice distant.. This is the only reason I gave it 4 stars.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 2, 2013
Five star rating for one reason.... Price.

But the other four stars....

well Its a fine little camera, I have three of them and they all work flawlessly

It way out preforms my original-gopro in low light and is at least comparable in clarity, color and contrast.
sound is... decent... the buttons rattle to the point that you cant hear anything else, but a piece of tape solves that problem.

The case is kinda crappy but it gets the job done.
I like these mounts over the gopros, but there still pretty much useless (a roll of duct tape does much MUCH better)

Overall, im very pleased to have three hd cameras and three 64gb SD card for the same price as a single gopro3 (with no SD card)
The only thing I regret is the gopro3 does high speed shooting at 220 (or something) Fps, and the sj1000 only does standerd speed. (and obviously the gopro3 has wifi...if your in to that kinda stuff....)

But if i had another 400 buck to spend, id get more sj1000s

p.s. Make sure you dont pay $99... you can find this cam for around $80 with free sipping and a free 1 year warranty from china... They said it could take two months to arrive but I got all three of mine within two weeks!! the seller was BAIKLOV. Im Very pleased.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 28, 2014
So far I love the results of the video. The only thing that
needs improvement is the LCD screen, sometimes it is very hard to view due to your angle
or sunlight on the screen. I have notice the brighter the lighting in the room the clearer
your video will be. The video appears grainy in low light. For $84.95 I am very happy with
this compact camera.WARNING!! BE VERY CAREFUL WITH SOME OF THE CAMERA MOUNTS! ESPECIALLY THE ONE THAT JUST CLIPS AROUND THE CAMERA, THE CAMERA CAN & WILL FALL OUT THE MOUNT ONTO THE FLOOR! I had to convert the video to upload on Amazon so it suffered QUALITY LOSS!
ORIGINAL VIDEO 807MB CONVERTED VIDEO 45.9 MB
but you will get an ideal of it's functions. Look for better quality SJ1000 videos on the internet.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 18, 2014
I found the camera packaged very well. Intuitive to use, with excellent video quality. The camera arrived within two weeks of the order. A small dust speck on the inside of the lens cover was frustrating but removed itself after a couple of days of use. The car charger stopped functioning after two weeks of use. Replacement was fairly easy and inexpensive at an electronics outlet. The wall charger that came with the camera is for European use, not American. Purchased a 5A charger for use in the home. Mounting brackets take a little contemplation to use successfully. There were no surprises in this purchase since all of the minor annoyances were mentioned in previous reviews. I am happy with how well the camera operates.
on July 27, 2014
Small, rugged, took some awesome video. Way better than what I was expecting for the price. Microphone isn't that great, but for the price it did exactly what I needed. Also came with great mounts and the sync cable.
on January 31, 2014
GoPro that I wanted was 300 and up.. then I went started researching these things.. TechMoan review on YouTube convinced me, for something I may use 2-3 times a year why spend the extra money when this camera is almost (and at times better) as good.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 31, 2013
I never thought I'd get the pictures I got with a $99 camera. The videos are clear and sharp in details. I compared my videos with those of people who rented Go-Pros at the picture store at the ski resort, and there was no difference in quality or clarity + they had paid $50 a day for their rental. Simply stated, I made a great purchase with this still and video camera.
on January 26, 2015
Bought this for my 8-year-old son so he could record our trail rides on his mountain bike. He was very excited. On unboxing the camera seemed great. But here are my issues:

* When in the case the sound quality is so bad that you really can't hear anything. Sound is almost completely muffled. Unlike the GoPro, there are no options for leaving the back of the case open to capture better sound.
* It comes with a lot of mounts, but they are all extremely low quality and flimsy. The clip mount for carrying on your person is so flimsy that it would take a huge leap of faith to use it. I'm pretty sure at some point it would fall out.
* When mounted on the handle bars using the mount provide, it was impossible to get all of the screws tight enough to hold the camera in place. We constantly had to stop and readjust it's orientation and tighten it down.
* When mounted and in the case, all one can hear is constant squeaking noises. I believe this comes from the metal buttons on the case. So even if the back could be opened for better sound recording, it would be drowned out by the squeaking.
* The video was terrible. Not the resolution. Just the quality. That's because of the cheap mount. The camera shook and jittered so much during the ride because the mount was so feeble, that you would need an air sickness bag after watching a minute or two.
* No the worst part. After one ride in it's case on the handlebar mount, the LCD stopped working. Yep. Just stopped working all together. That wouldn't be that bad except you MUST have it to navigate the menu system and use the camera.

So in the end, I'm mailing this camera back today to Amazon and will spring the extra $60 for the basic GoPro. I think in this instance you truly do get what you pay for.
on October 11, 2014
Outstanding buy! This is a super camera for the price but it's not perfect.

Pros: Clear, sharp images and reasonably good low-light performance with adjustable exposure settings.
Multitude of quality mounting hardware and options though some functions are not too clear. Not flimsy as described by some reviewers.
Waterproof case is simple but effective and it works.
Video image stabilization is adjustable with four settings (high, medium, low & off) but can't figure out why. I would think on and off should be sufficient. It's called "gravity sensing?"
Multiple resolution settings to accommodate a variety of situations with two speeds (30 & 60 fps) at 720p.
Multiple modes to set up as vehicle camera, surveillance camera, still camera, trail camera with motion detection and multiple recording cycle lengths.
Battery life is very reasonable at 2 to 3 hours. Spare batteries are not expensive (about $12) on Amazon but ship from China.

Cons: Instructions are virtually useless in very, very poor chinglish. I learned more just working my way through the menus than I did trying to interpret the instructions. YouTube review by Techmoan (also a reviewer here) provided extensive but not complete assistance in learning how to operate the camera and what features it includes.
Uses for mounting hardware are not clear nor intuitive. All mounts seem to require upside-down mounting in a vehicle (as mentioned by others) and rotating in editing software (I use Windows Movie Maker). However, when image is rotated, date stamp appears in reverse.
There's supposed to be a digital zoom feature but I have yet to figure out how to access and use it. The wide-angle is 140 degrees by default but it would be helpful to be able to reduce this with a digital zoom. I'll update if I figure out how.
Buttons on waterproof case do not provide positive feedback so there's no way to know if the function you selected is actually working without looking at the camera. I mounted the camera on my helmet then depressed the "record" button and before starting an hour-long bike ride. When I returned I found I had not turned on the recording function when I pressed the "record" button so I had no video of the ride. To assure that the function is working in the future, I will need start the record function or an other unction before I put on my helmet. If I change functions during a ride, I will have to remove my helmet to assure it is working.
I cannot determine if the camera recycles if the card fills up when used in the cyclic mode. And, there's no indication of what the battery life is when the camera is on standby. That has implications when it is used as a surveillance camera.

Summary: This is an outstanding camera for the money. Most of the negatives are minor nuisances and can be overcome with just a little research and due diligence. While I'm grateful that instructions were included, it's a shame that the manufacturer did not make the effort to get a real, understandable translation. It would have made the experience so much more positive and this would have been a five-star review.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...