5.0 out of 5 stars Practical Information and a True Resource
This is the best book I've ever read on signage and wayfinding. Most books in this category have lots of pictures with little to no practical information as to the how and why the system works.

Published on September 9, 2006 by R. Smits

1.0 out of 5 stars A substantial disappointment
Based upon my professional interest in the way that people navigate in space (I am a geographer) and the very positive reviews I purchased a copy of this book. My

negative assessment is based upon two things:

Published on January 23, 2007 by Duane Marble

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical Information and a True Resource, September 9, 2006

The best thing about the book is that it is divided into chapters that cover nearly every type of building and the differences that need to be accounted for when designing signage and wayfinding systems for them. For example, how you design for an airport is different than how you design for a hospital which is different from the needs of a museum, etc. The end of each chapter then provides a very practical bullet point summary of best practices and things to keep in mind when creating the system. This summary is a great reference tool which you'll find yourself going back to again and again.

Besides hospitals, airports and museums, the book also has chapters on sports stadiums, corporate settings, urban wayfinding systems and just about every other niche disipline where signage and wayfinding would be used.

I agree with the editorial review that says this book is essential reading for professional graphic designers and students, town planners, architects and facility managers. Excellent!

5.0 out of 5 stars great resource, October 27, 2006
This book is a must have at my office. As someone who writes and designs wayfinding programs, I find myself often referring to this book. It contains step-by-step guidelines for producing successful wayfinding programs and is chock full of useful information on topics such as map design, symbols, legibility, colors and sign placement. Much of this information is gleaned from project audits, research studies and/or contributed by some of the best, most experienced minds in the business. Where else can you get all of this valuable information in one place?

The book is beautifully produced, in an easy-to-read format, and contains full-color pictures of well designed wayfinding signs and other elements.

When I'm not using this book, I leave it on display in my reception area. Visitors love looking through the book and I believe they gain a new appreciation of wayfinding by doing so. That's another benefit of the book for me. Therefore, I highly recommend this book by Craig Berger.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wayfinding, March 29, 2008
Duke Windsor (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Wayfinding: Designing and Implementing Graphic Navigational Systems

After over 10 years in the museum business it is important to not over do signage and wayfinding. I must say this is a wonderful book that gives a detailed view of wayfinding principles. I highly recommend this book for all interior and museum design professionals.

Duke Windsor
Exhibits Director
USS Midway Museum
San Diego CA

4.0 out of 5 stars a global vision in wayfinding, February 20, 2007
es un libro donde abarcas todas las manifestaciones de la senalizacion en los ambientes urbanos, muy completo con lista de recomendaciones en cada uno de los capitulos (mapas, minusvalidos, exteriores, etc.)

Una gran compra

4.0 out of 5 stars Wayfinding Design Review, January 11, 2007
J. Harding (Nashville, TN) - See all my reviews
Excellent content - a must have for anyone in the wayfinding profession. An excellent reference for those in related design professions; i.e. Architecture, Interiors, Planning, etc.

1.0 out of 5 stars A substantial disappointment, January 23, 2007
Duane Marble (Florence, OR USA) - See all my reviews

negative assessment is based upon two things:

(1) From a content standpoint the author completely ignores the substantial work that has been done in the social and biological sciences on wayfinding (see, for example, R.G. Golledge (ed), Wayfinding Behavior: Cognitive Mapping and Other Spatial Processes).

(2) From a physical standpoint the book is nearly unreadable due to the decision to utilize an inappropriate font in too small a point size in a black upon bright yellow background. (The point size is also reduced for

some figure captions.) As a counterpoint, some pages are printed in white on black. There is an occasional page with black type on a white background but even here the inappropriate choice of point size defeats the reader.

Since I cannot read the book with out serious eyestrain, I am returning my copy to Amazon.

Wayfinding: Designing and Implementing Graphic Navigational Systems
Wayfinding: Designing and Implementing Graphic Navigational Systems by Craig Berger (Paperback - February 1, 2009)
Used & New from: $30.75