4.0 out of 5 stars Good show for those who get it
I thought this movie was good. I like the way story was told. I didn't have a problem following the story with all the flash backing because of the color and look of the different times. I can understand how this film could be dissapointing and confusing for some people. The cover and the trailer might give the impression that it's an action movie but it's really not...
Published on January 26, 2011 by Lil' T

1.0 out of 5 stars Wow. Just...wow.
Published on August 16, 2010 by Scott

1.0 out of 5 stars Wow. Just...wow., August 16, 2010
This review is from: Way of War (DVD)
There are no words to adequately convey what a horrible, horrible atrocity this thing is. Please understand, I enjoy bad movies. They're fun. This, though...this was not fun. This is bad on a whole new level, one I have never experienced. You ever wince at spoken dialogue? Like, visibly WINCE? Me neither, until about five minutes in. And it doesn't stop. Not ever. Know anything about how special operations work? No? Watch this movie and know even LESS. You will quite literally accrue a negative balance of tactical knowledge, possibly creating some kind of singularity in the process that erases all known combat doctrine from existence. Don't worry though, because you'll more than make up for that in Sun Tzu quotes. There's like a million of them here. In this movie everyone in the entire world has read Sun Tzu, and they're not bashful about sharing that fact with everyone else. MAN. I mean, I just finished watching this, and my mind is just...blown. It's blown. Even more mind-blowing, though, is that other people have rated this movie at five stars. I want to meet these people. I really, honestly want to meet them, because I'm pretty sure I have never met anyone like them before, and cannot fathom the inner workings of a fellow human being that would derive that much pleasure from this movie. I can only imagine that they're fascinating. So, while I'm giving this movie one star, I'm simultaneously recommending it to anyone who wants to expand their understanding as to what a bad movie can truly be. It's almost transcendental.

1.0 out of 5 stars Simply Awful, May 5, 2009
This review is from: Way of War (DVD)
This movie is a cheap attempt to cash in on the public's dislike for our former president. It's got almost no coherent plot line and the action scenes are just stupid. Furthermore, the ending is horrible and leaves the viewer wondering what happened to the rest of the movie.

The basic plot is that paramilitary operative David Wolfe uncovers a plot between Osama Bin Laden and the U.S. government to keep him alive because the government needs "enemies" to create heroes.

The problem is, that "message" is all there is to this movie. Without the information on the back of the DVD case I could have never figured out who Gooding's character worked for, and it's still never made clear if he's working on behalf of the U.S. government or if there are rogue elements in the government who hatched this plot to keep Bin Laden alive.

The action scenes which are supposed to take place in Pakistan are also simply stupid. They don't clear a room in any way that's believable for anybody who's even just watched it done in other movies. The other action scenes that take place in DC are also done horribly. Characters die, sometimes in violent ways, and there's no real reason given for it.

If a director and screen writer want to make a movie that alleges the U.S. government is involved in some sort of conspiracy, at least make it believable. This one isn't. I guess Cuba Gooding Jr. needed the cash because I can't see any reason why he should have liked this script, it's awful.

1.0 out of 5 stars Confusing story at best, February 13, 2009
This review is from: Way of War (DVD)
I could never figure out what happened first or next because the timeline goes back and forth during the whole movie. I could never figure out who Cuba Gooding was working for. Was he a soldier or a merc? Wasn't clear. If he was special forces, he needs to go back to school to learn how to clear a room. Also, don't they teach these guys about noise discipline? Why were they just yakking away in the middle of indian country like a bunch of newbs? Professional operators use hand signals.

1.0 out of 5 stars ENGLISH closed captions - what a joke, March 23, 2009
This review is from: Way of War (DVD)
This could have been an interesting movie but it just wasn't. The ENGLISH closed captions did not match or came WAY AFTER the actors spoke their lines, making it impossible to watch. If you are deaf or hearing impaired do not bother to rent or purchase this film.
I like Cuba Gooding Jr but this was a big disappointment.

1.0 out of 5 stars Tripe!, April 10, 2009
This review is from: Way of War (DVD)
If you need to think the worst about the US government, this movie is for you. The premise that high officials including the president are in collusion with Osama Bin Laden and that government assassins roam the country killing citizens Putin style is abhorrent. That said the movie is simply not believable. The action scenes came from the imagination of one who has never been near combat. I like Cuba Gooding, but he demeaned himself by being part of this outrage. I gave it one star because nagative stars are not an option.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wrong Way!!, March 30, 2009
This review is from: Way of War [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I selected 1 star, only so that nobody would think that I'd forgotten to select an overall rating. But it really deserves zero stars.

This movie is awful. I'm a fan of Cuba Gooding, and that's the reason I decided to rent it even though there are no reviews on the box (not even from obscure critics).

The plot is a joke (more on that next paragraph), there's no action (don't be fooled by the cover), there are no special effects, there's nothing worth seeing. The dialogue is sophomoric, the acting is way below average, and the directing/editing are what you'd expect from a first-year film student at a bad film school. In fact the whole thing seems like something a few kids put together borrowing their dad's video camera and taking $400 out of their college funds to budget to film.

The plot consists of Gooding, a special operative, who has flash-backs to a recent mission, where his job was to apparently sit in a brightly lighted gymnasium in combat gear with two other operatives (one of them JK Simmons of Spider Man, Lady Killers and Juno fame) and discuss war cliches. Lots of flashbacks to this. Then two of them get shot without even so much as a muzzle-flash or blood stain, just a pop and they slump over. Then in-between flashbacks, federal agents are trying to kill Gooding -- for no good reasons except some embarrassment over the mission, which is not explained -- he ends up getting shot, and is saved by a quick-mart owner who sews up his wound, and gets him involved in a boxing match the next day. Gooding has a love interest that isn't connected to the story in any way. There's some blues-bar involved in the begining and end, but like everything else in the movie, there is no reason provided, no connection.

This movie just ambles from one badly-lit, two dollar, pointless scene to the next without story, without direction, without acting, without action.

If you want to spend 90 minutes wondering how Cuba Gooding got mixed up in this low-budget, mindless, soul-less film, then you can always rent it for a dollar. But certainly don't buy it, you'll be doubly dissapoointed.

Its not the worst movie I've ever seen, but its the worst movie I've ever seen that had an actor like Cuba Gooding in it. He's gotta be embarrassed. In fact, if I were him, I'd be thinking about suing my agent, or the producer of the film for damages, because this film damages Cuba Gooding.

IF ANYONE WERE TO EVER SAY ANYTHING GOOD ABOUT THIS MOVIE, THEY'D BE STRUCK BY LIGHTENING.

1.0 out of 5 stars One of the worst, June 28, 2009
This review is from: Way of War (DVD)
Choppy, incoherent, wildly paranoid and the supposed hero played by Cuba Gooding would have had to be an X-Man to pull off some of the ridiculous things he did. This movie takes itself so seriously that I did manage to get a few laughs out of it. Don't waste your time.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a good movie., June 18, 2009
Cris Calle (Columbus, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Way of War (DVD)
This movie was horrible. I like Gooding Jr., but this is some of his worst work. I was lost from the beginning.

1.0 out of 5 stars 3rd Rate Flop, May 19, 2009
This review is from: Way of War (DVD)
There is not much to say except the movie was a third rate flop. Very poorly acted and directed. I was shock at the over poor quality of the movie.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time!, August 27, 2009
bnoff (Portland, OR) - See all my reviews
This may very well be the worst movie I've ever seen. After watching this, I felt like I had wasted an hour and a half of my life. The acting is boring. There really is no action as expected by the title and cover. The movie ends with numerous unanswered questions. I kept watching expecting the plot to resolve. It didn't. By the time the credits finally appeared, I was disappointed and confused. Don't watch it.

Way of War
Way of War by John Carter (DVD - 2009)
$19.98 $10.80