5.0 out of 5 stars good book
great book on California Indians and very informative.I like the stories,they are becoming scarce.our people have many stories to tell,and these are well told thanks!
Published 14 months ago by lisa gay anderson

3.0 out of 5 stars The forgotten California
This is a good reference book, useful but sprinkled with a little resentment. Justifiable resentment, but not useful to documenting the native peoples of the west.

Stephen Estopinal, Author: El Tigre de Nueva Orleans
Published on July 11, 2010 by Stephen V. Estopinal

5.0 out of 5 stars good book, May 28, 2013
lisa gay anderson (SEATTLE, WASHINGTON, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Way We Lived, The: California Indian Stories, Songs & Reminiscences (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book -- Way We Lived, April 10, 2013
The content is what was expected and provided some insight of how the predecessors lived in America. The life of the Indians in California was not glamorous yet it was not expected as much. The way of life was hard but rewarding. They lived off the land and preserved it in its natural state.

There was no processed food, television, cars, corporations, etc. It was a time of ingenuity in making tools for the tribes in order to hunt and provide for their families. Life was centered on family and friends; not money and materials.

I wish I lived during those times; even if I had to endure hardship it would have been rewarding to have spent my time on earth helping my tribe and others.

Thus it is a great read in gathering a different perspective of life and perhaps a great way to change it for the better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Story Gems in a Proper Setting, December 7, 2013
This collection of stories, told by the people who lived them is an exceptional view of life in California before the white invaders came. Margolin weaves these tales together very well, giving context where needed and providing the proper setting for these slice of life gems. The book paints a realistic picture of human beings who chose for thousands of years to live at one with their surroundings and their own traditions, rather than subjugate nature. Would I choose that life? I doubt it. But do I value the Indians' perspective and spiritual sense of the world? Absolutely. And I also wish that the foreigners who came to California and stole from and subjugated the natives, would have valued them and their world view too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book sent to an inmate & he was well pleased with book & I was pleased with timely delivery, July 12, 2014
Book sent to an inmate & he was well pleased with book & I was pleased with timely delivery. Thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars fastest shipping!, August 2, 2013
I ordered this book for college and it arrived very quickly. even before the actual estimated arrival date I don't remember if the book was purchased new or used but it definitely could have been sold as new.

3.0 out of 5 stars The forgotten California, July 11, 2010

Stephen Estopinal, Author: El Tigre de Nueva Orleans

Way We Lived, The: California Indian Stories, Songs & Reminiscences
Way We Lived, The: California Indian Stories, Songs & Reminiscences by Malcolm Margolin (Paperback - October 1, 1992)
$16.95 $14.68