4.0 out of 5 stars Great Toy - Great Tool
I think this my 5th or 6th product from Leatherman. Why did I buy it? Because it is black. Just waaaaaay cooler than a regular Wave.

Published on December 17, 2008 by Frank

1.0 out of 5 stars No sheith included nor cap crimper
Great tool but doesn't come with the Sheith nor the cap crimper. Buy this somewhere else. Really annoying as you can imagine.
Published 6 months ago by Nisnis

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Toy - Great Tool, December 17, 2008
Frank (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wave Multi-tool with Nylon Shealth and Cap Crimper (Tools & Home Improvement)

Why not five stars, then? The product has a few minor flaws: just like the regular Wave, the bit holder is a little bit on the weak side - no big deal, really. What really can be a bit of a problem is that the smaller blades, can opener etc. are impossible to get out when the tool is new (hint use a small coin and lots of WD-40). Maybe the black oxide coating is resulting in higher friction between the parts - dunno, but something the engineers at Leatherman should look into.

Do I recommend the product? Absolutely. Best form factor, good value for money. Does it HAVE to be the black version? Maybe not. I have both - the black one is to show off, the regular (stainless) one gets used a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Leatherman Wave Black Oxide, January 29, 2011
A Kid's Review
Purchased for a go-bag. Needed a tool that is both tough, complete, and not too heavy. Leatherman does the trick with a good mix of useful gadgets that work right alongside my field gear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely essential tool, December 4, 2013
Amazing tool. I'm a Park Ranger and I measure this things usefulness in the amount of trips to my truck tool box it saves me and it has saved a ton. A great amount of useful tools here and they are built very solid. I've used it to loosen bolts, remove screws, cut wire, remove small vines, rescue birds tangled in fishing line, cut bait for fishing programs, etc. I've generally started carrying it everywhere with me now even in my personal life because it's so handy and the outside access blades can't be beat (seriously, after using this, I can't figure why they were ever on the inside in other multi tools). The only negative thing I can say is that I occasionally get concerned with how it performs with a fair amount of torque from yours truly on the end. It will sometimes twist and such just enough to make me think I'm going to break it. Don't know if it's a warranted fear or not but I'm occasionally concerned. Also they give the option of the silver version or the black version, like it's really a choice, the black version just looks SO much sleeker! Highly recommend this to friends and would buy more in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really cool multi tool, August 17, 2012
J. Kim (Philadelphia, PA United States) - See all my reviews
However, its not perfect.

It fails to work in a true emergency.
Do you want to know what that is?

1 cold Beer in a bottle
1 thirsty guy
1 Leatherman Wave Black

=

One thirsty, frustrated guy, and one unopened bottle of beer, and one unused multitool.

The original (first-gen) Wave had a bottle opener. I don't understand why its missing it....

Correction: The can/bottle opener has a bad angle. The bottom "thumb" on the old wave's can/bottle opener has about 1/4 inch flat clearance so that the bottlecap would lock underneath it. This newfangled wave, the clearance above the thumb is much less. Even worse, its kind of curved, so you can't actually fit most bottlecaps between the thumb and the cutting edge of the can opener. Stupid, really.

4.0 out of 5 stars Leatherman quality, November 7, 2013
Smart deal, good prices, nice tool, but had problems whit the currier.
The tool is black, compact, beautiful and useful, the wave its way better than the sidekick

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't be dissatisfied., September 21, 2013
Great quality tool with an unbeatable warranty. It's sturdy, attractive, has a single handed opening mechanism, and is not too bulky. Another reason why I love this it is because it's made in the USA.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this Leatherman!, August 6, 2012
I had been looking for a replacement for my Leatherman Core. After several years of hard use, I had broken most of the screwdrivers and needed to ship it off for repair. Being that I use my Leatherman almost daily, there was no way I could go a couple weeks without one while it was getting repaired.

After using the Wave for a couple of weeks I am extremely pleased with the product, and love the upgrades/changes that it has in comparison to the Core. Personally I really enjoying that the main blades can be used with the tool closed, I hated needing to open the Core to use the knife. The black oxide coating made the tool VERY stiff for the first couple of uses, but after opening/closing the tool many times it works smoothly now.

I have always had problems being able to get the internal tools out for use by hand (screwdriver, can opener, etc..). The Wave is no different. The only tool that I can get out with my finger is the large bit driver, everything else on the inside requires help from either a key or coin.

Overall, I would recommend this Leatherman to my friends/family and anyone reading this review. I would also recommend buying the large MOLE sheath, bit extender, and 40 bit accessory kits to go along with the Wave.

5.0 out of 5 stars awsome, February 4, 2012
wanda spencer (BROOKTONDALE, NY, US) - See all my reviews
This tool is great and work as expected, The knife and the scissors are very sharp, and I love the cap crimper. Compaired to the charge TTI it is the same but about 40 dollars cheaper great value. Amazon is a awsome Company, Leatherman 830489 Wave Black Oxide w/Cap Crimper

4.0 out of 5 stars My first REAL multitool., June 1, 2014
I've had cheap (sub-$20) multitools before but I wanted a good one. My research led me to the Wave, it was just a bit spendy for the time and most prices I saw everywhere were around $89.

I bought this one when I saw a decent price on it here on Amazon. The blades come sharp which is a plus. I also bought the 21 piece bits for it. I don't use the nylon sheath, and I don't 'get' the cap-crimper thing - I don't set explosives or see how it would work.

I made a leather belt case for it that holds the Wave, both bit sets, a Fenix flashlight, and a Fisher space pen. I really like it but with all that it gets quite heavy on my belt.

I'm giving it 4 stars for now because of the large size and weight. I haven't really tested it much under stress and will be taking it to a survival class later this summer. It's hard for me to EDC because of a 'no weapons' policy at work but it has been getting used around the house.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nearly perfect Multi-tool but not without limitations, May 16, 2014
First off, I have been using multitools for over a decade. I have an old Victorinox Swisstool which is still in use and is mostly a great tool, a Gerber which I am hot and cold on and the Wave. The Swisstool, not surprisingly has by far the best fit and finish, and I would say that the LMW is clearly best overall. I should preface all of my comments as follows: I am a pretty heavy actual tool user and I view all multitools skeptically and as the big compromises that they are; ie neither particularly good tools (screw driver, pliers, saw) nor particuarly good pocket knives, they are just the most portable efficient hybrid of both. I use them solely to save me a trip down a ladder or, down to the basement or in some cases (eg when hiking or in my car) when I dont have ready access to my real tools; the old addage that the best tool for the job is sometimes just the one you have with you when you need it, comes to mind.
As such the Swiss tool lives in my kitchen "junk" drawer the gerber lives in my bug out/ camp bag and the Leatherman stays in my ruck and as such is with me most frequently.

The Good,

1) the Pliers on the leatherman are solid and come to a decent needle nose point, the swisstool by comparison never quite gets there which reduces a lot of utility in this context I have found.

2) external access to frequently used tools. the knives (serrated and plain) as well as saw and file can be accessed very easily when the tool is closed. In contrast the swiss tool has all the on board tools on the outsides of the handles which reduces the comfort of the pliers somewhat, and most annoyingly the Gerber requires that you open tool fully to access anything.

3) liner locks on all bladed tools

4) "spyder hole" type thumb traction on the blades

5) tool can be opened one handed

6) Pretty respectable MOLLE compatible pouch

The Less Good,

1) Fit and finish is not great, not poor but not amazing (e.g blades are a bit off true, and have funny grind angles, some touch surface feel unfinished)

2) Black oxide coating is a mess, continuously coming off on my hands

3) some of the smaller tools are fiddly and (at least on mine) cannot be taken out with out opening thier neighbor as well.

Overall happy with purchase. The wave despite some draw backs is by far the best multi tool that I have encountered.

JMA