Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Watts Premier 560043 Water Filtration Booster Pump Kit
Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on January 11, 2012
I realize not everyone out there owns an RO (reverse osmosis) system and perhaps even fewer have one connected to their refrigerator. But if you do, you may want to consider this...

We've owned an RO system since 1994, in fact we still have it. During that time we connected it to our old Maytag refrigerator's ice maker and water dispenser. Neither worked reliably or well. When the ice maker wasn't literally shooting ice cubes horizontally out the cup, it would continually freeze and malfunction (as ice makers do).

Due to abnormally high frequency of repairs the only redeeming value we derived from the parade of service technicians was the opportunity to pick their brains. Time after time, each confirmed why the door mounted water dispenser was so agonizingly slow delivering water. It was primarily due to the reduced pressure from the RO system. Since the storage tank bladder and pressure were operating within spec this made sense.

While having an RO system does provide a cleaner (no minerals) source of water, the downside is low water pressure plays havoc with ice-makers creating "ice dams" that block the H2O feeder tube. The internal ice-maker switch depends on a minimum amount of water pressure to engage. RO system pressure is typically around 7 PSI which dramatically less than city water pressure (about 30-60 PSI depending where you live). Inevitably the refrigerator water line (necessary for ice making) will freeze-up disabling the ice-maker and significantly reduce flow through the door H2O dispenser.

Just about every refrigerator manufacturer recognizes this issue and addresses it within their respective owners manual. Our new Samsung is no exception. In fact, after contacting them and they highly recommend installing a water booster pump specifically for the reasons mentioned above.

So after doing some research I found this Premier model on Amazon (coincidentally from the same manufacturer of our RO system) and ordered it for less than Premier's own website price.

Since I installed it the same time we received our new Samsung I can't definitively state any measurable improvement. But compared with the previous Maytag, water flow is noticeably faster and dispensing pressure is higher (based on observation with pump turned on and off). I realize it may be too soon to report (almost 2 months) but best of all we haven't experienced any ice issues. While I can't unequivocally state this pump is making all the difference, I do feel confident it is helping prevent any recurrence of similar ice-maker issues... so far, so good.

If you've ever replaced your RO system filters, have experience with basic tools (semi-skilled with home repairs) you can easily install this. If not, it shouldn't cost much to have someone do it, I was able to install ours in about 20 minutes. After depressurizing the RO system (same as during a filter change); mount the pump vertically to any wall (under the sink); splice one RO water line; re-pressurize the system; plug the pump into a standard 120VAC outlet (typically available under most sinks for dishwashers and disposals) and your good to go.

As for the pump, it operates automatically (on-demand) and is exceptionally quiet, we never notice it working...
66 comments| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 5, 2012
Works great, very quite and a must for ice maker/water dispenser. Before installing ice cubes were very small and only a trickle of water came out of the water dispenser. After installation found the pressure somewhat better but still not as good as before installing the RO system. Found specs on the pressure switch that comes with the pump and was able to adjust the pressure setting, which improved the water pressure to pre-RO.

The pressure switch is marked 40psi but the manufacture said the range is 40-60psi. There is a small Allen screw on the switch and by screwing it in you can increase the pressure at which the pump shuts down.
review image
on April 28, 2015
There seems to be a lot of contradicting information about this pump, so I'll do my best to describe my experience.

Compatibility: This works will ALL types of RO units. It does NOT have to be a Watts RO unit. You are simply boosting water from Point A to Point B and connecting to standard-sized tubing. Except for the modifications to my refrigerator filter (see next section), all hardware and fittings needed for installation on my 10-year old GE RO system were included. Pump installation took about 10 minutes.

Ice Makers: The reason I bought this was to boost pressure to the ice maker in my new refrigerator. This pump solved the problem, but I also bypassed the the built-in filter that came with the refrigerator (you don't need the basic refrigerator filter if you have an RO system, plus the basic filter is robbing you of precious water pressure). I cut the two lines going to/from the refrigerator filter and coupled the upstream lines together with a $5 quick-coupler (5/16" in my case) from Home Depot, bypassing the filter. Note that this may void your warranty, so you can usually buy a $50 "dummy" filter to plug in if needed. In my case I couldn't just remove the refrigerator filter or the ice maker and water dispenser would quit working, so I had to bypass it.

Upstream vs. Downstream of the RO Unit: I installed mine upstream of the RO unit per the instructions. RO membranes filter water by pressure differential across the membrane, so you want the higher pressure on the upstream side (city water or well water supply side) to make RO water faster. It definitely fills the RO tank quicker than before, in addition to creating enough pressure for the ice maker.

Pressure Adjustment: I did increase the pressure by turning the screw. Someone mentioned that they increased the pressure and the pump never shut off. This is because all centrifugal pumps will 'dead head' (the pump is spinning but not pushing any water) when the downstream pressure exceeds the 'shutoff head'. If this happens, simply turn the screw the other way to decrease pressure until the pump shuts off. And then decrease another 1/2 turn. Note: The adjustment screw is cheap and the hex head sides started to strip after a few adjustments, so don't plan on messing with this too much.

Noise / Vibration: There was some vibration initially (installed under my kitchen sink). I wrapped an old towel around a board and placed the pump on top, which dampened the vibration enough that the pump is not even noticeable when it's running.

Hopefully this will be helpful to someone!
on March 14, 2014
I just installed the pump and was actually surprised how quiet it is. Maybe in a super quiet room you could hear it running but with normal household background noise (aquarium, ceiling fans, outside noise) I had to touch the pump to be sure it was running.
Production on my 150GPD RO system was at about 140GPD without this pump; with the pump I've shot up to 240GPD. Those numbers are with no tank back pressure, the tanks were off and spigot open.
I do wish it shipped with an 80PSI pressure switch, I'm going to have to purchase one separately as I've been sure to only install parts that are rated to 100PSI in my entire system.
If you want more water and want it faster get one of these pumps or, I guess, the 8800 version for even more flow.
Installation was simple. cut two water tubes (feed and tank) put the pump inline on the feed tube and the switch inline on the tank pressure tube. Plug in the transformer to an unswitched outlet and connect up the low voltage lines (they are keyed and not interchangeable, i.e. they only hook up the correct way).
on May 26, 2011
Pump was easy to install, comes with the poly hose quick connects in place and two pieces of poly hose. Mine had the instructions - took 5 min to hook up. My dissolved solids went from 25ppm down to 6 and the product water has increased in volume by quite a bit.
on April 15, 2016
After reading the reviews I was nervous and skeptical about buying this but I really needed it so I took a chance, very glad I did.

First, it's easy to install, if you can install your RO system, you can add this to it if you need more water pressure.

The box I received from inside my Amazon outer box was already open, I wondered if I got somebody's returned item. I did not get the hose that was supposed to be included, it didn't matter since I had some extra hose. I got the pressure switch and the pump and the directions.

The good news is, I installed it all in about 15 minutes complete. I plugged it in and it worked perfect. I did not need to adjust the limit switch, it works perfect. The pump is a surprisingly heavy thing. I had been planning to mount it on the wall under the kitchen sink but I mounted it on the floor instead. From the size and weight of the pump motor you might expect a lot of noise, once again, it's surprisingly quiet. We rarely can ever detect the pump is operating from the noise level, I'd say its downright quiet.

We have an automatic ice maker in our refridgerator and needed the extra pressure to push water from our RO system under the kitchen sink to it. As soon as I plugged this pump in we began making ice, a lot of it.

My RO system is an iSpring unit I bought here on Amazon. We are on a well system at our new home and the RO is NECESSARY but we did not realize we did not have enough water pressure (only 40psi). I contacted iSpring about adding a pump and it turned out to be a real hassle to add one to their RO system. I was depressed until I found this pump on Amazon, it seemed expensive but I was desperate to get our drinking water system online so we could stop buying bottled water. I bought one and I'm very glad, it's a great product. If you're at all handy you won't have any trouble installing this.

One last good feature, the pump is made in America, no wonder it has a nice heavy quality feel.
Wishing you all abundant clean drinking water.
on January 20, 2014
If you intend to hook up an RO system to a refrigerator, chances are good that city tap water will not generate enough pressure for it to work. I bought this expensive kit to able to feed the RO filtered water to the refrigerator for the ice maker and cold water. It works like a champ, and recovery rate for the smallish 5 gallon take is amazingly fast -- 30 minutes.

The cost of this pump is expensive, but it allowed me to not have to use the refrigerator's filter, which as most of you know is pure rip-off at $50 a pop for nearly any fridge these days. And they don't last very long!
on September 6, 2014
Bought as a replacement pump for my Watts zero waste reverse osmosis water filter system. We use a lot of filtered water. The pump works very well, is very quiet, and hopefully will be as reliable as the first. With normal reverse osmosis systems that output brine to the drain, the increased pressure will improve membrane filtration efficiency. It's required for zero waste systems to output the brine into the hot water line.

The original pump was 5 years old and still works but pulled too much current and burnt out the transformer. Awesome reliability. I bought a replacement diaphragm and the larger 8800 transformer to use the old pump as a backup. The diaphragm is supposed to be replaced every 2-3 years and is pretty easy to do. Just undo the screws and pull apart. It's easy to do it the same time you replace the membrane filter.
on November 17, 2014
The small screw that is used to adjust the water pressure was missing. After a quick visit to the hardware store, I had this working in no time. Wasn't worth my time to ship it back, but was an inconvenience to have to spend my time and money on something that should have worked right out of the box. Needs better quality control.

The pressure switch sometimes doesn't work if the pressure builds up slowly. It needs a sudden increase in pressure to work reliably. A simple tap on the pressure switch will get it to switch off once the pressure is over the desired set point.

Currently using this for a reverse osmosis water filter to increase the water pressure for optimal filter efficiency. Does an ok job, but I've seen better units out there.
on March 10, 2015
This was the perfect companion to my RO/DI filter system. It raised my inlet pressure from 20PSI to 60PSI and my yield and filtration rate skyrocketed. My system is rated for 75GPD and I was getting about 20GPD. After adding this my 20 gallons of production now only takes about 5 hours, that's about 96GPD and my waste is reduced by more than 80%.