5.0 out of 5 stars The pump you never knew you needed...
I realize not everyone out there owns an RO (reverse osmosis) system and perhaps even fewer have one connected to their refrigerator. But if you do, you may want to consider this...

Published on January 11, 2012 by hiptech

2.0 out of 5 stars Was missing parts, never heard back from the manufacturer after emailing them.
The small screw that is used to adjust the water pressure was missing. After a quick visit to the hardware store, I had this working in no time. Wasn't worth my time to ship it back, but was an inconvenience to have to spend my time and money on something that should have worked right out of the box. Needs better quality control.

The pressure switch sometimes...
Published 1 month ago by Amp2020

5.0 out of 5 stars The pump you never knew you needed..., January 11, 2012
This review is from: Watts Premier 560043 Water Filtration Booster Pump Kit (Tools & Home Improvement)

We've owned an RO system since 1994, in fact we still have it. During that time we connected it to our old Maytag refrigerator's ice maker and water dispenser. Neither worked reliably or well. When the ice maker wasn't literally shooting ice cubes horizontally out the cup, it would continually freeze and malfunction (as ice makers do).

Due to abnormally high frequency of repairs the only redeeming value we derived from the parade of service technicians was the opportunity to pick their brains. Time after time, each confirmed why the door mounted water dispenser was so agonizingly slow delivering water. It was primarily due to the reduced pressure from the RO system. Since the storage tank bladder and pressure were operating within spec this made sense.

While having an RO system does provide a cleaner (no minerals) source of water, the downside is low water pressure plays havoc with ice-makers creating "ice dams" that block the H2O feeder tube. The internal ice-maker switch depends on a minimum amount of water pressure to engage. RO system pressure is typically around 7 PSI which dramatically less than city water pressure (about 30-60 PSI depending where you live). Inevitably the refrigerator water line (necessary for ice making) will freeze-up disabling the ice-maker and significantly reduce flow through the door H2O dispenser.

Just about every refrigerator manufacturer recognizes this issue and addresses it within their respective owners manual. Our new Samsung is no exception. In fact, after contacting them and they highly recommend installing a water booster pump specifically for the reasons mentioned above.

So after doing some research I found this Premier model on Amazon (coincidentally from the same manufacturer of our RO system) and ordered it for less than Premier's own website price.

Since I installed it the same time we received our new Samsung I can't definitively state any measurable improvement. But compared with the previous Maytag, water flow is noticeably faster and dispensing pressure is higher (based on observation with pump turned on and off). I realize it may be too soon to report (almost 2 months) but best of all we haven't experienced any ice issues. While I can't unequivocally state this pump is making all the difference, I do feel confident it is helping prevent any recurrence of similar ice-maker issues... so far, so good.

If you've ever replaced your RO system filters, have experience with basic tools (semi-skilled with home repairs) you can easily install this. If not, it shouldn't cost much to have someone do it, I was able to install ours in about 20 minutes. After depressurizing the RO system (same as during a filter change); mount the pump vertically to any wall (under the sink); splice one RO water line; re-pressurize the system; plug the pump into a standard 120VAC outlet (typically available under most sinks for dishwashers and disposals) and your good to go.

As for the pump, it operates automatically (on-demand) and is exceptionally quiet, we never notice it working...

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for ice makers, June 5, 2012
Works great, very quite and a must for ice maker/water dispenser. Before installing ice cubes were very small and only a trickle of water came out of the water dispenser. After installation found the pressure somewhat better but still not as good as before installing the RO system. Found specs on the pressure switch that comes with the pump and was able to adjust the pressure setting, which improved the water pressure to pre-RO.

The pressure switch is marked 40psi but the manufacture said the range is 40-60psi. There is a small Allen screw on the switch and by screwing it in you can increase the pressure at which the pump shuts down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Watts booster pump, May 26, 2011
Pump was easy to install, comes with the poly hose quick connects in place and two pieces of poly hose. Mine had the instructions - took 5 min to hook up. My dissolved solids went from 25ppm down to 6 and the product water has increased in volume by quite a bit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Met my expectations, July 13, 2012
Boris L. (Brooklyn. NY) - See all my reviews
The only reason I bought this booster pump was low pressure(20-30 psi) of tap water in my apartment building. Respectively, RO system did not work properly or stopped completely at times and tank was almost empty.It forced me to replace my 2 stage sediment filter prematurely to somehow increase water flow but did not fix the problem.
After installation (1 page instruction with diagram was clear for the job)some real revolution did happen !
My tank fills out fast and is almost full, shutoff switch maintains pressure about 40 psi in the tank and I see pressure 80-90 psi before membrane while booster is operating.I do not remember so good water stream from my RO faucet. If I don't take water after automatic power shut off, the booster will not start for hours. It is quiet if you secure plastic tubing properly otherwise it does generate some noise because pump's vibration transmits to tubing however pump itself is very quiet.Overall, positive result is obvious. I just have to admit some RO systems on market already include booster pump for the price just 2 times more than this booster itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pump works great, August 26, 2013
After reading multiple sites as to why the water storage tank was not filling fast enough...only able to get 3-5 gallons a day...now, with the pump, I have not run the tank dry. So, very pleased in finding the solution was low water pressure. We live on a farm with a well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy install and works, April 14, 2012
Install was very easy and it increased the volume out of the RO tap. I also installed the permeate pump too. Full tank of 3 gallons recharges in 45 min!

Only thing that was annoying was when the pump is on, it makes a low freq rumble noise, despite the rubber isolators.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job., March 29, 2012
We needed a booster pump for an in-home RO water system. The pump increased the pressure to the sink and ice-maker. Very quiet and works great

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite and effective, March 14, 2014
I just installed the pump and was actually surprised how quiet it is. Maybe in a super quiet room you could hear it running but with normal household background noise (aquarium, ceiling fans, outside noise) I had to touch the pump to be sure it was running.
Production on my 150GPD RO system was at about 140GPD without this pump; with the pump I've shot up to 240GPD. Those numbers are with no tank back pressure, the tanks were off and spigot open.
I do wish it shipped with an 80PSI pressure switch, I'm going to have to purchase one separately as I've been sure to only install parts that are rated to 100PSI in my entire system.
If you want more water and want it faster get one of these pumps or, I guess, the 8800 version for even more flow.
Installation was simple. cut two water tubes (feed and tank) put the pump inline on the feed tube and the switch inline on the tank pressure tube. Plug in the transformer to an unswitched outlet and connect up the low voltage lines (they are keyed and not interchangeable, i.e. they only hook up the correct way).

5.0 out of 5 stars Very quiet and works well!, September 6, 2014
SargentNg (San Gabriel, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Bought as a replacement pump for my Watts zero waste reverse osmosis water filter system. We use a lot of filtered water. The pump works very well, is very quiet, and hopefully will be as reliable as the first. With normal reverse osmosis systems that output brine to the drain, the increased pressure will improve membrane filtration efficiency. It's required for zero waste systems to output the brine into the hot water line.

The original pump was 5 years old and still works but pulled too much current and burnt out the transformer. Awesome reliability. I bought a replacement diaphragm and the larger 8800 transformer to use the old pump as a backup. The diaphragm is supposed to be replaced every 2-3 years and is pretty easy to do. Just undo the screws and pull apart. It's easy to do it the same time you replace the membrane filter.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good, June 8, 2012
I bought this to go along Watts WP5-50 Premier Five-Stage Manifold Reverse Osmosis Water Treatment System
by Watts(which is also very good product, and has a huge tank and can take a long time to fill ). I am glad I installed the pump beneath my kitchen sink along with the filter, because it helps fill the tank much faster. Trust me it will make things easier for you.... You will love it.
I gave it 4 stars only because it was a bit expensive..... It was a lot by the time I paid for both ( the pump and reverse osmosis).
But It is still a {must- have thing}